Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: The Man of Valor. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: The Man of Valor.  "7 part mission."

Is that a horror map mia max? I can't really see anything.

User is offline   Mia Max 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 30 January 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

Is that a horror map mia max? I can't really see anything.

The outdoor area is very dark, yes.
The backround is black because it is pretty far away, but when you get closer, you can see it.
I just wanted to show how big this map is.

Okay, you can control how far you are able to look before it gets dark. With con you can set it to even further.

User is offline   Mia Max 

You can also change ambient light level during playing the level in renderer setup.
So everyone can deside by himself how dark the level should be.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0012.jpg

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 30 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Yea, that's what i was talking about. But you can look even further before it gets dark with con.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postrasmus thorup, on 30 January 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Yea, that's what i was talking about. But you can look even further before it gets dark with con.

You are talking about the visibility, this can also be changed in mapster so you don't need the cons.

And how do i do that with eduke?
setuserdef[THISACTOR].const_visibility 0

With this you can see as far as you like. Ambient light can't do that. How?

Highlight the sectors that you want to see be able to far and/or lower in 2D mode.
In 3D mode press ; + v

Using this method over yours would mean a map could contain dark areas as well as high viewing distance ones.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostSupertanker, on 29 January 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

For the record, I got curious as to what an exact half hour of mapping is like.

Here is what a near exact half-hour of Supertanker-style mapping is like. It's harder than I thought. Enjoy. (Reminds me a lot of my early maps.)

http://supertanker.duke4.net/L1_hi.map

Ha ha it took me 48 seconds to finish it. Nice one!

EDIT:

View PostMia Max, on 30 January 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

Here are some new pics of my upcomming map.
It's gonna be huuuge :D

Sweet! This reminds me an unfinished coast I was making for dukeplus some time ago. Maybe you can use it insome part of your map?

Attached Image: capt0000.jpg
Attached Image: capt0001.jpg
(That thing lying in the sand is supossed to be a dead whale)

If you are interested send me a PM :D

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

Oh fuck! I also have a dead whale in some unfinished coast map... You have spoiled my joke :D

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostNorvak, on 30 January 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Ha ha it took me 48 seconds to finish it. Nice one!

Supertanker said:

For the record, I got curious as to what an exact half hour of mapping is like.
Here is what a near exact half-hour of Supertanker-style mapping is like

Yea... time is relative to your understanding and abilities in Mapster. 30 minutes mapping for one person is not exactly an accurate comparison to what someone else can do. It is not about how fast you can make something. It is about how well you can make it. Obviously in these quotes above these are examples from experienced mappers who have been at mapster a while and know all the ins and the outs. This type of speed mapping doesn't happen right out of the gate and I'm sure if you ask these guys how long they have been mapping they will say more than a couple of years. Plus... most of the time when people make something look good they are merely experts at using the copy/paste methods for duplicating the same crap over and repeating it. My suggestion for making a new map would be start small. Focus on design and detail and go from there. Placing a sprite on a wall isn't exactly detail either it has to fit and look good and have a purpose. Anyone can place a sprite on a wall in mapster with next to no effort its about how you use it and showcase it. If you start a project that is too big it will get discouraging and frustrating. Take it one step at a time. I'm sure when you talk to any map designer no one really plans on making a super large map it just kinda evolves depending on their imagination and what they want to include. You can make a two room map fun if it is done right. If you enjoy larger maps then try this... Design the map with the intentions of expanding to it. Make the map initially small then tie in more areas later.

Good luck, I'm curious to see what you come out with next.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostGambini, on 30 January 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Oh fuck! I also have a dead whale in some unfinished coast map... You have spoiled my joke :D

No, you have spoiled your own joke right now :D

BTW What a coincidence, isn't?

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostCody, on 30 January 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Highlight the sectors that you want to see be able to far and/or lower in 2D mode.
In 3D mode press ; + v

Using this method over yours would mean a map could contain dark areas as well as high viewing distance ones.

Sorry but is it "sector visibility" i change with that? If it is. Then, is 0 the lowest number? Numbers higher than that makes the sector darker right? If all this is right then i have to say that a sector visiblity at 0 isn't 100% visible.

This is with sector visibility 0.
Posted Image
This is with sector visibility 0 and setuserdef[THISACTOR].const_visibility 0
Posted Image

So please tell me if you are talking about something other than sector visibility.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 30 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 30 January 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Sorry but is it "sector visibility" i change with that? If it is. Then, is 0 the lowest number? Numbers higher than that makes the sector darker right? If all this is right then i have to say that a sector visiblity at 0 isn't 100% visible.

This is with sector visibility 0.
This is with sector visibility 0 and setuserdef[THISACTOR].const_visibility 0

So please tell me if you are talking about something other than sector visibility.

butting in. The bottom image visibility can be accomplished with setting the visibility to 240, in mapster as per Cody wrote ( '+V and type in 240, all in 3D mode). The setting becomes darker from 0 - 239. At 240 you have maximum visibility. Try it. Posted Image

Yay that worked, thanks.

Here's a pic from my new map... yes I'm done, after I test play...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNever Forgotten, on 30 January 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Here's a pic from my new map... yes I'm done, after I test play...

I take it you intended to attach a picture to your post?

User is offline   Arwu 

Holding left alt and mouse wheel up/down also change visibility of the current sector or highlighted sectors if someone not know :D

This post has been edited by Arwu: 30 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostHank, on 30 January 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

butting in. The bottom image visibility can be accomplished with setting the visibility to 240, in mapster as per Cody wrote ( '+V and type in 240, all in 3D mode). The setting becomes darker from 0 - 239. At 240 you have maximum visibility. Try it. Posted Image

Exactly what I was trying to say originally, thanks. :D

View PostMicky C, on 30 January 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I take it you intended to attach a picture to your post?

Yeah, it didn't work.

User is offline   Arwu 

Oooh too bad :D
it is simple. Maybe You want to attach image from disk ? or link to image is not right ?

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 28 January 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Well I could do all that in about two minutes.

For comparison's sake, it usually takes months to finish just one map.

I don't mean to put you down or anything, we've all been there, but that's exactly why you shouldn't publish your first work.

you are being very rude.. and i dont care how good you are.. .. i think the guy was decent to answer your post.

i thank him for making maps and sharing with us for free he used so much time on it...

i will publish my 1 map anywhere and anyhow i want... do you think i really care if you are a genius? .. mokko...

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I don't see how I was being rude at all. Everything I said was correct and I even acknowledged having been there myself.

View Postminidueknukem, on 03 February 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

i thank him for making maps and sharing with us for free he used so much time on it...

But that's just the thing: he didn't.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

you are being very rude.. and i dont care how good you are.. .. i think the guy was decent to answer your post.

The only one being rude according to our standards was the topic starter. (Hint: he wasn't downvoted because of his map's quality...)

i will publish my 1 map anywhere and anyhow i want...

Why not. But if you go public you'll have to deal with the public's opinion, too.

do you think i really care if you are a genius? .. mokko...

I don't care as well, but given his own map site, his post count, and his reputation, don't you think he might have a point worth thinking about? :D

User is offline   thatguy 

This is getting annoying. Just as bad as students in art/gaming schools that post their first sketch (the ones that never had experience or had drawn anything in their life) or models (the ones that think a horrible looking head is art). It is common sense and something professors like me teach our students. Your work isn't great unless it has some respectable critique from a peer or another artist. Also not to ever post your first piece of work. Why? Because they always get butt hurt when experienced or advanced artists rip your work apart. Seriously, learn to take critique. If they say the map is just a POS, then accept the fact that your work wasn't really that great. Don't talk back. If you are nothing but a novice, the best you can do is cry and let it go.

User is offline   Hank 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 03 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

This is getting annoying.

Exactly! It's like, don't judge me, I judge mine and you must agree or else. Posted Image

This is getting annoying. Just as bad as students in art/gaming schools that post their first sketch (the ones that never had experience or had drawn anything in their life) or models (the ones that think a horrible looking head is art). It is common sense and something professors like me teach our students. Your work isn't great unless it has some respectable critique from a peer or another artist. Also not to ever post your first piece of work. Why? Because they always get butt hurt when experienced or advanced artists rip your work apart. Seriously, learn to take critique. If they say the map is just a POS, then accept the fact that your work wasn't really that great. Don't talk back. If you are nothing but a novice, the best you can do is cry and let it go.

Ha, ha ha.... you make me laugh. Only the "pros" at building think it's a POS, aparentlly since they can build really good maps, they think anyone else's maps are just some bullshit that makes turtles look exciting.

User is offline   Gambini 

While you make a valid point. I don´t totally agree with it. Experienced people is worth being listened when they make constructive criticism. Even if it is your first work they´re talking about, some people are going to throw it down just because they, deep inside, are jealous about your lack of prejudices in a matter they´re obsessed, ergo detailing, lighting or whatever... There are people that make good stuff the first time. And there are experienced people that is going to despise anything coming from a noob, whatever its quality is.

This has nothing to do with this particular case where Mikko was being constructive and this guy´s first work isn´t good according to what people says. But when the moment of releasing my first project (for another game than duke) comes, i won´t let pros destroy it because I have critical eye and i know it is not bad. Let haters shove their destructive opinions up their arse, for big their experience is.

EDIT: Never forgotten posted while i was writting. I didn´t bear his comment into consideration.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 03 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

User is offline   Arwu 

His altitude makes me sick, some people have to much ego and never admit any faults made by yourself. maybe Never Forgotten have cross eyes on dont see other maps very well. . :D .. if someone say Your maps are crap then receive on chest that words and try to improve, there on forum are not much amount of people that want to play such maps.. Wake up buddy. . your altitude to others sounds like a nasty trollism

(sorry for bad english)

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostGambini, on 03 February 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

While you make a valid point. I don´t totally agree with it. Experienced people is worth being listened when they make constructive criticism. Even if it is your first work they´re talking about, some people are going to throw it down just because they, deep inside, are jealous about your lack of prejudices in a matter they´re obsessed, ergo detailing, lighting or whatever... There are people that make good stuff the first time. And there are experienced people that is going to despise anything coming from a noob, whatever its quality is.

This has nothing to do with this particular case where Mikko was being constructive and this guy´s first work isn´t good according to what people says. But when the moment of releasing my first project (for another game than duke) comes, i won´t let pros destroy it because I have critical eye and i know it is not bad. Let haters shove their destructive opinions up their arse, for big their experience is.

EDIT: Never forgotten posted while i was writting. I didn´t bear his comment into consideration.

You don't need to be a pro to have a keen eye on a particular piece/product. Before i started working, the first thing people noticed was my ability to understand what is good, what is bad, what can be fixed and how to take criticism. Then again, my old professor ripped my work apart so I learned a lot over the course of many years.

Anyways, I think we can agree this guy can't take anything, except maybe a stick up his ass.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 03 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options