Duke4.net Forums: YANG - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

YANG

User is offline   nl3paul3nl 

Greetings, fellow Dukers,

I think it is unessecary for me to ask anybody here if he/she loves Duke, so let's cut to the point. I love Duke! And still play it quite often. Including multiplayer. And that's what I want to talk about, multiplayer. You see, there are still quite some people playing Duke online through YANG (there is more people on Meltdown, I believe, but the creator of Meltdown has done some nasty things that shouldn't be talked about on a forum), but in my opinion enough. So with this topic, I am asking everybody to come back to YANG! Play Duke (3D, that is) with us! It is a ton of fun. I know most people here use EDuke and I know that doesn't really work out in multiplayer, but just download xDuke and you should be fine.

If you need to know anything, just ask. I also made some sort of trailer, as well as a tutorial (excuse me for the horrible mic. used here), so should want to check those out, here you go:

See you in game :)

This post has been edited by nl3paul3nl: 14 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I will try to enter if i can find out what to do :S Just google xduke and yang? And the videoes doesn't work for me :S

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 14 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postrasmus thorup, on 14 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

I will try to enter if i can find out what to do :S Just google xduke and yang? And the videoes doesn't work for me :S

You can download xDuke here: http://vision.gel.ul..._Only_v19.8.zip
And YANG here: http://yang-online.com/downloads.htm

The videos don't work? That's strange. If you need any help setting things up, just ask.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Nice to come home, read this thread, then see all of three people on YANG. One guy trying to host a shareware DOS game, the other two running Icculus Duke. :)
So much for a Dukematch...

User is offline   Lunick 

The music used in your trailer is one of my favourites from Total Meltdown.

Too bad I don't YANG as there are no Australians to play with :/

View PostDrek, on 14 March 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Nice to come home, read this thread, then see all of three people on YANG. One guy trying to host a shareware DOS game, the other two running Icculus Duke. :)
So much for a Dukematch...

Sounds like a bit of a bad timing there, we played an 8-player match. You were probably to late, since we were already gone by that time.

View PostLunick, on 14 March 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

The music used in your trailer is one of my favourites from Total Meltdown.

There are Australians on YANG, just not always. But I don't see why that would be a reason not to play.

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postnl3paul3nl, on 14 March 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

There are Australians on YANG, just not always. But I don't see why that would be a reason not to play.

Ping.

View PostLunick, on 15 March 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Ping.

Ping isn´t everything, I've played enough times with Australians, as well as people from New Zealand. And it played just fine.

User is offline   Lunick 

I have a high ping whenever I play against someone who is not from Australia...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've tried playing with YANG and xDuke, several different times actually. I've jumped through numerous hoops, and I still can't get it to work. It's just not worth the effort. EDuke32's new multiplayer will hopefully make things easy, simple, and most importantly actually work well, allowing dozens more people to play online.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I might try this later. I just bought 3 months of Xbox Live Gold, so I'm probably going to be Dukematching in Duke 3D XBLA for the time being.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostMicky C, on 15 March 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

I've tried playing with YANG and xDuke, several different times actually. I've jumped through numerous hoops, and I still can't get it to work. It's just not worth the effort. EDuke32's new multiplayer will hopefully make things easy, simple, and most importantly actually work well, allowing dozens more people to play online.

And when will that be done? That's a project that could be dragged on for years.

Multiplayer is a huge staple in Duke3D. Unfortunately it's not publicized as much as it should be on these forums. It's more fun playing IOD2 with four people online than it is playing It Lives. It's the funnest mode of gameplay in Duke. Whoever is skipping this completely is truly missing out.

This post has been edited by Radar1013: 15 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostRadar1013, on 15 March 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

And when will that be done? That's a project that could be dragged on for years.

Multiplayer is a huge staple in Duke3D. Unfortunately it's not publicized as much as it should be on these forums. It's more fun playing IOD2 with four people online than it is playing It Lives. It's the funnest mode of gameplay in Duke. Whoever is skipping this completely is truly missing out.

Completely agreed. Added to that the fact that EDuke is more complicated than xDuke, it's not going to become any easier either.

Radar is right, hoping for eduke32 online ignorant. It's one of those things you hope for, but not wait for.

• Honored Donor

Um, I wouldn't have tried to set it up if I didn't think the same way. But I looked at all the guides and FAQs and by every indication it should have worked. Once you experience that frustration you might understand why I don't want to go through the hassle again.

View Postnl3paul3nl, on 15 March 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

Completely agreed. Added to that the fact that EDuke is more complicated than xDuke, it's not going to become any easier either.

Eduke is more complicated than xDuke? I don't see how having a few extra options will affect gameplay. And if/when multiplayer is finished and they make it so multiplayer can be accessed from the main in-game Duke 3D menu, what would be easier than that? Please explain your reasoning because I don't understand your comments.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Micky, do you by any chance have Yang and Xduke all still configed on your computer? I have a room open right now. If you come in I could help you if you're up for it.

Edit: closed the room

This post has been edited by Radar1013: 15 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostMicky C, on 15 March 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Um, I wouldn't have tried to set it up if I didn't think the same way. But I looked at all the guides and FAQs and by every indication it should have worked. Once you experience that frustration you might understand why I don't want to go through the hassle again.

Eduke is more complicated than xDuke? I don't see how having a few extra options will affect gameplay. And if/when multiplayer is finished and they make it so multiplayer can be accessed from the main in-game Duke 3D menu, what would be easier than that? Please explain your reasoning because I don't understand your comments.

What I mean is that xDuke is just as simple as it comes. It is one executable that does all it needs to do, while EDuke exists out of more than just one file. For modders, EDuke is obviously more editable, but getting multiplayer to work on EDuke seems more complicating than xDuke, since new ways have to be invented.

Access from the main menu might seem useful, but it really would only be like having YANG in EDuke and it would only take more time to start it all up. I just think that's less convenient, which is just my opinion, of course.

View PostLunick, on 14 March 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

I'm close enough in New Zealand if you wanna play. :) I'm normally around atm.

Im doing a edit of my map WGHOME2.map adding a second level to the house, (Whitch doesnt exist in reality) and some other stuff, Fof some DM fun!

This post has been edited by William Gee: 15 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I saw your room William. I was about to enter, but when I clicked it didn't exist anymore. :wub: I look forward to playing a great mapper. :)

View Postnl3paul3nl, on 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Access from the main menu might seem useful, but it really would only be like having YANG in EDuke and it would only take more time to start it all up. I just think that's less convenient, which is just my opinion, of course.

I too believe an in-game menu would be less convenient... unless they do something special.

This post has been edited by Radar1013: 15 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postnl3paul3nl, on 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

What I mean is that xDuke is just as simple as it comes. It is one executable that does all it needs to do, while EDuke exists out of more than just one file. For modders, EDuke is obviously more editable, but getting multiplayer to work on EDuke seems more complicating than xDuke, since new ways have to be invented.

EDuke32 is more complex than other ports, but that does not mean it is less simple to use. In fact, you have more flexibility with modern stuff like the console.

EDuke32 existing in more than one file does not indicate its complexity.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 March 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

EDuke32 is more complex than other ports, but that does not mean it is less simple to use. In fact, you have more flexibility with modern stuff like the console.

EDuke32 existing in more than one file does not indicate its complexity.

True, but the fact remains that multiplayer is not an option for EDuke right now. And it doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. I started this topic really only to get more people to play Duke online. And in order to do that, people need xDuke. But it seems that there is a large group that feels a form of loyalty and pride towards EDuke and therefore doesn't seem to be willing to even try xDuke and YANG out. Simply using arguments like: 'I prefer EDuke', doesn't seem to be very valid to me. I like EDuke a lot myself, but I also like multiplayer. I don't see the problem people have with this. I am not saying everybody is like this, but there are definitely people out there that would like to play Duke online but seem to think using xDuke is treason towards EDuke. And then they say: I don't understand how this works, I wish EDuke worked. And I don't understand that any one bit. Because xDuke is as simple 1, 2, 3. So my advice: use xDuke for your multiplayer (works great and supports more than people might think) and use EDuke for all your singleplayer and mods (works good as well).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postnl3paul3nl, on 16 March 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

Because xDuke is as simple 1, 2, 3. So my advice: use xDuke for your multiplayer (works great and supports more than people might think) and use EDuke for all your singleplayer and mods (works good as well).

That's what I do out of necessity.

View PostHendricks266, on 16 March 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

That's what I do out of necessity.

Aha, so you do play?

• Honored Donor

And I think you can get away with just having eduke32.exe and Duke3d.grp initially to run the game.

Why are people saying eduke32 doesnt work multiplayer? eduke32 works on YANG too.

View PostMicky C, on 16 March 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

And I think you can get away with just having eduke32.exe and Duke3d.grp initially to run the game.

Aha, indeed you can.

View PostWilliam Gee, on 17 March 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Why are people saying eduke32 doesnt work multiplayer? eduke32 works on YANG too.

Until you actually try to launch the game.

• Honored Donor

View PostWilliam Gee, on 17 March 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I'm not sure how much you know about it since you don't post on the forums very often, but a while back, TX took out the net code in order to start implementing brand new net code which is 100 times better... the problem is it's not finished and hasn't been worked on much for over a year. So it's too buggy to reliably use in its current state. Still, it's possible that people can use a version of eduke32 with the old netcode, but then you'd have to make sure that everyone has the same version, and it'd miss out on all of the newer eduke32 features and improvements since then, which is a heavy price.

Many people are now using icculus Duke3d, why? what is this and why use it?

Here is the map I was working on, its a heavily edited version of WGHOME.

Name WGHOME2012.map
Players : 3+

Didn't really get a chance to test it so let me know how it goes.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by William Gee: 18 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

• Honored Donor

I assume you wanted to attach the map to your post? Touché Posted Image

Interesting, bares a passing resemblance to the first level of WGRealms 1. It doesn't quite look finished though.. (I only ran around a bit in eduke32, I can't test it online)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options