Duke4.net Forums: Converting model formats - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting model formats  "3ds ---> md3"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Hi there!

I hav a little question: What´s the easiest way to convert .3ds and .max formats to md2/md3 models?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Norvak: 29 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

I use Milkshape 3D because it has codable plugins and already has plugins for like every format known to fish. If you don't wanna spend the ~$35 or how much for it, you can e-mail me the files and I'll convert to MD2 or MD3 for you. I cannot remember if the Shareware version has the exporting locked. If not you can just use that though. ^^

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 29 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You cannot convert .max to anything unless you have 3ds max. I hate that format because no other program (read: program that doesn't cost money) can open it.

.3ds is just fine though. NPherno's MD3 Compiler is a good tool.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 29 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

• Music Producer

Ok thanks, i´m using few tools and software (like milkshape, and Nphermo´s) but a hav many 3ds models i can´t export. Ain´t shure you Jinroh would convert all those models, maybe i could chose the usefull ones and send them to u. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostNorvak, on Oct 30 2010, 03:20 PM, said:

Ok thanks, i´m using few tools and software (like milkshape, and Nphermo´s) but a hav many 3ds models i can´t export. Ain´t shure you Jinroh would convert all those models, maybe i could chose the usefull ones and send them to u. Thanks!

Well I don't know where you are in your model conversion, but I use a combination of Misfit Model 3D and Blender. I just started working with them and Unity today, but I think that it accepts .3ds files, .max I'm not sure.
Edit: Blender does, but Blender doesn't support .md3 it does support .md2, I use Misfit Model 3D for .md3.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 31 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I remember someone used Blender to make models for Duke3d...

View PostDavoX, on Nov 2 2010, 02:33 PM, said:

I remember someone used Blender to make models for Duke3d...

Duke HRP packs have many models made from Blender to md3/md2

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

View PostSpirrwell, on Oct 31 2010, 02:28 PM, said:

Well I don't know where you are in your model conversion, but I use a combination of Misfit Model 3D and Blender. I just started working with them and Unity today, but I think that it accepts .3ds files, .max I'm not sure.
Edit: Blender does, but Blender doesn't support .md3 it does support .md2, I use Misfit Model 3D for .md3.

There is an md3 export script for Blender that i use.
It's called "md3-exportplagman.py". I wonder who wrote it... :(

Dump it into your script folder, highlight your mesh(es) in object mode and export.
I must confess i do not pay much attention to the options that it offers in the export dialogue (various checkerboxes).

One thing that is important:
You can change the amount of frames that it exports by opening the script in a text editor.
Then look for the line:
NUM_FRAMES = 138 ((right now it's set to 138 frames))
It's near the start of the document.
Change it to the number you want and just save.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The saddest part is that I didn't actually write it, it was the one from Bob Holcomb's website with a few modifications from me IIRC.

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Whoops, my bad!

• tile 1018

Yeah, how do I edit the amount of frames exported when I'm exporting FBX? I can only get it to export one frame no matter what I do.

View PostSpirrwell, on Nov 2 2010, 08:28 PM, said:

Yeah, how do I edit the amount of frames exported when I'm exporting FBX? I can only get it to export one frame no matter what I do.

That's part of the pain with the conversion, most converters can lose the animations.
If you can 'borrow' a copy of 3ds or try downloading a trial copy the internal fbx exporter from 3ds is the best chance to convert the model correctly.

• tile 1018

View Postcanada4duke, on Nov 3 2010, 08:34 AM, said:

That's part of the pain with the conversion, most converters can lose the animations.
If you can 'borrow' a copy of 3ds or try downloading a trial copy the internal fbx exporter from 3ds is the best chance to convert the model correctly.

Yeah, but then how am I going convert to be usable in 3ds? It doesn't allow md3 or md2. Is there a script for it or something?

View PostSpirrwell, on Nov 3 2010, 01:14 PM, said:

Yeah, but then how am I going convert to be usable in 3ds? It doesn't allow md3 or md2. Is there a script for it or something?

Well md3 and md2 use an animation that is also not supported by many new model formats, most need skeletal animations.
Might end up needing to take the first (or best frame) then use a program like Blender to reanimate using skeletal animation.

Unity will take blender files easily as long as you have it installed

View PostSpirrwell, on Nov 3 2010, 01:14 PM, said:

This will help with unity-md3s and bsp maps

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/52524-MD3...highlight=QUAKE

-
md3/md2/ into 3ds are a royal pain in the a$$
no real easy way to do it

• Music Producer

Ok ok... Thanks for the info :blink: . Gonna to try it when hav some time!

User is offline   Gambini 

.obj files happen to be a very universal format. I use to export to md3 using 3ds but always use pherno´s md3 to rename frames.

• Music Producer

View PostGambini, on Nov 8 2010, 07:33 PM, said:

.obj files happen to be a very universal format. I use to export to md3 using 3ds but always use pherno´s md3 to rename frames.

Ok, i don´t hav any experience on model formats, my question is: How can i know the name of the desired frame and how to rename it?

User is offline   Gambini 

As far as i recall, when you export a file from 3ds all the frames are named identically "(from 3ds)" or such. Then, you can open the model using Npherno´s Md3 and rename them. You´ll recognize which frame is the one you want because when you click on it the model will play the animation. It´s a hit and fail work that -depending of the amount of frames- should not take you more than a few minutes.

• Music Producer

View PostGambini, on Nov 8 2010, 08:48 PM, said:

As far as i recall, when you export a file from 3ds all the frames are named identically "(from 3ds)" or such. Then, you can open the model using Npherno´s Md3 and rename them. You´ll recognize which frame is the one you want because when you click on it the model will play the animation. It´s a hit and fail work that -depending of the amount of frames- should not take you more than a few minutes.

Okay, that´s the trick... thanks

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options