Duke4.net Forums: Gamespot gives the PC version a score of 3.5 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gamespot gives the PC version a score of 3.5  "If you still hold any stake in their reviews..."

User is offline   ch108 

Gamespot review

I personally loved it, the gunplay, the lines, the satisfying boss fights and the puzzles.

I really can't see why this game is getting such a kicking, they should just fix some glaring issues (which I have seen mentioned here) with a patch or two then were good to go.

View Postch108, on 14 June 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Gamespot review

I personally loved it, the gunplay, the lines, the satisfying boss fights and the puzzles.

I really can't see why this game is getting such a kicking, they should just fix some glaring issues (which I have seen mentioned here) with a patch or two then were good to go.

The review sounds like it was written by someone that deliberately wanted to dislike the game. I've beaten FPSes that are genuinely awful (Daikatana, Alpha Prime), and DNF is nowhere near as bad as they are. Definitely not 3.0 material.

The game definitely deserves more than a 3 but like I've said immediately after IGN gave that shitty rating, now that IGN made the step, every single one of the coward game review sites are going to follow in it's steps and ignorantly give it bad ratings just to make a trend.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It so happens that the guy who did the GameSpot review is gay. In this context his review makes sense, as most women are not likely to enjoy Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTX, on 14 June 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

It so happens that the guy who did the GameSpot review is gay. In this context his review makes sense, as most women are not likely to enjoy Duke Nukem.

Maybe the game didn't have as many mirrors as he would have liked :D

• el fundador

Haha, that could be. It really says something about GameSpot when they let someone who isn't even attracted to women in the first place write and publish a review that mentions over and over how unattractive he thinks the women in the game are. Seriously, are you fucking kidding me? It seems like some of these horrible mainstream review sites are going out of their way to give whoever they have on staff who is least likely to actually enjoy DNF the task of reviewing it, which is unfair at best.

I guess Gearbox refused to pay them for their review and this is what happens.

User is offline   ch108 

View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

I guess Gearbox refused to pay them for their review and this is what happens.

I'm thinking that, personally. Paving the way for Modern Warfare 3 to get a 9.5.

View PostTX, on 14 June 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

I've actually seen women like DNF. It's fun reading a DNF thread on a forum where there's a bunch of self-righteous wannabe feminist guys circlejerking over how the Hive has set back women's rights 10 years and how it'll make nobody take video games seriously because it makes them all look extremely sexist. A woman chimes in and says that DNF isn't offensive to her, but they completely ignore her and go right back to circle-jerking.

• el fundador

Yeah, I've seen a few women that like DNF myself. My wife has seen me playing it a few times so far and there's always been something that cracked her up, even the simple stuff like Duke calling the pinball machine a piece of shit when you lose. :D

Did Gamespot actually said that DNF suffers from bad voice acting?
Did they refer to Duke's voice?

User is offline   randir14 

What a fucking retard, he posts a screenshot from a dark area of The Hive and says "DNF's brilliant lighting system at work". Proof that he wanted to hate the game.

This post has been edited by randir14: 15 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

User is offline   trackit 

As much as i hate that... i must admit that i agree with a lot of his points :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I partly blame Gearbox for overhyping the last game that needed to be overhyped. They advertised it as the funniest, most action packed game of all time, when in reality, it was a serious game besides some of Duke's lines and a few in-jokes here and there, and it was actually a very slow and spaced out game due to the platforming and puzzle solving. These aren't bad things, and the game is still fun, but they definitely focused on the wrong aspects when marketing the thing, they should have made it clear what the game was all about in the first place.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

Haha, that could be. It really says something about GameSpot when they let someone who isn't even attracted to women in the first place write and publish a review that mentions over and over how unattractive he thinks the women in the game are.

The reward for your microwaving skills is to have a stunningly un-sexy woman gyrate without her top on. Like all of Duke Nukem Forever's character models, she moves with the grace of a dump truck; and like all of the game's women, she talks with the dulcet tones of a truck stop waitress.

This is the only bit where the unactractive quality of the women in DNF is mentioned, but don't let that get in the way of judging a reviewer's validity based on his sexual orientation.

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

They made fun of John Saint John :/ fuck them

View Posttrackit, on 15 June 2011 - 12:59 AM, said:

As much as i hate that... i must admit that i agree with a lot of his points :D

Same here. I chuckled when saw that on mainpage, Yatta listed only the 100% positive reviews from various magazines/sites. Classy.

View PostMadmaxwell, on 15 June 2011 - 02:12 AM, said:

They made fun of John Saint John :/ fuck them

Who ever makes fun of John Saint John is not reviewing the game anymore, he is just bashing the game for the sake of putting it down the best way he can.
If this game is truly a piece of shit, then John Saint John is the diamond from the middle of the shit.
When somebody swallows diamonds and takes a nasty dump you can find the Diamonds in the middle of the shit! For diamonds you will dig through shit just to get them and wash them because after washing them they will never smell and they will always shine and be extremely valuable.
Whoever made fun of John Saint John in his review, is lower than a piece of shit, he is just a dried cumstain...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 June 2011 - 02:29 AM

Every cloud has a silver lining. Beiber effect. Bellends like this douche reviewer are only jumping on the slate DNF bandwagon to sound PC cos they're so scared to be un PC. Hopefully people will still check it out and find out its more like PC Gamer's review and that they are infact not just enjoying it, but loving it!

Edit: I didn't think it was worth the wait. Now that they have our cash they should release the 2001-2002 build, editor and all its assets for fan modding purposes. Lets petition them for it!!!!

I watched the 2001 E3 trailer for the umpteenth time and its still the best game ever (the version we got was definetly not the best game of all time). So what if the 2001 build doesn't work on modern computers. People can just run XP. Gearbox have these assets/builds. They will be trying to sell these at somepoint in some sort of DNF museum with only one or two levels playable. I think we've paid/waited enough. We want OUR game, we paid for DNF and 2001-2002 build is DNF. They can keep the other builds and that's a comprimise. Come on lets demand it, after all we've all paid for it!

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 15 June 2011 - 03:24 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

We paid for current build, not the builds before that.

View PostHelel, on 15 June 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

We paid for current build, not the builds before that.

Its still DNF. We neeeed that version!!

User is offline   Cyttorak 

The game isnt the be all and end all of first person shooters like some people expected, but its very far from being a bad game, far from an average game even.
They complain about the game being linear, what did they expect? Grand Theft Auto: Duke Nukem? and as far as the graphics, it shits on pretty much all the call of duty games they recycle each year, noone seems to
rip on them for their graphics.
Its like people who go to see an action movie, and pick out all its flaws and expect it to challenge them intellectually and then give it a bad review because it failed to do so, when they missed the point of the movie entirely.

User is offline   trackit 

All of you who praise so much the 2001 build and say how its the best game ever don't realize that if you really would play the game you would whine and bitch that geezzz this game is not the best game ever at all :D Just let it be :D

Im hoping though that community gets the modding tools for current build. Im sure that people would be able to do amazing things with them. If community wount get the modding tools, then... oh well... we just need to go on with our lives :D

This post has been edited by trackit: 15 June 2011 - 03:41 AM

User is offline   viper3885 

It's sad that there are only a few "unbiased" reviews out there. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. The thing that gets me the most about these reviews is the fact that some of them are complaining about Duke's character and how he acts, etc. Duh idiots it's Duke Nukem that's how he acts, obviously you don't know much about him if your complaining about that in the review... Also they seem to be going in the game expecting a 2011 game, obviously we all know the history behind this games development and it's clearly a 2006-8 game with some 2011 polish thrown in. If you go in realizing this, you'll have a much better experience at least IMO.

This post has been edited by viper3885: 15 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

User is offline   Dogfish 

View PostX-Vector, on 15 June 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

This is the only bit where the unactractive quality of the women in DNF is mentioned, but don't let that get in the way of judging a reviewer's validity based on his sexual orientation.

I guess I don't have enough posts to give you a +1 but I sure wanted to.

On the gamefaqs site. duke nukem forever is now number 1 in top 10 games and top 10 wanted faqs. This is what we have to look at.

View Postch108, on 14 June 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Gamespot review

Unfortunatly as much as I hate to say it, I agree with thier review. The game looks bad, plays almost nothing like what was promised, and is glicthy and buggy as hell :D I do not want to be saying this, but it's true. *eyes well up*

Also guns sound far to weak and many features previewed didn't make it, and animations are TERRIBLE! WHY GOD WHY!??

They shouldn't NEED to patch the game. It had a extra year of work after 3DR fired almost everyone and a LOT of talented help from different companies, PLUS an extra month of work, bugs should be almost non-exsitet but no, the whole game's FULL of them. :D

User is offline   A BOMB 

I don't see what's so offensive? He's right about the pacing being all over the place and the graphics being dated (this game was supposed to have come out 3-4 years ago).

The game seems to be more in-love with showing how awesome and edgy the title character is than being an action game which incidentally has an over the top main character like 3D did.

This post has been edited by A BOMB: 15 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Jon St John did a great job, but he was directed horribly. His lines rarely make sense in the context of what's going on. The delivery by itself is excellent, he just wasn't properly directed to express his lines in the context he should have.

View Posttrackit, on 15 June 2011 - 03:38 AM, said:

All of you who praise so much the 2001 build and say how its the best game ever don't realize that if you really would play the game you would whine and bitch that geezzz this game is not the best game ever at all :D Just let it be :D

No and no! Do you think we would whine? Why would we, the game was/still can be a half life beater. Although i did enjoy DNF, it wasn't really what I'd hoped for all these years ie what we were promised.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 June 2011 - 09:06 AM, said:

Jon St John did a great job, but he was directed horribly. His lines rarely make sense in the context of what's going on. The delivery by itself is excellent, he just wasn't properly directed to express his lines in the context he should have.

I didn't like some of his lines/delivery. He said in a recent interview that he was told when recording DN3D to talk through gritted teeth as if he was having a shit. This was Duke. The original and best Duke. When recording for the new game he was told to put himself into the character, although he is a great guy, John St. John is no Duke Nukem personality wise. I wonder why they wanted to dilute Duke's personality.

I've been biting my tongue about this game since release but I've been brewing up a shit storm about it in my mind. It's Duke, but only just. So much more i want to say about it but now is not the time. Im trading in my copy while I'll still get a good price, then buying it again when its cheap.

BTW I love the MP!

View PostA BOMB, on 15 June 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

I don't see what's so offensive? He's right about the pacing being all over the place and the graphics being dated (this game was supposed to have come out 3-4 years ago).

The game seems to be more in-love with showing how awesome and edgy the title character is than being an action game which incidentally has an over the top main character like 3D did.

The game was supposed to come out April 1st 2010.

Yeah i agree there isnt as much action in it. The game was cut to fuck, gearbox should have finished the levels and took and extra year or so to make it better. Like make it slightly faster, by about 15%, proper gore as George promised and just recently i saw a pre release interview with a guy from Gearbox and he stated there was an area 51 level in the game. Randy stated several times that there would not be anything cut out of the game level wise and released later as DLC. I don't want to slag Randy off or call him names but FFS do you think we forget things about this game Randy? No we fucking don't so you had better go about fixing this game ASAP or the few Duke fans that are left are going to jump ship. Bring back our Duke, your re-envisioned Duke just isn't up to scratch. You should have employed George to tell your guys what to fix and what to leave the fuck alone. For example, George wouldn't have had women writing Duke's lines.

Jace Hall stated in 08 when he played it for an hour or so that it was Duke, well that was before any voice had been recorded. This new Duke doesn't make me laugh much, doesn't wow me with how awesome he is much. In fact... *bites tongue*. Ill let the world know what happened in 09 if you don't fix this. Stop pretending.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 15 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

I think all the reviewers that give DNF below 5 are just assholes.
Everytime i read the "so called" reviews they just piss me off how fucking dumbasses they can be.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options