Duke4.net Forums: Witchaven II addon - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Witchaven II addon  "New Witchaven II addon"

User is offline   Caleb280 

Hi all.
I think that Witchaven II deserves a good addon just like for example Duke DC, Redneck Rampage: Suckin Grits on Route 66, Blood Cryptic Passage. So I'm planning to do 15 new maps witch some new graphics. But I'm looking for some help. Right now I'm planning level1 and 2. It'll take some time. Of course we're talking about hq maps like official addons for other build engine games. Anyone wanna join me? Come guys. Like I said this game deserves some nice addon. Besides it'll be interesting to see some new maps for wh2 since there are no new maps as far as I know.
Btw. anyone knows anything about Wh2 command line parameters? Is there a way to open a certain map file in wh2 just like in duke3d? Cause the only way I know about playing new maps is to overrite the existing ones. Or maybe there is another way?

User is offline   Mark 

Out of curiosity I downloaded Witchaven2 to check it out. I added Eduke and Mapster to the folder. I can get Mapster to run and edit the maps. But the game locks up for me in the menu right after the Duke logo animation. I'm suggesting that you figure out that problem first and it will better your chances of getting someone to join in.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I played around with this a while back. I made a custom grp file using the art from witchaven II and everything else from duke.grp It ran but many effects and hud sprites don't match up. With some con code skills and 8bit art editing experience someone could make this work pretty easily.

Also the source code is out there, so technically speaking somebody with the proper understanding of these things could merge Eduke with it and make a port.

ADDED: Dug up my old post.

View PostDrek, on 16 September 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

I have been thinking of trying to make a Eduke32 version of Witchhaven 2. I have the source code, and have made a GRP with all the art tiles and levels. I can even play a little, no actors work yet, or anything at all really, but I can run around and check out the maps.
Attachment WH2.pngAttachment wh1.png

This post has been edited by Drek: 12 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostDrek, on 12 February 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

I played around with this a while back. I made a custom grp file using the art from witchaven II and everything else from duke.grp It ran but many effects and hud sprites don't match up. With some con code skills and 8bit art editing experience someone could make this work pretty easily.

Also the source code is out there, so technically speaking somebody with the proper understanding of these things could merge Eduke with it and make a port.

ADDED: Dug up my old post.

This sound interesting. But for now I'm thinking about making maps using good old dos Build which comes from WHAVEN2 cd. :D

User is offline   Mark 

There are a few "old school" mappers out here that use Build, but most have gone over to Mapster. Just sayin' :D

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMarked, on 12 February 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

Out of curiosity I downloaded Witchaven2 to check it out. I added Eduke and Mapster to the folder. I can get Mapster to run and edit the maps. But the game locks up for me in the menu right after the Duke logo animation. I'm suggesting that you figure out that problem first and it will better your chances of getting someone to join in.

You can't run WH2 with EDuke32. EDuke32 currently only runs the Duke and EDuke game code, meaning only Duke, NAM, Napalm, WWII GI, and any mods thereof.

View PostMarked, on 12 February 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

There are a few "old school" mappers out here that use Build, but most have gone over to Mapster. Just sayin' :D

Is mapster compatible with Witchaven II ?

User is offline   Mark 

I loaded up WH maps in Mapster and can edit them. But I'm guessing that many of the effects in the maps do not have an Eduke equivalent. So it will work, with limitations. All the missing effects would still need to be added in through WH's own map editor.

Added: Does WH even have an included editor? I don't see one in my folder.

This post has been edited by Marked: 12 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

• Weaponized Autism

All the BUILD games except Blood are compatible with Mapster32 to some degree.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Someone made an addon for WHII, I think you have to replace the levels. Maybe if you contact him he can help you.

http://witchaven2.blogspot.com/

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

View PostMarked, on 12 February 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Added: Does WH even have an included editor? I don't see one in my folder.

WHII has an included BUILD Editor, not WH.

User is offline   Mark 

Sorry. I posted WH but meant WH2. It seems the site I downloaded from, I think Abandonware, must have trimmed out the non essentials for a smaller download.

Just to be sure I didn't just pirate something, the game is freeware these days correct?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Well, Capstone has been gone for a long time so i think it qualifies.

• Weaponized Autism

Technically it's still under IntraCorp/Capstone even though they don't exist, so no to the freeware. Abandonware is a correct classification but as of now it holds no legal weight.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I think all of the game data and binaries are in the archive with the source code that the original programmer posted a few years ago...

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

....that can be found on Les B. website. http://www.lesbird.com/capstone/

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCorvin, on 14 February 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

....that can be found on Les B. website. http://www.lesbird.com/capstone/

I'm taken aback by the fact that he updated that page not only back in September but in the last 24 hours. (Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:55:06 AM according to Firefox's page info.)

Also, take a look at this discussion about this source: http://www.jonof.id....hp?topic=1091.0

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 14 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

First map finished:) over 964 sectors - 1024 max:)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   RoyBatty 

Hrm interesting! I haven't played WH2 in ages, wonder if anyone will port the source that was released.

View PostRoyBatty, on 22 February 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hrm interesting! I haven't played WH2 in ages, wonder if anyone will port the source that was released.

I second this.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Sorry for a bump, but in case nobody here knows..

Witchaven 1 and 2 source codes were released a long time ago, but the links were taken down, I have them on my hard drive (along with TekWar and Corridor 8) if anyone is interested in using them in order to port?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

They haven't been taken down, they're still at http://www.lesbird.com/capstone/.

• Honored Donor

Hmm, thanks for showing me this :)

I had heard they were taken down. Has anyone even worked on them though?

• Weaponized Autism

JonoF said that he privately worked on them in order to compile them and take screenshots for his website, but he has not released anything and I do not think he plans to for legal reasons.

• Honored Donor

What is the "legal reason" ? The publisher and creators are gone, and someone from the company released them after the fact. I don't see how that's a legal issue. Not saying many people here would even like to see a port of Witchaven, but I honestly think that if the stupid bugs were fixed, the game would be more playable.

This post has been edited by natsirT95: 22 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Just because the original companies no longer exist does not mean that they no longer hold the copyright.

• Honored Donor

Still, if they released the source code, and people who downloaded it have it on their hard drives, what is going to stop them from doing what they want with it?

User is offline   Player Lin 

EDIT : Deleted for whatever reasons. I guess I misunderstand about somethings.

:\

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

User is offline   LAW 

I have been thinking about a pack for WH too. Strange game it was. Good art, good sound & music, BAD maps... The source code is available for years, no port yet. That give us a hint about the game quality and overall reception.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I thought the source wasn't legally released? In which case it would technically be illegal to port it, which is one of the reasons for no port.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options