Duke4.net Forums: DNF Demo released to Public - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Demo released to Public  "I guess Pigs do fly"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Your post is largely incoherent, you claim to hate all the whining that goes on, but your post is just begging for some cheese to go with all that whine.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostX-Vector, on 22 June 2011 - 01:43 AM, said:

You mean this sort of thing:

http://forums.duke4....7038#entry97038

No, Yatta's way of putting it is the right way. What I'm talking about is the "hurrrrr fuck that bullshit bullshitter GB and his DNF bullshit!!1" kind of thing Caine has been posting.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostCaine, on 21 June 2011 - 02:31 AM, said:

the scores mostly are bad but their points are much legit - the graphicbullshit they say.

this game isnt so old school man talk either. it tries to be more newschool but in a bad way.
why does it fall in most aspects shorter than dn3d did? legit.

My GOD!!!! Could you please try making a coherent sentence next time you post? Reading this is like eating glass.

@'Ripemanewone

I understand your frustration, but people have every right to voice their opinions. A good majority of those people who don't like DNF have legitimate reasons for not liking it. Also may i suggest you take a chill pill? Swearing in almost every sentence while calling someone an idiot makes people think your a jackass and a moron.

Hehe, i guess if i want some +votes i should flame caine :D

View Postrasmus thorup, on 22 June 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Hehe, i guess if i want some +votes i should flame caine :D

No you should just say DNF is the greatest game ever and all the fan-boys will give you a +.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostRipemanewone, on 22 June 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

(unnecessary post)

Minus'd for not respecting the forum rules.

User is offline   Ronin 

Fair enough, I guess I was a bit hot headed and went a bit too far.

View PostReaperMan, on 22 June 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

No you should just say DNF is the greatest game ever and all the fan-boys will give you a +.

I agree with you, but you must agree with me too, the people bashing him really did get + votes :D

User is offline   You 

I really hope it's not the FAC demo again. While the game wasn't 100%, the demo was much worse. It just didn't feel great and the driving section felt rubbish, while in the real game I felt it melted in nicely.

This post has been edited by You: 22 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's likely the PAX demo. The demo that the FAC members got was the PAX demo.

Well, pax demo + cave.

User is offline   You 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 22 June 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

It's likely the PAX demo. The demo that the FAC members got was the PAX demo.

I meant to write FAC, edited the post.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I played the demo...people were talking about the weapons feeling powerful? Are you kidding? It took two and a half rounds of the devastator to take down the boss. I'll need to play through the final level in Duke3D, but I feel like that is a bit much.

In general, I felt the demo wasn't bad, I don't care nor pay attention to the graphic stuff. I was not really bothered by the 2 weapon limit but I don't like that the pipebombs are default "3" and the melee is just dumb. Middle mouse button should be pipebombs and screw melee. I was bothered by the sever lack of ammunition you can hold. I ran short on most everything way too fast and even ran out of ammo mid fight with pig cops (not fun, but thank Jehovah for the regen health, right?)

The interactivity stuff was "meh" since it had no real effect on things and the coded sequence in the stadium (where you are supposed to run and then get blown back) is stupid. Why the hell would I run out towards a bad guy shooting at me without a gun? What am I, fucking retarded? I stood there wondering where to go to get a gun until I realized that I had to trigger the stuff.

Anyway, my apathy towards gaming right now doesn't help my poverty, but I'll be waiting on this.

In duke3d the cycloid took a little under 99 devestator shots, in DNF it takes a LOT more.

View PostMr.Flibble, on 22 June 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

I played the demo...people were talking about the weapons feeling powerful?

They where talking about multiplayer... I guarantee if you played MP you would agree.

• I have the power!

View PostReaperMan, on 22 June 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

They where talking about multiplayer... I guarantee if you played MP you would agree.

Buy me a copy of the game and we'll play MP then. :D

User is offline   X-Vector 

So I just played the demo.

I know I haven't kept up with developments in gaming land from a hands-on perspective, but this was simply the most restrictive bit of gameplay I have ever experienced.
From the dull graphics (which aren't completely awful per se, but I don't like the rendering style and most of the art design) to the generic music, to the empty atmosphere - everything felt utterly joyless to me.
I can't see where the people that claim to have fun with the game are coming from, I just can't.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostX-Vector, on 23 June 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

So I just played the demo.

I know I haven't kept up with developments in gaming land from a hands-on perspective, but this was simply the most restrictive bit of gameplay I have ever experienced.
From the dull graphics (which aren't completely awful per se, but I don't like the rendering style and most of the art design) to the generic music, to the empty atmosphere - everything felt utterly joyless to me.
I can't see where the people that claim to have fun with the game are coming from, I just can't.

I basically think of the demo and the actual game as two separate unrelated games, because the demo doesn't do the game justice at all. There's a hell of lot more in the actual game than there is in the demo. Basically in the demo, you play the first level, then skip ahead fifteen or so levels. (Map14B) The demo is crap compared to the game. I'll also say that's just my opinion, no need for me to start any kind of a war here.

User is offline   Kathy 

2 X-Vector: I thought you played the whole game based on your posts at 3drealms forums.

This post has been edited by Helel: 23 June 2011 - 03:41 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The demo had the same major problem the full game had; the mother of all problems: incredibly linear level design. What makes it worse is that it gives the illusion that the game is quite open in some places, but in reality, there's only ever one path you can take. We were extremely lucky if there was even a side room or two.

The reason why the linearity of the levels is the mother of all problems is because not only is it just not fun, and takes away from the replay value, but it's the cause of the regen health! It's simply a matter of if you're on a linear level, and the health system was healthpack based, you'd run into the following situation: You're low on health, and you can't get to the health packs up ahead without going through enemies that would surely kill you in your state. You would then have to go back along the exact same path you came to get a previous health pack (who knows how far), and once you're restored, you have to go along the same path for a third time, which is absolutely definitely not fun. Ergo: the regen system, which stops the pointless backtracking. That's why the next DNF game NEEDS non-linear levels. It NEEDS to be a Duke Nukem 3D 2.0 to get an edge over other games.

View PostHelel, on 23 June 2011 - 03:40 AM, said:

2 X-Vector: I thought you played the whole game based on your posts at 3drealms forums.

No, so far I've only been going from all the footage released and a number of Youtube walkthroughs (demo, first 45 minutes of the full game, Hive, Queen boss fight, end boss fight and other assorted bits).

View PostSpirrwell, on 23 June 2011 - 03:38 AM, said:

I basically think of the demo and the actual game as two separate unrelated games, because the demo doesn't do the game justice at all. There's a hell of lot more in the actual game than there is in the demo.

It's not the levels themselves, it's more the overall feel of the game and the way it funnels you towards the exit while not letting you do the things that you should be able to.

I can't believe that you can't jump into the tub for instance, just like I can't believe you can't use any coloured markers or the eraser on the blackboard (while that EDF soldier keeps repeating his annoying kiss-ass banter ad nauseam).
Even when you turn off tips, you still have to go by the "use" pop-ups that determine which items are to be interacted with, which is far too little.
When not close to such an item in the stadium dressing room, Duke can't use his hands at all.

It's just all so sompletely on rails (literally during the last parts), that I simply can't believe this was once supposed to be the game that would raise the bar for interactivity to an insane level.
If anything, going from the demo and the videos of the full version, it feels like the opposite.

• tile 1018

Well, I'll admit, I'm not a true hardcore Duke fan. I've been waiting for the game for 9 years, but I haven't been waiting every single day like some people. I had low expectations which is why I'm not disappointed by what we got. If we could incorporate Duke Nukem Forever style multiplayer (without the lag and other drawbacks) to Duke3D, I wouldn't care for Duke Nukem Forever anymore. As from a hardcore gamer's point of view, that's probably the only good thing about the game. Since the demo is public it is also possible to legally take models, sounds, and music and make them convert them to work with Duke3D. As for me, I think the game is fine.

• I have the power!

View PostSpirrwell, on 23 June 2011 - 04:53 AM, said:

Since the demo is public it is also possible to legally take models, sounds, and music and make them convert them to work with Duke3D.

No, it wouldn't be. The license agreement (which I don't remember consenting to) that would come with the game as it installs (oh, that's why, it was on Steam) would say you can't (most likely). The terms of use of the IP of GBX/3DR/et al is probably pretty tight. But then again, I haven't read any agreements to verify that. This isn't shareware like the good old days, it is a demo.

• tile 1018

View PostMr.Flibble, on 23 June 2011 - 05:24 AM, said:

No, it wouldn't be. The license agreement (which I don't remember consenting to) that would come with the game as it installs (oh, that's why, it was on Steam) would say you can't (most likely). The terms of use of the IP of GBX/3DR/et al is probably pretty tight. But then again, I haven't read any agreements to verify that. This isn't shareware like the good old days, it is a demo.

Ah, I understand.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostHelel, on 22 June 2011 - 03:10 AM, said:

Yatta was banned for this already.

lol! I was going to say the same thing.

But yeah. I figure bashing GB is acceptable if you do it sensibly and at appropriate times.

User is offline   Kathy 

I think GB was bashed enough already for 2009. I mean he pretty much killed the game and everyone who wanted bashed him for that. And deservedly so. But right now I don't know whether or not he's the only one responsible. Gearbox spent 1,5 years on a finished product yet it still felt unpolished.

View PostYatta, on 23 June 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

I figure bashing GB is acceptable if you do it sensibly and at appropriate times.

Bashing is by definition not sensible, directing hatred and negativity even less so - perhaps the term you're looking for is criticising?

User is offline   Kathy 

Well... maybe. There was hatred but it was justified. We haven't beat him literally you know.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostX-Vector, on 24 June 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

Bashing is by definition not sensible, directing hatred and negativity even less so - perhaps the term you're looking for is criticising?

I have read and watched enough critiques lately to last a life time.
Even eloquently, logically criticizing George now after he is no longer involved in DNF – sorry no dice with me. Randy bought it, it's Randy's now. Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I will never bash a man who tried to do what he thought was best. "When you live your life on your own terms and pursue your own dreams, it is glorious even to fail." - Mike Vallely

I won't bash the guy just because the game took forever. It was his baby, he wasn't happy with it, I can live with that. However, how the game actually pans out is fair game.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options