Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever 2003 and 2006 footage. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever 2003 and 2006 footage.  "unseen stuff leaked out"

User is offline   Alithinos 

A gameplay video from the same build of the game that was shown in the 2001 trailer leaked out.
Graphics are obviously much better,and would rock back in 2003.
This video was unreleased until Gearbox decided to added it as an extra on DNF.

Watch how the game was in 2003:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AnZf-kk4hbU

Comment: I noticed that in that build the game had 3 different meters: EGO,HEALTH,POWER.
Probably EGO had nothing to do with HEALTH and there would still might be healthpacks in that build of the game..

Now watch the 2006 gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vxr408LfL7Y

Comment: This is the first time DNF started loosing its graphics advantage it had until then. Sub-par animations,bad textures and buggy.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 12 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

These extra videos provide an excellent explanation for the absence of in-game footage between the years 2001 and 2007. There's nothing in them that'd have impressed anyone.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 12 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Dogfish 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 June 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

These extra videos provide an excellent explanation for the absence of in-game footage between the years 2001 and 2007. There's nothing in them that'd have impressed anyone.

Unfortunate truth is unfortunately true.

So true.

2003 looks very budget game-like. Still it's the version I'd play in a heartbeat.
2006 is very nextgenish and therefore uniteresting. LOL at glitched animations. Also it looks like lots of assets showed in 2011 release.

I really hope that 2001-2003 version will appear some or other way as an executables.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

TBH I am glad the game doesn't look ANYTHING like in these videos! If anyone still says this game looks cheap, look at that footage and reconsider!

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Imho, the best versions were 2001 and 2003. 2003 looks the same as 2001, but with DooM3 lightnin engine shadows.

Water looked better, and the lightning provide a gritty environment.

By far, 2003 version is the one I like most. Dead Octabrains went ragdoll when killed, instead of becoming stiff and exploding in a lame way as they do in the released version.

The water looked pretty realistic @ 0:54s in the 2003 video:

http://www.youtube.c...Zf-kk4hbU#t=54s

User is offline   randir14 

View PostPsyrgery, on 12 June 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

By far, 2003 version is the one I like most. Dead Octabrains went ragdoll when killed, instead of becoming stiff and exploding in a lame way as they do in the released version.

Yeah I remember some recent preview that said Octabrains had awesome ragdoll physics and you could blow their legs off...so much for that. It also looks like the RPG in 2006 had a higher resolution texture than it does in 2011.

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postrandir14, on 12 June 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

(...)It also looks like the RPG in 2006 had a higher resolution texture than it does in 2011.

The same compared to to Ripper. I started to agree with Mr.Deviance and the others talking about the new ripper model, but actually I think the texture is the biggest problem, not the model itself. I can't understand why they dropped the good old EGO system (working in 2006, as you can see in the videos) and why DNF graphics and some animations turned to be this bad.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 12 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Wahey, first person driving view in the 2006 video ftw!

I paused the video there and promised i wouldn't watch anymore until I complete the game!

User is offline   Xgthug 

At least the gore looked good in the 2006 build.

This post has been edited by Xgthug: 12 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 June 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

Those videos aren't representative of the state of the game through those years. They are a couple of minutes of random footage, with a lot parts being first passes or placeholder assets. I'm not sure where the footage even came from, as these aren't "trailers"... just cut together tidbits. You'd be pretty surprised to see what unfinished portions of a lot of games look like even one year from release. :dukecry:

Trailers as good looking as the officially released ones could have been made every year the game was in production (ignoring tech style preferences).

This post has been edited by Wieder: 12 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostWieder, on 12 June 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

I'm not sure where the footage even came from

That would be interesting to know. We don't even know if the footage was recorded recently (which would indicate that the old builds still exist) or at the time of these particular builds.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The fact that both videos have the same music suggests that Gearbox recently put those clips from old builds together and slapped that music on the top.

Does anyone know where I can find the music to the triptych promotional trailer? towards the end at least, it reminded me vaguely of the 2001 music.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 12 June 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

The fact that both videos have the same music suggests that Gearbox recently put those clips from old builds together and slapped that music on the top.

Does anyone know where I can find the music to the triptych promotional trailer? towards the end at least, it reminded me vaguely of the 2001 music.

Not likely.

User is offline   ashura252 

It's interesting when you look at the 2006 footage and then the 2008 and 2009 footage from the Jace Hall Show..
They share similar assets, but you can see a clear progression from 2006 to now, it might even be the same engine they're working with, just gradually upgraded (as we know they did) and things being gradually replaced..
in 2008, you can see similar locations to that of the final game, but the original weapon wheel and ego system are working too.

User is offline   Malgon 

Had a watch through these earlier now that I've finished the game. They certainly are an interesting look into what the game was like, and it seems that quite a bit did change throughout the years. I wish the night time Vegas scenes were in the final game as I think that would have added to the atmosphere a great deal. While I did enjoy certain scenes in Vegas, without all the bright lights and flashiness a lot of the character is lost, and to me that's what makes the setting iconic and unique Imo. A missed opportunity to be sure.

P.s. Also did anyone else noticed at 0:21 in the 2006 video that the original Octabrain attack sound is in there. Most likely it's a placeholder but still it's pretty cool! :dukecry:

This post has been edited by malgon: 12 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Would have LOVED to play the 2003 build, it looked like the 2001 one, but with Doom 3 lightning and improved models. Looked gorgeous imo.

Did you work in that build Wieder?

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 12 June 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

The water looked pretty realistic @ 0:54s in the 2003 video:

http://www.youtube.c...Zf-kk4hbU#t=54s

I thought it didn't look to bad either, especially considering it was from 2003.

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Once you finish DNF, you get a "EXTRA" menu in the game, a sub-section of which is "MOVIES". Once you go to Extra --> Movie section these 2003 and 2006 footages are there.

Posted Image

User is offline   zwieback 

btw. watch the 2007 christmas teaser to the end :dukecry:

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostAlithinos, on 12 June 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

A gameplay video from the same build of the game that was shown in the 2001 trailer leaked out.

It really isn't the same, because the 2003 version has that awful Doom 3 style lighting system, which makes it 'feel' very different from the 2001 build.
As far as my personal take on graphics goes, this is where the pooch had already been screwed.

what x-vector said.
the game should have been finished without fucking around with the renderer. I mean take the polymer as example. When the hrp project added the new lightning system the whole lightning had to be redone and it still looks terrible in some places.
The 2003 build looks very much like the beginning stages of the polymer project :dukecry: (as in old engine gets new lightning system and suddenly some things begin to look very strange - now with hundred / thousands of assets and a very small team, you may find yourself very fast in development hell)

This post has been edited by zwieback: 13 June 2011 - 04:20 AM

Attached Image: Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 2.39.33 PM.png

this looked good - i can't stand the daytime vegas stuff.

User is offline   Kathy 

2003 interface reminded me of Deus Ex. Shit, would couldn't they keep the health? I doubt anyone would mind it now. If any game could have get away with feeling "old" it was DNF.

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Yes night time Vegas is awesome. Why did they changed it to day time, I don't know.

View Postzwieback, on 13 June 2011 - 03:38 AM, said:

btw. watch the 2007 christmas teaser to the end :dukecry:

Is there an extra scene?

User is offline   Kathy 

There is another oneliner.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostBugsBunny, on 13 June 2011 - 07:11 AM, said:

Yes night time Vegas is awesome. Why did they changed it to day time, I don't know.

I thought it was decided because of FPS reasons... Anyway WHY at the very end when you won't get out (to the Vegas) during the whole game...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I loved all the versions of DNF, and I really wish all the major build eras had been released as different games since the plot and storylines were mostly different. I must say that my favorite build of the game is the 1998 one, say what you will.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options