Duke4.net Forums: Suggestions and other feedback - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestions and other feedback  "Please post bug reports in the bug report thread"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 26 2011, 02:17 PM, said:

I have an idea for a new feature but I wanted to write about it before I start adding it. I'm not 100% sure it is a good idea.

I don't use POW that often, but every time I do I keep thinking it'd be great to have something similar to the features you just described.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If I use my POW if I have 200 stored compared to having 100 stored would there be any difference in the time it lasts for?
I have not tested this yet, but if there is no difference in time it lasts then I believe that the more you have the longer it should last for.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 27 2011, 01:50 AM, said:

If I use my POW if I have 200 stored compared to having 100 stored would there be any difference in the time it lasts for?
I have not tested this yet, but if there is no difference in time it lasts then I believe that the more you have the longer it should last for.

Having POW above 50 gives you a cushion so you can absorb more damage without losing your best pow. It has no effect on how long it lasts.

So when playing on POC it is some what a waste in saving past 50 POW. :P

Do the sprites between 4182 and 4227 do anything?
I was thinking these could be used for good traps in my map etc, but they don't appear to do anything.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The traps are not coded.

User is offline   Forge 

"Finished" the third episode. (not really)

I couldn't beat the final boss (more like I didn't have the patience to keep trying over and over until I finally do).

Took me quite some time just to figure out how to hurt it. Then when it kept regenerating and the environment got hostile and limited the ability to keep enough distance from it in order to hurt it without not being killed myself, I gave up around the "black and transparent" (3rd?) phase.

Some people might enjoy this kind of final battle, but it's rather not to my liking.

Overall the maps are balanced well enough.

The only other "glitch" I noticed was this sector when being fired upon from the sector the screen shot was taken from. Note the bullet holes in the sky, but none in the enemy.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Spoiler

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 27 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Hmmm.
What made me quit was:
What I was perceiving as it regenerating.
It also seemed to have two different kinds of "projectile" attacks. One style appeared to be like white fireballs and came straight on. The other came in low along floor (like arcs of lightning), were rather more difficult to defend from, and did alot more damage. I seemed to get quite a bit of the later, and in two or three hits, I was dead.

Aren't you supposed to be a playtester? How come you quit so easily?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJhect, on Feb 27 2011, 02:12 PM, said:

Going back to your trolling ways?

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 28 2011, 12:02 AM, said:

Going back to your trolling ways?

I was asking a question, stop being a bitch.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJhect, on Feb 27 2011, 05:12 PM, said:

I quit after over 30 minutes of fighting with an enemy I can't perceive that MY skills can beat. I've gotten frustrated, but I would not suggest changing anything just because I am having troubles with the last boss. I will probably take a break from it for a day or so while I visit with my family who are here from up north, think about some different tactics, and then come back and take another shot at it.

Now go try your little troll skills elsewhere since you didn't get the response from me you wanted.

View PostJhect, on Feb 27 2011, 06:06 PM, said:

I was asking a question, stop being a bitch.

Maybe if you didn't ask your questions like an ass trying to take a jab at somebody, you wouldn't get the responses you do. But then, that's probably what you want.

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

To be honest, i wasn't trying to troll at that post lol.

But anyway doesn't really matter.

I got the answer that i wanted. Thank you for answering.

May i ask how you see my first post here as a troll post? Because all i see is a question about why you quit the boss easily. You choose if you want the post to be offensive or not.

If you took it as trolling, then im sorry.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Hey Dan, could you to implement ladder effect like in Dukeplus? I'm making a series of maps with towers that the player needs to climb up.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNorvak, on Feb 27 2011, 05:32 PM, said:

Hey Dan, could you to implement ladder effect like in Dukeplus? I'm making a series of maps with towers that the player needs to climb up.

OK, I'll add ladders after this big release is out. Right now I'm focused on that.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 27 2011, 07:50 PM, said:

OK, I'll add ladders after this big release is out. Right now I'm focused on that.

Thanks, what a shame i started to map at this point and those maps won't be on this release. :P
Maybe another release in the future? there's still an unused unlockable character...

User is offline   Forge 

Finally slowed down enough to pay attention to what was getting me dead so fast during the boss battle (my family went to the store)

POW was getting me killed.

No POW, the boss' fireballs would do about 10-20 damage.
POW used, the boss' fireballs would do 80-90 damage.

I used POW and stood back to see if everything was working like it should (didn't fire or fight, just kept away from the boss), and died with a quickness.
Decided not use POW to better see what was killing me, and that's when I noticed the huge difference in damage I was taking.
(Verified the results a few more times)

POW settings:

Reflect Damage
Regeneration
Super Armor
Blade Vortex
Summon Axon

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It could be a bug with reflect damage. Change the first pow to something else and see what happens.

EDIT: Yeah it is reflect damage. Thanks for the bug report! You earned your virtual pay as a beta tester today. :P
I was putting damage in a variable, multiplying it by 8, and sending back to the monster. So far, so good. But I forgot that the same variable was used later in the code to process other damage effects, so in many situations the player would take x8 damage when reflect damage was on. I'll upload fixed code later.

EDIT2: The reason I hadn't noticed it before was that I usually use reflect damage with leech. Leech works off of reflected damage as well, so a lot of life would come back and mask the extra damage the player was taking (although there were a few times I got killed very quickly and it did seem odd).

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 27 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostForge, on Feb 28 2011, 03:16 PM, said:

POW settings:

Reflect Damage
Regeneration
Super Armor
Blade Vortex
Summon Axon

I use very similar POW settings and I beat that boss after about 3-4 tries, I wounder how much easier it would have been if the reflect damage wasn't messed up at the time.

And with the screenshot Forge posted above I found that slightly annoying, I wasted 10 rockets till I realised what was going on.

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 28 2011, 02:50 PM, said:

I too would find this a plus, if you would like I could also code them traps I spoke about above to do something if it's not on your to do list.

View PostJhect, on Feb 28 2011, 11:12 AM, said:

Someone is sad that they are not a beta tester.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't know what can be done about hitscan weapons not working properly from that ledge. It seems to be more of a game engine issue.

Reflect damage is a poor choice in a boss battle even when it is working properly, because a boss has so many hit points that when you reflect x8 damage back to him, he would still have to kill you several times over before it hurt him seriously. It's great for non-bosses who shoot at you from far away, though.

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 1 2011, 06:19 AM, said:

I don't know what can be done about hitscan weapons not working properly from that ledge. It seems to be more of a game engine issue.

Check the Corrected maps thread.

User is offline   Scott_AW 

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but when you release a trapped spirit and you're fighting against one of those fire encircled mage's, they can get stuck in a perpetual loop of teleport, hit, teleport...

I had to kill them both with those bad ass pipe bombs.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostScott_AW, on Mar 2 2011, 11:01 AM, said:

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but when you release a trapped spirit and you're fighting against one of those fire encircled mage's, they can get stuck in a perpetual loop of teleport, hit, teleport...

I had to kill them both with those bad ass pipe bombs.

The teleport lock bug was fixed a few days ago. If you use the code included with the latest revision of DanM's map in the private forum, that is fixed along with some other issues. I've also added a new feature.

Thats odd, thought I was up to date. I started a new game based off the uploads on the private form as of two days ago.

Also I noticed that at one point there chests were 8-way sprites instead of models/voxel, I believe in the 4th map on the WGRealms Episode...or 3rd. Whichever 'Back to Nature' is.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostScott_AW, on Mar 2 2011, 08:05 PM, said:

Thats odd, thought I was up to date. I started a new game based off the uploads on the private form as of two days ago.

It may have been changed less than 2 days ago. I know it was very recent. Assuming you are talking about the _mage_ getting stuck in a teleport loop, then I'm sure it was fixed.

View PostScott_AW, on Mar 2 2011, 08:05 PM, said:

Also I noticed that at one point there chests were 8-way sprites instead of models/voxel, I believe in the 4th map on the WGRealms Episode...or 3rd. Whichever 'Back to Nature' is.

That happens if you are using Polymer, since Polymer does not support voxels.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 02 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

Okay, then it must be eduke32 being weird, as I didn't set Polymer, but I think I'm using a old version for it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostScott_AW, on Mar 2 2011, 08:47 PM, said:

Okay, then it must be eduke32 being weird, as I didn't set Polymer, but I think I'm using a old version for it.

The other possibility is that the wgr2.def file was not loaded, so it was defaulting to the sprite chest. But in that case you would have noticed the low-res ugly fonts, etc.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 3 2011, 05:40 AM, said:

the code included with the latest revision of DanM's map in the private forum

How's the progress of DanM's map coming if you don't mind me asking?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's finished.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options