Duke4.net Forums: Suggestions and other feedback - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestions and other feedback  "Please post bug reports in the bug report thread"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I have a suggestion... come up with a better site for this thing! Go the old-school TC site route: have a page showing off the weapons, one for the enemies, one for the "story" and general gist of the game, a media page, etc. That way we'd have some kind of actual informational page to link to in news posts on duke4.net, posts on facebook.com/eduke32 and so on. I think this would be a lot more popular if people could find something out about it in ways other than digging through forum threads, and it would only take you a night or two to do.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, I plan to do that. Anybody who wants to help out with that is welcome.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I might be able to help with it a bit if you want. I really want to post about WGR2 1.2 on the front page of the site in a few days after our post about the DNF collector's edition being available from Amazon again generates some more sales.

User is offline   E.C.S 

Well, if you want, I can do a Spanish translation of the mod info (Weapons, history, enemies, etcetera) and translate the mod to Spanish (editing the CON of course if there is no problem).

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostE.C.S, on Mar 3 2011, 11:53 PM, said:

Well, if you want, I can do a Spanish translation of the mod info (Weapons, history, enemies, etcetera) and translate the mod to Spanish (editing the CON of course if there is no problem).

Translating mod info would be good, but you shouldn't mess with the cons because I update them a lot and it would cause coordination problems. Quote numbers get changed around and stuff like that, and people would try using the spanish language wgr2user.con from an older version and get compiler errors.

I have yet to do a GOOD version of the manual in English; most of the info only appears in game as game tips. After there is a good English version, then it would make sense to translate it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

DT, weren't you going to make it so the view alligned sprites only rotate when you move, not when you look around as well? It seemed like a good idea, I was just wondering what happened to that.\

Edit: And I finished DanM's level. OMFG it was brilliant! TBO for the first few minutes I thought it was average by WGRealms 2 standard then it just kept getting bigger, more detailed and more hell-like. The boss fights were well done, especially the last one. Epic just got redefined! The music was well suited too.
I died several times in that, it just seemed impossible, and I mean it really did look impossible, then I hit the solution and it was so obvious;
Spoiler

I then proceeded to change my underwear.

I'm halfway through the first level of WGRealms 1 now, and I have to say all new maps so far are completely up to the high standards of the WGRealms 2 mod. And there are great new coded features too.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 4 2011, 05:00 AM, said:

Translating mod info would be good, but you shouldn't mess with the cons because I update them a lot and it would cause coordination problems. Quote numbers get changed around and stuff like that, and people would try using the spanish language wgr2user.con from an older version and get compiler errors.

But if the translation is update I think there will be no problems, no?. I mean, for example, I translate the mod, weeks later, a new version is available, then I re-translate the mod. Anyway, is your mod (and William Gee of course), I don't want to bother you.

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 4 2011, 05:00 AM, said:

I have yet to do a GOOD version of the manual in English; most of the info only appears in game as game tips. After there is a good English version, then it would make sense to translate it.

Roger that DT, I will wait for the GOOD version of the manual. Meanwhile, I will translate the actual manual for the basic help and info.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

A bunch of stuff seemed randomly misaligned when playing in 1280x1024, like some tooltips titles.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on Mar 4 2011, 12:10 AM, said:

DT, weren't you going to make it so the view alligned sprites only rotate when you move, not when you look around as well? It seemed like a good idea, I was just wondering what happened to that.\

I used that on the dead body sprites but not on anything else.

View PostMicky C, on Mar 4 2011, 12:10 AM, said:

Edit: And I finished DanM's level. OMFG it was brilliant! TBO for the first few minutes I thought it was average by WGRealms 2 standard then it just kept getting bigger, more detailed and more hell-like. The boss fights were well done, especially the last one. Epic just got redefined!

Yes, hats off to DanM for the epicness on steroids. By the way, I don't think your method is any big secret. In fact, it's still quite possible to win with a different method. Try playing using the Revenge pow meter (it goes up when you take damage instead of when you cause damage). I made a movie of that level which I will probably upload soon.

I'm halfway through the first level of WGRealms 1 now, and I have to say all new maps so far are completely up to the high standards of the WGRealms 2 mod. And there are great new coded features too.

Thank you and good luck with the rest of the episode.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Next should be WGR3 Medieval Attrition.

User is offline   Stabs 

heh i did utter chaos in about 3 weeks, i just wanted a wgr level that didnt hold back on anything, monsters or weapons , actual eduke changes where made to make the last fight run better, dt did a ton of work getting the sky code to work right in how it kills you, its more complex than it would seem, and esp how he got the monsters to stick to the ceiling was brilliant.

• Honored Donor

I was trying to start a multiplayer game of WGRealms 2 over my LAN network and while a connection was successful and the host was able to enter a game, for the client it just froze/crashed. I'm guessing that WGRealms 2 doesn't support muiltiplay yet, which makes sense because the eduke32 multiplayer code hasn't been finished yet.

But I can't help but think how great it would be if there was some co-op, and maybe dukematch, but co- op would lbe amazing with maybe one player as duke and one as jedric and killed monsters drop ammo for both or something. It'd certainly increase the replayability and variety of the TC.
I know that the commander's red alert mod works with multiplayer so it's possible, and I think I've seen videos of AMC TC dukematch with different playable characters but only DT knows how much work would be involved (which is probably a lot) so it's down to him whether it's worth it or not.

Edit: Think about releasing POW on other players! muahahahahaha

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The original WG maps are multiplayer compatible, but the code DT may have used can/could cause problems.
For example, when you use the shotgun zoom feature, this actually increases the size of Duke Nukem.
Press F7 while using alt fire to see what I mean, depending on how that was coded it can cause any other players in game to increase in size no matter what weapon they are holding.

EDIT: When WGR2 was still in the making before the original release both William and I would test this online and it worked great.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 04 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sorry, but multiplayer support will have to wait until another version comes out. There are more maps in the works, so there will be another big update. Maybe this summer.

• Honored Donor

I'm not sure if this has already been implemented in some way, if it has, I haven't noticed it. I was thinking it would be neat if Jedrick Demonhorn was able to decapitate the pigcop replacement (whatever they're called, it's tile 2000) with his hand to hand combat weapons similar to how Duke can do headshots with the shotgun in sniper mode. Maybe something like there's a random chance (like 1/20 for example) that Jedrick will land a critical hit, and cut the recipient's head off. That's my two cents of a suggestion for the next update.

By recipient do you mean all monsters? Well if you do then i suggest that it is only possible with weaker enemies or non-bosses. But it's a good idea :)

• Honored Donor

I was thinking only the monster that Duke can sniper the head off of since it already has the code and animations and hopefully won't be that difficult to achieve.

• Honored Donor

Hey DT, I remember for one version of the mod, the character selection screen had a 3rd character, a female (looked like she'd be a wizard like Axon, but without as many clothes :(). I assume no code was done for her, but will the 3rd playable character ever be introduced to the TC?

Edit: I can easily see one of the weapons being something similar to DukePlus's gravity gun, where you can draw enemies in before meleeing them, or kill them by throwing them into a wall or into other enemies. Or picking up a whole bunch of enemies at once and requiring the player to move the mouse up and down to mash them against the floor maybe.

Either way, a 3rd playable character would be a cool edition and definitely add to the replay value considering the large, and possibly growing, amount of maps.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I would like to be able to add that character, but unfortunately I have no one to make the art for her. At the time, I thought I had someone lined up for that, but it fell through. Mainly what I need is new hud art (for her hands, weapons, etc.) and of course character art for F7 mode. There's some ripped art I could use for the latter, but really I would prefer something original.

For now, I would rather spend my time on improving the existing features and adding new stuff for mappers to play with than spend time coming up with a new playable character.

• Honored Donor

I've kind of been thinking of a new gameplay mechanic in the same league as collecting souls for souldoors and money for chests: Activation by POW.

I thought it would be cool if the player could step into a sector (like the jump boot charger), spawn some particle effects, and require the player to press 'r' or whatever the POW button is, and give up a certain amount of spirit energy to activate something.
This opens up many possibilities: A player could use "POW" to blow a hole in a wall, an inactive teleporter could be placed in the sector so that the POW activation will teleport the player, and the spirit energy could also be used to open 'magically sealed' doors.

The problem is this effect isn't strictly necessary, and might require additional things like POW vials, and the respawn sprites from DukePlus that have lots of respawn options like spawning enemies every 2 minutes. I wouldn't use the effect in the map I'm currently working on, but I thought it'd be something neat to do in possible future maps.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have no problem with adding new stuff, but it needs to be done in a way that does not overcomplicate or cause confusion. POW is generated by combat and used for combat and I think it should stay that way.

There's a feature that James put in AMC TC which I think would be cool in WGR2. Some structures have cables running between them, and the player can use a hook to slide down them (kind of like a tram without the cart to ride in). It would add a swashbucking touch and would fit in well thematically.

For something more magical, I could add jump pads like the ones in DukePlus. I've always thought that long distance jump pads are a lot of fun -- like going on an amusement park ride. And they could be useful for a lot of things, if used creatively. For example, there could be a map consisting of several islands all surrounded by lava, and you have to use jump pads to get from one island to another.

I will of course add ladders, as you requested.

The exploding barrel type sprites from regular Duke 3D are still in there, and they could easily be replaced with medieval versions. Using exploding barrels to blow up cracks or kill monsters next to them is a classic that never gets old, and it's not used much in Duke (as compared to Doom).

I post more if I think of something.

• Honored Donor

I think the barrels (as opposed to the C9 canisters) found in babe land would suit a medieval environment.

And as for the hook to slide down, that would actually fit in really well in the map I'm working on, where Duke is required to find his way across some village rooftops to get to a certain area, so I'll look forward to seeing that update :(

Edit: while I'm posting; is it possible to give sound sprites an activation, so that they can be triggered in addition to starting when the player steps in their sector?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

So is the new WGRealms release still planned to use 3D models and polymer lights, or is it back to 8-bit again?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostSpeedy Eggbert, on 12 April 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

So is the new WGRealms release still planned to use 3D models and polymer lights, or is it back to 8-bit again?

DanM maps makes full use of polymer and TROR as well as Micky's map

My episode is meant to be played with polymost and it does use models where they fit.

User is offline   Mark 

My 2 unofficial addon maps use Polymer and models. IIRC I used a lot of sprites to create TROR type stuff and the maps aren't super dark so they might be playable in Polymost. They just won't look quite as good.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

What do you mean "unofficial"? They aren't planned to be part of the next WGRealms bundle?

Btw, aren't you guys going to go with a new name for the next release? No sense in calling it WGRealms, when WG isn't making maps for it anymore.

• Honored Donor

We've got a new name for it, just not sure whether we should say it publicly or not (although it probably doesn't make much difference).

I don't know why Mark calls his maps unofficial, they'd probably end up in an episode with the release.

User is offline   Mark 

Its because of a technical reason that I won't bore people with here. I sent you a pm Micky.

User is offline   xenoxols 

Re you guys still taking suggestion?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postxenoxols, on 28 August 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Re you guys still taking suggestion?

Why?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options