Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Metropolitan Mayhem - a 15-map episode! - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Metropolitan Mayhem - a 15-map episode!

User is offline   DN4ever 

Haven't finished yet, just completed the train level, but it's been pretty much perfect this far. The maps really do feel like the old ones, with the exception of including a much larger number of doors that cannot be opened, which got a bit irritating, albeit it does make the places more realistic. Which on the other hand Duke doesn't need to be, but I'll leave that there.

As a not so good of a player, I found the levels a bit stingy with ammo, especially in the Derailing level which had so many Boss Monsters and Assault Commanders (at least it seemed like it back when I played it) that I ran out of all ammo that could hurt those bastards and had to resort into luring them to kill each other. And I also noticed that if any ammo was to be given to the player, it was ammo for the Ripper Posted Image, and I prefer the Shotgun, Pipe bombs and the Devastator, to which on the contrary in the train level the player was given a good deal of ammo.

Finally, I found the lack of original music a bit sad. Would've been nice to have some good old .mid tunes to accompany you on this magnificent journey to the past. I'm sure the music making members of the community (including me) could, would and SHOULD give this astonishing whole episode a proper soundtrackPosted Image

Just do what I do. If you dont feel like hearing the excelent default song (Red Light District) every single time, just do this:

Hit "F5", then hold down the shift button and hit F5 again, and a different song plays. Each time you hit F5 while holding SHIFT, you get a different original song. Personally I play the space maps with the xplasma.mid song each time (Dark Side). It varies for the city maps, although I like the default song just fine for those.

View PostBlue Lightning, on 17 April 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

Just do what I do. If you dont feel like hearing the excelent default song (Red Light District) every single time, just do this:

Hit "F5", then hold down the shift button and hit F5 again, and a different song plays. Each time you hit F5 while holding SHIFT, you get a different original song. Personally I play the space maps with the xplasma.mid song each time (Dark Side). It varies for the city maps, although I like the default song just fine for those.

I know I can switch between the songs of the original Duke 3D soundtrack, but what I said was that I would have liked these maps all to have a music of their own, because when I play them, each does have its own song, but it's from another original map and I've heard those all already enough and would've liked something new.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I want to get back into this episode, but the last place I left it was in the flood zone styled level, and I remember getting stuck pretty early on and spending ages and ages trying to find a keycard. So what am I supposed to do in that level?

View PostMicky C, on 20 April 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

I want to get back into this episode, but the last place I left it was in the flood zone styled level, and I remember getting stuck pretty early on and spending ages and ages trying to find a keycard. So what am I supposed to do in that level?

Spoiler

• Honored Donor

View PostDN4ever, on 20 April 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostMicky C, on 20 April 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Honored Donor

Thanks, problem solved.

Spoiler

User is offline   MetHy 

The hole was made clearer with brighter shading indicating you've got to go up

What a damn great episode. I dont see something like this often. Although there are maps I couldnt keep because I couldnt play them, I was able to keep many of them. Vanilla style, like 1996, what a treat.

-Thanks to all who were involved with this project. How long did it take? Im sure several years to make them and get together to compile them into an episode. Love to see something similar to this release, one day.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 21 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

• Honored Donor

Well if you read the text file then you'd know each map was only made in one day. I.e it was finished within 24 hours of starting. Of course this doesn't include polishing time, polishing is necessary because nobody wants to play a rushed level. It just took a long time because it's hard to be motivated and creative enough to make multiple levels in a short time span, even short ones.

View PostMicky C, on 21 April 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Well if you read the text file then you'd know each map was only made in one day. I.e it was finished within 24 hours of starting. Of course this doesn't include polishing time, polishing is necessary because nobody wants to play a rushed level. It just took a long time because it's hard to be motivated and creative enough to make multiple levels in a short time span, even short ones.

Next time you guys do this, I'm buying the beer!

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 22 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I don't drink beer <_< Real men drink cider.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 23 April 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Well then I'll buy the cider! Anyway, I got a new comp and new Eduke, so now I can play all the maps.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 23 April 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Wussboy. Have a bottle of Everclear, then we can talk.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Everclear? I drink pure grain alcohol.

User is offline   Arti9m 

The last map, Yelldown Hellride. I've just finished it, and this map is really weird! Transculent monsters, Protector Drone with red eyes.. true hell.. I like it! :)

User is offline   bh1002 

This Episode is probably my favorite user made maps/episode.

I've actually posted an entire lets play to get more people interested in this episode (first level http://www . youtube.com/watch?v=1brXezzAwA0 (self plug-in ;))).

Fantastic job to the creators!

This post has been edited by bh1002: 25 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View Postbh1002, on 30 July 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

This Episode is probably my favorite user made maps/episode.

I've actually posted an entire lets play to get more interested in this episode (first level http://www . youtube.com/watch?v=1brXezzAwA0 (self plug-in ;))).

Fantastic job to the creators!

i just spent the last hour or so skimming through those videos of yours. nice playthroughs ! you seem to be very familiar with the maps, i am glad you enjoyed them so much. in this day and age, as the duke nukem 3D community is getting thinner and thinner, feedback from the players is more important than ever to the mappers, and youtube videos are a good way of showing appreciation. it is rewarding to see other people playing your maps, sometimes not the way you play them yourself at all. thank you for devoting some of your time to showcasing those levels, and once again, i am glad you liked them.

User is offline   MetHy 

Nice videos, my only complain is that the volume of the music is far too low for my taste (i always put music volume high when playing video games, it pumps me up; but that's just me. I complained about the same thing for the other person who made videos of AMC TC).

I admit that so far in a selfish way I've only watched videos of the maps I've participated in making (but i'll watch them all eventually).
Funny how Sex City is the one with the most views (only one with over 300 views) just because there is the word "sex" in the title ;)

Also you showed me something really stupid in Submerged Zone that we never thought of : if you break the firehydrant underwater you can drink water from it.
Also I thought I had fixed some of the misaligned textures and small glitches in the map (like being able to shoot through some of the glass windows)....

Are the recordings your first playthroughs?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Cool videos, thanks!

View PostMetHy, on 09 August 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Definitely not, at least not the ones where he plays my maps.

User is offline   bh1002 

View PostMetHy, on 09 August 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Nice videos, my only complain is that the volume of the music is far too low for my taste (i always put music volume high when playing video games, it pumps me up; but that's just me. I complained about the same thing for the other person who made videos of AMC TC).

I admit that so far in a selfish way I've only watched videos of the maps I've participated in making (but i'll watch them all eventually).
Funny how Sex City is the one with the most views (only one with over 300 views) just because there is the word "sex" in the title ;)

Also you showed me something really stupid in Submerged Zone that we never thought of : if you break the firehydrant underwater you can drink water from it.
Also I thought I had fixed some of the misaligned textures and small glitches in the map (like being able to shoot through some of the glass windows)....

I played through this episode before and made sure to replay each level before recording. And I can agree with how you feel with the volume. Also, I knew Sex City was going to be the most viewed, I just knew it. (people these days ;)) (And if you're wondering why this post is so different from before, that's because I felt it was so badly written I came back to re-write it.)

This post has been edited by bh1002: 29 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Mikko added the episode on moddb :
http://www.moddb.com...opolitan-mayhem

10 downloads already!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Changed the header to be a bit more "metropolitan".

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 19 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

User is offline   nukemania 

Where do I find the yellow and red key in High Altitude Face Off?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

If you took an elevator up to that roof, jump down.

User is offline   MetHy 

This episode got downloaded 280 times here and 200 times on moddb :P

Episodes (and mods/TCs in general) seem to be more successful than single player maps!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

and 31 more downloads at that "flash-in-the-pan" site that popped up within the last year

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

A shameless bump but I uploaded a video for the mod: http://www.moddb.com...n-mayhem/videos

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

How the fuck did I miss this? I just completed it entirely!

It was a blast! I died an awful lot of times because of the battlelords but I didn't cheat, not once.

Congratulations! I'm definitely not good at making reviews so I'll just say that I loved it, even though I'm a very strict "detailed maps" person. Thanks Mikko for bumping this thread :)

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options