Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Metropolitan Mayhem - a 15-map episode! - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Metropolitan Mayhem - a 15-map episode!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Hmmm... not sure if that's the case here. As you can see on the second screenshot, it also happens for simple railings. Those shouldn't be a problem. It's like any sprite you put on that floor gets screwed, regardless where. I will check with software rendering, but in any case, even in OpenGL such stuff shouldn't happen.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

my best guess is polymer lighting trying to make actor sprites cast shadows. still doesn't explain the fence though (i thought it was just a sprite created shadow & wasn't sure what the pic was supposed to be showing).

• The Truth is in here

Well, I know nothing about technical aspects of the port. It's a riddle for either the map artist or someone from the EDuke32 programming staff. I just don't see what this map does differently than all the others in the pack.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNightFright, on 13 July 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Well, I know nothing about technical aspects of the port. It's a riddle for either the map artist or someone from the EDuke32 programming staff. I just don't see what this map does differently than all the others in the pack.

I've seen this in plenty of other maps, though. I guess it's a polymer issue.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 13 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostNightFright, on 13 July 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I made that map you posted screenshots of and never encountered any of those weird rendering problems. I don't think anything is corrupted in the map itself, or if there is anything of the sort, it has to be related to an update of eduke32 that came about after the release of the mod, or maybe it is a polymer rendering glitch of some sort. Please note that polymer is not the recommended setting for playing this mod, at least I know I personally made and tested all the maps I have made for the episode in classic mode only, I can't say anything about how they play in other settings or combined with the use of external add-ons. It is the first time I see an issue of this type being reported in one of my levels, too, so it is interesting.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

• The Truth is in here

It's not such a bit deal. The map remains playable. It's just strange that it's the only one in the pack with this issue, and I can't figure out what's so special about it. xD

Anyway, while THIS map is playable, E5L14 is NOT. As I said, those two swinging doors won't open. Checking the sectors didn't reveal any issue. If you place the problematic doors somewhere else in the level, they work just fine, just not where they are right now. I have to say I encountered this specific obstacle in other mods occasionally, too, so this might be a more serious EDuke32 "feature".

You can still use NOCLIP twice or just choose another finale level in E5L10, but it would be great if all maps were working as intended.

(Side note: Can it be that Roch Island was used as a template/inspiration for E5L14? The streets seem oddly familiar to that level. Guess it's OK since the van Oostrum guys were involved in this as well, though.)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostNightFright, on 13 July 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

2) E5L14 seems to have problems with swinging doors not opening, or I didn't figure out how to open them, at least (sectors 81/82 and 347).

View PostNightFright, on 14 July 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Anyway, while THIS map is playable, E5L14 is NOT. As I said, those two swinging doors won't open. Checking the sectors didn't reveal any issue. If you place the problematic doors somewhere else in the level, they work just fine, just not where they are right now. I have to say I encountered this specific obstacle in other mods occasionally, too, so this might be a more serious EDuke32 "feature".

The objects behind the door prevent it from opening. The door construction itself is fine.

• The Truth is in here

But do these doors work when you use the DOS executable? Isn't there a workaround or something? I mean, you could avoid using swinging doors in general ofc, but I guess the authors wouldn't have put them there if they didn't open, right? xD

Or asked the other way round: How would you have to change the whole thing to get it working? Make the room behind it wider, remove edges/angles or something?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostNightFright, on 14 July 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

It's not such a bit deal. The map remains playable. It's just strange that it's the only one in the pack with this issue, and I can't figure out what's so special about it. xD

You can still use NOCLIP twice or just choose another finale level in E5L10, but it would be great if all maps were working as intended.

(Side note: Can it be that Roch Island was used as a template/inspiration for E5L14? The streets seem oddly familiar to that level. Guess it's OK since the van Oostrum guys were involved in this as well, though.)

I don't know about the doors (they have always worked fine for me) but E5L14 is a quick mash-up of different sections in several older maps of mine, including a section of Roch Island that was originally built by the Oostrums and I (a couple of buildings were made by Taivo Maaripuu as well, even though we forgot to credit him in the txt file, probably because he wasn't supposed to be directly involved in the episode to begin with, so it was easy to forget he had built some stuff in a section we had copy-pasted from an earlier map, sorry for the lack of attention, Taivo).

Only the first room and that pitch black corridor in E5L14 are brand new, the rest is from my maps Filler, Happy Hangover, Rural Nightmare then Roch Island, in that order, iirc. We just needed a quick replacement for a boss map that MetHy started but never finished in order to release the full episode after ages of it being in the works and noone really had spare time to make one from scratch at the time, so I came up with this controversial one in a minute, I don't necessarily like it but at least it is pretty trippy.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Lol, I never realized we forgot to credit Taivo :) (or even ask his permission to use some of his stuff, as little as it is); or even realized/remembered that some of the stuff there was his

I feel sorry

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It's his long awaited punishment for stealing parts from Pascal Rouaud's maps in his first Dogville

Anyway, his last name is Maripuu, so it still follows the M trend of this episode.

User is offline   ck3D 

bumping this thread as a consequence of the popularity of the recently released Duke Hard episode. players who enjoyed that one might enjoy this one as well seeing as it follows a rather similar style and most of the crew who worked on Metropolitan Mayhem also worked on Duke Hard !

http://www.moddb.com...opolitan-mayhem

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

Good idea, I liked Duke Hard and I've never seen this but from the screenshots I can tell I'm going to like it as well.

User is offline   MetHy 

Looking back to MM, there are things I wished I had done differently. For instance, I think the first map is pretty bad : it leaves freedom to the player to go in the back alley or the press shop first, but if he does that before turning back and getting the pipebomb and/or shotgun he'll easily run out of ammo unless he gets lucky drops from the pigcops... Also I think it can be a bit confusing to figure out you're supposed to jump on the edge to get into the apartment.

Thank god the episode picks up after the first map.

User is online   Lunick 

Metropolitan Mayhem Redux? :(

User is offline   MetHy 

Nah, it's long done and past. I'd rather learn from my mistakes for future maps, rather than coming back on stuff all the time. Besides, I've got plenty of projects going on anyway.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I definitely remember getting frustrated from being stuck at certain points in the episode (progression-wise; I thought ammo balance was pretty polished). Don't remember any issues with the first map.

View Postck3D, on 06 August 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

most of the crew who worked on Metropolitan Mayhem also worked on Duke Hard !

What you fail to mention is that most of the crew who worked on Duke Hard didn't work on Metropolitan Mayhem Posted Image

No need to associate the two; MM stands tall on its own.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMetHy, on 06 August 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

Looking back to MM, there are things I wished I had done differently. For instance, I think the first map is pretty bad : it leaves freedom to the player to go in the back alley or the press shop first, but if he does that before turning back and getting the pipebomb and/or shotgun he'll easily run out of ammo unless he gets lucky drops from the pigcops... Also I think it can be a bit confusing to figure out you're supposed to jump on the edge to get into the apartment.

That is quite odd considering that I remember the first map being one of my favorites in the episode due to its non-linear pathing.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah the layout is alright, but weapon placement could be better, and I think I should have built differently the way the player has to access the E1L1 style 'apartment corridor' in the building.

Edit : but anyway - there are plenty of things I'd do differently (and I think, better) now in everything I've mapped. But like I said, no need to think about that now, and I don't feel bad about it, I think it's part of the mapping process and it's probably the same for many people. The more you map, the greater your vision of the game becomes.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 06 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

I should give this episode another play. I'll be honest, I didn't enjoy it the first time and gave up halfway through but I was like that with everything at that point - even to the point that I couldn't watch an entire movie or listen to an entire CD. There's probably a lot of fun to be had that I wasn't in any frame of mind to enjoy when this was originally released.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 06 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   Mr.Torture 

Thanks for bumping this gem, i've played this episode last weekend and enjoyed it a lot.
Great ideas, lots of clichés (but it's something that I really don't mind), most maps are quite easy to play (I hate when you get stuck for something really hidden or confusing), but overall I got really satisfied.

And of course, classic style played in software mode brings real good nostalgic feelings...

This post has been edited by Mr.Torture: 19 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMr.Torture, on 19 August 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

Thanks for bumping this gem, i've played this episode last weekend and enjoyed it a lot.
Great ideas, lots of clichés (but it's something that I really don't mind), most maps are quite easy to play (I hate when you get stuck for something really hidden or confusing), but overall I got really satisfied.

And of course, classic style played in software mode brings real good nostalgic feelings...

Thanks for the feedback! Did you play the secret level and every boss map too ?

User is offline   Mr.Torture 

View PostMetHy, on 19 August 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback! Did you play the secret level and every boss map too ?

Played all boss levels (and I loved the train level, awesome idea)!

High Altitude Face Off - I loved this map so much, imho this is the best boss map out of 4, simple, creative and somewhat hard to win.
The Bitch - I liked it because it was simple and quick to reach the queen, and that's a fight we all know it's easy.
Stadium Despair - KILL KILL KILL! Also a great map, like it a lot. I've opened both gates plus the final boss together, damn it was a massacre.
Yelldown Hellride - Well, the beginning is not my cup of tea, in fact I really don't like these kind of nonsense stuff (no offense). But more far you go it gets more and more interesting, and scary too (those upside down octabrains are ghastly!). The two bosses option was a cool idea, that city going down during the fight was awesome! Lots of "well, i guess you didn't feel so lucky, punk!" It's a masterpiece, of course :(

Need to find out about the secret level, missed this one :(

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, the secret level is actually very secretish. There is no mention of it on the download pages, only mentioned in the middle of the readme. It can a bit hard to find too, imo; but I guess it only makes the reward even better.

Of course you feel like it you can always cheat to reach it I guess.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostMr.Torture, on 19 August 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

hey, i am glad you got to check it out, enjoyed it and even took the time to post some feedback for us to read. thanks !

please let me know your thoughts about the secret level once you find it. i made that one, as well as several other levels in the pack. i hope you will enjoy that one as well. thanks for playing !

User is offline   ck3D 

thought I would bump this after the recent release of World Tour. players looking for vintage action, design & overall nostalgia might find what they're looking for with this mod. we kind of made it with a 'fifth episode' feel in mind after all in a way.

http://www.moddb.com...opolitan-mayhem

User is offline   NNC 

Mikko, MRCK, MetHunter, Merlijn made Metropolitan Mayhem?

Boy, this group is so committed to one letter.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 01 November 2016 - 03:21 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Micky C agrees.

It is understandable why Metropolitan Mayhem was chosen as an integrated episode in previous Attrition releases, unlike many others and the original maps the entire episode structure prevents you to arrive in certain part of the maps before you should even with the double jump perk (only 5 points was required). I also suppose that the bug of the final level buttons is fixed by now.

User is offline   ck3D 

there was a bug with the final level buttons ?

sorry it's been a while since we last worked on this, but I don't recall such a thing ever being brought up. might be a little late for bug fixes, but I'm interested in any reports of the sort for future reference

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options