Duke4.net Forums: Convert WMV to PCX? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Convert WMV to PCX?

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

I've been bored, so I thought I'd give this a try. I wanted to replace the nuke logo from Duke3D with the newer version from Duke3D on XBLA, so I found a program to convert between PCX and ANM files on the Duke RTCM, now I need to know how would I convert a video of WMV to a bunch of PCX files to convert it to ANM to put it into the DUKE3D.GRP. Anyone know any programs?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

No offence, but after you have converted the video to PCX format all detail would be removed and end up looking like the original one, as ANM files are only limited to 256 colours.

What we need is eduke32 to support video, I have suggested many times of using Theora http://www.theora.org/
As it is open sourced and really shouldn't be that hard at all to implement.

I also stand by my offer of $100 for who ever can implement this into eduke32 first.
(Who wants $100 Plagman, TX, Helixhorned?)

EDIT: One work around that I have used for now is to convert a video into a bunch of .png/32bit images and define these in DEF and create a simple actor that plays the ACTION of all the images and the sound at the same time.
I aligned this actor in a black room and took all the controls away from the player etc and it plays just like a real video.

But this method really is tedious and wastes to much space and art tile space. :blink:

This post has been edited by The Commander: 10 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

User is offline   Hank 

To the first post
Corel Video Studio, it's cheap nowadays, advantage convert straight to jpeg images, pick and choose, and convert to whatever. Costs, but considering the second post :blink:

to the second post
strange way to motivate voluteers, 100 is nothing, reward 0, does not help the game engine. How about: Let them find the right plug-in and you voluteer to make something with it. Just a thought. :blink:

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 November 2010 - 05:27 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The WebM codec produces better video than Theora IIRC. Also, I may work on this in coming years.

• tile 1018

*sigh, figures. Wish I had money to buy these things, I'm too young to have a job, and I can't even get one because I'm in school. Oh well. Anyway, I've never created a video player, but I doubt it would be too hard to implement in eduke32. I wouldn't mind the PNG thing, what about the Duke Nukem 3D HRP title screen?

Posted Image

Doesn't the "Duke Nukem 3D" and the "Atomic" logo fly forward? Do the PNG files replace the the PCX files in the ANM file? If that were the case, I could create a blank ANM file with a enough PCX files and have it replace it. Am I wrong?

ANM has a maimum of 255 images and runs at 15 Fps. I can convert the files for you if you really want them (I already have to .PNG for something I was doing), but I dunno what you could do with it.

• tile 1018

Sure I'll send you it VIA PM. Thank you.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSpirrwell, on Nov 11 2010, 12:35 PM, said:

*sigh, figures. Wish I had money to buy these things, I'm too young to have a job, and I can't even get one because I'm in school. Oh well. Anyway, I've never created a video player, but I doubt it would be too hard to implement in eduke32. I wouldn't mind the PNG thing, what about the Duke Nukem 3D HRP title screen?

http://www.openmovieeditor.org/

the most powerfull open source video editor out there. If you are into developing, this one will get you going into the right direction, methinks. - To go from WMV to PCX or whatever, you need to select every frame, but you could write a script with say xml. Once you did your script, the eduke programmers might be able to include those scripts into their engine. Yes, this is complicated, but ... Spirrwell will be a house hold name, just like TX, Plagman or MBlackwell :blink:

• tile 1018

View PostHank, on Nov 11 2010, 06:28 PM, said:

http://www.openmovieeditor.org/

the most powerfull open source video editor out there. If you are into developing, this one will get you going into the right direction, methinks. - To go from WMV to PCX or whatever, you need to select every frame, but you could write a script with say xml. Once you did your script, the eduke programmers might be able to include those scripts into their engine. Yes, this is complicated, but ... Spirrwell will be a house hold name, just like TX, Plagman or MBlackwell :blink:

Haha, I'm a long way off from being that good, I'm just lousy fourteen year old right now. No matter how many languages I learn or have learned, it doesn't determine how good I am. I mean seriously, I just only last week figured out how to compile eduke32, and only with an Ubuntu Live CD. Maybe next year I'll be good enough to take on the project of creating something for eduke. Right now I'm not. The most I can do in 3D is create a camera, create a model, and import that model to be used. Just a couple of months ago I was in 2D, so maybe in a couple more I'll be better, but it's most likely a year before I get there.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The Title Screen isn't an .anim. The only .anim's are the nuke logo, Episode 2, 3, and 4 outros, and the Episode 4 intro.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSpirrwell, on Nov 11 2010, 11:35 AM, said:

what about the Duke Nukem 3D HRP title screen? Doesn't the "Duke Nukem 3D" and the "Atomic" logo fly forward?

:blink:

The title screen is not an ANM. It uses art tiles.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd by the Captain.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 11 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

• tile 1018

Well, that sucks.

• Weaponized Autism

Not really. When an event is added to draw to it from CON, it will incinerate any benefits an ANM would have to offer. (Especially since LOGO_FLAGS already exists.)

• tile 1018

View PostHendricks266, on Nov 11 2010, 09:44 PM, said:

Not really. When an event is added to draw to it from CON, it will incinerate any benefits an ANM would have to offer. (Especially since LOGO_FLAGS already exists.)

Does that mean I was technically right?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In case anyone was still wondering, Zoom Player has a good function for converting frames of a video to individual pictures. I used this recently to capture the frames from the digitising videos 3DR released ages ago. If you've downloaded the CCCP you should probably have Zoom Player already.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 13 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I use FFmpeg for all of my conversion and extraction of frames. It's very handy, considering it's GPL and supports every freaking format under the sun.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 14 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

I'm still using Ulead PhotoImpact 7, Ulead VideoStudio 6 SE and Ulead Gif Animator 5 - Probably the best £15 I ever spent. It is actually the GIF Amimator that I use to convert to frames, basically I convert the video to AVI (Lossless) and it can be opened with the GIF Animator, I can then export the frames.

Strangely enough I only found this by accident because there is no mention of it being able to open .AVI files, nor does it have them in it's list of supported file formats in the "Open" dialog.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options