Duke4.net Forums: WGR2: SIEGEBREAKER 1.2 RELEASED! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WGR2: SIEGEBREAKER 1.2 RELEASED!

Is another episode coming or is the next update just a fix for any bugs and makes balance changes? I'm very biased when I suggest this but if you guys are thinking of adding another character may I suggest Caleb from Blood? He'd be a good match and his supernatural background wouldn't feel too out of place. He's better than Lo Wang anyway, the Katana would be nice, but the option to mute Lo Wang's one liners would have to be mandatory...

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 06 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Oh, there'll be new maps for sure. There are currently 3 mappers working on multiple maps, with 2 others who are also doing a bit of mapping. If another character is to be added, it'll probably be something much more original.

If you haven't already, check out the new (well, they're old by now) images on moddb: http://www.moddb.com...church#imagebox

Cool. I did a quick search and didn't see anything about new episodes so my apologies if I come off as a newb.

Big question: Are you guys planning on doing something that could be released on Steam? Not trying to brown nose but you guys really need to get picked up by Valve and given an oldschool FPS project to create. Too bad People Can Fly were swallowed up by Epic and don't seem to be doing any new projects.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostBruno Mattei, on 06 May 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

Big question: Are you guys planning on doing something that could be released on Steam? Not trying to brown nose but you guys really need to get picked up by Valve and given an oldschool FPS project to create. Too bad People Can Fly were swallowed up by Epic and don't seem to be doing any new projects.

That would and could not happen.

The only "client" type program that we can use that works like Steam is Desura.
http://www.desura.com/

Spoiler

No, no. I meant if there's any plans on licensing an engine or building your own engine and making commercial game, not a mod.

• Honored Donor

Nope, no way. Pretty much all the art you see in the game has been ripped borrowed from other games, which means we can't sell any work containing them (it's a bit shady that we're using them in the first place). Having to learn how to use a new engine, then either port content over, or create things from scratch, including all the artwork necessary to make a game, is way too much work. We're not making mods for a profit, it's just a hobby, and we enjoy the process of creating maps and effects, and the satisfaction of being able to play them and having others be able to play them.

Edit: Most of us either already have full time paying jobs, or are full time university students anyway.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 07 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

NOTE: Do not reply to this until you have read the entire post!

I believe we could legally sell the content that we created ourselves (the map files, the CON files, and the new models). The "borrowed" content would be distributed separately. What we could sell is an installer that includes our own content; it would prompt users for the location of the package containing "borrowed" content, as well as EDuke32 itself, and then combine the three to make the playable game. But I also believe the money we would make from doing that would not be worth it. Many people in the community would hate us and we would lose a lot of friends. You can be sure that they would put copies of the whole game out there for free and make things difficult for us. If it actually started making money, copyright holders of the "borrowed" content might suddenly become interested in their IP again and try to shut down distribution of at least that portion of the project. In my opinion we are better off politely asking for donations in order to fund future development. I'm not against making money off of our hard work, but it should be on a project that was planned that way from the start and doesn't involve IP we don't own.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 08 May 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

NOTE: Do not reply to this until you have read the entire post!

I was about half way through your post when I realised that we could...... <_<

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I should make it clear; I was not talking about selling a Duke 3D mod or TC. I was talking about starting a new IP on a new or licensed engine. I know you can't sell a mod. There's no way you can do it legally.

I look forward to the new episode(s) guys. Keep up the great work!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostBruno Mattei, on 09 May 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

I should make it clear; I was not talking about selling a Duke 3D mod or TC. I was talking about starting a new IP on a new or licensed engine.

Dan would have to learn everything from scratch; he'd feel like a cripple after having mastered the Build engine. And where would he get mappers from? WGR2 exists because William Gee was willing to provide maps (well, it was his project to begin with, hence the "WG" part). I don't see anyone here willing to learn another editor; Duke3D mappers are too comfortable with Build. One reason why Dan has been able to gather mappers around his projects is because he's got something to show - his code. If they "the team" were to switch engines this wouldn't be the case.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 09 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

• Honored Donor

How I feel every time I play this section:
Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Ok, last ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Duke Plus Developer

I apologize for my extended absence. My latest excuse: My desktop (modding) computer died on Friday due to a PSU failure. I didn't get it up and running again until last night.

User is offline   MetHy 

I had decided to replay WGR2 on the hardest difficulty while using this version. So I installed it and also applied patch 1.201.

I was enjoying the game a lot by when I arrived at the end of the first stage, the end boss and the other enemies were invisible. They were only flickering very briefly from times to times. Also shotgun guys did that as well before the elevator.

I'm playing in 8-bit but it does the same in 32 bit.

Posted Image

also the life seeds starting glitching out as well at some point

Posted Image

Any idea ?

Also couple other things :

Is there a way to get access to that window or is it just decoration ?

Posted Image

This place should have been blocked or a secret place

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Something bugs me, that's the wrong skybox.

I'm on the developers team, so I've got a variety of copies of the TC at various stages of development. However I'm pretty sure it has always been like this IIRC:

Posted Image

I agree with you that there should be something put there, it's a nifty little secret. Maybe WG intended to put something there then forgot about it. It's not the sort of thing worth releasing a new update for though.

As for the window in the 3rd screenshot, that's actually the area where you first open up the 2 chests and the demon portal opens and the textures change and you get the shotgun/chaingun/pipebombs. Basically it's a window to a room you've already visited, next time you play the TC, if you know which area I'm talking about, try looking out that window and you should be able to see the giant staircase.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 19 September 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

Something bugs me, that's the wrong skybox.

That's the texture that the skybox changes to when you open the portal

User is offline   MetHy 

Seems like the problem comes from my graphics card because it works fine on another computer. The thing glitches when I play Bioshock too, and if I try to update to more recent drivers it doesn't work at all and I'm forced to go back to previous drivers. oh well...

Edit : hmm I saw a couple of enemies flicker even on the other computer... as long as it doesn't get worse

This post has been edited by MetHy: 29 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Couldn't beat the WGrealms remake on skill4. I remember the end boss being already very tough on skill3, but on 4 it seems just impossible. Anyway I still have the same opinion about the remake of WGR1 : it's a cool bonus but I still like the original better.

I wanted to replay the 2 other levels as well but I get too many flickering enemies, and on top of that chaos realm keeps freezing for a second or two from times to times which ends up getting me killed...

Are you running an ATI card?
I have had nothing but problems with eduke32 and ATI recently so I put in a NVIDEA and everything is sweet for me again.

• Honored Donor

The game often freezes for me for a second or two when I step onto an auto save sector for the first time. Are the freezes rare or frequent?

User is offline   MetHy 

nvidia cards on both computers

the freezes weren't due to autosaves

I need to have a run through of the original episodes in the latest version and see if I have troubles then.

User is offline   Apiai 

Hi, I've read this message from DeeperThought (Jun 4 2020) on moddb : "My current projects Alien Armageddon and now the revival of WGR2 that we are working on"
I wanted to know more about this WGR2 revival, is it still planned ? What is this project about ?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostApiai, on 16 March 2022 - 09:57 AM, said:

Hi, I've read this message from DeeperThought (Jun 4 2020) on moddb : "My current projects Alien Armageddon and now the revival of WGR2 that we are working on"
I wanted to know more about this WGR2 revival, is it still planned ? What is this project about ?

That refers to Demon Throne which was released later that year.

https://www.moddb.co...lms-2/downloads

User is offline   Apiai 

Wow thanks, I didn't know this mod, I always check forums.duke4.net for new D3D releases, but I never think to check moddb.
I'd like to thank you for all your work, Duke Plus, Duke Force, Siegebreaker, ... All are just amazing. I'm having more fun with thoses mod than a lots of recent games.
Thank you, thank you, thank you !

This post has been edited by Apiai: 17 March 2022 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostApiai, on 17 March 2022 - 09:49 AM, said:

Wow thanks, I didn't know this mod, I always check forums.duke4.net for new D3D releases, but I never think to check moddb.
I'd like to thank you for all your work, Duke Plus, Duke Force, Siegebreaker, ... All are just amazing. I'm having more fun with thoses mod than a lots of recent games.
Thank you, thank you, thank you !

Well there was a thread here, too: https://forums.duke4...hrone-released/

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options