Duke4.net Forums: DLC Campaign Impressions [SPOILERS!] - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DLC Campaign Impressions [SPOILERS!]  "The Doctor Who Cloned Me"

I am really happy that there is a moon level, though i wanted to travel to the moon like in duke3d episode 2. It was still satisfying to end up on the moon but it was too short for me.

Just met the clones. Thoroughly enjoying it. Much better then the main game so far. Well done triptych!!!

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 14 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   randir14 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 14 December 2011 - 01:20 PM, said:

I am really happy that there is a moon level, though i wanted to travel to the moon like in duke3d episode 2. It was still satisfying to end up on the moon but it was too short for me.

Yeah I felt the same way. "Wow, we actually got a space level". Then it just turned out to be a small section of moon-base and a vehicle sequence. I was hoping it was going to be longer and end with the alien fathership from the leaked plot.

This post has been edited by randir14: 14 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Finished the DLC and... it was ok. But it's still just DNF with more action and less turret sections/boring puzzles (at least they included more action this time). It's not that much better but it's still an improvement, that's for sure.
The moon level was a nice touch, by the way. Really liked that space vehicle, though it would be nice to travel through bigger space bases. Oh, and they removed the "interactive karaoke" (Not a big deal, though... actually I just expected it cause they announced it some time ago).

This post has been edited by LkMax: 14 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

Did you guys notice that Duke seemed to have more muscles in this DLC? You know, that bump map thing that was talked about a few months ago.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I thought they fixed that in the patch already before the DLC even arrived.

User is offline   Mack 

Completed the DLC tonight, I enjoyed it, it felt like a condensed DNF but with improvements (better humour for sure). I wish a few things were touched on however, although they're all my nitpicks.

+) After Duke kills the Droid in the introduction, he should have said "Terminated".

+) The Dr.Proton plot shouldn't have been Dr.Proton saving the earth so he could replace Duke, he should have been behind the alien invasion in Duke 3D and Dukes kidnapping in Duke 2. The remaining alien invasion after DNF should have been backed up with the droid army and then Duke discovering the alien queen on the Moon. Duke wakes up in the facility, progresses through, finds about the alien queen, Moon levels, kills Queen ("Ugh, you must be the ugly sister"), returns to Moon base, confirms about Proton (passive hints in the prior levels), then clone facility, facility escape, then Dr.Proton as the final boss, frees chicks who were held captive for the Clones love training.

+) In Duke Nukem 1, Dr.Proton escapes by blasting off in his rocket chair to another location. After fighting with Proton, (which should have been a larger, more grandiose exchange) the death should have been Duke seeing the glowing red 'eject' button, slams it, the rocket chair blasts off as Duke jumps off, Dr.Proton slams into the roof, explodes, then crashes to the ground dead. "The Doctor is now Out" snarly grins Duke.

+) I really don't like Dylan as a character, he's annoying, as a result I think Duke should be annoyed with him and make snarky remarks. "Ugh, you survived", "Do you ever shut up?", "I should have stepped on you when I had the chance" and when Dylan says "Hey, it's the exit! It's just like being born except without the pussy!" Duke should have said "I don't know, I'm looking at one right now". The only decent line he's had was the Bulletstorm reference joke. Dylan with his STD riddled thimble dick getting some at the end with the credits? No! Should have been Duke and nothing but the Duke.

+) The queen battle was alright, but I think it could have been done differently with Duke driving around collecting moon rover energy packs, then crushing the queens leg tips as before, entering the queen, getting to the ovaries, then planting the energy packs with a pipe bomb to go off. The resulting explosion would be nuke style. I really liked the moon level as a whole.

+) More droids from Duke Nukem 1

+) When Duke wakes up and sees the Duke clone giving the Presidents address, he should have said "What the, is that me?".

+) I didn't like the short bus, I would have preferred a (yes, clichéd) running crushing tunnel event. Also, it should have been a Cycloid showing up in the tunnel and Duke thinking he could shoot some explosive barrels laying around, which starts the chain reaction.

+) The Burning Bush bar should have had all the mini-games from Titty City. I'd still like to see a shareware Duke3d playable arcade machine.

+) The shrunken Duke maps in DNF were by far my favorite, the lab puzzle to get into the nursery could have been better.

+) The jumping puzzle with the bots reminded me too much of Derlic Row, just more annoying, I hated that 'puzzle'. "That was worse than Babeland" totally made up for it though.

+) The Impregnator sucks, The Expander rules.

+) The clone combat training should have been more of a multiplayer arena style and named 'Dukematch'. You have to go over to a console to launch the simulation and there's a DOS prompt that says "dukeforever.exe /a /q2 /v1 /l1"

+) The 'magnets, how do they fucking work?' meme joke, ugh, memes burn out hard and fast, shouldn't have been in there.

+) Biohazard is a crap multiplayer map, it should have been a moon map, with an open outside, anti-gravity area.

+) The DLC, just like the Parody Pack, splits the niche Dukematch community by automatically kicking non-DLC members. Not the best of moves. There's no way for local hosters with the crap hosting options to exclude DLC content either, so you'll go from a full server to 2 players (or no players) when the DLC maps load up. Gearbox should have never promised The Parody Pack or anything else for free to preorder customers, it, along with these new multiplayer maps and weapons, should have been free for everyone.

Gearbox should focus on paid single player/co-op DLC and if they wanted to do some Dukematch maps, start bringing some of the popular Dukematch maps from Duke 3D (Movie Set, Spin Cycle, Hotel Hell, Freeway, Original Hollywood Holocaust, Original Duke Burger) slowly. Most of the players online are Duke 3d fans anyways, so fan servicing them would do nothing but Gearbox good.

Here's hoping more SP DLC will be released.

This post has been edited by Mack: 15 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostTetsuo, on 14 December 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

I thought they fixed that in the patch already before the DLC even arrived.

I guess I didn't notice it earlier. I haven't played Duke for a few months before the DLC came out.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMack, on 14 December 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

+) I really don't like Dylan as a character, he's annoying, as a result I think Duke should be annoyed with him and make snarky remarks. "Ugh, you survived", "Do you ever shut up?", "I should have stepped on you when I had the chance" and when Dylan says "Hey, it's the exit! It's just like being born except without the pussy!" Duke should have said "I don't know, I'm looking at one right now". The only decent line he's had was the Bulletstorm reference joke. Dylan with his STD riddled thimble dick getting some at the end with the credits? No! Should have been Duke and nothing but the Duke.

I think it'd be a mistake for Duke to get annoyed at Dylan. His character is just who he is. If Duke said he doesn't like Dylan or his jokes, then Dylan would stop making them, and then there really wouldn't be a point of him being there. There are people like Yatta who like the character, and I sometimes smirk at his comments. I think the good thing about it is that Duke doesn't reply to him at all, so it's up to the player to decide whether Duke secretly despises him and keeps it to himself, or likes him. Officially within the game they're good friends though.
On that note, I recall in the podcast, the developers were discussing whether the game should have a lot of swearing all over the place, or not much swearing at all, and they decided something in-between; that pretty much all the game's swearing would be condensed down into one section/character, which was Dylan, who swore every 3 words in the original game. They also described him "as like another Duke Nukem".

I also prefer that Dr Proton was kept separate from the aliens. Maybe if it was part of the original game, it would have been better if he was ultimately behind the entire attack, but since he only arrived in DLC, I think he's good as a separate entity. Like I've previously said, it was good having Dr Proton's forces clash with the aliens on several occasions. It was also a good idea removing the faceless EDF troops who sometimes fought with Duke. Those were pointless and unless, which made them annoying. Duke doesn't need anyone really.

On another topic; In the trailer, we hear General Graves say something like "What's your angle Dr. Proton, you've never cared about humanity" but I don't recall hearing that in the game. Did anybody else hear it?
I also hope Dr Proton makes a return in future game(s). Since it was a cloning facility, who Duke fought could easily be a clone of Dr Proton.

User is offline   Stabs 

i just feel that way about it, it was as good as it was bad, i think it was the environments length, most of the more uninspiring ones, mainly the steel corridor boring facility sections where too long while the environments you hoped where longer are way too short. new weapons are pretty meh, geeze just let us rip up some pigcops with the minigun ffs.

Really wish they would do some mayhem mode patch that you could check in gameplay that spawns all pigcops with random weapons, even all the dlc ones for single player.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I loved the DLC!

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said before. Surprisingly everyone seems to think the same way about it :)

The only thing that bothered me are the first caves, they look like they've been made with the quake 2 engine, really bad compared to the Hive level in the regular campaign. I'll see if I can find a screen of it.

Skip to @4:27 and watch that cave... the only part I didn't like of the DLC.

edit: Hell you can already see it in the preview screenshot of the video.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 15 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   Mack 

View PostMicky C, on 15 December 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

Dylan & Dr Proton.

Yeah, just my little nitpicks. :) I realized that in the DLC I built up Dr.Proton so huge in my mind as the arch nemesis of Duke and was disappointed of how things ran in the plot and concluded for him. Someone on the forums said that 'everyone has a version of DNF or Duke in their heads', which is so true. :P As for Dylan, I have some friends who like him/find him funny, I just think he tries too hard, which annoys me a lot.

I liked Dylan a lot. I can't see any problems with the cave Davox. Is there anything specific that i should look at?

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Enjoyed the DLC from the begining until the end, and I ENJOYED EVERY SINGLE MOMENT OF IT.

I'm going to re-play it in Damn I'm good for the achievement. It's still DNF, but it's a lot better than the main campaign.

I wish they keep these improvements for the new Duke Nukem game, this one was a very enjoyable experience.

Loved the DLC too, really, really enjoyed it. Awesome ideas, especially the boss fights. Dylan was fucking awesome, *dick* *dick* *dick* :)

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Itd be interesting if Tryptich were to start with a brand new engine, maybe reuse the character models (since they don't look bad at all) and import them to Unreal Engine 3 and start making smaller Duke Nukem games.
I feel they've proved themself with this DLC. In the few months they made it in, it is better than most of DNF. I also feel like they were working with limitations, since the engine is quite a mess. Give them a new/updated engine, maybe a few more guys, and a smaller scale project = a really good Duke game.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

So the DLC was mostly scrapped levels from the original DNF.

https://twitter.com/...806718196748289

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostYatta, on 15 December 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

Told ya. :)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 15 December 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

Told ya. :)

You did?

Always bet on NUKEMDAVE :)

• Honored Donor

View PostYatta, on 15 December 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

Oooo Gearbox aren't going to be happy about that Posted Image
Now it's going to be litterally impossible to take anything they say at face value.

With all the "nothing has been cut from the game to sell as DLC later" and "we as a company don't start thinking about what we do after until we finish our current project" and "all the levels have been made from scratch."
They can't even be honest about the simple things.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The Tweet doesn't say that Gearbox is responsible for cutting the content.

In retrospect, it was a great decision anyway. Had the content made the cut, the game would have been 12+ hours long, which is way too long for a typical shooter. Idiots don't understand that more doesn't mean better.

User is offline   Lunick 

Wasn't that obvious though that the content in the DLC was scrapped levels?

View PostYatta, on 15 December 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

You did?

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 08 October 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

The only thing that upsets me is the single player DLC that we're supposed to get. 15 levels taken from the original single player campaign which should have stayed in there in the first place.

Pretty close. I'd say at least a couple of levels are new or re-done.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 15 December 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

In retrospect, it was a great decision anyway. Had the content made the cut, the game would have been 12+ hours long, which is way too long for a typical shooter. Idiots don't understand that more doesn't mean better.

How, exactly, is 12+ hours too long?

• Honored Donor

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 15 December 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

Whether it's a 'great decision' or not is irrelevant. The fact is they're caught red handed lying to us over and over again. It's like they're allergic to the truth or something.

View PostLunick, on 15 December 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Wasn't that obvious though that the content in the DLC was scrapped levels?

Although it was highly likely, we didn't have enough information to be 100% certain. Now we do, and it's always nice to have confirmation of a debated topic.

I knew there was stuff cut when I first played the game. I could sense that things were missing.

User is offline   Jeff 

Since that was cut content that was supposed to ship with the original game, the next patch should try and piece together the game using the DLC to fill in the missing pieces.

User is offline   Kathy 

If it was cut it doesn't mean it was in a state to be released in June either. It's not like they cut it right before the shipping and released as dlc several weeks later. Either they lied about it being from scratch or not wouldn't change that levels weren't ready to be in the full game.

This post has been edited by Helel: 16 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

I still say there's more they cut than what was in this DLC.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options