Duke4.net Forums: Manga Studio 4 Debut - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Manga Studio 4 Debut  "The Most Focked Up Anti-UserFriendly Program To Date"

User is offline   Nukester10 

As I've mentioned in previous posts I was contemplating working on a Phantasm Mod for eduke32.
I wanted to design everything including Original Character Artwork.That's where I happened to
stumble upon this to my surprise so highly praised program lol.This program has been around for quite some time,
and grant it spending $49 for this online vs spending $799 for Photoshop when you consider some
of the tools this thing has would make any wannabe artiste very excited.The only problem is getting
the thing to work as advertised.

Ok,right so I downloaded this thing yesterday and noticed right away that the way they designed
this thing to work properly is totally fucked to say the least.Let me reiterate on my summation.

Smith Micro Software Inc. which had this program passed over to it from
e-frontier a few years back explained in they're instructions that once you downloaded and opened the zipfile
the "Main Page To Install" would open for which it did properly,but just before the Install was
to be complete you would be asked,"Do you want to load Materials from File or Disk?"
I just ordered this thing yesterday so of course I didn't get the disk in the mail yet.
Anyhow,they suggested you have all your files on the desktop while your doing this
which is kinda different if you ask me.It didn't take long before I found out not only would the program say,"THIS
NOT A MANGA STUDIO FILE"when it's right there on the desktop,I came to find
out No Matter What Folder you placed the Material folder in,the Install file
would say the same damn thing over and over and over again!

This program was designed by a Japanese Team and then ported to the English Language
before e-frontier got a hold of it a few years back,In turn this might bring up a couple of questions to ones
mind.

And they may just be.........

A. What kind of computer did the Japanese use when they where writing Manga Studio?

B. What kind of software where they using over there when they where writing Manga Studio?
One things for sure it wasn't Xp!

That brings up what I'm currently using right now,Windows XP SP2.

Grant it the Main Manga Studio 4 Debut program does work but you might just understand this and that is for me or anybody else who has to go through this horseshit of not being able to use the other folders that came along with this thing,as I previously mentioned that being, Materials <Balloons> <Tones> and <Comic Fonts> is like having a itch you can't scratch if you ask me!

Okay let me start from scratch I'll just delete the......no no not the zipfile I need that bugger,I'll set that one aside.The Smith Micro Folder which happens to be located in the C Drive.

"WTF!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T DELETE THE FILE!?

Eventually,I went on to a Deviant Art blog and found a bunch of other folks having the same problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------
There was one member who said they contacted Smith Micro Inc. directly whether it was by phone or email they didn't say.
This is an excerpt from that blog:

~2nd Horseman May 14, 2010

Post 1

was this ever fixed? My manga studio was working perfectly until just now and this same issue started happening to me!!

Post 2

Okay, so I found a solution to this. After I called them and they insisted it was not their fault and i must have installed or done something to screw up a program that worked just fine because I guess I wanted to, they started doing research and throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what worked. And something did. You need to uninstall manga studio COMPLETELY, then you go to (on windows XP or similar OS) you have to go to your application data folder for the admin of the machine you are on or your own profle and find the folder titled "Smith Micro" Inside that folder will be another folder for manga studio. Delete that whole folder. The path for the application data folder on an XP machine is as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user acct here>\Application Data

If you do not see the application data folder in your user acct folder, you will have to go to the Tools menu> then click folder options> then click on the 'View' Tab and check the option on that tab that says "Show all hidden files and folders" or something similar to that. This should reveal the application data folder for you.

Post 3

yeah, since i posted that reply, the same thing happened to me again and i wound up giving up and going back to photoshop and haven't looked back. When I read this, I went and opened up manga studio and gave it a shot, just to see if it still was whacked out. Lo and behold, it suddenly decided to work correctly for no reason! The software is buggy IMO. I still think it has a host of awesome features, but the customer support for the product and its buggy nature turned me off.

Post 4

Sorry, I forgot to finish off the instructions there. Once you delete the above mentioned folder, you then re-install Manga studio and re-enter your license and install all materials. This will clear the issue right up. You may also want to uninstall and reinstall your tablet drivers prior to re-installing manga studio for the second time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

I followed what was said in post #2 and sure enough the only way you could delete this program would be,right,delete FIRST the Manga Studio Folder that was INSIDE of the Smith Micro folder,hmmmmmm how strange.

As far is this goes > C:\Documents and Settings\<your user acct here>\Application Data<

After I deleted everything except for the original zipfile I looked into my Comps Environment Variables to see if
Manga Studio had placed any there,I didn't notice anything that related to Manga Studio.The reason I looked in
there is because everytime I would delete this program then reinstall,the "re-enter the license" gui mentioned
in the final post 4 not once reappeared as it originally did when I first downloaded this zip.

*In Final,if you have Windows XP or Not and you or a friend have come across this program at one time or another, could you PLEASE explain how you or they got the MATERIAL folder to link up with this fucked up program?

Thank You

Please Reply,

*And even if this doesn't apply to you,but your super sophisticated computer savvy compels you to seek out,solve and simplify this current riddle of modern computer science to share with the rest of the world,so you can add another notch to your belt of remarkableness.I'd be more than happy to hear what you figured out.So to you too please reply.

Thank You Again

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 21 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

User is offline   Nukester10 

Ok,wow I finally got this program to work so basically here's the details.
Oh yeah ah for one thing,note change,this does not apply to Debut but the EX version,
Through trial and errors,meaning errors=lack of information available,I dropped Debut and decided to give EX a whirl.

If anyone else reading this actually knows how to fix Debut,be my guest and explain on,
but I'm pretty sure the fixes for both are going to be quite different because of the differences
in the amount of folders each program has,EX has more folders if you already didn't figure that out.

Anyhow,here's how you get the Materials folder to Linkup with Manga Studio EX

Go To C:\ > Program Files > Your Manga Studio EX program should be placed in here.

Once you open the file,why don't ask,there are not 1 but 2 Material folders herein.

One file is titled: MATERIAL

The other file is titled: MATERIALS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<< Did you happen to notice the letter S on the end?

All you have to do is drop the (MATERIALS File) INTO THE (MATERIAL File) and you should be good to go.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that if you have a Bamboo Tablet like myself or any other tablet for that matter
and your having problems in this department too I have a fix for that as well.

This fix I came across a while ago,you first have to download a Hex Editing program called HxD .....don't worry it's free

Next you have to change a few numbers under win to double zeros,then once done the pen cursor should perform normally for you.
Here's the instructions I read to get mine to work,now you read it and see if you can figure it out if not,maybe find someone else
to help you through this process.It's all explained next,

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING AND YOU SOMEHOW SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER NEITHER I NOR
DUKE 4 .NET WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

Thomas Bleeker 2008-05-09 08:11:36 UTC

Details for the attachment I just added:

I have the same problem but managed to patch the program so that it works
correctly again, at least for me (I haven't tested it yet on other computers).

Tablet: Wacom Grapphire 4, latest drivers installed

My problem was with Inkscape but I tested GIMP and it has the same problem,
like veryone describes here, the cursor freezes on certain proximity events.

I looked around in the relevant source file (gdkinput-win32.c) and after some
testing I found out the packet rate setting causes the problem:

(lc is the LOGCONTEXT structure)
lc.lcPktRate = 50;

However, the Wacom Windows Developer FAQ
(http://www.wacomeng....mwindevfaq.html) states:

"The lcPcktRate field is not functional in the non-Wacom Wintab which shipped
with older Wacom tablets. The Wacom Wintab currently doesn't support lcPktRate
either. In both Wintabs, lcPktRate is reported as 100, but the tablet will
actually be sending data at the highest rate possible for whatever mode in
which the tablet is set."

I tried setting this value to just zero and all problems disappeared. Both
Inkscape and GIMP work as expected, including pressure and tool switching.

Since I didn't feel like compiling all the necessary libraries again I just
binary patched the GDK DLL for Inkscape and GIMP, but I have attached a source
code patch for GTK that should produce the same result.

I hope this fix will work on other systems as well, if you want to quickly
check if this fix works for Inkscape or GIMP then you can apply the binary
patch. For this you need these specific versions (which are the latest at the
moment of writing)

Inkscape: 0.46
GIMP: 2.4.5 i686

You will also need a hex editor, I use HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/hxd/),
description below is for that tool.

Install as usual, then run HxD (be sure to run it as administrator if you use
Vista with UAC and installed in program files!!). For inkscape, in HxD open
libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll (this file should be 639270 bytes). When patching GIMP,
open the same file from the bin directory inside the GIMP directory, this
version of the DLL should be 617992 bytes.

Menu search, goto (or press alt+g).
Offset: 39030 for Inkscape, 39180 for GIMP
Select 'hex', relative to 'begin' and press OK.

Your cursor should now be at the hexadecimal offset you've entered, you should
see this sequence of bytes:

32 00 00 00 8B 4D 88 89 85 E4 FD FF FF B8 E1 15

Type 00 to overwrite the 32 at the start with 00. It will become red. Save the
file, close HxD and try the program again.

GOD DAMN THATS A FUCKING LONG ASS POST!!!! :dukegoof: :D :)

This post has been edited by blackharted: 19 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options