Duke4.net Forums: Dnf editor has been found and it's broken or has missing files - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dnf editor has been found and it's broken or has missing files

Found this on gearbox forums.
If you enter "editor" not "-editor" in steam's "set launch options" and then you start DNF, it will start in editor mode and show an old ass screen where you can see the 2007 teaser model after which it errors in engine.dll
Here's how it looks if you don't want to try it yourself.
If anybody has any ideas how to fix the editor or maybe add unreal enditor files from a different unreal game that could potentially have a compatible build number then please do!
Looks like Duke's golden pistol model also looked different.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 10 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That Duke model looks so much better/more realistic (except for the hair, but I like that hair).

View PostMicky C, on 10 June 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

That Duke model looks so much better/more realistic (except for the hair, but I like that hair).

His hair could have easily been redone and his model kept in the game.

User is offline   coheed82 

Man, i fuckin' hope that an editor will become usable and fully available to everyone soon as! I make duke3d eduke32 Maps myself, and this would be the best part of DNF if it follows in the footsteps of eduke32 :dukecry:

there's alot that i think people will mod up for us because the game has its flaws, and i for one Expect to be able to drive the Mighty Foot in first person!! That said, yeah theres a deffinite feel of Graphics going Awesome....Ok........Awesome.....Ok..... etc etc.
getting up close to the alien walls you can almost taste the "life" thats in them, the constant moving, and the gross yet gloriousness of it, if they wanted to copy the movie "Aliens" they've suceeded in spades here, of course Aliens* didnt have 3 breasted wall attachments.... LMAO "So wrong, yet so right"!! :D

Now in the vegas ruins for example... Ok i have all the graphics options @ Maximum here all the time, Maybe i need to tone down a little like ive noticed others saying of here @ duke4.net But does anyone else get this issue: When your moving around the ruins, and in the background you see the skyscrapers and the carnage and smoke, as you turn quickly that whole background feels like a Hologram & moves as you move, Shouldn't it stay still?

Posted Image
What i mean is the furthermost building etc in the background of THIS area.. B)

User is offline   ekdikeo 

Actually, you get that screen no matter what you enter as a command line argument, if it's not a valid map file.

It crashes on "editor" because it tries to load "Editor.dll" as a map, which it can't.

Remember, DNF is Unreal Engine 2, which has a seperate editor from it's game exe. It's not UE3.

There's a keybind someone figured out to give you first person view while driving, but frankly, it sucks ass compared to the awesome driving in 3rd person. Drive it like you STOLE IT, don't drive it like gramma.

This post has been edited by ekdikeo: 11 June 2011 - 03:26 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I wonder if I could play around with the SDK of Killing Floor to try load some of this DNF shit.

View PostThe Commander, on 11 June 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I wonder if I could play around with the SDK of Killing Floor to try load some of this DNF shit.

Possible, but not likely. I'm sure over the 6 years or more that 3D Realms spent working with UE2, that they've made significant modifications to the file formats and such.

re: background being hologram like -- that's pretty much how skyboxes work.

User is offline   Gregs2k2 

View PostThe Commander, on 11 June 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

Naw, I thought about doing that also, it just crashes the SDK :dukecry:

User is offline   ferran275 

I started the game up normally just an hour ago and this flashed on screen for a few seconds. I was so dumbfounded I forgot which key was for screenshots :dukecry:

View Postferran275, on 14 June 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

I started the game up normally just an hour ago and this flashed on screen for a few seconds. I was so dumbfounded I forgot which key was for screenshots :dukecry:

Yeah looks like it was a load screen, that was probably later superceded by whatever they are using now, but not replaced.

Holy shit, this is quite cool. Maybe 3d realms really intented to make an editor. But as soon as gearbox took over, they dropped it because they probably cared more about themselves than us.

View PostJhect, on 14 June 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

Holy shit, this is quite cool. Maybe 3d realms really intented to make an editor. But as soon as gearbox took over, they dropped it because they probably cared more about themselves than us.

Intended to make an editor?
Did you actually think before making this post?
How in the fuck do you think this game was made if not with an editor?
There is a fucking editor and in one of the Jace Hall clips you can even fucking see it's exe and a bit of it's interface...
In fact here is the fucking Duke Nukem Forever Editor in action if you don't believe me...

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about what the programmers are using to make the game dumbass.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostJhect, on 14 June 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about what the programmers are using to make the game dumbass.

What they use and what would be released is virtually the same thing, although it may be a little cut down or modified for us. It wouldn't make sense to re-write the entire engine editor or whatever. That would be considered stupid. if you don't know what stupid means. here's the definition:

Stupid:

characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.

View PostJhect, on 14 June 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

Calling me a dumbass doesn't prove anything, while your post sure does prove that you are the dumbass here if you think that customers get editing tools other than what the devs are using.
Every single editing tool ever released for a game was the exact same thing that the developers uses to make the game.
Sure there have been a few exceptions of dev studios that have cut some features from their editors before releasing them, to prevent stealing the source code of the engine or other such issues.
Also, why are you strictly talking about programmers? What do programmers have to do with this?
Programmers are just part of a dev team, they aren't the only people working at on a game.
Do you even know what the fuck you are talking about, or is this simple discussion too advanced for you?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

I read the first line and gave up. Now that you know that i am right, you just try to make up random facts to "prove" that you are right. Keep it coming troll.

Actually, the Doom and Quake editors were not the same tools that the devs used to build them, and I'm thinking that even the Duke 3D tools that eventually came out were not the same things that devs used to build them, either, but I could be wrong about that one. id wrote all their dev tools back in the Doom and Quake days to run in Unix, rather than DOS. It seems funny these days, but back in those days, there were seriously powerhouse workstations and minicomputers that had much better graphical processing abilities than commodity hardware, and they ran Unixes of various sorts. :dukecry:

But, yeah, being an Unreal Engine game, the editor most likely is a significantly modified version of UnrealEd 3 (that which shipped with Unreal Engine 2). Hopefully they will release some tools for it.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm sure the Epic games guys use the Unreal Ed that comes in the UDK for their games.

Also it's not common for "programmers" to make levels. At least in these days.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 14 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 June 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Calling me a dumbass doesn't prove anything, while your post sure does prove that you are the dumbass here if you think that customers get editing tools other than what the devs are using.
Every single editing tool ever released for a game was the exact same thing that the developers uses to make the game.
Sure there have been a few exceptions of dev studios that have cut some features from their editors before releasing them, to prevent stealing the source code of the engine or other such issues.
Also, why are you strictly talking about programmers? What do programmers have to do with this?
Programmers are just part of a dev team, they aren't the only people working at on a game.
Do you even know what the fuck you are talking about, or is this simple discussion too advanced for you?

He made an enthusiastic post, and you immediately started reaming him, implying he's stupid, breaking out the swearing, and making an ass out of yourself.

*edit* I see you have a history of this. http://forums.duke4....dpost__p__94744 You did something similar to me

You, sir, are not a nice person.

This post has been edited by BrentNewland: 14 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postekdikeo, on 14 June 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

Actually, the Doom and Quake editors were not the same tools that the devs used to build them, and I'm thinking that even the Duke 3D tools that eventually came out were not the same things that devs used to build them, either, but I could be wrong about that one. id wrote all their dev tools back in the Doom and Quake days to run in Unix, rather than DOS. It seems funny these days, but back in those days, there were seriously powerhouse workstations and minicomputers that had much better graphical processing abilities than commodity hardware, and they ran Unixes of various sorts. :D

Well it's true that the editors for Wolf3D that existed first were user created, and the same for Doom. id did eventually release their editors for both these programs. Most of the tools that exist for Wolf3D and Doom are user created though.

Duke3D on the other hand has always come with BUILD included in its CD releases. BUILD really was the first official editor to really give users the capacity to create maps and episodes. That is, officially, obviously. Posted Image

View PostDavoX, on 14 June 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'm sure the Epic games guys use the Unreal Ed that comes in the UDK for their games.

Yep yep yep!

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 10 June 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

Found this on gearbox forums.
If you enter "editor" not "-editor" in steam's "set launch options" and then you start DNF, it will start in editor mode and show an old ass screen where you can see the 2007 teaser model after which it errors in engine.dll
Here's how it looks if you don't want to try it yourself.
If anybody has any ideas how to fix the editor or maybe add unreal enditor files from a different unreal game that could potentially have a compatible build number then please do!
Looks like Duke's golden pistol model also looked different.
Posted Image

i found that out too .. in demo , but there are errors about some "is not a valid editor map"

Again, it does that no matter what you give on the command line, if it's not a valid map name.

You run "dukeforever lickme" and it will do the same thing.

User is offline   coheed82 

Hmm, i doubt we could 'guess' what to type in to make it work.
if anything we just have to wait til gbx say something, they surely wudnt go to the effort to hide it in the game, not tell us & expect us to find it by sheer chance now would they. so we just gotta be patient. in the mean time i can always map in eduke32. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options