Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Critical Mass Revived? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Critical Mass Revived?

Yeah WTF was up with that?

Oh. It just came to me. The snivelling lying bastards, otherwise know as GBX are trying to make up for screwing us over, by reviving a (quite possibly) generic game, with Duke pasted over the top to boost sales.

(Which of course are fucked know so many people INCLUDING ME have cancelled the pre-order, WHICH COST MONEY, WHICH WAS A WASTE BECAUSE THE DELAY ;))

This post has been edited by blackharted: 24 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Mar 24 2011, 10:19 AM, said:

Yeah, what was up with all the "Alien Extraction Point" garbage? And the new main character Kane Nash or whatever his dumb name was. This Apogee has no idea how to make jokes if it was a joke.

From what I recall, there was something to do with publishing of the Duke games that resulted in them being put on hold and people being fired. Something like that. I don't think it was a joke.

Ok than. That makes sense.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

There isn't any official word is the problem...
Here is what I typed on another forum as a refresher.

***begin paste***
In March of 2009 Apogee announced SIX new Duke Nukem games coming soon. Three each for the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP. Three games on each system following the same story line, but of course different games as these are very different systems.

For each system the three games announced were:
Critical Mass (Coming summer 2009)
Chain Reaction (coming soon)
Proving Grounds (coming soon)

Originally the release dates were expected to be the same for both Sony PSP and Nintendo DS.

In mid 2009 the original Apogee/3D Realms basically "closed" their shop, releasing their development team, becoming only a publisher until further notice.

At the time of the near closure of 3D Realms, Terry Nagy of Apogee assured Duke Nukem fans that the issues with Duke Nukem Forever and 3D Realms would not effect the development of the Duke Nukem Trilogy games and they would be released on schedule, starting in Summer of 2009. Although this date was not met by nearly two years now, Mr. Nagy may still have been accurate, as it is currently not public information what caused the delay of the Nintendo DS Critical Mass and the apparent cancellation of the Sony PSP version of the Trilogy.

While the exact relationship between the New Apogee and Apogee/3D Realms has not been made public for the most part, they are related, but they are not the same company.

But as of today, (3-23-2011) there is a release date for the first of the titles but only for the DS as of now... Critical Mass is set to be released in May of 2011.
***end paste***

There is only speculation as to the PSP versions demise... the rumor is that the developers didn't get paid for the job, so they are converting the game to an original IP... in theory called Extraction Point: Alien Shootout staring Cam Nash. I think that is how it went. Just removing Duke Nukem so as not to loose their development completely.
This is purely rumor and speculation however... no official word. If it is true, I can see WHY there is no official word.

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 24 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postblackharted, on Mar 24 2011, 12:41 PM, said:

Oh. It just came to me. The snivelling lying bastards, otherwise know as GBX are trying to make up for screwing us over,...

Don't blame Gearbox. It was 2k who set the release date to begin with. Randy didn't even know about it when it was announced. Blame 2k. So far they're the ones screwing everything up (the cover art, the release date) and Gearbox are taking the heat for it. Direct blame where blame is due. At least they didn't mess aroudn about it and accepted any flak they were going to get with the way they produced that video.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 24 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Mar 24 2011, 03:56 PM, said:

Blame 2k. So far they're the ones screwing everything up (the cover art, the release date) and Gearbox are taking the heat for it.

Don't forget the action figure... 2K handled that also.

• The Sarien Encounter

Right.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Facebook page is back!

Also, nice forum makeover!

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 28 March 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

Facebook page is back!

Also, nice forum makeover!

Glad the page is back

Attached Image: DNCM COVERART3.jpg

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 29 March 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

To be honest I was about to post that after seeing it on Facebook ;)

Multi-Player... Hmmm. Didn't know about that.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 30 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

User is offline   #SH@DOW# 

John St John has nothing to do with Critical Mass? I've just listened to Duke's one linears form the game and it seems to me that's not his voice. What a pity:(

View Post#SH@DOW#, on 01 April 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

John St John has nothing to do with Critical Mass? I've just listened to Duke's one linears form the game and it seems to me that's not his voice. What a pity:(

It's Jon St. John.

http://twitter.com/A...atus/1787892795

User is offline   #SH@DOW# 

Some of one linears are really bad((

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Post#SH@DOW#, on 01 April 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

Some of one linears are really bad((

Not that there bad, but I've noticed it being far from D3D in vocal tone. What I mean is Jon is sounding more like Jon than Duke. Seems he's changed that to his liking, being he still can sound like Duke with less effort. The quality is much better though, I think he's lost that original feel of the old 3dr's Duke.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Don't forget that Duke3D was made circa 1995. You can hear a distinct difference between Duke3D lines and Atomic/PPak lines. The equipment used to record and the subsequent low quality sound wave container (.VOC) lead to all sorts of compression and what not. Granted, Jon HAS changed the voice over the years, but that must be taken into account.

• The Sarien Encounter

The music is way better than the lame grabbag from the DNF website anyway.

User is offline   Lunick 

Not long until the release ;)

View PostLunick, on 05 April 2011 - 11:21 PM, said:

And i am psyched

View PostLunick, on 05 April 2011 - 11:21 PM, said:

View Postduke4everman, on 06 April 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

And i am psyched

You guys going to review it after you play it?
I am going to be watching for video as soon as it is released. I am in the US, so I won't get it for while, but I am really excited about this... the first Duke game released in a long time.

I still find it odd there is no advertising though. That just seems wrong.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   K100 

Duke Nukem Critical Mass DS new gameplay:

Edit: The game has been leaked...

This post has been edited by K100: 06 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Please don't post this to the frontpage. Unofficial. I can do better than this if you just wait a little longer. ;)

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 06 April 2011 - 05:19 AM, said:

You guys going to review it after you play it?
I am going to be watching for video as soon as it is released. I am in the US, so I won't get it for while, but I am really excited about this... the first Duke game released in a long time.

I still find it odd there is no advertising though. That just seems wrong.

MrBlackCat

IF I get to play it, I live in Australia and I have no idea when it will come here ;)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostK100, on 06 April 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

Duke Nukem Critical Mass DS new gameplay: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-9rG61JZ6rU

Edit: The game has been leaked...

As I told TX and posted on the Youtube comments, this game looks so bad I wouldn't even wipe my ass with it. Also, the recycling of DNMP assets inside this game is insulting.

If the non-leaked version of this video is anything like this, I'm not posting it to the front page no matter how official it is.

View PostYatta, on 06 April 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

If the non-leaked version of this video is anything like this, I'm not posting it to the front page no matter how official it is.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sdx79sydOTI

User is offline   Lunick 

I wonder how Co-op will work?

View PostLunick, on 06 April 2011 - 10:48 PM, said:

I wonder how Co-op will work?

If it's not through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, it won't do me any good. I'll have no one to play with.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 06 April 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

If it's not through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, it won't do me any good. I'll have no one to play with.

On the Box Art there is no Blue Wi-Fi circle so I don't think it will be over Wifi.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 03 April 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

Don't forget that Duke3D was made circa 1995. You can hear a distinct difference between Duke3D lines and Atomic/PPak lines. The equipment used to record and the subsequent low quality sound wave container (.VOC) lead to all sorts of compression and what not. Granted, Jon HAS changed the voice over the years, but that must be taken into account.

I think he can still pull off the authentic Duke voice if he wants to, i.e in that Doug Huggem video he sounded EXACTLY like Duke, which is why it's so funny!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options