Duke4.net Forums: Selected Strife Contents - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Selected Strife Contents

User is offline   NY00123 

* Just a minor message for the forum moderators: If you think this topic fits in a different forum (such as "Hosted Projects"), then you can move it to there; I'm a bit unsure, as what I'm linking to here is hosted on duke4.net.

Update (April 12th, 2012): The update to this post added on April 8th has been edited. A URL change is one cause. I also feel it's somewhat more appropriate in a few ways.

Update (April 8th, 2012): Well, I think that I've got very good news for now! (I'd like to say awesome news, but maybe lower the tone...?)
Looks like our old friend Mav has accidentally found this forum topic, after doing an unrelated web search engine. He's told about writing some program that turned the original Strifes' frames (from the older This/That Strife website) into larger images (so there is one image per comic). Now, gradually, the comics are to be (automatically) uploaded for watching again!
The automation is set to upload one comic per Monday. As an exception, the first week has had 4 comics up (3 on Sunday and 1 on Monday).

Mav's new page for the Strifes: http://www.thatstrife.com/ (Yes, it's no surprise if the URL sounds familiar!)

I do intend to upload these as well, considering what the shutdowns of the original Strife websites (and the later Strife Strips backup site) have taught me (and possibly others)...
I can't promise I will upload them weekly as done by Mav (as it'd probably be manual here, not automatic).

EDIT: Alright, the first three comics are now up on the "Selected Strife Contents" section as a backup!
EDIT 2: And so is the fourth!

--- Original Post (possibly with a few of its own edits) ---

Hey all,

Well, as I've already told in two places (actually web pages...), I'm going to repeat it:
Before anybody gets potentially disappointed, I'm warning there is much less than what would some hope for.

Alright, lets begin with the link (please read the notes before continuing): http://ny.duke4.net/strife.html

---

And now, onto a brief description:
Some of you may remember a website or more with Duke (and Build) related comics, under one of the following names, at least: This Strife, That Strife and Strife Strips.
In the beginning, during the "This Strife" period, there were many comics to read, gradually added over the time, and even some community around the site. At some point, due to technical issues, "This Strife" got renamed to "That Strife".
Some years from the beginning, though, and things had begun to gradually shrink. Truly, this is not an uncommon thing. Eventually, there were a few last comics on "Strife Strips", although somewhat short. Again, I guess it's just a usual thing, with the lots of "hype" disappearing after some time.

Unfortunately, I have made the mistake of not making a backup of the comics before the sites went down. Yes, I may have not read them *that* often, but it can still be nice to re-read some of them at least, once the topic pops up in your head.
There was, in fact, a (relatively) short period with some alternative "backup" site (and URL) hosted for strifestrips.com, but that's gone as well now, probably due to the lack of interest as there was long before.

And yet, I could find (very) few of the contents on the Internet Archive. Not so many, yes, but there's still something! I've even got into adding not just a bit of comics and videos related pages, but also a few other kinds of pages.
It has taken a while to prepare even a little portion of the actual pages, and there are still a lot of contents which may be somewhat "full", but not up for showing publicly (it's just a bit messy).

---

One final note: It would be more than helpful if anybody has more Strife contents (mainly comics and videos) that can't really be found online now.
It does not mean I'd process them immediately, as that can really take some *days* (if not more). However, even the mere fact that I'd have a backup would already give out a great feeling here :) (Quite biased, isn't it...?) And who knows, maybe even a simple "FTP-Like" browsing of comics can be done, but I really can't tell for now.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 12 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Aw...sorry to hear about the problems.

I wish I had more to help, I do have the one strip I made with your awesome Strip maker thing though. It was featured on there at one point, but sadly that's all that I personally have. V_V If you're still wanting to put those up I can post it here, if not hehe not a big deal. ;3

I did love reading the Strife Strips and the Strife Toons. :3 They were some major highlights to my boring days during my internship back in College. xD

View PostJinroh, on 27 March 2012 - 04:56 AM, said:

I wish I had more to help, I do have the one strip I made ... If you're still wanting to put those up I can post it here, if not hehe not a big deal. ;3

Oh yes, any single comic, strip or video is more than welcome! And, while it may not be the case for now, one knows that 1+1+1+...+1 is a lot :D

with your awesome Strip maker thing

Oh thanks; But, I think you mean Peter's Strip Editor? :wub: (Well, maybe I'd add that I was never an admin/moderator/etc in any Strife website/forum, nor I've ever directly contributed (:)) )

I did love reading the Strife Strips and the Strife Toons. :3 They were some major highlights to my boring days during my internship back in College. xD

I can sense the feeling... was fun to read these for me as well.

For the rest of the readers, I do know that people tend to read short things and skip long things. Thus, I'm repeating this: :)

View PostNY00123, on 25 March 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

One final note: It would be more than helpful if anybody has more Strife contents (mainly comics and videos) that can't really be found online now.
It does not mean I'd process them immediately, as that can really take some *days* (if not more). However, even the mere fact that I'd have a backup would already give out a great feeling here :D (Quite biased, isn't it...?) And who knows, maybe even a simple "FTP-Like" browsing of comics can be done, but I really can't tell for now.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostNY00123, on 27 March 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Oh thanks; But, I think you mean Peter's Strip Editor? :wub: (Well, maybe I'd add that I was never an admin/moderator/etc in any Strife website/forum, nor I've ever directly contributed (:)) )

Ah ok. xD I wasn't sure if you were the proprietor of the site or not. ;3 I just assumed.

The comic that I did that was featured was this one. Not terrible good, but hey, it was featured. xD Good luck finding the rest, if I find anything I'll be sure to post it back here too. ^^
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 27 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

Thank you very much for the comic! I'd just like to ask, though, if you remember any details about it? I mainly refer to details for identification, like the name and date of posting.
For a list of comics names and release dates, you may go to one of the "A tribute To Build" pages on my Strife section, and check the top-right of the page.

It'd also be good to ask the same for anybody who might have an old comic/video; That is, to give out a few details for identification.

User is offline   Jinroh 

The title was 'Oh Snap - by Tsume' on the dropdown list. ^^

View PostJinroh, on 27 March 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

The title was 'Oh Snap - by Tsume' on the dropdown list. ^^

Thanks for the info! The comic is now up for everyone to read.
Considering the fact I haven't had a lot to prepare (as would happen with a great deal of comics), I've already updated the main Strife page with a link to the comic.

It's also nice to have it on the page as the first (and currently only) "new" Strife Strip, made with the Strip Editor!

EDIT: Actually, it is not :). If you've seen the two other "User submitted" strips (inc. "STOP in the name of Duke"), well, they're of exactly the same kind.
I'm about to merge them with your Strip so they appear together in a list, more or less.

EDIT 2: Alright, I've merged these! Furthermore...

*** A little addition for today: The old "Strip Editor" page is now back. For more details, check via the following link: http://ny.duke4.net/strife.html

This post has been edited by NY00123: 28 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

I've got some very good news to report!
To make it short, Maverick, the one who hosted the Strife websites and now hosts Strife Streams, has accidentally located this forum topic.
As a consequence, he's started a page which currently hosts the first three "This Strife" comics, here: http://www.thatstrife.com/

So, have fun (re)reading!

Here is something I've seen, which might be a bit sad in a way. See the comment right below the quote, though.

Original (first posted 30 October 2000)

Unfortunately the first frame is missing!

Well, guess what: I do remember the first frame to be missing back in the original Strife websites! Or, at least in one of them. One can only wonder what happened back then...

For a few more details you can re-read the first post of this topic (which has just been edited).

EDIT: And now, the first three comics are up on the "Selected Strife Contents" section as a backup.
EDIT 2: ...and so is the fourth.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 12 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Thanks to the efforts of Grandy02 from the PCKF and the blessings of Andrew Kepple (aka Sluggy), most of the original contents of The Chasm of Chills and The Chasm of Strife were backed up, following the assistance of the Internet Archive.
I got the contents from Grandy02, who also did the work of updating some links where it made sense, and added them to here. Just for one example, this covers links from The Chasm of Strife to pages within The Chasm of Chills.

A subset of the contents is still missing. For more details, check out the Selected Strife Contents section: https://ny.duke4.net/strife.html

Just updating that two missing parts of comics are now up:

- Part 2 of Captain Tzarafi (listed as a Sluggy comic) is now back, thanks to no other than Captain Tzarafi himself.
- While the author's notes are still missing, Grandy02 has found page 5 of the comic strip "The Universe Is Toast", a part of TMST's The Chasm of Chills website. This page was backed up by KeenRush.

You can find these in the usual backup. For the "The Universe Is Toast", visit the mostly complete backup of The Chasm of Chills.

Thanks again to Grandy02, two other examples of contents listed as Sluggy comics have been brought back. Namely:
- "COMING SOON -Trailer-" (a Flash animation).
- "Doomed".

As things turned out, I already had the files from the trailer beforehand; They were just split across separate thisstrife and thatstrife trees. Grandy02's find of the contents is independent of this.

I also had the htm page for "Doomed". However, the images were originally linked from a separate website, which had a robots.txt file that excluded the Internet Archive at some point, thus the images weren't available. I think that even if the exclusion was done only after archiving, you still wouldn't see them in the the Internet Archive. It started to ignore robots.txt in 2017, thus leading to Grandy02's later find.

Thanks again to Grandy02 for yet another addition; Namely, about 30 Gothboy comics. These are split into two groups, as they came from separate sources.

Additionally, Grandy02 told me that the missing images from the 100th Strife interviews with Todd and Scott were actually uploaded by me, but to a different folder. As of today, they should appear in the matching interview pages.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options