Duke4.net Forums: DLC Campaign Impressions [SPOILERS!] - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DLC Campaign Impressions [SPOILERS!]  "The Doctor Who Cloned Me"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't think it's overpowered at all, I can easily avoid the rockets. It's annoying at best.

User is offline   Jeff 

Devastator, pipe bomb, and a jetpack with the unlimited ammo mutator is tough to beat.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJeff, on 16 January 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Devastator, pipe bomb, and a jetpack with the unlimited ammo mutator is tough to beat.

Unlimited ammo breaks all weapon balance, so of course it is. I can't understand why people want to use it, it seems like 50% of all servers use it...

This post has been edited by necroslut: 17 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 16 January 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

I don't think it's overpowered at all, I can easily avoid the rockets.

Not when i spam rockets like shit. :unsure:

User is offline   Martin 

What I remember of DNF multiplayer is that whoever had the Devastator and camped it's spawn location always won. Always.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMartin, on 14 April 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

What I remember of DNF multiplayer is that whoever had the Devastator and camped it's spawn location always won. Always.

This. I also remember horrible games with laggy hosts, though.

I remember the multiplayer map when you are shrunk in the kitchen. Good times with a jetpack and devastator. There's even a double damage powerup <_< Total domination.

User is offline   Martin 

That was a good map. In fact, that was by far my favourite part of the DNF campaign, when you are shrunk and in Duke Burger. First-Person platforming done right, and the content of the level was probably the only part of DNF that got the the Duke-humour right. For me, at least.

I liked it as well. The new version of pizzed sounds awesome too.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMartin, on 14 April 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

That was a good map. In fact, that was by far my favourite part of the DNF campaign, when you are shrunk and in Duke Burger. First-Person platforming done right, and the content of the level was probably the only part of DNF that got the the Duke-humour right. For me, at least.

That was the (only) part when I thought "now I'm playing real DNF".

I liked the desert part as well. Just too empty <_<

Dr. Proton WAS underused, though they did pick a nice voice actor for him. However, if I had made Doctor Proton as a boss, I would have paid homage to DN1 by having multiple encounters with the doc, where each encounter would have Dr. P with a different mechanical apparatus. The final could have Duke fighting Dr. P in a vast L.A. stadium, and after beating Proton his hoverchair would be flying frenetically shooting sparks, and then he would shoot like a comet into the stadium lights. There are lots of ways to make Dr. Proton more integral to the story, and I wish we had access to the scripts in progress for the alpha/beta stages of DNF to get a better idea as to what the boss fight would be like.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think people are blowing out of proportion how much better the DLC was compared to the original campaign. Yes, the tone was a lot better, the humour was more on the right track, and level design was *slightly* better, and I'll even give it that the dialogue between characters was a lot better, but everything else was exactly the same: From the broken combat, to having long stretches where nothing happens.

As for Titty City, it would have been 100x better if you could have fought aliens in the strip club, and have the strippers react to you and and the aliens fighting. But yes DNF needs more levels that aren't just a straight line.

• Honored Donor

But in Duke 3D you're pretty much shooting things all the time too. I agree that Duke games should have other stuff than just shooting, but while DNF seperates all these components out, in Duke 3D all these things happened at once. Exploration, interactivity, puzzles and humour all at the same time while kicking alien ass. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

User is offline   trustn0! 

View PostMicky C, on 11 June 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

DNF seperates all these components out

Its exactly one of the biggest problems plaguing DNF as a whole.

Its not structured well.
The DLC remedies this somewhat but as you said it still has the same combat limitations and it does take a while till you are given a greater sense of freedom and more egregiously the long stretches of nothing(the entire beginning of it is a good example).

But look at DNF proper.Mechanics are brought up and used just once and never again.
The hive is the biggest example of this with the glow bugs/

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Posttrustn0!, on 11 June 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Its exactly one of the biggest problems plaguing DNF as a whole.

Its not structured well.
The DLC remedies this somewhat but as you said it still has the same combat limitations and it does take a while till you are given a greater sense of freedom and more egregiously the long stretches of nothing(the entire beginning of it is a good example).

But look at DNF proper.Mechanics are brought up and used just once and never again.
The hive is the biggest example of this with the glow bugs/

I don't mind one off gameplay mechanics, what I mind was that the game was, both the DLC and the FULL thing fail to blur the edges around the various concepts in the game.

Take Duke3D, the first level. Whilst in combat, you can also find secrets, and interact with the environment. If this were DNF, you'd face aliens in two areas, and then the rest would be going up there, or down there to hit a switch to open a door, and the arcade would be a sealed off thing with some interactive bits in it.

The problem just comes down to the way the game handles itself.

I just finished the DLC, and yeah, it's exactly what I thought it was from watching videos of it. It's the same exact gameplay as DNF. The exact same. There is no difference between this and DNF. You have driving sections, you have arena shoot outs, you have physics/crane puzzles, and you have lots of walking around doing nothing. It's the same thing with a different color paint on it. Instead of a dream sequence, you go to the burning bush. Instead of an RC car, you're in a holsomobile. Instead of the Mighty Foot, it's the moon buggy.

As far as Duke's attitude being better played... Eh. Some of his one liners are better, but Duke still suffers from his doucheness.

I will admit seeing more Graves was fun, and Proton was cool, though horribly under used. And it was nice to return to the moon environments... Though I would have preferred more time indoors and dealing with alien hive stuff.

All, and all... Meh. I bought it because I do want another Duke game to come out, and i'm showing my support as a Duke fan, but I honestly consider Duke Nukem Forever, and it's DLC to be failures.

• Honored Donor

Speaking of the alien environments in DNF, I thought they were incredibly lazy creatively speaking. They were all static, and usually just random tendrils and patterns of organic material on the walls and floors. Um, that was the exact same thing in Duke 3D. What I would absolutely love to see, is the alien organic stuff taking over a building when you're inside! Imagine: Alien stuff spreading over the surfaces with you trying to outrun it, tendrils breaking down walls and reaching out for you, maybe you'd even be able to shoot them to slow them down! That would be fucking epic. That's another area DNF failed in, it didn't really answer any of the questions put forward in Duke 3D or expand much on the universe.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 14 June 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

What I would absolutely love to see, is the alien organic stuff taking over a building when you're inside! Imagine: Alien stuff spreading over the surfaces with you trying to outrun it, tendrils breaking down walls and reaching out for you, maybe you'd even be able to shoot them to slow them down! That would be fucking epic.

Also wouldn't be really original. Didn't Doom3 have the same stuff?

• Honored Donor

I haven't played Doom 3. And in all seriousness, considering how badly DNF ripped shitty stuff off of other games, I don't think that ripping something actually good would be much of a problem.

User is offline   Kathy 

DNF did rip good stuff, but the problem was in its actual realisation.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 15 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBurnett, on 15 June 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

DNF did rip good stuff, but the problem was in its actual realisation.

Nothing in terms of gameplay, honestly.

View PostBurnett, on 14 June 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Also wouldn't be really original. Didn't Doom3 have the same stuff?

Nope. The stuff was exactly like in DNF. Static tendrils that had a texture warping effect on them. They were in no way dynamic.

So DNF did rip it off to a degree anyway, about five years later.
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

User is offline   Kathy 

Nope. The stuff was exactly like in DNF. Static tendrils that had a texture warping effect on them. They were in no way dynamic.

So DNF did rip it off to a degree anyway, about five years later.

Without gameplay-catch it's just ripping of Aliens then.

Oh, btw. Didn't Arkham Asylum had dynamic tendrils and stuff? Can't remember how dynamic it was.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Just beat the DLC on Expert/Insane difficulty. The main game had some really tough spots on Insane but this one really had just one, the fucking drones that swarm on you right before the Doc enters the stage. Anyways, I now have 100% of achievements in both DNF and the DLC.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 17 June 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Just beat the DLC on Expert/Insane difficulty. The main game had some really tough spots on Insane but this one really had just one, the fucking drones that swarm on you right before the Doc enters the stage. Anyways, I now have 100% of achievements in both DNF and the DLC.

What were your thoughts Mikko?

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options