Duke4.net Forums: My veiw of the demo... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My veiw of the demo...  "some may not like"

User is offline   randir14 

The graphics are fine to me, obviously not amazing...the only problem is the fucking horrible ugly DoF! They need to let us tweak specific settings, not just "post processing effects" which gets rid of the DoF, but also gets rid of some nice things.

User is offline   Acid 

I say wait for the game before you bitch and moan about it.. its a demo, yeah it not perfect but still fun, maybe not as fun as the duke 3d demo was way back when it was released, damn that was good.

User is offline   Gambini 

You make a point there. The Duke Nukem 3d shareware version had the best of the game. Well, following that pattern this demo is going to be the best side of the game, can´t think of the worst then :(

edit: i wish i could vote up my own posts. this one was worth!

This post has been edited by Gambini: 04 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostAcid, on 04 June 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

I say wait for the game before you bitch and moan about it.. its a demo, yeah it not perfect but still fun, maybe not as fun as the duke 3d demo was way back when it was released, damn that was good.

And then what? When the game comes out and the negativity continues, instead of the above, people will be saying, "Well if you didn't like the demo, why did you buy the game then? Go back to your Half-Life and CoD and leave the game to us true Duke fans." Is it really hard for people on this forum to agree to disagree? Let's put aside our own preconceptions and biases for a moment (and this game has a LOT of them, being in development for such a long time) and try to examine this from an objective standpoint. A demo can be, and should be, a fairly good reflection of what the full game has to offer. The fact that the demo was a March build does not seem to make much of a difference to me, since it was only a few months until it was to be released in any case.

From what I have heard so far, there seems to be a bit of a struggle within the development process between making the game a traditional FPS, and making it completely modernized. That could have something to do with the Gearbox acquisition. Yes, I do intend to buy this game, knowing full well that it it's a reboot (something similar to this happened with Tomb Raider: Legend, which was terrible). That said, I reserve my right to judge this game not by its incredible starpower, but by the game itself.

User is offline   Acid 

Well if the game comes out and its not all it's cracked up to be,( meaning not that good) then you can complain all you like, and if you dont want to buy the game cause of the demo then wait and see what other people say about it, then decide for yourself.

This post has been edited by Acid: 05 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

Why we are all supposed to pardon this demo and not judge the game by it? Weren´t demos meant to test if you like the game you´re about to buy?

When the game comes out. Are you going to say we should wait for a dozen of patches to fix the problems before complaining?

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostGambini, on 05 June 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

Why we are all supposed to pardon this demo and not judge the game by it? Weren´t demos meant to test if you like the game you´re about to buy?

When the game comes out. Are you going to say we should wait for a dozen of patches to fix the problems before complaining?

Yep, its a flawed argument. The point of a demo is to be a demonstration of what you're buying. Posted Image

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

That's called thinking logically. It's not allowed on video game forums.

User is offline   Acid 

View PostGambini, on 05 June 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

Why we are all supposed to pardon this demo and not judge the game by it?

Yeh, you dont know what the full game's like? so i dont think its fair to say its going to be shit based on a "little" demo.

User is offline   coheed82 

I think the demo is fuck'n great personally. :(
but sheesh, ever since they gave us the demo its safe to say iv'e read @ least 30+ different opinions over @ gbx forums & some here that really put this game down. 3DRealms forever have a place in my heart thanks to duke nukem 3d. And gearbox will too after the release of the full version of dnf. just enjoy the demo, and then after full release then complain if there's need be... did the demo start out stating (this is a demonstration, in no way is this to be seen as the final product so hail to the king baby).. No. I remember playstation 1 demos stating the obvious.. So lets @ least assume that this demo isnt the final cut. I think though that after all these years our expectations will never be truly met, yet the game will blow our minds and be a worthy start to run up another duke title in the future that's totally Gearbox made. Think of it this way, If your so intent on shitting on dnf then your really just shitting on 3DRealms and their legacy. B)

All the guys have been doing their best for us, for duke. You think spending millions of dollars that they'd want to stuff this up?
hell no! think of all the extra hours gearbox staff have put into this game, weather it be Programming, Moddeling, Scripting, Dialog, Level design.. they've made me proud with what ive seen so far.. So ok we shoud've by all rights been playing dnf already since say 2004, but you think that Duke Burger for one thing would look as polished if it was done by then? no.

Im glad that we see the iconic return of the Battlelord, Cycloid, Pigcop, Trooper, Commander, Octobrain, Enforcer etc... the reason that DNF is so hard to swallow for some of us is that our childhood/early teen years spent on duke3d and then weve aged What? 16years.. we've changed with the times, and so Duke must change too... Best qouted by Snake, at the end of MGS2 "Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing".. :(

this game has everything a duke fan will appreciate & it also must grab the attention of newcomers who didnt have the privelige of following duke through all his existence... So show some respect for what it's worth Gearbox you guys have changed my life for the better, nuff said*. :D

This post has been edited by coheed82: 05 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You must see it pragmatically:

This way, they have made sure the game runs on most of the rigs people currently are using out there. Similar to what Blizzard does with their games actually, using rather average visuals, but focussing on gameplay and contents. I wonder how many people would complain if the game was utilizing a heavily modded Crysis engine, offering max details and looking bad-ass, but excluding the majority of the community from running it properly. And it some way, it even fits... the game is supposed to play retro, so it also looks like it. Sounds logical somewhat. B)

It is as it is, the game ain't a beauty, not in the demo and more or less for sure also not in the full version. So what? Either you cannot accept it, then you should cancel your pre-order (or not order it in the first place), or you do it like me and say: Couldn't care less, give me the damned game already. :(

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options