Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: The Man of Valor. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: The Man of Valor.  "7 part mission."

User is offline   Gambini 

Usually it takes just a little bit more of experience/expertise in a matter to feel free to bury down other people´s work. What i´m trying to prove is that you don´t have to take the word of some random people on a forum as sacred. If my professor rips my drawing off because he doesn´t like it then i can rip his head off because i don´t like his expression. Learning is like a staircase in which you have to go step by step, nobody´s has the right to demotivate you, unless they are providing constructive criticism.

Okay, I know I've been rude, but the only reason is because it's my first map... it gets chewed up and spit out like trash. I just don't understand how so many people can be so rude without knowing why I'm so non-understanding for critisism. I'm 16, and ever since I was 11 I've been bullied, I learned to stand up for myself, and still got tossed around. I like Miley Cyrus, I get teased for it, I learn to take critisism, until one person says something and then I want to tear there head off. And now, I'm proud I finally did something, and people tell me it's trash. Next time take this into account before you go around saying "His atitude makes me sick, some people have to much ego and never admit any faults made by yourself." or "Anyways, I think we can agree this guy can't take anything, except maybe a stick up his ass."

~Duncan

Then you should learn to distinguish between who´s trying to help you and who´s just mocking you. People here usually puts months if not years in their work, and so, most times it is rewarded by other people appreciating what they did. Do not come here to tell us this is the best you can do though. because you´ll keep receiving the kind of feedback that makes you want to "tear their head off".

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 03 February 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Okay, I know I've been rude, but the only reason is because it's my first map... it gets chewed up and spit out like trash. I just don't understand how so many people can be so rude without knowing why I'm so non-understanding for critisism. I'm 16, and ever since I was 11 I've been bullied, I learned to stand up for myself, and still got tossed around. I like Miley Cyrus, I get teased for it, I learn to take critisism, until one person says something and then I want to tear there head off. And now, I'm proud I finally did something, and people tell me it's trash. Next time take this into account before you go around saying "His atitude makes me sick, some people have to much ego and never admit any faults made by yourself." or "Anyways, I think we can agree this guy can't take anything, except maybe a stick up his ass."

~Duncan

There we go. :D I understand that some people have been a little to hostile without providing any valid criticism. I never got a chance to check out your work, so i'm sorry to say I can't provide any concrete help. I'm usually the type of person that only checks out truely great work, even then I find myself not being too involved with custom content that doesn't fit in my realm of 'interesting'. That's just me. :D Anyways, stand up, stay strong, and continue doing your best to improve. :D

PS: You got to admit, your replies did make you seem like you had a stick up your ass. You just need to learn that the hostility was warranted based on some of your replies.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 04 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 February 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

There we go. :D I understand that some people have been a little to hostile without providing any valid criticism. I never got a chance to check out your work, so i'm sorry to say I can't provide any concrete help. I'm usually the type of person that only checks out truely great work, even then I find myself not being too involved with custom content that doesn't fit in my realm of 'interesting'. That's just me. :D Anyways, stand up, stay strong, and continue doing your best to improve. :D

PS: You got to admit, your replies did make you seem like you had a stick up your ass. You just need to learn that the hostility was warranted based on some of your replies.

Yeah, I've learned recently I have a short temper.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostNever Forgotten, on 03 February 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Okay, I know I've been rude, but the only reason is because it's my first map... it gets chewed up and spit out like trash.

I agree.

It's funny that the guys here complaint that there aren't many people in the Duke community... and at the same time threat new users like that.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostFox, on 04 February 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

I agree.

It's funny that the guys here complaint that there aren't many people in the Duke community... and at the same time threat new users like that.

I usually post with the golden rule, "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing", and still will not comment to the maps in question.
However, I disagree with your sentiment. There is bad treatment and there is fair treatment. We can only judge on what is written and offered since we can not know who or what is behind those posts. I read the posts again, it's no better nor worse than other communities I know. If the price to gain more folks is pampering, it's too high. This reminds me ...

@ Never Forgotton - Looks like you've got a bloody nose; Welcome to the forum. Posted Image

User is offline   Mia Max 

I agree.

Dito.

When I think about my first map, people would have said that I should stop mapping immediately if I would have posted screenshots.
Well, good luck for me that I didn't have an internet connection at this time.
But I also was proud at my first maps and probably would have postet screenshots, because I wanted to know what other people think.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMia Max, on 04 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

But I also was proud at my first maps and probably would have postet screenshots, because I wanted to know what other people think.

But is that not the risk to go out and ask the public for their opinion?

View PostHank, on 04 February 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

But is that not the risk to go out and ask the public for their opinion?

Traditionally, you should train your eye before asking for opinions. You'll find that researching from other games and the internet is the best source of help because for all you know, the whole level design could be all wrong, and at times the people you ask will only talk about the minute details that seem wrong. Before you can fix the details you must fix the big picture and that usually only happens when you learn from your mistakes or just sit back, play a game, and analyse it. Oh and doing thumbnails of the layout also helps. lol :D

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Well thats because we got so many turds in the community. :D

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I thought I would do some digging and found my first maps "to my knowledge" that made it online.
They do indeed look rather bad in places...

Posted Image

View PostCody, on 04 February 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

I thought I would do some digging and found my first maps "to my knowledge" that made it online.
They do indeed look rather bad in places...

Posted Image

Dude, they look like shit. Like you only spent two hours on them.....

I hope you guys know this is a joke. :D

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The biggest noob move when posting screenshots is to have the player firing a weapon and have lots of enemies on the screen and explosions and hi-res skyboxes and other shit like that to hide the fact that the map is extremely simple and shitty. :D

That wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but I was reminded of it when I saw those old screenshots from when Commander was first learning to map.

That´s called illusion. And I don´t think it is that bad. If i show you a very dark corridor plenty of monsters you may think then that the corridor is shitty in terms of detail. But in fact, it has the right amount of detail, because you´ll never be able to see more.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I found some of the first pictures and comments I got from my first map. These are WIP screenshots.
Posted ImagePosted Image

And these are some of the comments, all just under two years ago:
Me:

I know I'm at least going to put columns in which can be blown up with explosives. Though I find my personal mapping style is to design a place maybe 70-80% then move onto the next area, and come back and add tonnes of detail later.

Gambini:

But seems like you didn´t do the %10 yet.

Well, it´s your map and your choice just take our comments the good way.

Of course there were other comments telling me to forget about the lights and to add other details and things. At the time I just couldn't understand why everyone was telling me it wasn't detailed when I thought it looked fantastic. Well, here's the link: http://www.amcwebfor...topic=5847.1980

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Is that meant to be good or bad?

Your own link shows i wasn´t being such a dick at the end, look at the former comment i did:

Forget the polymer lights for some minutes and work on the architecture in these places. Both are flat and dull and have the same texture spreaded all over the walls and roof. Play with different heights, make pillars, put lightsources, crates, broken parts, ventilation shafts, pipes dripping or whatever that would dress up that nude place.

And welcome

That was a sort of advice.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 04 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Sorry for the Off-topic but:

Gambini, on 14 February 2010 - 07:21 PM, said:

This mexican guy Mike Norvak just put a video on Dukespaña showing his upcoming map Sunstroke.

According to what he said the map won´t require Dukeplus and will be done quite soon.

What can be seen behind the terrible lag is awesome, don´t lose it guys.

:D

@ Gambini: Yeah in fact that was really good advice for Micky.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 04 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Lol i was just reading the very same post. hehe :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Haha, yeah I was wondering if I should mention that post Norvak.

The point was when I made it, I thought it was already very detailed and couldn't understand why he wanted me to add more. At least in the final version it was somewhat more detailed, and some areas like the park had an ok level of detail to them.

Oooooh man... Just played through this out of curiosity... wow... I'm so sorry for anyone who played those horrid maps. I... I don't think I can really put it in words how sorry I am... Just know that anything I put out in the future will be nothing like these maps... Wow... ;) :D

User is offline   CruX 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 13 November 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

Oooooh man... Just played through this out of curiosity... wow... I'm so sorry for anyone who played those horrid maps. I... I don't think I can really put it in words how sorry I am... Just know that anything I put out in the future will be nothing like these maps... Wow... ;) :D

No one got to be good at anything without sucking at it first. What surprises me is now how well you take to criticism. I know five years is enough to time to flip perspective, but was there anything in particular that got your attitude to change?

View PostCruX, on 14 November 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

No one got to be good at anything without sucking at it first. What surprises me is now how well you take to criticism. I know five years is enough to time to flip perspective, but was there anything in particular that got your attitude to change?

Honestly, and this is just me being 100% honest, it was simply growing up. I'm 21 now, 22 on Thanksgiving, so five years ago I was only about 16, with the mental capacity of maybe 11. I was bullied for years, and I got pulled out of school because of it, I never really built up the ability to take criticism or advice without blowing up. But, still being 100% honest, posting these maps was the best thing I could've done. I thank everyone on here for not taking it easy on me, you've made me into a stronger person when it comes to criticism. But I took a couple of years without doing much, and just grew up, and I came back with a new attitude. I'm currently working on a map that I'm hopefully going to release on Christmas Eve, and I'm working on my own Duke Nukem game called Atomic Crisis, which is still far from release. I'm really excited to see what people are going to think of my new map, I've spent several years working on it.

User is offline   BestViking 

EDIT: Oh boy! I didn't look at the dates on the posts! Typed out a huge wall about etiquette regarding critique of creative work etcetra...

This is why you don't necro threads.

This post has been edited by BestViking: 14 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostBestViking, on 14 November 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

EDIT: Oh boy! I didn't look at the dates on the posts! Typed out a huge wall about etiquette regarding critique of creative work etcetra...

This is why you don't necro threads.

Sorry, I thought it'd be better to just comment on this one, instead of creating a whole new thread about it. :3

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options