Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever Release Forum Promotion - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever Release Forum Promotion  "Penguin United teams up with Duke 4 to give away free Eagle Eyes."

Hello Guys,

I work with a company called Penguin United, we are a relatively small company that specializes in gaming accessories. We make and sell the Eagle Eye keyboard and mouse converter for the PS3 which allows users to play console FPS games with a keyboard and mouse, the way FPS's were designed to be played.

Penguin United is happy to announce that in anticipation for the release of Duke Nukem Forever next week, that we will be providing a $10 off promotional coupon for the Eagle Eye at our online store for Duke 4 users interested in playing as the Duke on the PS3 with a keyboard and mouse.

We have also teamed up with Duke 4 to giveaway a free Eagle Eye to a Duke 4 user in a give away contest that will be held by Duke 4 in the weeks to come. In addition, we have also agreed that for every $500 dollars in Eagle Eye purchase's that come from Duke 4, that we will supply an additional Eagle Eye for future contests and giveaways held by Duke 4.

If interested you can check out our product at our official online store:
Eagle Eye Store

$10.00 Off Promotional Code: F012UM33C (0 = zero)

If you would like to see our device in action, here is a link to a review done by an unaffiliated competitive console gamer that shows its capabilities for competitive play as well as a game play video done by the same gamer with the Eagle Eye:
Review

If you guys have any questions or comments about the promotion or our product, feel free to ask.

"Hail to the king, baby!"
Cheers.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

We now have a news item up for this item and for the contest: http://www.duke4.net....php?item.501.7

To enter the contest, post a constructive comment or question in this thread and end with it with the sentence "I'd like to enter the contest." We'll be doing various checks to make sure no one is entering twice, so please refrain from cheating.

Example: "I think this would work well with my PS3. I'd like to enter the contest."
Example 2: "Is this available for purchase in my country X? I'd like to enter the contest."

If you've already posted and didn't do this, you can edit your post.

The deadline for the first contest is June 20.

This post has been edited by Yatta: 07 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

sounds cool, sadly i have an xbox :(

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's pretty sweet. I would love to pwn on the PS3 with a keyboard and mouse. I've seen pictures and have always wanted one of these babies.

I'd like to enter the contest.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

Well I GUESS this is ONE way to allow console players to have better controls. And it's cheaper than buying a PC...but if one has a PC AND PS3 is there a need for this?

Awesome contest though. If I was playing on the PS3 i'd totally enter for this badboy. B) :( :(

UPDATE: You need a PC for this?!?

Nvm PC only needed for control scheme setup:

"PC only required during setup, not required during game play"

And it mainly only works with wired keyboards?

Must use 1 wired USB HID Keyboard and 1 wired USB HID Mouse in conjunction with the Eagle Eye

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 06 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

User is offline   MrN 

Wow! Playing Duke Nukem Forever with this would be EPIC! I'd like to enter the contest.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDN4EVR, on 06 June 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Well I GUESS this is ONE way to allow console players to have better controls. And it's cheaper than buying a PC...but if one has a PC AND PS3 is there a need for this?

Awesome contest though. If I was playing on the PS3 i'd totally enter for this badboy. B) :( :(

Must use 1 wired USB HID Keyboard and 1 wired USB HID Mouse in conjunction with the Eagle Eye

I would guess that stuff like Logitech wireless mice would probably work as long as they used their own dedicated receiver that exposed itself as a regular HID and worked without needing any drivers. I'm sure they're saying it's for wired peripherals only because it probably wouldn't be cost effective to have customer support dealing with people trying to use random Bluetooth mice and whatever else with it.

View PostDN4EVR, on 06 June 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

I think there is a definite need for this if you own a PC and PS3 if you want to play the same PC FPS games on the PS3 at close to the same level. I have the experience of being a hardcore PC gamer, but most of my real life buddies only play console. So in order to not destroy my PS3, when I play with them online I use the Eagle Eye to cross platform. Without it, the transition between keyboard and mouse and controller is unbearable.

Not to mention that most major FPS tournaments are now exclusively or mainly supporting console FPS games. There is more sponsorships, larger communities, and it would seem that competitive PC games will continue to remain in obscurity while console FPS communities continue to grow.

View PostTX, on 07 June 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

I would guess that stuff like Logitech wireless mice would probably work as long as they used their own dedicated receiver that exposed itself as a regular HID and worked without needing any drivers. I'm sure they're saying it's for wired peripherals only because it probably wouldn't be cost effective to have customer support dealing with people trying to use random Bluetooth mice and whatever else with it.

Could not have said it better myself lol. On our compatibility list, on our support page, you can find a couple of wireless mouses and keyboards that function well with the Eagle Eye, but like you said require there own specific dongle's and must be a standard HID mouse without drivers.

User is offline   Sithodah 

So this adapter (unless I'm thinking about another adapter) uses software that you would set up on a PC?
or does it come with pre-set control schemes?
Either way I'd definitely buy one! looks awesome!

User is offline   Jojounin 

Wow.. I was just talking a month ago with some people I know about this gadget, they told me about it, but we were more referring to fighting games, since some of us prefer to play with a keyboard.

My question might be too technical specific.. so I'm not sure if I can get a straight answer:
Let's say you need to hold a button for 2 seconds (like in SF4 - holding 2 buttons for a Focus Attack), will holding it with the keyboard do the job or will it "spam" the same button/s over and over again like a turbo mode? or maybe it's possible to configure between the 2 options?
Thanks in advance.

And I'd really like to enter the contest.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

I still don't get why those with PCs don't just play it on PC. :\

Even if I don't win this competition, I'm still getting an Eagle Eye. I'd like to enter the contest.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 08 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

User is offline   crkfiend 

Thanks Duke4.net and Penguin United! This keyboard and mouse adapter looks and sounds amazing. Please - for the love of my thumbs, save me from using Sony's awful thumbsticks.

Im getting Duke Nukem Forever on PS3 because my PC ins't good enough to handle the epicness of this game, but shooters are best played with a Mouse and Keyboard, and if I could play DNF on my PS3 with a Mouse and Keyboard, then the I can play this epic game the way its meant to be played!

"Always bet on Duke!"

Id like to enter the contest.

User is offline   CaptSpoon 

I just canceled my WoW account & bought a PS3 so this would be awsome. I kill with a keyboard & mouse, these gamepads are foreign to me. Hell I havn't had a console system since the Dreamcast & barely played that. My console experience from present to beginning... PS3, Dreamcast, SNES, NES, Commodor 64, Amiga, Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, Atari 2600. (And 3 of those are considered computers i think). They better not push that release date back again or i might have to bring out my shrink ray & paint some walls.

User is offline   You 

I'm stuck with the PS3 for FPS as I don't have the money for a new PC. This all seems too good to be true though. How can you map the mouse movement into an analog stick format? Surely the mouse must feel odd as hell?

I'd certainly like to enter the contest!

View PostSithodah, on 07 June 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

So this adapter (unless I'm thinking about another adapter) uses software that you would set up on a PC?
or does it come with pre-set control schemes?
Either way I'd definitely buy one! looks awesome!

Correct. You plug in the Eagle Eye into a USB port and then run our keymap software that allows you to customize your key layout, sensitivity and dead zone.

View PostJojounin, on 07 June 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Wow.. I was just talking a month ago with some people I know about this gadget, they told me about it, but we were more referring to fighting games, since some of us prefer to play with a keyboard.

My question might be too technical specific.. so I'm not sure if I can get a straight answer:
Let's say you need to hold a button for 2 seconds (like in SF4 - holding 2 buttons for a Focus Attack), will holding it with the keyboard do the job or will it "spam" the same button/s over and over again like a turbo mode? or maybe it's possible to configure between the 2 options?
Thanks in advance.

And I'd really like to enter the contest.

The Eagle Eye functions like a controller, when you hold down a key, it just acts like your pressing down on the button for however long. If your wish is for the alternative, we have turbo that would allow you to.

View PostDN4EVR, on 07 June 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

I can think of 3 off the top of my head:

1. The cost, PC gaming requires constant rig updates that are costly.
2. a much larger community
3. More tournaments on console

Trends in FPS gaming would suggest that PC FPS gaming will continue to be a small niche community, so developers will also focus more on console. Which they do for the most part now. It used to be they'd focus on a PC version and then port it over to console.

User is offline   You 

View PostYou, on 08 June 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

How can you map the mouse movement into an analog stick format? Surely the mouse must feel odd as hell?

*cough*

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostDN4EVR, on 07 June 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

My reason is, I only got a good pc last week and I ordered Bose months ago on 360, also some of my friends can only get it on 360 as they have no interest in a decent pc, and I do have to play with these guys for old times sake.

But you can bet you ass Im getting it for pc in about a month, so I can enjoy it again the way its supposed to be played, no way Im attempting to draw on that board with a controller again, its just too painful.

Can anyone let me know if the drawing is much easier witha mouse? I hope it is, that alone will give me 20 hours + entertainment.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

View PostYou, on 08 June 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

I'm stuck with the PS3 for FPS as I don't have the money for a new PC. This all seems too good to be true though. How can you map the mouse movement into an analog stick format? Surely the mouse must feel odd as hell?

You are correct, the experience is slightly different from the way a mouse functions on PC. Essentially what the Eagle Eye does is it registers how long you move the mouse as holding the analog stick in that direction for that amount of time. So with this functionality, how long you move your mouse, rather than speed, dictates how much you turn. It does take some adjustment to get used to, but it's really simple to get used to.

Instead of whipping your mouse to the left to do a one 180 turn, you just move your mouse across your pad at the same speed you would make any movement. This difference can be frustrating for those who expect an exact PC experience but most get the hang of it and find the accuracy, precision, and comfort that are inherent in the mouse and keyboard controller scheme outweigh this small difference. But until developers start adding keyboard and mouse options to their console versions, which seems unlikely, this remains the only way to use a Keyboard and mouse on the PS3 for FPS games.

User is offline   You 

View PostPenguin United, on 08 June 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

You are correct, the experience is slightly different from the way a mouse functions on PC. Essentially what the Eagle Eye does is it registers how long you move the mouse as holding the analog stick in that direction for that amount of time. So with this functionality, how long you move your mouse, rather than speed, dictates how much you turn. It does take some adjustment to get used to, but it's really simple to get used to.

Instead of whipping your mouse to the left to do a one 180 turn, you just move your mouse across your pad at the same speed you would make any movement. This difference can be frustrating for those who expect an exact PC experience but most get the hang of it and find the accuracy, precision, and comfort that are inherent in the mouse and keyboard controller scheme outweigh this small difference. But until developers start adding keyboard and mouse options to their console versions, which seems unlikely, this remains the only way to use a Keyboard and mouse on the PS3 for FPS games.

So the analog stick is just moved left and right, full on? The speed of the mouse doesn't actually dictate how far the stick is being pushed left or right? (not dissing the product btw, seems excellent and this competition is a great unobtrusive way to advertise on the forum). I just want to imagine how this feels. Would love to try it, have you any demos in any stores or anything?

View PostYou, on 08 June 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

So the analog stick is just moved left and right, full on? The speed of the mouse doesn't actually dictate how far the stick is being pushed left or right? (not dissing the product btw, seems excellent and this competition is a great unobtrusive way to advertise on the forum). I just want to imagine how this feels. Would love to try it, have you any demos in any stores or anything?

Correct, and I understand the nature of your inquiry and I respect it. I am always for more informed consumers.

We were at E3 last year with a demo booth, but most gaming stores tend to have demo's of console's and popular games rather than small gaming peripherals. I wish there was a way for people to demo it, but I would suggest watching the review. He goes in depth into the calibration system as well as vertical and horizontal movement which should give you some insight. If you watch his mouse movement, he never whips the mouse but instead uses micro movements. The Eagle Eye is like a fine woman, you don't man handle her. You delicately caress her with soft hands for the best results. Analogy +1.

This post has been edited by Penguin United: 08 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   naddie 

This looks interesting! I'd like to enter the contest.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

"This is great for those of us who want to play games with a keyboard and mouse, but can't afford a proper gaming PC" However I'm not one of them, so I would not like to enter the competition. It would be neat if you used my line as advertising though.

Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and of course I'd like to enter the contest.
I hope the Eagle Eye comes with more bubble gum because I'm all out! :dukecry:

View PostPenguin United, on 08 June 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

The Eagle Eye is like a fine woman, you don't man handle her. You delicately caress her with soft hands for the best results. Analogy +1.

This description should be on the box cover, with a nice nude picture of a lady! Epic!

User is offline   Panda 

How long did this take to design and develop? How did the concept occur? Can you explain in more detail how it works, I mean from the inside out? Last question, are there any problems regarding using it on the ps3 like does the ps3 recognize it or is it a plug in and play type of thing? Also, I'd like to Enter the Contest!

Also, I posted this on computer sections of websites I'm popular in as well as facebook too. I have a lot of PSN friends so, I let them know about it too!

This post has been edited by Panda: 12 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

I've always wanted something like this for my console. I play most my games on PS3 and Xbox360 because I just can't get into souping up my laptop enough for modern games to be their best, but I do sometimes miss using the mouse, and I always wish I had a keyboard. Even if I don't win one, I'll still probably get one if my wife will let me, haha!

I'd like the enter the contest.

View PostPanda, on 12 June 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

How long did this take to design and develop? How did the concept occur? Can you explain in more detail how it works, I mean from the inside out? Last question, are there any problems regarding using it on the ps3 like does the ps3 recognize it or is it a plug in and play type of thing? Also, I'd like to Enter the Contest!

Also, I posted this on computer sections of websites I'm popular in as well as facebook too. I have a lot of PSN friends so, I let them know about it too!

Took about a year, the goal was to create the best converter in the $40-$80 dollar range that would function well at an economically affordable price. So we decided to go with a simple yet well thought out design. Essentially the Eagle Eye emulates a PS3 controller, so it registers your keyboard strokes and mouse movements and converts them into controller movements and actions with Cypress USB programming. So obviously this is not an exact PC experience, but as close as you will find on console until developers release games that are keyboard and mouse compatible (don't hold your breath).

Our product definitely has a learning curve and is not a plug in and play product. It requires you to understand a little bit how it works and some time to learn how to calibrate the deadzone.

Deadzone is the amount of movement needed on the analog stick before anything happens on the screen. Since the Eagle Eye registers how long you move your mouse as pressing down on the analog stick, a deadzone must be set because no one moves their mouse exactly in a straight line in any direction. Without any deadzone calibration, moving your mouse horizontally in a straight line would produce jagged movement because of the unintended micro movements up or down. Deadzone calibration is then designed to smooth this out so that the Eagle Eye will not register these small micro movements.

But we have several video and written walk throughs on our support page that are easy to follow and most people get the hang of it after 15-20 minutes of reading and watching. If for whatever reason you get stuck or don't exactly understand something, we have support forums with thousands of users where you can troubleshoot with Penguin Employees and experienced users. Or you can simply contact our customer support, and I can individually walk you through it.

For some, who would prefer a iPad over an android tablet because it's so "user friendly" *Cough* *Cough*, this is not something they would like to deal with. But if you don't care about a little reading and learning, you will have a ton of fun with our product.

This post has been edited by Penguin United: 14 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

User is offline   You 

Please let this end! I can't play multiplayer on the PS3 with a fucking joy pad! Need one of these and don't have the money :D

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options