• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Critical Mass Revived?

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 25 April 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

Ok, I've got my full moderation ablities on the Apogee forums now. :dukegoof:

Good Luck NUKEMDAVE. :D

Not trying to be negative, but there isn't much of anyone left to moderate right not but me... and while I might be abrasive sometimes, I am not exactly a "loose cannon" on the site.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   shmargin 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 25 April 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

Good Luck NUKEMDAVE. :dukegoof:

Not trying to be negative, but there isn't much of anyone left to moderate right not but me... and while I might be abrasive sometimes, I am not exactly a "loose cannon" on the site.

MrBlackCat

Yeah, he's on a power trip right now...Funny shit, maybe I'll post our conversation later.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 14 April 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

I'm the moderator now on the Apogee Forums. :dukegoof:

There are about 17 people on that forum... looks like you have your hands full :D

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 26 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View Postshmargin, on 25 April 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

Yeah, he's on a power trip right now...Funny shit, maybe I'll post our conversation later.

I'm not Apogee1. :dukegoof:

http://www.apogeesof...php?3-NUKEMDAVE

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, Apogee1 is more likely than not Joe3DR.

I am fairly certain it is Terry Nagy.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 27 April 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

I am fairly certain it is Terry Nagy.

I think it used to be... but I don't think so anymore. If would be more likely to go with Joe based on his rather smartmouth tone. I like what Joe does, but I think he is VERY abrasive in the form of being defensive... which is exactly what happened in the disagreement between myself and Apogee1 last time.

MrBlackCat

May 25th for North America! Press release uploaded to Facebook page.

User is offline   Ronin 

I never liked the sound of Trilogy games, I was excited when I heard about new Duke games being made but when I saw an interview with Terry I knew the games were doomed, after watching some footage of Critical Mass I am discusted. The problem with having such a great character as Mr Nukem is you dont have to try very hard to make a great game as you can wing it on the character alone ( so the devs think anyway ).

Zero Hour was the last true great Duke game imo, everything else has been getting by on Dukes attitude, I refuse to be blinded by my love Duke Nukem 3D, I will call a shit a shit, and Critical Mass looks very much to be a giant shit with brown wings and sweetcorn for teeth, Nagy sucks.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Yeah. The soundtrack isn't bad, but the game itself feels very cobbled together right now. And though i'm no graphics whore, it definitely isn't the best the DS can do in that regard.

They should take all the copies of this game and dump it in with all the all the cartridges for the Atari 2600 E.T. in Mexico.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 22 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

View PostRipemanewone, on 21 May 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

I never liked the sound of Trilogy games, I was excited when I heard about new Duke games being made but when I saw an interview with Terry I knew the games were doomed, after watching some footage of Critical Mass I am discusted. The problem with having such a great character as Mr Nukem is you dont have to try very hard to make a great game as you can wing it on the character alone ( so the devs think anyway ).

Zero Hour was the last true great Duke game imo, everything else has been getting by on Dukes attitude, I refuse to be blinded by my love Duke Nukem 3D, I will call a shit a shit, and Critical Mass looks very much to be a giant shit with brown wings and sweetcorn for teeth, Nagy sucks.

You forgot to add Manhattan Project, THAT, was an amazing game.
Very fun.

View Postthemaniacboy, on 25 May 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

You forgot to add Manhattan Project, THAT, was an amazing game.
Very fun.

I wouldn't go that far. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't amazing.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 25 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostReaperMan, on 25 May 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

I wouldn't go that far. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't amazing.

Yep, I enjoyed it years ago on the pc, in the "dark years" but I got it again on Xbox 360 and I have to say it didnt finish it because its just too crap, People will love something just because its Duke and I understand that, but I will not lie to myself the controls suck, the humours not bad (not good either) the enemys are crap, and most importantly the level design is crap, its just not good enough for the high bar Duke 3D and Zero Hour (to a lesser extent) set, I know its a differant kind of game and it has a lot of love but after playing games like Contra, I just cant deal with how crap this game actually is, strange because I used to love it, I guess playing it again after the new Contra game game came out was a bad idea.

I love Nukem as much as anyone, but I will not trick myself into thinking crap is gold just because it has nostalgia attached to it.

Nagy sucks, I just needed to say that again.

Nagy sucks...sorry.

Nagy su...I had to stop myself.

User is offline   shmargin 

View PostRipemanewone, on 26 May 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Yep, I enjoyed it years ago on the pc, in the "dark years" but I got it again on Xbox 360 and I have to say it didnt finish it because its just too crap, People will love something just because its Duke and I understand that, but I will not lie to myself the controls suck, the humours not bad (not good either) the enemys are crap, and most importantly the level design is crap, its just not good enough for the high bar Duke 3D and Zero Hour (to a lesser extent) set, I know its a differant kind of game and it has a lot of love but after playing games like Contra, I just cant deal with how crap this game actually is, strange because I used to love it, I guess playing it again after the new Contra game game came out was a bad idea.

I love Nukem as much as anyone, but I will not trick myself into thinking crap is gold just because it has nostalgia attached to it.

Nagy sucks, I just needed to say that again.

Nagy sucks...sorry.

Nagy su...I had to stop myself.

Yeah that guy does suck if he had any supervising power over the latest DS train wreck that the fake Apogee is slapping their name all over. Critical Mass is out now, thought about buying it, just to prove to the admin at Fake Apogee that its horrible, but lets looks at the Metacritic scores:

games™May 22, 2011 40: Like booting up a mediocre run-and-gunner from the mid-Nineties. [Issue#109, p.114]

SpazioGamesMay 5, 2011 35 Duke Nukem: Critical Mass is a terrible game. Forget it, wait for the big return.

Multiplayer.itMay 26, 2011 30 Duke Nukem: Critical Mass is one of the worst Nintendo DS games ever. Clear and simple.

Vandal OnlineMay 16, 2011 30 This is a forgettable game. It is short, boring, easy and has no ambition. The game should have stayed in limbo instead of taking advantage of the renewed appeal of Duke.

MeristationApr 25, 2011 30 Although there were high expectations for this game, there isn't anything we expected. A huge setback for one of the most notorious characters today.

Pocket Gamer UKApr 20, 2011 30 Despite good intentions and admirable attempts to mix up its gameplay, Critical Mass is a real mess that fails on nearly every level.

Official Nintendo Magazine UKMay 23, 2011 29 Shoddily made, uglier than Ugly McUglyson and an incredibly frustrating game. [June 2011, p.102]

NGamer UKMay 13, 2011 29 Basic, crude, ugly. [May 2011, p.69]

Everyeye.itMay 25, 2011 20 Simply one of the ugliest games for DS and for this generation of consoles.

Metro GameCentralApr 12, 2011 20 A low tech portable monstrosity that manages to make the worst of both the DS's abilities and the Duke's legacy.

GamekultApr 12, 2011 10 Ugly, hard to handle and definitely not fun to play, Duke Nukem: Critical Mass probably is the worst thing a video game has to offer.

Hard to buy a game when the nicest review for it describes it as a "mediocre 90s game"....Good job Fake Apogee, way to fail on epic levels. Too bad George and Scott cant take that name away from you guys since you clearly don't deserve it. Go back to making shockwave flash advertisement games, at least people don't review those, so you'll never know how horrible you're doing.

We can quote Apogee1 from apogeesoftware.com forums "We got a ton of VO's, Music, Animations, Levels, and provided Co-Op game play, along with having multi-mode gaming with an in depth story , and still had achievements and the babe gallery. Everything everyone wanted in the game, but there was a price to pay. In order to fit onto the cart, somethings had to be limited, and others had to be cut/removed from the game."

Appearently in order to fit all that on the cart they had to remove graphics and gameplay? Sounds like you're better off buying the Duke Nukem sound board from the App store rather than this game.

This post has been edited by shmargin: 27 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

If your game is too big for the system, redesign the game proper, or put it on a system that can handle it. Simple.

Sounds like design issues for sure... my reaction when I read that was along the lines of "So you can't make it taste good, so you made a pop-sickle that has a good color and texture..." That is not a good plan in my opinion.

My second reaction was "are we supposed to have some sort of sympathy for them trying to give us too much... so much it had to be cut back to the point it isn't that good?" I reacted to this badly... because of 3D Realms and Duke Nukem Forever... the Encyclopedia Example for "over-ambitious". Did these guys learn nothing from 3D Realms? THEIR parent company. (in my opinion)

I have never made games for commercial sale, but to me, Game-Play should be pretty far up in the hierarchy of engineering a game.

So the sounds are good... ok. That is a plus, but who likes to listen to music while watching 5th grade quality music videos? To me I imagine watching a YouTube lip-sync with a idiot doing a joke performance. Duke Nukem doesn't deserve that.
It would be like playing Grabbag in the some terrible game... it can only carry so much of the experience in one element.

Like I said, as with food, taste should be pretty high on the list of things not to compromise on... and accept that the graphics guys might not agree on this but I think taste is to food, as gameplay is to game. Everything else can be compromised.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 28 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is the gameplay that bad? The game itself might be poor on the DS, which is a dedicated gaming device, but it might fair better on something like the iPhone if given the proper controls, and maybe tweaked a bit.

This is slightly off topic, but what I hated about Manhattan Project is that you had to find the keycard and save the babe in pretty much every level. If you could run and gun your way through, and not have to frustratingly back track every time you got to the exit, then it'd be less tedious. I also hated the jumping, it never seemed to work just how you wanted it to. Sometimes the double jump would work, and sometimes you'd plummet to your death, likewise you'd get pushed off a platform if you were trying to climb up and a pigcop was there. Finally, the checkpoint saving system really put the last nail in the coffin. If you could save where ever you were, then you wouldn't have to worry as much about dangerous platforming or frustrating puzzles.

The game still isn't available here... so I don't have it yet.

I will review it in the next week or two when I get it though.

MrBlackCat

Just received my copy!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fQqy5WOb8kk

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options