Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Total Meltdown - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Total Meltdown

User is offline   nukemania 

Apparently, TMD's fourth episode uses some resources from Atomic Edition's The Birth. I haven't really seen anything similar, so is this true?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Yes, it is true.

Does anyone have a downloadable version of that episode? I have the ROM of Total Meltdown, but all slopes are halls of mirrors :lol:

User is offline   Rebecca 

Slippy_Pig, there are cheap copies of the PS1 game on Amazon because i think all the ROMS for total meltdown are glitched and broken. I have Total Meltdown on PSX and the fourth exclusive episode is plain awesome, minus the first extremely tedious level.

I think it would be great if somebody could construct an entire remake of the episode , i wonder if this has already been done?

User is offline   Fox 

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 16 February 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Does anyone have a downloadable version of that episode? I have the ROM of Total Meltdown, but all slopes are halls of mirrors :lol:

That's a problem with the emulator, not the ROM.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There are no remakes of the episode, nor has anyone figured out how to extract the episode. A guy who claimed to be the original mapper said that it all existed on the PC before it was ported over to the PSX, and he has an original copy of it somewhere, he said he'd look for it, then he kinda disappeared. D'oh.

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 16 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostWolfe, on 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

There are no remakes of the episode, nor has anyone figured out how to extract the episode. A guy who claimed to be the original mapper said that it all existed on the PC before it was ported over to the PSX, and he has an original copy of it somewhere, he said he'd look for it, then he kinda disappeared. D'oh.

is there a reason why nobody has tried remaking the episode ?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's a whole wealth of work, beyond the fact that replicating levels is difficult (and pointless if you're not going to do a thorough job,) there is a whole multitude of new textures and enemies you'd have to remake as well. At the end of the day the amount of work it'd take is hardly worth it. Someone figuring out how to truly convert it back to the PC is pretty much our only hope, I doubt the original developers will find a copy, and if they did, probably wouldn't give a shit to release it. Sad but true.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I never even made it through the last episode of Total Meltdown. Not even the first level. I could now, but the last time I played I tried was probably when I was 11 or so. I'm pretty sure the textures and maps can be ripped, though, if someone who knows how to do it steps up.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 16 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostRebecca, on 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

You're welcome to try. Why not learn to map and do the remake yourself? Posted Image

Oh, wait..

It's a whole wealth of work

replicating levels is difficult

pointless if you're not going to do a thorough job

a whole multitude of new textures and enemies you'd have to remake
..Imagine trying to remake a painting, say the Mona Lisa, from scratch, by hand, and trying to make it look exactly the same. Depending on what you want to do, making a map, let alone an entire episode can be a lot of work. When you're forced to have to constantly check another game for every single detail that pretty much doubles the work, and makes it oh so much more tedious. ..There's a remake in the works for the nintendo 64 levels, and they're trying to remake the levels to be exactly the same (and I really do mean exactly the same), with all their imperfections and stretched textures, and it's taking years and years, it's going about as fast as a snail's crawl on a slow day.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostRebecca, on 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

The first one is that exclusive textures have not been properly ripped yet.

User is offline   Lunick 

Nfelli actually has a few textures ripped, but he hardly visits the boaords anymore. I could see if he would like to post his views/files here?

View PostMicky C, on 16 February 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

You're welcome to try. Why not learn to map and do the remake yourself? Posted Image

Oh, wait..

..Imagine trying to remake a painting, say the Mona Lisa, from scratch, by hand, and trying to make it look exactly the same. Depending on what you want to do, making a map, let alone an entire episode can be a lot of work. When you're forced to have to constantly check another game for every single detail that pretty much doubles the work, and makes it oh so much more tedious. ..There's a remake in the works for the nintendo 64 levels, and they're trying to remake the levels to be exactly[size="2"] the same (and I really do mean exactly the same), with all their imperfections and stretched textures, and it's taking years and years, it's going about as fast as a snail's crawl on a slow day.

I believe Wolfe had already answered the question,

This post has been edited by Rebecca: 17 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostLunick, on 16 February 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Nfelli actually has a few textures ripped, but he hardly visits the boaords anymore. I could see if he would like to post his views/files here?

He should totally post that stuff in the Community Stockpile thread, as well as provide a little walkthrough about how to rip stuff.

I've been wondering, were the TM levels from the original episodes ported straight from the PC, or rebuilt from the ground up?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

From what the supposed original mapper said, it all existed on the PC at one point, and then it was ported over to the PSX. The original maps all look like straight conversions to me. The only thing I know of being different is that there is an exit in Faces of Death.

it makes sense if they did create the maps on pc first, since they already ported the other 3 episodes, from the PC, wouldn't it just be simpler to do that for the extra episode too? maybe i'm wrong though.

shame that the episode never has been released by the original creators really, it was a very fun and interesting one. my fav level was the haunted hotel. love the song for it too

This post has been edited by Rebecca: 17 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   Fox 

The maps from both Total Meltdown and Duke Nukem 64 have been created in Build. The creator of Total Meltdown maps once posted on 3DRealms forums that he was trying to find the Harddrive that contained such maps.

I once asked William Beacham (aka Bill Beacham) about the Duke Nukem 64 maps, and he said it wasn't usual to keep something like that at the time. He also told me they used a modified Build editor to create the levels for Time to Kill and Zero Hour.

well although it would be cool to see these maps i think that in truth it is more likely that the files have probably been lost for good now. it has been so long and what are the chances the old developers really have these files still? maybe not optimistic thinking but realistic thinking, i suppose.

although for anyone with a PS1, i do recommend picking up a cheap copy of total meltdown from amazon or ebay for the ultimate experience of the original total meltdown and it's exclusive episode. It is well worth the price you can find the game for. i find the ps1 controll doesn't work great but once you get the hang of it you're pretty much good to go

This post has been edited by Rebecca: 17 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostLunick, on 16 February 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

He told me he had all textures ripped and he said the maps can be ripped, but they're in a different format.

User is offline   Lunick 

Well Nfelli says that the textures have been lost but he has the Enemy sprites that Wolf had ripped. :/

User is offline   Fox 

By "ripped" you mean the *.pmp files in the CD directory?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostFox, on 17 February 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

I once asked William Beacham (aka Bill Beacham) about the Duke Nukem 64 maps, and he said it wasn't usual to keep something like that at the time. He also told me they used a modified Build editor to create the levels for Time to Kill and Zero Hour.

VERY interesting. I've always thought this. Even if it doesn't run off of the Build engine, whatever engine they built has a lot of the same funky quirks.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 17 February 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

He told me he had all textures ripped and he said the maps can be ripped, but they're in a different format.

View PostLunick, on 17 February 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Well Nfelli says that the textures have been lost but he has the Enemy sprites that Wolf had ripped. :/

Can anyone get in touch with him? Even if he doesn't have time to rip the stuff himself, it'd be great if he could provide the hookup.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'll get him to post here, sick of being the middleman aha!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 16 February 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

It's a whole wealth of work, beyond the fact that replicating levels is difficult (and pointless if you're not going to do a thorough job,) there is a whole multitude of new textures and enemies you'd have to remake as well. At the end of the day the amount of work it'd take is hardly worth it. Someone figuring out how to truly convert it back to the PC is pretty much our only hope, I doubt the original developers will find a copy, and if they did, probably wouldn't give a shit to release it. Sad but true.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 17 February 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

He should totally post that stuff in the Community Stockpile thread, as well as provide a little walkthrough about how to rip stuff.

Radar1013, care to explain the downvotes on these posts, all of which really deserve neither an upvote nor a downvote in the first place? Instead of acting in cowardice, my door is always open and you can take it up with me personally, rather than apparently acting out against me in incredibly petty ways. I'm really interested to hear your response here.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 01 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I've never played this but it seems unplayable on emulators. I've tried pSX as well as ePSXe with different video plugins. Has anybody ever gotten it to work via emulation?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I think it is one of them games that will never work flawlessly in an emulator.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've used an emulator on an actual disc before. I think it worked okay, but I didn't play with it long. It takes a lot of processing power. (Well, more than I got anyway.)

User is online   Sangman 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 01 March 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Radar1013, care to explain the downvotes on these posts, all of which really deserve neither an upvote nor a downvote in the first place? Instead of acting in cowardice, my door is always open and you can take it up with me personally, rather than apparently acting out against me in incredibly petty ways. I'm really interested to hear your response here.

Are you the same person who often claims to not care about votes? Just let it go, man...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options