Duke4.net Forums: My take on the DNF demo. - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My take on the DNF demo.

User is offline   kh0rn3 

I think waiting all of these years with such excitement and imagining what Duke Forever could have been like was a lot more fun than this demo.

Edit: watching people fighting on the internet about a game while being drunk is more entertaining than this demo.

This post has been edited by kh0rn3: 03 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

View Postkh0rn3, on 03 June 2011 - 07:35 PM, said:

I think waiting all of these years with such excitement and imagining what Duke Forever could have been like was a lot more fun than this demo.

Edit: watching people fighting on the internet about a game while being drunk is more entertaining than this demo.

Even if the full game happens to be the best game of all time (which is highly unlikely to be the case) it would still not be better than all those years of waiting and talking shit on forums.
15 years of speculations and crazy talk can only be rivaled with a 10000000000000 hour game that also happens to have the best gameplay, story and graphics of all time.

Unless this was the best game of all time, disappointment was bound to happen.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 June 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Even if the full game happens to be the best game of all time (which is highly unlikely to be the case) it would still not be better than all those years of waiting and talking shit on forums.
15 years of speculations and crazy talk can only be rivaled with a 10000000000000 hour game that also happens to have the best gameplay, story and graphics of all time.

Actually, I'm just going to be happy with a finished, playable Duke Nukem Forever at this point. After 15 years, I just want to play it.

View PostMysteryMeat, on 03 June 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

Actually, I'm just going to be happy with a finished, playable Duke Nukem Forever at this point. After 15 years, I just want to play it.

You know, whenever I feel that DNF might suck bad when it comes out, I always tell myself that Randy Pitchford does not look like a dumbass or like a suicidal mother fucker that would be so fucking dumb as to buy a game that has no chances of selling even as much as he paid for it.
The reason why I like to believe that DNF won't be a disaster, is because I trust that Randy knows how to not suicide himself from a business perspective.
If you asked me, I would say DNF is the perfect business suicide weapon but Randy doesn't seem crazy which leads me to believe that he knows something about DNF that we don't!
He has seen the entire game and he believes that he can make money out of it, which still gives me hope for the game.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Re-iteration: Has anyone played the demo on PS3?

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

Many, even newer gamers, will find the change from awesome graphics and crap story/short gameplay a fresh breath of air I think. And the bugs in the polished demo are mostly gone AFAIK.

That assumes that 'newer gamers' only play games with awesome graphics and shit storylines, with very short campaigns. Generalization? Of course you're aiming at the COD crowd, but that's a pretty transparent cheap shot on your part. The test will be if anybody is playing DNF multiplayer in a months time, when Black Ops will still be topping the activity charts on XBL and such. Those games are made for multiplayer, really. The single-player is more of a bonus. With DNF it's the other way around. Gargantuan single-player content, *comparatively meagre multiplayer component that was apparently only implemented in the very latter part of development, outsourced to Piranha Games (makers of such hits as Bass Pro Shops: The Strike and Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza).

*Based on Piranha Games' previous resume as makers of shit PC games and mediocre portable titles. They could have done an amazing job with DNF multiplayer, I just doubt it. We'll find out for sure next Friday.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 June 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

I can't fucking believe there are some people on this forum that are so eager to hate DNF, that they managed to criticize DNF of missing features that were supposedly in duke 3d even though they never existed in duke 3d.A good example is how somebody said that Duke had multiple jump sounds and in DNF you just have one, even though Duke 3d didn't even have fucking jump sounds...Go replay Duke 3D FOR FUCKS SAKE, and stop asking from DNF things that never existed in DN3D.

Up until a short time ago, you were falling over yourself to pick faults with DNF over absolute minutiae. The colour of his gloves. The way pig cop eyes do not seem to glow red. The way stuff glows in order to guide players. The way in which Duke kicks doors down (not 'dynamic' enough for you, apparently too much like a canned animation). Duke's slightly smoother image. Etc etc. You can't really be seen to be calling anybody else out as any kind of pedant, even if they are just wrong. You've done it yourself. Many, many times.

Am I aong the minorities that fuckin loved the demo...despite it being an older build? Seriously, I haven't been this hyped about a game since, ummm, I can't even remember when. The only flaw I have with it are when those damn pig cops jump on you. WAAAAY too much damage.

View Postthelegend4ever, on 04 June 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Am I aong the minorities that fuckin loved the demo...despite it being an older build? Seriously, I haven't been this hyped about a game since, ummm, I can't even remember when. The only flaw I have with it are when those damn pig cops jump on you. WAAAAY too much damage.

Yes you are one of the minorities ( including me )
If i would say the demo sucked hard after 8 hours of gaming on a demo, i would lie to myself.

User is offline   Engel220 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 04 June 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

I loved it too. I'm not a very picky person, so playing a demo with little gore and a few graphical hitches didn't put my nose out of joint and I really enjoyed the experience. If the full version has all the right improvements then we'll be sitting pretty, but even if it doesn't you won't be getting rants from me.

I think the gore level will be the same in the retail next week, simply because it was already reduced in the last couple of videos.

View Postthemaniacboy, on 04 June 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Yes you are one of the minorities ( including me )
If i would say the demo sucked hard after 8 hours of gaming on a demo, i would lie to myself.

Exactly! I keep finding myself going back to the demo more than I find myself playing Marvel Vs Capcom 3. The demo was way too fuckin epic and lived up to the hype for me after all these years. And this is coming from one of the pickiest people out there. Can only imagine how brilliant the final game will be. I'll be lucky enough to play it on the 11th at the Badass Party in Dallas. I could tell you guys how the multiplayer and other stuff turn out.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 04 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Weren't you supposed to be able to control the aim and direction of Duke's....er.....stream in the beginning of the demo?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 June 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

Weren't you supposed to be able to control the aim and direction of Duke's....er.....stream in the beginning of the demo?

You can if you move your mouse around when the demo begins or when you use a toilet.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

No, that just makes me look around.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Fuck DNF. It's gonna be so much more fun watching these forums implode when people get their hands on the full game.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 04 June 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

Fuck DNF. It's gonna be so much more fun watching these forums implode when people get their hands on the full game.

Fuck DNF...no actuall you're wrong....DNF will fuck YOU.....in soviet russia etc...

can you clareify that, im not too sure what you meant by that

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

These forums won't be imploding any time soon. :( The box we host them on is shared only with the free hosted sites we provide and frankly the machine is WAY overspecced for what we do with it. It's a quad core Xeon with HT and 8 gigs of RAM that does pretty much nothing but serve websites on a 1000 mbit unmetered connection. No implosion, guaranteed!

User is offline   kpl 

It's been interesting reading all the different reactions on various Web sites about the demo.
I'm already seeing a pattern here. Most people that never played Duke3D think it's pretty crap.
People that have fond memories from playing Duke single player back in the day seem to love it.
I have mixed feeling about the demo myself. I'm one of the few people that have always loved
Duke3D for the multiplayer action, and I still play it online almost daily. For shear fast paced
twitch reflex skill based DM it still my favorite, and I've played almost every FPS that has ever been made.
I actually thought the demo was pretty fun. But judging from the movement and the weapons in the single
player, I'm pretty worried the multiplayer isn't gonna last very long. People will probably play it for a month
or so and get bored pretty fast. My only hope is that they release the mod tools quickly so that somebody-maybe even myself
can add a classic Dukematch style mode to it. That's the only way there will still be people playing it online
15 years from now like there are still people playing the original.

The weapons and items in Duke3D make it well balanced in DM.
The way you can only sprint for limited amounts of time is gonna kill death match.
When you get shrunk you can't use the roids to grow and escape.. Lame!
The freeze gun doesn't bounce around corners to root out campers anymore.. Lame!
The railgun is so overpowered there wont be much reason to use any other weapon.
2 weapon limit and regen health system? really???

The people making the mutiplayer part of this game should have been forced to play Duke3D DM for a couple
weeks before they even started working on DNF! then they might have realized not to mess with perfection.

Hopefully somebody behind the scenes is smart enough to really push for the mod tools to be released, and quickly!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options