Duke4.net Forums: Blender 2.7 MD3 Export Script - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blender 2.7 MD3 Export Script

User is offline   Kyanos 

BUMP 2.63 script available in first post.

Cheers, and happy blendering and whatnot

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDrek, on 16 August 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

BUMP 2.63 script available in first post.

Cheers, and happy blendering and whatnot

Good job. ;)

User is offline   Spiker 

Big thanks for that!

User is offline   Kyanos 

Blender just released 2.64
The 2.63 script works with the latest updates ;)
Cheers!!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Cool, thank you!

User is online   blizzart 

I have a question about the md3 plugin. Is there a way to import md3s for modifications or is this just for export. Is an import script available in that case?

• Polymancer

there is one for 2.49b, but Blender won't transfer the vertex animation data over to 2.6x, which sux.

Alternately, use either Misfit Model 3D or Noesis to export in something that Blender likes. You can get the mesh that way, but again, it looses the vertex animation data.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 27 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTea Monster, on 27 November 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

there is one for 2.49b, but Blender won't transfer the vertex animation data over to 2.6x, which sux.

Alternately, use either Misfit Model 3D or Noesis to export in something that Blender likes. You can get the mesh that way, but again, it looses the vertex animation data.

What do you mean it looses vertex animation data? I import md3s that way all the time, the animation is stored in shapekeys. Is there more to the animation that I'm losing?

• Polymancer

I imported the quake Ogre from a variety of sources as an MD3 and one or two other formats. The model was animated when it came into Blender 2.49b, but when it got opened in 2.6x, it was static.

Does the export script work with Blender 2.65?

And another question:
is it normal that I have to activate the plugin everytime I start Blender?

• Polymancer

I've had one or two issues here and there with it.
No, That isn't normal.

Having said that, I just tested it and it loaded the plugin on launch and successfully exported a game model with textures and animations.
I tried it on one of my production meshes and it exported empty air. The model has to be UV'd and be triangulated.

I've not tested if the script recognises the new triangulate and decimate modifiers. Would be cool if it does.

User is offline   Mateos 

View Postblizzart, on 22 December 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

is it normal that I have to activate the plugin everytime I start Blender?

When you've done your modification(s) of settings, you have to save them, so you don't need to set it up again on each restart :)

When set, at the bottom of the settings window, there's a button to save the settings.

This post has been edited by Mateos: 15 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Mateos 

(Bump)

Any update planned for Blender 2.67b?

Some import script? :lol:

User is offline   ReaperMan 

yeah, importing models would be nice.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I'm so distant from this script and blender and python. I won't make an importer in the foreseeable future. I'm good for an update or two though, any bugs with the latest blender? I have yet to use it.

Added:
I grabbed 2.67b and did some quick tests, all seemed well, I didn't push it too far though. Just the basic cube exported to md3 and then opened with npherno. Back to slab 6 :lol:

This post has been edited by Drek: 15 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   Mateos 

Thank you, appreciated! :lol:

If I link you a very old MD3 import script, would you be able to modify it so it works under the current Blender builds?

User is offline   leilei 

In the meantime if you've got Blender 2.49 installed you can use the importer here. Please note that your animations will be a bunch of shape keys, so there isn't much application for use of that beyond re-uvmapping, sculpting, or using as reference for a new mesh.

This post has been edited by leilei: 16 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMateos, on 16 June 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Thank you, appreciated! :lol:

If I link you a very old MD3 import script, would you be able to modify it so it works under the current Blender builds?

You are welcome, and no, sorry but I have that script myself and I also do as leilei says. Once you've made an md3 all you really have left is shape keys. I can't really make an importer that does any better than this. However, I do agree, it can and should be updated to work with current builds, just I'm not there right now, I had to re-install npherno & blender just to run that test last night. I don't even have python on my rig anymore. No idle gui here :lol:

User is offline   Mateos 

It is not urgent, it's already fine to have an answer that quickly :lol:

Take care

User is offline   Kyanos 

So much for my plans with slab 6, I blendered a Star Trek Tri-Dimensional Chess Board today. My daughter and I have been getting into "normal" chess, then she see's this on one of her disney shows, I immediately recognized it. I started this just as a template for a real board, but now I think I may just be able to make a game of this someday :lol:
Attached Image: render_2.pngAttached Image: Layout Blender Units.png
http://en.wikipedia....mensional_Chess

This post has been edited by Drek: 15 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

• Polymancer

Slight thing that may be a good thing to fix. I was doing a tut for the guys over on QuakeOne and noticed that the exporter fills in your blend file name as the name of the MD3 file. Thing is, that it also fills in the extension of your MD3 file as '.blend' which will overwrite your original blend file. I've always just changed it, but new users may have 'issues' with this. Just an idea for a future revision.

Great work on the exporter, it rocks and makes modding Duke possible! Thank you!!!!

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks man.

I guess it may be due for an update after all. I can't believe how long I've been bummin' around here now, this thread is going on 2 years old lol

Blenders at 2.7, wow. I just downloaded it. I've had my head buried into C++ lately :)

Added: Oh yeah within the hour :)

New Update for 2.7 no more accidental .blend overwrites. Filename is now blank on default.
Attached File  io_export_md3.zip (7.42K)
Number of downloads: 497
Added to first post also.

This post has been edited by Drek: 07 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDrek, on 07 April 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Blenders at 2.7, wow. I just downloaded it.
New Update for 2.7 no more accidental .blend overwrites. Filename is now blank on default.

Cheers!
Why not change the thread title to Blender 2.7 MD3 Export Script? Posted Image

• Polymancer

Slightly off-topic, but Drek, your exporter works with 'real' (Quake 3, Cube engine) md3's with tags. You have to parent an empty to the bone in question and name it "tag_nameoftag" i.e.: "tag_wrist". Just thought you would like to know that - also anyone thinking of supporting it in eduke.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Yes, I know about md3 tags, not too sure how useful they would in Eduke32. Then again, I don't quite understand exactly how ID used them in Quake, I've never bothered to look. How can we benefit from tagging an empty?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Finally a working importer!!

For blender 2.6 it says, I confirmed it works with 2.7 too.

I stumbled upon this, it is not my work. http://wiki.blender....port-Export/MD3
Attached File  blender-md3-master.zip (8.97K)
Number of downloads: 697

View PostDrek, on 30 August 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Finally a working importer!!

For blender 2.6 it says, I confirmed it works with 2.7 too.

I stumbled upon this, it is not my work. http://wiki.blender....port-Export/MD3
Attachment blender-md3-master.zip

How can I install this? It doesn´t seem to work for me wit Blender 2.72. :)

User is offline   Kyanos 

from in the zip, the folder "io_scene_md3" goes to "Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\addons"

then just tick the box in blender > user preferences > addons > import-export > Quake 3 model (.md3)
and save user settings

edit:
I just confirmed with a fresh install of 2.72b

This post has been edited by Drek: 08 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

User is offline   KrisFhugz 

guys, i can see that you can export the Shaders too.

But how can i export it? i mean, i already have the Shaders.

And by the way, you can't export tags in 2.7 md3 exporter. but it fixes when you change the code in the scripts : " scene.set_frame" to "scene.frame_set"

i hope someone will give information that how can i export the SHADERS too

User is offline   KrisFhugz 

Seems like there is a problem in phyton script.

elif obj.type == 'EMPTY' :# "I think this is all wrong (matrix location)"

when exported.. ALL tags comes back in median point

This post has been edited by KrisFhugz: 07 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options