Duke4.net Forums: My veiw of the demo... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My veiw of the demo...  "some may not like"

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I played the demo... I thought it was alright, but there are so many issues with it, that its hard to like it.

When you destroy big objects like the water tower, trees, or most noticeably the ship that you have to fight it looks like they just disappeared. Some of the textures are so bad that you can help but notice; such as the wing of the crashed ship or the ground texture of the desert level. There are several glitches ranging from bumping into certain walls and flying back several feet to random models floating in the air. There is to much motion blur and an annoying film grain look that you can't adjust. Also the lack of blood when someone explodes is really unsatisfying.

The good is that it has a unique feel from the other duke games. I don't like the 2 weapon limit or the health regeneration, but i'm willing to "roll with it". The levels seem well made from the little I've seen and it gives me that 1998 DNF vibe crossed between half life 2 with some modern game influences. I like the weapons, although the RPG seemed a little weak, which i suspect its because of the noise it makes. The game plays pretty solid, but the xbox version has some major frame-rate issues (yes i already know its a PC game you stupid fanboys).

All in all, i hope its the PAX demo, hell i wish it to be the PAX demo, because if the full game is this unpolished i am going to be very disappointed.

User is offline   bm85 

havent seen things floating the air but +1 to the rest of your post (360)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, it looks old. We already knew this. Stop being disappointed by stuff we already knew. What part of "the game isn't going to have the latest graphics" did you not understand?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

User is offline   Hank 

He has the right to be disappointed. That's what demos are for. Look at the bright side, DNF into Crytech and all weapons ON, will be the first TC. No one can be disappointed then. I know there is another fresh lurking around.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostHank, on 03 June 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

Look at the bright side, DNF into Crytech and all weapons ON, will be the first TC. No one can be disappointed then. I know there is another fresh lurking around.

Do you realize how quickly that would get stomped out by Gearbox?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 June 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

Yes, it looks old. We already knew this. Stop being disappointed by stuff we already knew. What part of "the game isn't going to have the latest graphics" did you not understand?

Yay know I've noticed a on going trend with your reply's to people who are disappointed. Its like you don't want people to point out things that may make the game look bad, now why is that i wonder?

He's the cliched apologist. No matter how disappointing or terrible a game might be, there is always the same group of people who insist on going down with a sinking ship. Next we'll get the typical responses of "then why are you posting here?". To nip that in the bud I'll answer for everybody. Because I am a huge fan of Duke and a consumer and I have every right to complain when a product I love turns out this way. I don't want to encourage further bad behavior from game developers by just accepting whatever they shit into a box and expect me to pay $50 for.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostReaperMan, on 03 June 2011 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yay know I've noticed a on going trend with your reply's to people who are disappointed. Its like you don't want people to point out things that may make the game look bad, now why is that i wonder?

I and others haven't mainly been having issue with those critical of the game for fair reasons, but those basing their views on an UNFIINISHED BUGGY DEMO. And ones who seem overly pessimistic without seeing the full product in action no less.

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

He's the cliched apologist. No matter how disappointing or terrible a game might be, there is always the same group of people who insist on going down with a sinking ship. Next we'll get the typical responses of "then why are you posting here?". To nip that in the bud I'll answer for everybody. Because I am a huge fan of Duke and a consumer and I have every right to complain when a product I love turns out to be shit. I don't want to encourage further bad behavior from game developers by just accepting whatever they shit into a box and expect me to pay $50 for.

No he's not, fact is i think hes just someone who wants to love something some much that he doesn't want to see any of the faults that i may have. He also apparently didn't notice that most of what i was complaining about was sub par animations and physics.

I'm not expecting state of the art graphics, but quite frankly DNF has some sub par graphics at certain points that GBX tried to hide with grain filters and motion blur; they end up making it look worse doing that. What really turns me off is the sub par animations, physics and the so called polishing that they did to fix glitches (unless the demo is the same as the PAX one) . Don't get me wrong, the game isn't "terrible", i'm just voicing my concerns.

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

I and others haven't mainly been having issue with those critical of the game for fair reasons, but those basing their views on an UNFIINISHED BUGGY DEMO. And ones who seem overly pessimistic without seeing the full product in action no less.

When did GBX ever say that it was the PAX demo? Please give me one link to where they said that. Also, how am i overly pessimistic if i state whats good about the demo?

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 03 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostHank, on 03 June 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

He has the right to be disappointed. That's what demos are for. Look at the bright side, DNF into Crytech and all weapons ON, will be the first TC. No one can be disappointed then. I know there is another fresh lurking around.

what you mean by that?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Do you realize how quickly that would get stomped out by Gearbox?

Crytech will go open. Ten years ago, George made it crystal clear 'Not interested in porting Duke to other platforms'. If Gearbox won't release modding tools, it will end up in another. So it will be in their interest to accommodate, unless of course they are married to this Unreal shit. Posted Image

@ duke4everman - I don't understand your question Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostReaperMan, on 03 June 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

No he's not, fact is i think hes just someone who wants to love something some much that he doesn't want to see any of the faults that i may have. He also apparently didn't notice that most of what i was complaining about was sub par animations and physics.

I'm not expecting state of the art graphics, but quite frankly DNF has some sub par graphics at certain points that GBX tried to hide with grain filters and motion blur; they end up making it look worse doing that. What really turns me off is the sub par animations, physics and the so called polishing that they did to fix glitches (unless the demo is the same as the PAX one) . Don't get me wrong, the game isn't "terrible", i'm just voicing my concerns.

When did GBX ever say that it was the PAX demo? Please give me one link to where they said that. Also, how am i overly pessimistic if i state whats good about the demo?

It's the truth, IT IS an old build.
It's definitely older then march.

I saw in one of the videos, months ago, that instead of "checkpoint saved", there will be nuke symbol.
Which proves that this is old, also it is not the PAX demo, because for one thing, the truck drives much much better now and the demo is longer than the PAX demo.

View PostHank, on 03 June 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

Crytech will go open. Ten years ago, George made it crystal clear 'Not interested in porting Duke to other platforms'. If Gearbox won't release modding tools, it will end up in another. So it will be in their interest to accommodate, unless of course they are married to this Unreal shit. Posted Image

First, the game can't be recreated by a mod team (if that's what you were first talking about) because it is illegal. Second, Gearbox paid millions of dollars for the Unreal engine license. They are sort of married to it.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostReaperMan, on 03 June 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

I didn't mean you, and if you think I did i'm sorry...I just meant the naysaying trolls on the board at the moment with no valid criticisms of the game but plenty of bile to spew.

User is offline   Assblaster 

I have not played the demo yet, but if it's really a old demo. Then why the hell would they do that in the first place. Hell we could of got this demo like a month ago if it was the same as pax. No wounder they only gave fac the demo. Some people said it was a few months old. I don't think Ive seen that happen before.

View PostAssblaster, on 03 June 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

I have not played the demo yet, but if it's really a old demo. Then why the hell would they do that in the first place. Hell we could of got this demo like a month ago if it was the same as pax. No wounder they only gave fac the demo. Some people said it was a few months old. I don't think Ive seen that happen before.

Because they couldn't care less about the demo of FAC, they promised us a demo, so we got it.
BUT, Randy also told us to have some suprise about the demo, well, i wonder what that is ?

Maybe the suprise is that it's a bit longer than the PAX demo, or maybe it is the fact that we got the PAX demo.
Well we got some kind of PAX demo, it is a bit improved since the PAX demo, but it is definitely older than march

I don't hate the demo, infact, i love it, played over 6 hours already ( lots of secrets and interesting stuff ).
But i hate Gearbox for promising an different demo than PAX.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 03 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

First, the game can't be recreated by a mod team (if that's what you were first talking about) because it is illegal. Second, Gearbox paid millions of dollars for the Unreal engine license. They are sort of married to it.

Well, if the assessment from the first post is correct, then they should consider a divorce. Reaperman is working with voxels, like you know, questionable graphics, if he says: 'there are issues', I pay attention. I'm not in the club and have no demo to judge for myself.

As for the legality, where did I say we won't ask?

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

View PostHank, on 03 June 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

Well, if the assessment from the first post is correct, then they should consider a divorce. Reaperman is working with voxels, like you know, questionable graphics, if he says: 'there are issues', I pay attention. I'm not in the club and have no demo to judge for myself.

As for the legality, where did I say we won't ask?

Well thank you Hank, but i would like everyone to from an opinion of the demo for themselves aswell before blindly believing what i have to say. It is a shame that you can't play it.

I think i feel the need to explain the graphics in a little more detail then just my brief summary i had, so here it goes. There is a difference between bad and dated graphics. Bad graphics don't necessarily need to look old, they just need to look out of place; kinda like if you played duke 3d with HRP models, but all the textures used for the walls were from the original game. You would probably notice something was off and it would make it a less enjoyable experience. Dated graphics just look old, they don't need to be a higher resolution because they fit the game and they don't ruin the experience.

I think this video shows a good example of what i'm talking about. Listen to what he say when he crosses the bridge or gets to the wing texture after he fights the ship. He notices that the textures seemed odd and was certainly not the only person who did.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 03 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostReaperMan, on 03 June 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

Well thank you Hank, but i would like everyone to from an opinion of the demo for themselves aswell before blindly believing what i have to say. It is a shame that you can't play it.

I think i feel the need to explain the graphics in a little more detail then just my brief summary i had, so here it goes. There is a difference between bad and dated graphics. Bad graphics don't necessarily need to look old, they just need to look out of place; kinda like if you played duke 3d with HRP models, but all the textures used for the walls were from the original game. You would probably notice something was off and it would make it a less enjoyable experience. Dated graphics just look old, they don't need to be a higher resolution because they fit the game and they don't ruin the experience.

I think this video shows a good example of what i'm talking about. Listen to what he say when he crosses the bridge or gets to the wing texture after he fights the ship. He notices that the textures seemed odd and was certainly not the only person who did.

Still you're basing this off an old demo. Try basing it off the finished product.

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 03 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

Still you're basing this off an old demo. Try basing it off the finished product.

Your basing it off a demo as well, i'm sure you said the same thing to people about the videos and pictures. Fact is they release these things so people can judge the game, before they buy it.

Also, i have yet to see any proof that GBX said it was the PAX demo. At this point all i see is speculation that it is the PAX demo, some of it is very promising, but i would prefer the official word from GBX.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just find it illogical and incredibly hypocritical to complain about the graphics being so bad when we already knew they wouldn't be state of the art 2011 quality. I'm calling it out.

I'm not "trying so hard to love something", I went in with no expectations but to receive what the game had to offer and I enjoyed what it gave me. Of course I could go on tangents like anyone else about how it could have been better, but I'm just happy to have it. And more importantly, that was never the point. People have the right to complain, yes, but not about things we were already told about and knew weren't going to change. That's asinine. We've seen the bad animations and low-poly models a hundred times before. We knew what we were getting in that department.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostReaperMan, on 03 June 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Your basing it off a demo as well, i'm sure you said the same thing to people about the videos and pictures. Fact is they release these things so people can judge the game, before they buy it.

Also, i have yet to see any proof that GBX said it was the PAX demo. At this point all i see is speculation that it is the PAX demo, some of it is very promising, but i would prefer the official word from GBX.
I'm not basing it soley on the demo, but on other factors: Liking the franchise, knowing the dmeo is old through others here and thus not a full indicator of the full game, some good parts in the demo, etc.

User is offline   Gambini 

Well. I have been also one of the benefited people who got access to this demo. I just would have wished the DNF name were a legend of the great game we could never had the chance to play. First of all, to each his own. Anybody can build their opinion about this demo and not because that we have to start arguing or fighting.

From a few years back to now, I lost any expectation about this game. I used to love and eagerly wait it back then between 1997 and 2002. But then I lost the faith and began to hate 3d Realms and their incompetence. But when I won the FAC code in a contest, i tried to put aside my prejudices and enjoy the demo. I even turned the lights off and raised the speakers volume, i was finally going to play that so waited game, Duke Nukem Forever. After finishing the demo i just lost all the little expectations that was left on me about this. I hardly can find any good thing to say about. I´m sorry for those who still are fans but selling this game u$45 (well selling this game at all) is a con.

I hope i don´t get banned for expressing my opinion. This forum and its administrator are the best thing that happened to my senseless life. :(

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

I don't get this. Sorry, to be the arse tonight. Imagine you are one of the few club members, and get this. It does not look the greatest. To me it looks like crappy workmanship, not engine.

Thanks Reaperman, I still will get the game though. Posted Image

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostHank, on 03 June 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

I don't get this. Sorry, to be the arse tonight. Imagine you are one of the few club members, and get this. It does not look the greatest. To me it looks like crappy workmanship, not engine.

Thanks Reaperman, I still will get the game though. Posted Image

I got it, and loved what I saw...it had bugs, but it's an old demo. Definately not GBX's best choice or decision but it's not indicative of what the full game will be like.

View PostGambini, on 03 June 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

Well. I have been also one of the benefited people who got access to this demo. I just would have wished the DNF name were a legend of the great game we could never had the chance to play. First of all, to each his own. Anybody can build their opinion about this demo and not because that we have to start arguing or fighting.

From a few years back to now, I lost any expectation about this game. I used to love and eagerly wait it back then between 1997 and 2002. But then I lost the faith and began to hate 3d Realms and their incompetence. But when I won the FAC code in a contest, i tried to put aside my prejudices and enjoy the demo. I even turned the lights off and raised the speakers volume, i was finally going to play that so waited game, Duke Nukem Forever. After finishing the demo i just lost all the little expectations that was left on me about this. I hardly can find any good thing to say about. I´m sorry for those who still are fans but selling this game u$45 (well selling this game at all) is a con.

I hope i don´t get banned for expressing my opinion. This forum and its administrator are the best thing that happened to my senseless life. B)

You're not taking into account the fact that they shilled a shoddy demo on us, and not a polished one. Definitely a bad decision at best, an evil plan to kill off the Duke at worst. :(

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 03 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

User is offline   Xgthug 

Warning: The following post contains honest material. Biased fan-boys beware.

I've been playing Duke since 1993 with DN1 and DN2, and Duke 3D was one of the most fun and interactive games ever created.
My loyalty to the franchise predates a lot of fans who didn't catch on until Duke3D or the subsequent console titles.
Since the very beginning, I have patiently been waiting for the release of DNF. I have lurked the 3DRealms forums since 1999, and followed along with all of the hype and spent hours in the DNF discussions with all of the fellow fans who, like me, never gave up on Duke. (lololol@DNF cult)
When I saw the BOS edition of DNF announced, I immediately placed my pre-order.
Then when I received the (way late) demo release e-mail last night, I squealed with joy and waited patiently for two hours as the game downloaded on Steam.

But... After playing the early access demo last night, I can honestly say this was quite possibly the most disappointing gaming moment of my entire life.

All of the interactivity, depth and fun that made Duke3D so great was nowhere present in this game, and it added nothing special or new to the franchise.
The jokes were stale and embarrassing, and I'm pretty sure nobody thinks that the Olsen twins are relevant or attractive anymore.
Completely unlike Duke3D, where the sexuality and humor felt somewhat tasteful and appropriate, and the women were full figured and not 20 years younger than Duke... (I think that George just used Duke to execute his own perverted fantasies. The real Duke would never go for the Olsen (Holsom) twins)

The game just felt... stupid.

Controls were blocky, game-play was linear, and there was basically no interactivity aside from the static and pre-scripted "Press E to wait for slow-ass Duke to engage in some pre-scripted event that takes way too long and accomplishes nothing".

The movement was so slow and blocky that the first thing I did at the start of the game was lower my graphics settings, because I thought they were up too high and slowing the game down.

In Duke3D, you could shoot ANY random pipe in the wall and it would spew steam... You could explore obscure areas of levels, and get up on sinks, toilets... and basic operations such as drinking from a fountain or flushing a toilet could be done quickly without committing patiently to a slow-paced sequence to start.

The movement and controls were already bad enough as it is, but for the game to lock Duke's movement and even prevent him from looking or moving around for a lot of scenes is unspeakably frustrating.

Did anyone notice how you couldn't even climb up on the fucking sinks? I expect that linear "blocking-off the player" crap from other modern games, but I expected way more from Duke.

I DEMAND SINK-CLIMBING ABILITIES!

Now the graphics were up to date... In fact, the visuals were rather gorgeous, and I was able to run the demo on optimum graphics settings. But the game was missing two critical elements that completely ruined it for me, as well as everything Duke used to stand for.
Interactivity, and fun.

This was supposed to be a renaissance of classic game play. Duke was supposed to bring back shooters... But nope. This game is as bad as the rest of those shitty modern shooters. Perhaps worse.
I'm sure this game will appeal to all of the 13 year old Xbox fans everywhere, who are probably the game's target audience, as opposed to the true and loyal fans who have been jerked around by 3DRealms all these years.
Now Critical Mass was expected to suck... But not DNF. I waited to long for this shit.

Consequently, I have completely lost all faith in the game industry. This was my last hope for the future of gaming.
I have cancelled my $90 pre-order from Amazon, and I hope to get my money back without any problems.

In conclusion, I would like to clarify that I do not blame Gearbox for this.
And as far as I'm concerned, the final nail has been driven into the coffin of our hero.
R.I.P. Apogee. R.I.P. Duke Nukem.
Gaming is dead for me.

This post has been edited by Xgthug: 03 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostXgthug, on 03 June 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

And as far as I'm concerned, the final nail has been driven into the coffin of our hero.
Gaming is dead for me.
Talk about overly dramatic...and way, way off. Also is basing your purchase choice permanently(and not buying later with new info on the game if good) on a poor demo the best decision?

User is offline   Assblaster 

I've been playing Duke since 1993 with DN1 and DN2, and Duke 3D was one of the most fun and interactive games ever created.
My loyalty to the franchise predates a lot of fans who didn't catch on until Duke3D or the subsequent console titles.
Since the very beginning, I have patiently been waiting for the release of DNF. I have lurked the 3DRealms forums since 1999, and followed along with all of the hype and spent hours in the DNF discussions with all of the fellow fans who, like me, never gave up on Duke. (lololol@DNF cult)
When I saw the BOS edition of DNF announced, I immediately placed my pre-order.
Then when I received the (way late) demo release e-mail last night, I squealed with joy and waited patiently for two hours as the game downloaded on Steam.

But... After playing the early access demo last night, I can honestly say this was quite possibly the most disappointing gaming moment of my entire life.

All of the interactivity, depth and fun that made Duke3D so great was nowhere present in this game, and it added nothing special or new to the franchise.
The jokes were stale and embarrassing, and I'm pretty sure nobody thinks that the Olsen twins are relevant or attractive anymore.
Completely unlike Duke3D, where the sexuality and humor felt somewhat tasteful and appropriate, and the women were full figured and not 20 years younger than Duke... (I think that George just used Duke to execute his own perverted fantasies. The real Duke would never go for the Olsen (Holsom) twins)

The game just felt... stupid.

Controls were blocky, game-play was linear, and there was basically no interactivity aside from the static and pre-scripted "Press E to wait for slow-ass Duke to engage in some pre-scripted event that takes way too long and accomplishes nothing".

In Duke3D, you could shoot ANY random pipe in the wall and it would spew steam... You could explore obscure areas of levels, and get up on sinks, toilets... and basic operations such as drinking from a fountain or flushing a toilet could be done quickly without committing patiently to a slow-paced sequence to start.

The movement and controls were already bad enough as it is, but for the game to lock Duke's movement and even prevent him from looking or moving around for a lot of scenes is unspeakably frustrating.

Did anyone notice how you couldn't even climb up on the fucking sinks? I expect that linear "blocking-off the player" crap from other modern games, but I expected way more from Duke.

I DEMAND SINK-CLIMBING ABILITIES!

Now the graphics were up to date... I was able to run the demo on optimum graphics settings. But the game was missing two critical elements that completely ruined it for me, as well as everything Duke used to stand for.
Interactivity, and fun.

This was supposed to be a renaissance of classic game play. Duke was supposed to bring back shooters... But nope. This game is as bad as the rest of those shitty modern shooters. Perhaps worse.
I'm sure this game will appeal to all of the 13 year old Xbox fans everywhere, who are probably the game's target audience, as opposed to the true and loyal fans who have been jerked around by 3DRealms all these years.
Now Critical Mass was expected to suck... But not DNF. I waited to long for this shit.

Consequently, I have completely lost all faith in the game industry. This was my last hope for the future of gaming, and now
I have cancelled my $90 pre-order from Amazon, and I hope to get my money back without any problems.

Gaming is dead for me.

You must of hype the shit out of this game.

• The Sarien Encounter

This was supposed to be...

I think I see the issue.

I doubt it. They won't be (and aren't) able to accept the dated looking graphics.

Sorry to see you go. Happy trails.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

I've been playing Duke since 1993...

I sadly have to agree with most of your statements, except for one: graphics are not up to date, not at all.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options