• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My take on the DNF demo.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

ert area are 2d!!!!! They are sprites that move around as you move lacking the dimension of depth. Like Wolfenstein 3d.

9) Sound is lacking.
They needed more MORE recordings. In DUKE3D Duke had 5 different 'jump' sounds playing randomly when you jump. The demo had only 1.
We went from 5 to 1. Oh,and the npcs say the same lines of dialogue again,and AGAIN... It's like "get out of here stalker" all over again.

Uh... No. Actually. In Duke3D Duke made no sounds when you jumped. He only made sounds when you landed(foot hit the ground), or fell from a great distance(Scream/and a pain sound.)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 June 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

Uh... No. Actually. In Duke3D Duke made no sounds when you jumped. He only made sounds when you landed(foot hit the ground), or fell from a great distance(Scream/and a pain sound.)

Pwned.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 03 June 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

If Duke Nukem Forever feels like a game from 2007, is that so bad?

Mostly not an issue for the people who populate Duke4.net's forums. For every other gamer on the planet - yes. People don't want to pay full-price for something that looks bargain bin. I played the leaked demo and that had bugs. Have not played the real demo, so I can't judge all that well. Anyone have the demo for PS3? How does it run? The leaked one I played on 360 ran OK apart from the bugs.

I love people that base their opinions on DNF by comparing it to how they think DN3D played, but they haven't actually played DN3D in 10+ years.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 03 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Alithinos 

That's an exaggeration. But if it really bugs you that much then I'll give it to you.

Why you say it's exaggeration ? Duke wouldn't get in the jacuzzi,honestly. B)

Firstly, this isn't Duke3D. It's about time people got this through their heads. Secondly, I thought Duke jumped WAY too high in Duke3D.

Yup,it isn't,but I expected something more dukish. :(

I never saw anything glow. I believe that's a function of in-game hints that you can TURN OFF in the game options.

I played with default settings. If it was a default setting then maybe you are right.

I

n the full game.

Are you sure ? Did somebody offical said they removed secret areas from the demo ?

I don't know, maybe it's your video card. On my machine the textures looked great. modern, even. In fact the only part of the game I thought looked at all dated would be the models and their polygon count but even that most of the time still looked spectacular. You're nitpicking. Just enjoy the experience and stop trying to find everything wrong with it.

No it's not my video card. I had all settings on ULTRA and had more than 60 fps.
I wish I could enjoy the experience,but all these are making it hard for me 'cause they break my game.

Maybe they cut some sounds out for the demo? Again, complain about this when the full game comes out.

That's true. it's a DEMO. A DEMOnstrational product made to show off the best aspects of the game in order to convince us to buy it. Why would they make their game look worse in purpose ?

This is a DEMO. And there's plenty of interaction in the first area. If you use DNCLIP, you can even go down to Duke's Penthouse and play with all the lightswitches and the pool table. Of course, you weren't meant to do that, but if you want more interactivity there it is.

Yeah the first area if full of that. In Prey's first area there where also many interactive things. The bad thing is that for the rest of Prey interactivity was almost absent. And I have a fear that DNF will also be like that since the desert level didn't had that much.

11) This statement is based on nothing. It felt positively retro-with-a-facelift to me. Like Half-Life 2. Exactly what I was expecting and exactly what I got. With Duke.

that was just my opinion.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMartin, on 03 June 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Mostly not an issue for the people who populate Duke4.net's forums. For every other gamer on the planet - yes. People don't want to pay full-price for something that looks bargain bin. I played the leaked demo and that had bugs. Have not played the real demo, so I can't judge all that well. Anyone have the demo for PS3? How does it run? The leaked one I played on 360 ran OK apart from the bugs.

Many, even newer gamers, will find the change from awesome graphics and crap story/short gameplay a fresh breath of air I think. And the bugs in the polished demo are mostly gone AFAIK.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 June 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

Yeah you're right.
But he made sounds when you where pushing the iteraction button wherever there wasn't something to interact with. Oh,and the npcs do say again and again the same things. My point was that they had to record more before finishing it.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 03 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

Why you say it's exaggeration ? Duke wouldn't get in the jacuzzi,honestly. :(

I meant that there are more invisible walls in games since Goldeneye than you're admitting to yourself.

And of course there are secrets in the game. Take a look at the released achievements list. There's one for finding a secret area. But there could be even more than that.

Basically, this isn't an arcade shooter. It's a little more real than that. There's no score at the end, no bonus points for finding secret areas, no bonus anything, really. Everything is just an action-packed adventure and a wild ride. Just have fun with it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 June 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

I meant that there are more invisible walls in games since Goldeneye than you're admitting to yourself.

At least if there are,they are not that obvious.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

1. Why you say it's exaggeration ? Duke wouldn't get in the jacuzzi,honestly. :(

2. Yup,it isn't,but I expected something more dukish. B)

3. No it's not my video card. I had all settings on ULTRA and had more than 60 fps.
I wish I could enjoy the experience,but all these are making it hard for me 'cause they break my game.

4. That's true. it's a DEMO. A DEMOnstrational product made to show off the best aspects of the game in order to convince us to buy it. Why would they make their game look worse in purpose ?

5. Yeah the first area if full of that. In Prey's first area there where also many interactive things. The bad thing is that for the rest of Prey interactivity was almost absent. And I have a fear that DNF will also be like that since the desert level didn't had that much.

1. Maybe this was fixed for the full game. :(

2. Still, it's more realistic and challenging, and as I said you have jetpack and roids to run faster and go higher if need be.

3. If they made new graphics it'd take FOREVER(pun intended a bit) to remake everything.....also if you're a duke fan graphics should be the least of your concerns.

4. Since the FAC demo is for those who preordered already they know they have our money locked in in most of those cases so they don't care perhaps if it looks perfect, or maybe they think duke fans can overlook the problems and know the full game will be much better.

5. Duke Nukem find your lack of faith in his manly & very macho Dukeness DISTURBING.

• The Sarien Encounter

I never saw the jacuzzi restrictions as invisible walls, but rather something too high for Duke to be able to (or care to) jump/climb into. There's plenty to do. Are you going to complain that you can't chip the tiles off the floor too?

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

Yeah you're right.
But he made sounds when you where pushing the iteraction button wherever there wasn't something to interact with. Oh,and the npcs do say again and again the same things. My point was that they had to record more before finishing it.
They probably did.....check out the full game reviews to be sure when it drops.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 June 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

I never saw the jacuzzi restrictions as invisible walls, but rather something too high for Duke to be able to (or care to) jump/climb into. There's plenty to do. Are you going to complain that you can't chip the tiles off the floor too?

And retile the damn thing with venitian tile as well. B)

:( :D :(

5. Duke Nukem find your lack of faith in his manly & very macho Dukeness DISTURBING.

Believe it or not,after I played the demo I made an angry comment about the game on Facebook.
Guess what ? My PSU died minutes after that.... :(
Duke made me pay for speaking bad for him. He made me pay 65 euros to buy a new psu. B) :( :D

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

Believe it or not,after I played the demo I made an angry comment about the game on Facebook.
Guess what ? My PSU died minutes after that.... :(
Duke made me pay for speaking bad for him. He made me pay 65 euros to buy a new psu. B) :( :D

:D

I can't fucking believe there are some people on this forum that are so eager to hate DNF, that they managed to criticize DNF of missing features that were supposedly in duke 3d even though they never existed in duke 3d.
A good example is how somebody said that Duke had multiple jump sounds and in DNF you just have one, even though Duke 3d didn't even have fucking jump sounds...
Go replay Duke 3D FOR FUCKS SAKE, and stop asking from DNF things that never existed in DN3D.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 June 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

I can't fucking believe there are some people on this forum that are so eager to hate DNF, that they managed to criticize DNF of missing features that were supposedly in duke 3d even though they never existed in duke 3d.
A good example is how somebody said that Duke had multiple jump sounds and in DNF you just have one, even though Duke 3d didn't even have fucking jump sounds...
Go replay Duke 3D FOR FUCKS SAKE, and stop asking from DNF things that never existed in DN3D.

Hate ? I don't hate it.
I just said that it didn't lived up to the hype.
Being in the making 12 years because they said they wanted to make the best FPS of all time,and it doesn't even meet some standards its predecessor or other games had.
Listen,I'm a Duke fan since 1998,but the fact that I like the franchise,and loved its games doesn't make me a lier.
The demo dissapointed me,and I said just that.
The jump sound wasn't my point but an example that I thought would get you understand my point.
My point regarding sound was that it would be better if they had recorded more so we don't end up listening the exact same lines of dialogue over and over.

What I expected ?
A game that will play like DUKE3D but with new levels,more of everything,and better graphics.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 03 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

1)The railgun is powerful, but the demo had a plethora of them all around. I doubt the final game is that generous and probably not as many as the final game. This more about seeing how the gun works and there are plenty more guns to choose from. You notice we even had a plethora of shotguns, pistols, pipebombs, and rippers around. Hell I even saw like three RPGs in one area which is not going to be anything like that in the final game.

2) I don't know what bad collision you speak of and the whole Jacuzzi thing doesn't bother me that much. Big deal. Its only the first 5 mins. of the game.

3) I don;t see him being slower so much that the worlds are bigger. He actually moves more normal rather than a hobo on crack like he did in Duke 3D. Like others have said, this is NOT Duke 3D so don't expect it to be like Duke 3D. I don;t see the sluggishness you speak of and I think the movement is fine. Not too slow, but not so fast it is as sensitive like a butterflies wing where if I even just tap forward, Duke flies off like he has a rocket strapped to his boots. He actually feels like he has weight to him.

4) I sort of had this problem except the weapons really just show up behind me or directly below me instead of in front. Not too much of a bother. Most FPSs do this, especially when you are up against a wall. There are like three RPGs on the level I found.

5)IT'S A DEMO. You could never save progress in a demo.

6) Maybe, but in Duke 3d I got lost a few times because I didn't know what to do or where to go and it got frustrating to the point I had to stop playing for a while. It's just enough to show where you need to go or need to do and it's not holding your hand either because it's not as simple and everything doesn't just light up like fireworks. Could be worse, you could have a HUGE nav marker on your screen and other NPCs constantly yelling at you for not doing what they want you to do like some other games I know.

If it was holding your hand, you would see things like "Mission: Push the Minecart. Complete." "Mission: Get in Minecart and pull handle." Fallout has this problem. Very few times where you had to figure it out without the game telling you what to do.

7) Again, it's ONLY a demo.

8) Once again, you point the very thing EVERYBODY knew so long ago. Can't you complain about anything else for once besides graphics? This is basically all I hear from any gamers. "The graphics suck or not good enough." Then don't play. Stop whining and don't play. I say to them. This game has been through hell and back and just be lucky to get anything as good as it is. There will be more duke games in the future and chances are they will have Next gen graphics because they won;t be delayed for 14 years. Then your complaints about graphics will hold more water. Crysis' plants are not much better than Duke's, they just did a better job at hiding it and all trees are more or less flat panels that either crisscross or create an illusion.

I actually had one kid who said and I quote "I am not going to play this game cause the jokes are too juvenile for me." I wanted to smack this kid so hard.

9) Meanwhile when trying to interact with shit in Duke3D he wold say two lines "oomph" or "Where is it?." There is at least 5 times more lines in this games than all the other Duke that have voice work combined. If you pick the shit up 20 times or do the same thing 20 times constantly then yeah you're going to have repeat lines. So many games do that too. No game has infinite amount of dialogue for every character on screen. So this argument is flawed because no game has that much dialogue to the point where nothing repeats after a while. Hell, in most games I hear 5 NPCs using the same voice actor and it doesn't bother me. Unless they have a significance, they usually keep the NPCs from a hopper and let the game choose who gets what. It's randomized.

You talk about 5 different jump sounds, but forget the mention only two sounds of the "interact" or the "two sounds of Duke being idol cracking his knuckles or saying "what are you waiting for, Christmas?" Duke in DNF has a lot more dialogue and I always hear new lines every time I play the demo and this is just the demo. I want to see what the final game holds. or the same sound affect when you hit a switch or push a button or anything like that.

10) You played maybe 2 levels and even then only a fraction of each? In what little there is I could interact with all the toilets, a turd in the toilet, the soap dispenser, the whiteboard, the drinking fountain. I don;t know what you expect to interact in the desert level though. Not much "devices" in there other than maybe winches, barrels, or something else. Hell, I was surprised I could blow up the cruise missile on the crashed bird.

It's not oldskool,not even retro. It's a good idea badly executed due to a series of bad decisions.

And you got all these from a demo. You're entitled to your opinion, but your facts are wrong. Way off and wrong. I think you expected WAAAY too much from the demo and are treating it like it was the final game.

This post has been edited by JamesCassidy: 03 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Maybe they are confusing their memories of Duke with memories of Quake... that game did have a jump sound :(

Ah yes, Quake II... 'HUH! HUH! HUH!' every time you had to jump...

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostTetsuo, on 03 June 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Maybe they are confusing their memories of Duke with memories of Quake... that game did have a jump sound :(

Or maybe they played much DukePlus/Attrition, I think.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 03 June 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

I love people that base their opinions on DNF by comparing it to how they think DN3D played, but they haven't actually played DN3D in 10+ years.

Well, right below this forum section there is a section named eDuke32. It might have escaped you, but it is there. :(

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Here's where the apologists' arguments fall apart: The game isn't a AAA title. That's obvious to everybody. Then why are we expected to pay AAA prices? Who in their right mind will pay $50-$60 or more for this?

Note I said "right mind". That immediately rules out blind fanboys who don't know any better. I love Duke and grew up with him on the original sidescrollers and Duke 3d. But by today's standards (or even standards from almost 10 years ago) this is bargain bin quality stuff. I'm not paying top dollar for something so cheap. And the vast majority of consumers think the same way. What do you think that's going to do for the game long term? In the end the fans get screwed the most.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

User is offline   muskydragon 

• Yatta is a dictator! :)

What I see happening is someone fixing Duke Nukem Forever and making it like how duke 3D played.. That's all and until that mod comes out then people will love Duke Nukem Forever until then.

Expect people to hate it!

For example adding health packs and making duke have 100% health
Duke being able to hold as many weapons as he wants.
Taking away certain lame parts of the game..
Making the game bigger and having more multiple paths like the old duke games felt.
better level design.. that's all. :(

This post has been edited by muskydragon: 03 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Here's where the apologists' arguments fall apart: The game isn't a AAA title. That's obvious to everybody. Then why are we expected to pay AAA prices? Who in their right mind will pay $60 for this?

Note I said "right mind". That immediately rules out blind fanboys who don't know any better.
Apologists, blind fanboys...nice terminology there, sport...kiddo...etc.

You could've said fan or supporter, but you chose the drole childish route....well done.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 June 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

What I see happening is someone fixing Duke Nukem Forever and making it like how duke 3D played.. That's all and until that mod comes out then people will love Duke Nukem Forever until then.

Expect people to hate it!

For example adding health packs and making duke have 100% health
Duke being able to hold as many weapons as he wants.
Taking away certain lame parts of the game..
Making the game bigger and having more multiple paths like the old duke games felt.
better level design.. that's all. :(

This was never meant to be DN3D....can't you get that through your thick skull? B)

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

Apologists, blind fanboys...nice terminology there, sport...kiddo...etc.

You could've said fan or supporter, but you chose the drole childish route....well done.

Saying fan would have been an insult to people who loved the previous games, like myself. Apologist is perfectly fitting. Every terrible game has them.

Mark my words, this game will be dumped faster than AvP3.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

Saying fan would have been an insult to people who loved the previous games, like myself. Apologist is perfectly fitting.
Nope....you're just full of excuses today now aren't you?

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

Nope....you're just full of excuses today now aren't you?

Excuse me? Thankfully I'm not full of whatever you've been shoveling today.

You still haven't answered by question about who would pay AAA prices for a bargain bin game.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

Excuse me? Thankfully I'm not full of whatever you've been shoveling today.

What have I been shoveling then? Enlighten me, o wise one of the forums. :(

It's not a bargain bin game just because it doesn't have the features you want or amazing graphics...

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 03 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options