Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE, Update] CrackDown - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE, Update] CrackDown  "Second level's up"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

There's an underdraw problem with TROR/classic in CYPRUS.map. I have outlined the cause and a possible solution in this album: http://imgur.com/a/6Yt5T

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I finally found some spare time so I tried this out, the levels were very nicely detailed and the gameplay was somewhat refreshing. It's nice to have a bit of a mission to follow, and to fight human enemies for a change in the build engine. The only real complaint is what others have mentioned; that the levels are really cramped in places. That, combined with heavy detailing also makes it more difficult to navigate, as I had trouble distinguishing corridors from non-corridors if that makes any sense. There were also a lot of prop doors which for me is a tad annoying because I end up pressing open on every single one of them, often more than once, only to find they're useless. (I guess that doesn't count as a criticism because it obviously adds to the immersion of the place.)
Still, it's a quaint little mod, and I'll be looking forward to playing more maps by you in the future!

User is offline   CruX 

View PostJames, on 30 September 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

Just played the second level - nice work on the improved laser gun. I think this mod would definitly benefit from the ability to lean, and improved accuracy for crouching and standing. Since enemies shoot real fast and can't be stunned by being shot it would make more sense to add a few more tactical elements. If you were aiming for more old-school gameplay than enemy pain states definitly need to be added. I'd also tone down the rolling when strafing since whilst cool it made me feel like I was on roller-skates than anything else :(

Good suggestions! The enemies actually do have pain states, but they rarely enter them. Despite how it may seem, they can't take much firepower (the strongest enemy is the assault marine and he only has 75 HP), so often times they end up dying before the pain state can happen. I went ahead and made the ifrnd command that determined that just a little higher in light of this. I also decided to improve the accuracy for the assault rifle and uzi if the player's standing still/crouching. The screenrolling on strafing, however, stays. I like it too much :(

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 30 September 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

I also noticed you could talk to the commander guy at the beginning through the locked safe to the right of the shotgun on the first level.

You must've been playing the very first (very buggy) version I released. The captain and dignitary NPC's didn't have an ifpdistl check for initializing the dialog (I thought they did, but I was wrong) so you could end up accidentally triggering it anywhere on the map as long as you were facing the NPC in question. That should be fixed now, though. In fact, with this latest update, all issues with the dialog should be resolved. The problem with the distance check failing in the update yesterday was put to rest with the addition of a simple ifp pstanding check, so now the NPC's and the terminal will only initialize the dialog if the player's within the right distance and standing still.

View PostMicky C, on 01 October 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

I finally found some spare time so I tried this out, the levels were very nicely detailed and the gameplay was somewhat refreshing. It's nice to have a bit of a mission to follow, and to fight human enemies for a change in the build engine. The only real complaint is what others have mentioned; that the levels are really cramped in places. That, combined with heavy detailing also makes it more difficult to navigate, as I had trouble distinguishing corridors from non-corridors if that makes any sense. There were also a lot of prop doors which for me is a tad annoying because I end up pressing open on every single one of them, often more than once, only to find they're useless. (I guess that doesn't count as a criticism because it obviously adds to the immersion of the place.)
Still, it's a quaint little mod, and I'll be looking forward to playing more maps by you in the future!

Thanks, scaling is something I'm going to make sure I balance out a bit better in the future. As far as this project is concerned, I think I've done just about everything I want to do with it, aside from fixing any other bugs/glitches that may crop up. Apart from that, I'll be moving on to bigger and better stuff, and I'm glad I decided to release something of this scale first, because it's been a good learning experience.

View PostHelixhorned, on 01 October 2011 - 03:09 AM, said:

There's an underdraw problem with TROR/classic in CYPRUS.map. I have outlined the cause and a possible solution in this album: http://imgur.com/a/6Yt5T

I appreciate your taking the time to explain all of this, but it isn't quite clicking. To be clear, I noticed there was a problem with those sectors, but I left them that way on the assumption that nothing could be done about them; TROR is still kind of a new thing for me, so I don't quite know all of its odds and ends. Though I think I get the gist of the solution you're suggesting, I'm not having much luck getting it to work out.
So, I've got to get the caps at one end of the pipes to be the same sector as the area that's surrounding them. I figure the best way to go about it is to delete one of the caps. This is what happens when I try...
Posted Image
I go ahead and delete the other two caps, though, and then delete the sectors that surround the area, so the three pipes are just an island now...
Posted Image
After that point I figure I can just start redrawing the surround area, and everything'll work out...One of two things will happen once that's done...
Posted Image
I either get this, or the pipes appear to be an independent sector just floating out in the middle of the hallway. I'm guessing this is because the newly created surrounding sector isn't extended, but there's nothing I can do for that, either. Do I have to just start over with it?

• EDuke32 Developer

No, there's no need do delete or create new sectors, simply joining the 'outer' ones with the 'endpoints' for the piper fixes the issue. (The map at this stage is attached.) You could add them back in afterwards, but make sure that they are inner to the surrounding sector, as pictured earlier. It's a bit unfortunate that a convex bunch area isn't sufficient for its proper drawing, but that's the way TROR works there -- it needs a starting sector for every level, and when that doesn't get drawn, the others don't get collected and drawn either.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Jblade 

Good suggestions! The enemies actually do have pain states, but they rarely enter them. Despite how it may seem, they can't take much firepower (the strongest enemy is the assault marine and he only has 75 HP), so often times they end up dying before the pain state can happen. I went ahead and made the ifrnd command that determined that just a little higher in light of this. I also decided to improve the accuracy for the assault rifle and uzi if the player's standing still/crouching. The screenrolling on strafing, however, stays. I like it too much :(

Cool - I respect your decision on the rolling since at least it feels very different to standard Duke movement, even if I don't agree with it :(

User is offline   necroslut 

Very nice mod. :( I liked how it didn't really feel like Duke at all. I hope you'll make more maps for it eventually.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostHelixhorned, on 01 October 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

No, there's no need do delete or create new sectors, simply joining the 'outer' ones with the 'endpoints' for the piper fixes the issue. (The map at this stage is attached.) You could add them back in afterwards, but make sure that they are inner to the surrounding sector, as pictured earlier. It's a bit unfortunate that a convex bunch area isn't sufficient for its proper drawing, but that's the way TROR works there -- it needs a starting sector for every level, and when that doesn't get drawn, the others don't get collected and drawn either.

It's funny, in all the time I've been mapping (the better part of a decade), I don't think I've ever used that 'join' command till just now :( Well, in any event the fixed map is uploaded, so with that out of the way, the only concern I still have is how this mod runs with Linux (if at all). I've yet to hear anything else about it after the first release, so I'm kinda in the dark on this.

View PostJames, on 01 October 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

Cool - I respect your decision on the rolling since at least it feels very different to standard Duke movement, even if I don't agree with it :(

TBH, I'm not even sure why I find it so cool, it just is. Maybe because it breaks a little bit of the mold, like you observed.

View Postnecroslut, on 02 October 2011 - 02:14 AM, said:

Very nice mod. :( I liked how it didn't really feel like Duke at all. I hope you'll make more maps for it eventually.

Maybe one day, but for the time being, I'm going to start working on something else.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostEmericaSkater, on 02 October 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

It's funny, in all the time I've been mapping (the better part of a decade), I don't think I've ever used that 'join' command till just now :( Well, in any event the fixed map is uploaded, so with that out of the way, the only concern I still have is how this mod runs with Linux (if at all). I've yet to hear anything else about it after the first release, so I'm kinda in the dark on this.

/me echoes the :(

The mod works great out-of-the-box on Linux now, thx for taking the time!

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 02 October 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

Maybe one day, but for the time being, I'm going to start working on something else.

Well, I guess that's even better. :(

User is offline   XThX2 

Hey, I've played this many times and it's really fun ! Even though it has 2 levels, it's totally different from Duke and very fun to play ! During my plays I've noticed several things;

* The angle check should NOT be required to exit the dialogue or read further. I was trying to speedrun and because I pressed the use key too early and I ended up not looking at him, I was stuck on dialogue screen. (I mean the captain)
* The weapon switching is a bit off. Doesn't feel right.
* I somehow still can't find the gun with the scope. I noticed the pickup sprites for the laser rifle is the one that has a scope on it. Isn't it for the gun with that actual scope that shows the view ?
* Dignitary should say something different when you skip him and clean everyone then go to him.
* I have no problem with this but the laser rifle doesn't kill the armored guys in 1 shot at times. Shouldn't it be that strong ?
* Shotgun and Assault Rifle seem to be the best weapons to use so far, looking forward to more levels from you ! (Although I think you said you won't keep making things for this)

Anyway, keep up the good work !

This post has been edited by XThX2: 03 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   CruX 

Hmm...I updated the file again just now, but some of these things you mention sound like glitches that were in various older versions. I'll try to respond point-by-point...

* The angle check should NOT be required to exit the dialogue or read further. I was trying to speedrun and because I pressed the use key too early and I ended up not looking at him, I was stuck on dialogue screen. (I mean the captain)

The angle check shouldn't be causing any problems at all. The second you engage the NPC, your angle locks out so there's no possible way to change it, and you have to be facing them in order to engage them in the first place, so the value should always be valid. When I originally updated the mod with the second level, there was a really nasty glitch that would cause you to get stuck in a dialog loop if you were moving around when engaging the NPC. Your movement would lock out, but you'd still wind up sliding away, so the distance check that was required to talk to an NPC would end up failing, and you wouldn't be able to proceed. You may be describing that, but it was fixed with the last update. Either way, I spent over twenty minutes trying to force an error with the angles, and couldn't make it happen.

* The weapon switching is a bit off. Doesn't feel right.

This sounds like something that was happening with the older versions that didn't have auto weapon switching. When you were on a weapon that didn't have any ammo, the weapon scrolling would occasionally hang, though you'd still hear the
WOOSH sound. I never found out what specifically was causing it, but when I re-enabled auto switching, everything seemed to work just fine.

* I somehow still can't find the gun with the scope. I noticed the pickup sprites for the laser rifle is the one that has a scope on it. Isn't it for the gun with that actual scope that shows the view ?
* Dignitary should say something different when you skip him and clean everyone then go to him.

These were just some odds and ends that I was too lazy to deal with, but they've been fixed with this latest update. Thanks for calling me on that, otherwise I might never have bothered.

* I have no problem with this but the laser rifle doesn't kill the armored guys in 1 shot at times. Shouldn't it be that strong ?

Nope, it shouldn't. The only weapon that I want to be capable of one-shotting assault marines is the plasma cannon, and that's only if you charge it up enough.

* Shotgun and Assault Rifle seem to be the best weapons to use so far

Aren't they always? :( I'm glad you liked it. Along with DT, you were one of the first people to help me start learning this stuff by answering my retarded questions, so your input's really valuable.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks for the release. I enjoyed the simplicity if it. My health was very low throughout and just one shot would kill me, but honestly, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the difficulty of it. I can't wait for more! :(

User is offline   XThX2 

Shotgun 1 shots the assault marines :( I really loved the shotgun and the way it animates by the way ,it's so smooth. Oh and, I based that review on the update in which you released the 2nd map so I'm not sure, I'll pick it up again though.

To elaborate the weapon switching thing, it was my bad I used the wrong words. I mean, when you switch between weapons, they first lower and then come up. It doesn't feel right and I've had the same problem before. I'm not sure how I fixed it as I was too far away from my code for quite some time but if you want I can try to help you.

One more thing, you need to decrease the y offset of pistol and shotgun by 1, they go over the hud when you walk fast.

Note : I just love this so much, I play this every 2 days, it's so fun and short, pretty satisfactory. I don't recall doing this for any mod I've played other than WGR2.

Another Note : Where are the musics from ? :(

This post has been edited by XThX2: 04 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

I've just played both levels on 2nd difficulty - liked it a lot! It's indeed somewhat refreshing to fight against human opponents. They're harder then the normal alien enemies and I ended up dying quite a few times.. but that's ok! I don't mind a little difficulty and it made the maps feel more rewarding.
Loved the shotgun and the machine gun, in fact I pretty much only used those 2 weapons. The futuristic laser guns looked cool but I almost never used them. They weren't very effective in close combat and against these type of enemies.

The levels looked very good, great trimwork and it all looked very polished and well designed. I also liked the fact that both levels were mission based, it just adds an extra element to it all. Great job! :(

User is offline   CruX 

View PostRadar1013, on 04 October 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the release. I enjoyed the simplicity if it. My health was very low throughout and just one shot would kill me, but honestly, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the difficulty of it. I can't wait for more! :(

In all the feedback I've gotten, the difficulty's been the most reoccurring thing, but I've never once heard anyone say that it was aggravating or overwhelming, which is good. Makes me think I found a good balance between casual and challenging gameplay.

View PostXThX2, on 04 October 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Note : I just love this so much, I play this every 2 days, it's so fun and short, pretty satisfactory. I don't recall doing this for any mod I've played other than WGR2.

Another Note : Where are the musics from ? :(

I'm flattered :D

It had a pretty rough start with all the buggy initial releases, but it's really great to know that it was that enjoyable past all those technical faults. The track for the first level and end level scenes ("bonus" music, or whatever) came from some old SNES game called Doom Troopers, which had something to do with that Mutant Chronicles franchise. Never got into it myself, but that game was alright, and the sound track was pretty good. I honestly can't tell you where the track for the second level came from, other than it was off some god-awful PSX wrestling game my brother bought from a bargain bin back when I was a kid. Me and him only played it once or twice (and that was nearly 15 years ago), and never picked it up again after that. However, my brother noted that it had a pretty good soundtrack so he ripped all of the music files off the CD, and they've just kinda floated around from one hard drive to another all this time. If you want, I can maybe zip that stuff up and attach it here or something. It's pretty good music, and deserves to be appreciated a little more than it is right now.

View PostMerlijn, on 09 October 2011 - 06:10 AM, said:

I've just played both levels on 2nd difficulty - liked it a lot! It's indeed somewhat refreshing to fight against human opponents. They're harder then the normal alien enemies and I ended up dying quite a few times.. but that's ok! I don't mind a little difficulty and it made the maps feel more rewarding.
Loved the shotgun and the machine gun, in fact I pretty much only used those 2 weapons. The futuristic laser guns looked cool but I almost never used them. They weren't very effective in close combat and against these type of enemies.

The levels looked very good, great trimwork and it all looked very polished and well designed. I also liked the fact that both levels were mission based, it just adds an extra element to it all. Great job! :(

Laser-type weapons just aren't my thing, and I think the functionality they had in this mod reflected that. I do think the laser-rifle has some practical purpose in longer-range firefights, but like you, I typically wound up just sticking with the shotgun and assault rifle, partly for effectiveness and partly for aesthetic, since IMO they also just look a whole helluva lot better than the laser weapons. It's good to hear you liked the level design, since that's what held this mod's release up for so long. I originally designed part of the Cyprus map (the main street, at least) six or seven months ago, but sort of abandoned it. When I started working on this mod (which was originally just supposed to be a weapons/enemies replacement), I figured I'd go ahead and pick that map back up since it had a pretty decent beginning. I didn't think it'd take very long, but urban map design isn't my forte', nor is it something I particularly enjoy doing, so a 1-2 month job wound up turning into damn near six. It's good to know that it still met a veteran mapper's standards/expectations, despite all the redesigning and other crap I did (or didn't do) to it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

finally found time to play this; been on my todo list for awhile

i didn't read through all this, so if i repeat something already said, i don't mean to beat a dead horse

used the snapshot that came with it and got several visual glitches. nothing that detracted from game play. if it's related to tror, then maybe the latest snapshot would fix it
the only thing that really messed me up, the barrels of the weapons weren't pointing anywhere near center ( i turned vsync on), so i had to use the crosshairs as aiming reference (which i'm not used to except for sniping long distance with the pistol in regular duke)
three weapons did about the same damage and were rather redundant (laser rifle, m-14, & automatic pistol)

i found the game play challenging and rather enjoyable. it was tough keeping the health at a level where a few good shots wouldn't kill me, but it was far from frustrating, rather, it added to the excitement
the level was well designed and i enjoyed the environment
i'd like to see more of this project

User is offline   CruX 

View PostForge, on 24 November 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

finally found time to play this; been on my todo list for awhile

i didn't read through all this, so if i repeat something already said, i don't mean to beat a dead horse

used the snapshot that came with it and got several visual glitches. nothing that detracted from game play. if it's related to tror, then maybe the latest snapshot would fix it
the only thing that really messed me up, the barrels of the weapons weren't pointing anywhere near center ( i turned vsync on), so i had to use the crosshairs as aiming reference (which i'm not used to except for sniping long distance with the pistol in regular duke)
three weapons did about the same damage and were rather redundant (laser rifle, m-14, & automatic pistol)

i found the game play challenging and rather enjoyable. it was tough keeping the health at a level where a few good shots wouldn't kill me, but it was far from frustrating, rather, it added to the excitement
the level was well designed and i enjoyed the environment
i'd like to see more of this project

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, did you pickup the latest version when you played through this, or did you download it way back when it was in it's first few releases? You only mentioned playing through one level, so I'm not sure. Either way, how do you figure the laser rifle is like the m-14/uzi? It's essentially a single-shot railgun type of weapon in the last version, and it can instantly kill two of the enemies. IMO it's nothing like either of them, but I know other people's mileage can vary. Either way, good to hear you liked it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 28 November 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, did you pickup the latest version when you played through this, or did you download it way back when it was in it's first few releases? You only mentioned playing through one level, so I'm not sure. ...

The copy i played has only one map

User is offline   CruX 

Grab the newest one, then. There's an extra map and the weapons have been (slightly) revamped :D

User is offline   Forge 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 28 November 2011 - 08:52 AM, said:

Grab the newest one, then. There's an extra map and the weapons have been (slightly) revamped :D

downloaded. i have a little on my plate right now, but i'll check it out when my current obligations have been fulfilled.

User is offline   Gambini 

Just played this mini mod. The most suitable word I found for it is cute. I enjoyed myself with it. While pretty modest, for some reason reminded me to some Nes war game (in a good way) and at the same time to Alejandro Glavic´s awesome maps.

The enemies, items and weapons are functional, nice and simple. They do their work abd blend excellently with each other, sounds included. I could not appreciate how smart the enemies was because it was a matter of "It´s me or you" at the very first glance, so most times they didnt even have time to move from their original position. The map as i said is very good looking and with a straightforward layout, which reminds me again to Alejandro´s maps. Funnily that i had to save my game and restart because I didn´t pay attention to my partner´s speech in the beginning (it was too long) but after cleaning the area and going back to the bank manager i didnt know what to do.

Great mod, wish it were longer (y)

Posted Image This is the game i´m talking about.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostGambini, on 14 January 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

Just played this mini mod. The most suitable word I found for it is cute. I enjoyed myself with it. While pretty modest, for some reason reminded me to some Nes war game (in a good way) and at the same time to Alejandro Glavic´s awesome maps.

The enemies, items and weapons are functional, nice and simple. They do their work abd blend excellently with each other, sounds included. I could not appreciate how smart the enemies was because it was a matter of "It´s me or you" at the very first glance, so most times they didnt even have time to move from their original position. The map as i said is very good looking and with a straightforward layout, which reminds me again to Alejandro´s maps. Funnily that i had to save my game and restart because I didn´t pay attention to my partner´s speech in the beginning (it was too long) but after cleaning the area and going back to the bank manager i didnt know what to do.

Well, "cute" wasn't necessarily the summary I was going for, but I guess between the dialogue, the enemies and the snarky obits, it's a pretty reasonable way to size it up. It's good that you enjoyed it. It's even better that you compared the maps with Alejandro's because, while his stuff's never been an inspiration, I've pretty much enjoyed every map he's ever put out and always found the design something worth aspiring to.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 16 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I like the use of Terminator: FS weapon sprites. More mods should make use of them.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options