Duke4.net Forums: my city level is underway - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my city level is underway  "this level is my actual city, under attack from the aliens.."

User is offline   coheed82 

Well everyone, im building a map at the moment, using eduke32, with polymer. i do have the zipped version of duke4.net's HRP... and added it to my autoloader folder within eduke32.... but it doesnt work still.... maybe coz i have both the zipped and then the unzipped files both in there??

anyways, those of you on duke 3d repository willknow me, im coheed82, and ive made a few maps that are there, not very skilled but im hoping with this map to outdo myself. :dukegoof:
in this map my actual city' of adelaide is under attack by the alien scum.. starting off in a restroom you'll eventually go outside into the ******* it's a secret at the moment :)
the fight will take you through the streets of adelaide, including busy King William St, and Rundle Mall... not to mention Hindley St :D

ive big plans for this map.. i'll still be working on it after the release of duke nukem forever :) can't wait for the demo to finally come out already!! im in the First Access Club within gearbox, I'll be realistic.. the Demo 'should' be out on or by the 25th April tops.... we need this with enough time to enjoy it before the game is released on June 10... .

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: shot1.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot2.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot3.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot4.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot5.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot6.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot7.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot8.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot9.jpg
  • Attached Image: shot10.jpg

Your map looks interresting.

I don't know much about how to set up HRP so it works :S but good luck with the map. Your map looks more promising than most of the maps we see around here.

View PostJhect, on 10 April 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Your map looks interresting.

I don't know much about how to set up HRP so it works :S but good luck with the map. Your map looks more promising than most of the maps we see around here.

Hey, thanks Jhect. no worries about the HRP, thanks for the support man, im putting alot of time into this, so it should prove to be decent :dukegoof:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

NO WAY! I'M FROM ADELAIDE TOO! I can't wait to play through Rundle Mall :dukegoof: I'm very interested in this, especially considering I'm a mapper myself.

With the HRP, go inside your autoload folder, create a new folder called duke3d.grp and put the zipped HRP in that. Also don't forget to tick the autoload box in the startup window.

View PostMicky C, on 11 April 2011 - 01:06 AM, said:

NO WAY! I'M FROM ADELAIDE TOO! I can't wait to play through Rundle Mall :D I'm very interested in this, especially considering I'm a mapper myself.

With the HRP, go inside your autoload folder, create a new folder called duke3d.grp and put the zipped HRP in that. Also don't forget to tick the autoload box in the startup window.

Thanks Micky C, il be making the city look as good as possible, you can count on that, and thanks man, i got my HRP WORKING!! thanks to you, i was just off from getting it right, but now now its on..
ill post a shot here to show it off now hehehehe :dukegoof:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: New life into my city....jpg

This post has been edited by coheed82: 11 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

Heya... :dukegoof:

just some shots below, 1,of my laptop used for mapping and games, and 2, my amp and coheed merch.. :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: LapTop.jpg
  • Attached Image: Amp and coheed.jpg

Ahh . im going to sleep now dunno what time it is for everyone else overseas but ive stayed up allnight again, 4th night straight, just on mapping, duke4.net, duke repository, youtube, and gearbox forums.....

check the ultimate adelaide photo below :D

SEE? my city of adelaide has true balls of steel lol, go duke nukem forever!! hehe :dukegoof:

goodnight ppl..

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 4253522-Rundle_Mall-Adelaide.jpg

That's a classic hah,

• Honored Donor

How are you going to pull off the mall's balls in eduke32? I can't think of any good way to do it...

Bigass sprites.

Heya, yeah big sprites is my best guess...
im sure theres a way................. It wouldn't be rundle mall without the balls of steel! lol.. :dukegoof:
Check these photos below.. my games and films, that i sometimes get inspiration from for my map ideas, also a few DNF pictures.. Notice the 'detonators' text on the wall in the dnf picture.. i added that to my map as you've already seen :) a plaque of my best art all together that im really proud of its rather big :D
Also my guitar.. and my laptop.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YA THINK OF THESE PHOTOS (dont just view them - if you can help it) .

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: ph1.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph2.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph3.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph4.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph5.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph6.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph7.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph8.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph9.jpg
  • Attached Image: ph10.jpg

• Honored Donor

I haven't really seen the alien/predator/resident evil films but I plan to one day, so I can't really comment on them. I love that you've got Prey, but I'm not sure what to say about the DNF pics, we all have them as our desktops :dukegoof:

As for the steel balls, in a few days I might knuckle down and see if I can cook something up using ROR. I've got somewhat of an idea about how to do it, and hopefully it'll work. If it does I'll send you a pm about it. It'll be a fairly complex effect using a lot of sloped sectors if I end up pulling it off. I just want to make sure those balls look as good and 3D as possible :D

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 April 2011 - 04:41 AM

User is offline   zykov eddy 

I don't think it's a good time to show up your stuff from real life.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 12 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I thought this thread was about a map not someones personal assets and life. :dukegoof:

User is offline   CruX 

View PostThe Commander, on 12 April 2011 - 06:44 AM, said:

I thought this thread was about a map not someones personal assets and life. :dukegoof:

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but eh. Whatever. His thread, so I figure he can derail it all he wants.

@Coheed82, the map looks pretty good in contrast to some of the stuff I saw on DNR. Here's some bugaboos that you might want to consider though,

A) The light fixtures that are on the ceiling need to be panned correctly, so there'll only be three columns that fit in each sector. Right now the textures aren't panned, so there are only 21/2 columns, and it looks pretty weird.
B ) Said fixtures should also be brought down so they're at least one unit lower than the rest of the ceiling. This'll help make it look like they're actual lights, and not just a part of the ceiling with a different texture.
C) The tech doors should probably be rearranged to where they're inside a larger sector, giving them a "doorframe", so to speak. As it is right now, it just looks like another part of the wall that has a door texture pasted onto it. Giving doom-type doors a frame kinda helps add depth to the architecture.

Of course, those are just suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em, but I think it'd help improve the overall look of what you've got going.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 12 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostEmericaSkater, on 12 April 2011 - 06:57 AM, said:

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but eh. Whatever. His thread, so I figure he can derail it all he wants.

It's not just this thread, he posts the same type of pictures and random stuff about his life in the other threads he has made here at D4N and at DNR.

It's almost like he just got the internet for the first time in his life and is discovering all the cool things about it. :dukegoof:

I don't mean to offend you in anyway coheed82, but you honestly have got to tone down on all the random posts about DNF, your personal life etc in a thread about a map. Most people do not care about this info.

Hmm... well thanks for clearing that up..
makes me feel just totally grand.

At DNR.. ive posted ART' yes, in the art THREADS'..
i admit to adding more than mapping stuff in this exact thread, but shit, i thought it wouldnt hurt, ya know, showcase me abit, am i the only one who thinks like me?
im not just discovering the net at the age of 29 either...
i only wanted to add some extra to my posts...

I dont wanna seem like a arse. im trying to show off things, get people talking to me ya know, i think what ive shown is kool, is my stuff really so uncool and shit??

im also making maps here, im just wanting some recognition for my art etc... and the wait for DUKE NUKEM FOREVER is got me with nothing else to do.

to the commander.. i can try to stop adding randoms here, just keep it directly mappings... But ya see im here typig stuff adding mapster32 pics, i figure why not add the stuff id put into another thread just here too??

but hey thats that...

ANYWAYS...... "people in support of what i have to show feel free to back 'me up here"..
thanks.

P.s - attachments here.. (0) .

:dukegoof:

This post has been edited by coheed82: 13 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Guys forget the last post Please... i dont want my thread becoming a flame war, when im trying to just make friends here..

HERE: are some shots of my city' of adelaide... basically these shots ill be duplicating as best as can do in build.. and this is only part of the map im making... :dukegoof:
enjoy...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: adelaide_convention_centre.jpg
  • Attached Image: Rundle%20Mall1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Rundle%20Mall4.jpg
  • Attached Image: Rundle%20Mall7.jpg
  • Attached Image: Adelaide_-_City_-_Rundle_Mall_9.jpg
  • Attached Image: Adelaide_CBD_002.jpg
  • Attached Image: ade-lrt-sim-strres-cbd-2005x_transit-australia.jpg

Seriously you should just post what you want to, it doesn't hurt anyone, and it's a beautiful city. ( did i spell that right? ) xD

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You should either continue discussion of your map, or this thread will get moved to general discussion.

Thanks Jhect,
yeah its not bad. :dukegoof:

i'll be adding more map shots asap, no need to go spoiling it with the real shots, not yet anyway.
Im curious... is anyone else here mapping their city's???

Evening to all.

ive been working on my city map awhile now, so i'll add afew screens 'in mapster32.'

not everything is shaded or filled in, esp the big 'foyer' area of the building........ i'll have windows, that you can break, and go through to scenery outside, and have those areas boxed in with blocked walls, so you can see off into the distance (through the windows to add depth basically - but it'll add more realism than not letting you go outside.)..
its just taken me ages to align both of the sided pillars in the foyer.... with the stairs (yet to come) and have both sides looking the same.

will make the foyer more beautiful as i go through the stages of development.
Cheers.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: more work.jpg
  • Attached Image: more work 2.jpg
  • Attached Image: more work 3.jpg
  • Attached Image: more work 4.jpg

This post has been edited by coheed82: 13 April 2011 - 05:58 AM

A tip:

When you start making a map. You have to know what you aim for. Do you want to satisfy the people around here who has been making maps for a long time. Or do you want to satisfy people who just want to play maps?
If you choose the first option, you thave to focus on city levels, mostly indoor. It needs many shading effects and many small things like details, this is because they base a good map on the time it takes to create a map.
If you want to make a generally good map. The only thing you have to do is put your feelings into the map.

If you success on doing both things, then the map will be pure awesomeness.

View PostJhect, on 13 April 2011 - 06:20 AM, said:

A tip:

When you start making a map. You have to know what you aim for. Do you want to satisfy the people around here who has been making maps for a long time. Or do you want to satisfy people who just want to play maps?
If you choose the first option, you thave to focus on city levels, mostly indoor. It needs many shading effects and many small things like details, this is because they base a good map on the time it takes to create a map.
If you want to make a generally good map. The only thing you have to do is put your feelings into the map.

If you success on doing both things, then the map will be pure awesomeness.

Hey Jhect..
Thanks for the tip man,
honestly im wanting to satisfy both the die hards and the casuals... i know the direction im going in with this, and im taking pain staking care to ensure that this will be an honest and worthy map for you guys. Of course i want to make sure that im ahappy too.. and i believethat im my own biggest critic. as i sketch up areas im thinking about ammo ratio / Enemy count, secrets, easter eggs, fun factor, story, arcitecture, Shading, Lighting, Ambience, 'what should belong in any given room', boss & mini boss placements, layout, Floor to ceiling heights, Purpose & Objective of the map, target audiences, proper senine/ooze filter placements for a great set of explosions, health placements, Homages to other video games and movies, depth, mood, style, trimwork, i even try to allign the Sector Effectors in build ( though you cant see them in game) so everything looks perfect in build.. and many other aspects of the map..

I pour my heart into making these maps, spending more time on them than myself.
I aspire to build the greatest map EVER.. thought i strive for brilliance everyone has his/her own ideas of whats 'Good' or not. and everybody here making these maps deserves a pat on the back, just count all the hours and days we put into these, all the effort that the other people will never truly understand here, exept for the screens and the maps themselves that we share..

We are all good at what we do, but it depends on so many factors as to the final result of your map... That and i personally believe that over the months, you change, and the longer your on a single map the more you may change your mapping style, or improve to the point that your not happy with what you started with..

Anyways, thanks for reading and keep mapping :dukegoof:

shot, from overhead view, im going to bed, man my body needs a break..

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: overhead1.jpg

HEY MAPPERS'

please help!!

i wanna turn a sector the way i want to, i did it outside the toilets with the 'fan' picture.
but now in the foyer area of the first floor of my building im having trouble turning the sector...
ill add PHOTOS so you get the point.

WHAT I WANT IS: To have it so the extra ceiling piece angles itself into the wall behind it, instead on just turning up and down sideways like in the affghh2 jpg....
ive pressed "F" in 2d mode on the red walls but it still just turns out shit like in picture 2...
Help!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: arrghh.jpg
  • Attached Image: arrghh2.jpg

• Honored Donor

Alt F sets first wall, not F :dukegoof:

Thanks MickyC, that's that sorted.
ive been prettying up the foyer, still in the early texturing, shading, stages but it getting more depth to it.
Also in a below Mapster32 Screenshot i added a duke sprite to show the size ratio better.
Enjoy.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: foyerexp.jpg
  • Attached Image: foyerexp2.jpg
  • Attached Image: foyerexp3.jpg
  • Attached Image: foyerexp4.jpg

ok, been working on my map the last 70 + hours.
i've got a range of new shots to show you guys the direction im heading in with this map.

Enjoy :dukegoof:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 16thapril.jpg
  • Attached Image: 16thapril2.jpg
  • Attached Image: 16thapril3.jpg
  • Attached Image: 16thapril4.jpg
  • Attached Image: 16thapril5.jpg
  • Attached Image: 16thapril6.jpg
  • Attached Image: 16thapril7.jpg
  • Attached Image: 17thapril.jpg
  • Attached Image: 17thapril2.jpg
  • Attached Image: 17thapril3.jpg

AND MORE!!!

what do you think??
good ,, no :dukegoof:

finally making an effort outside a building, working on some serious spritework to follow :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 17thapril4.jpg
  • Attached Image: 17thapril5.jpg
  • Attached Image: 17thapril6.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril2.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril3.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril4.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril5.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril6.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril7.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril8.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril9.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril10.jpg
  • Attached Image: 19thapril11.jpg

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options