• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Next Gen  "Next gen nukem"

User is offline   The Duke2 

Wow i can't wait to play that

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14988-duke-n...ake-looks-sick/

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

It may be some time from now if ever, but I think it looks good and hope it's just as playable. Guess we'll see.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

My understanding is that his has not been given the green light from Scott or George.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Sep 28 2010, 11:03 PM, said:

My understanding is that his has not been given the green light from Scott or George.

It has, but not yet by T2.

User is offline   Stabs 

technically they are just maps and if DNF has editing capabilities he can use those resources to just create "30 maps" that by pure coincidence mirror duke3ds map line up in terms of location :)

no green light needed there

This post has been edited by DanM: 28 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

You need green light. 3dr blocked Duke3d remake on Source.

User is offline   Stabs 

he would need a green light if he intends to make his own duke specific based resources and use dukes voice , aliens and weapons but If the DNF editor already freely provides these all he would need to do is map & it sounds like he wants to rework certain sections so they wont be 1:1 maps aswell

3dr dont own 30 maps in a row in a certain order based on certain locations.

He should wait and see how editing for DNF pans out

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Looks like shit because the shots have nothing in them to even remind you of Duke. Can't just make a rooftop and a prison yard that look absolutely nothing like those in Duke 3D and say "look, it's Duke Nukem remade!" just because Duke also had a rooftop and a prison yard.

That would be like saying HALO is a remake of Doom because they're both guys in green suits with helmets.

I fail to see what they were trying to go for with this myself, though it is early days and it might turn out good if it gets the go ahead.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

The only way it would work is if this project were completely non-profit, I don't know what the deal is, but I've read the UDK license, and I have a bit of knowledge as to how these things play out. Who knows, maybe they might try to turn it into a profit to get Duke back on track. Definitey would be worth it, and fresch definitely would need a team. Well I'm off to learn UDK, I've used it before, I might be able to help, I just haven't learned it 100%. Either way, it's incredble.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTX, on Sep 29 2010, 03:12 AM, said:

Looks like shit because the shots have nothing in them to even remind you of Duke. Can't just make a rooftop and a prison yard that look absolutely nothing like those in Duke 3D and say "look, it's Duke Nukem remade!" just because Duke also had a rooftop and a prison yard.

^ I agree, it looks like shit, nothing like the original.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

It's dirty unreal duke3d.

Can't hold a candle to the purity of the high resolution pack.

Wish him all the best with the project. It might turn out decent enough to try, once. He'll need a good team.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTX, on Sep 29 2010, 02:12 AM, said:

That would be like saying HALO is a remake of Doom because they're both guys in green suits with helmets.

This.

Not to mention, it's actually pretty ugly as well.

User is offline   The Duke2 

I think high pack sucks but I do like duke plus that was in it having 7 duke bots was alot of fun but they do have a bug in them

when the duke bots are in the aliens eyes the aliens do nothing but just sit there and the duke bot are just walking all over the place i really think who ever made should fix the problem

View PostThe Duke2, on Sep 29 2010, 10:25 PM, said:

I think high pack sucks

You obviously don't keep up to date, the HRP has improved alot.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 29 2010, 09:38 PM, said:

You obviously don't keep up to date, the HRP has improved alot.

It's a matter of personal taste. :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Don't be unfair, the screenshots are fairly reminiscent of Duke3D levels. He DID say he wanted to re-imagine the game instead of simply remake it, after all. Much like Black Mesa Source, which also doesn't really look like the original in the same fashion.

And the HRP is nice, but it's still the Build engine. Looks too simple. Not that I'm knocking it at all...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

User is online   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Sep 30 2010, 08:11 PM, said:

Don't be unfair, the screenshots are fairly reminiscent of Duke3D levels. He DID say he wanted to re-imagine the game instead of simply remake it, after all. Much like Black Mesa Source, which also doesn't really look like the original in the same fashion.

I think the HL2 of Duke3D remake is better than those screenshots... :)
(Well, it's still too early to say anything, but if he/they made it, I'll give a try with it.)

Those screenshots are not bad I must say, but if no one said they're Duke3D remake and no any Duke3D reference in those screenshots, I think they're just some random projects or something shitty as many concept/alpha projects.

Looks like shit, maybe... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 30 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Wow another modder looking to branch out into a non build engine and remake duke with a modern feel.
Imagine my surprise when the eduke-hrp users on here jump all over him.

Stand back give him a chance, sometimes you need to STFU stand back and let a guy stand on his own two feet or fall flat on his face.

My 2 cents.
Good luck with the Next Gen!!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postcanada4duke, on Sep 30 2010, 10:42 AM, said:

Wow another modder looking to branch out into a non build engine and remake duke with a modern feel.

Stand back give him a chance, sometimes you need to STFU stand back and let a guy stand on his own two feet or fall flat on his face.

My 2 cents.

Sean Ridgeley, the author of the linked story, begins with the headline:

So long HRP, bring on Duke "NextGen"

Someone ought to explain to Sean how stupid and annoying that is. There is no way that "Duke NextGen" could replace the HRP, even if Frederik Schreiber gets a team to help him and finishes it (which is pretty unlikely). The goals of the projects just aren't the same. I'm sure Schreiber knows this; he seems like a humble and reasonable guy.

And as for this: "you need to STFU stand back and let a guy stand on his own two feet or fall flat on his face"

AFAIK people here aren't interfering with his work, or even trolling his threads. You make it sound like HRP supporters are going to go over to his house and break his computer.

View PostDeeperThought, on Sep 30 2010, 04:14 PM, said:

You make it sound like HRP supporters are going to go over to his house and break his computer.

Hmm... Not a bad idea... ;)

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 30 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

• tile 1018

I'm no moderator, but this thread is getting insanely out of control. If you're not going to like Duke Nukem Next Gen, then you might as well not like Duke Nukem Forever, because it's being made with the Unreal Engine as well, even though it is heavily modded. Either way, stop with the fighting. If not my opinion is this thread should be locked.

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 30 2010, 03:55 PM, said:

I'm no moderator, but this thread is getting insanely out of control. If you're not going to like Duke Nukem Next Gen, then you might as well not like Duke Nukem Forever, because it's being made with the Unreal Engine as well, even though it is heavily modded. Either way, stop with the fighting. If not my opinion is this thread should be locked.

What the fuck does the engine have to do with liking DNF or not?
Just because 2 games use the same engine doesn't mean that if one sucks the other one automaticly has to suck too, just because they both have Duke Nukem in their names.
Where did your retarded theory come from? Haven't you seen games made with unreal engine 3 that are great and unreal engine 3 games that suck ass before?
Also, Duke Nukem Forever doesn't make use of unreal engine 3, so you are failing twice and if you add that DNF is a game that had more than 20 million bucks spent in it's production and has been 13 years in development and is at a second dev company while this is just a MOD made by a fan, it can be said that you failed thrice!

I don't like this remake tbh. The guy that's making it can't texture for shit!
All the textures from the game look like burned wood! It's like a nuke actually exploded and burned everything to a crisp and then a huge rain soaked all the ashes and made them shiny. All of the screens suffer from dark shit textures with the ugly unreal engine 3 glow and shininess.
I think the mod would actually look better if he used the textures from the HRP and add bump maps to them.
And why the fuck are they calling it Next Gen? Does the gay unreal 3 engine look like a next gen engine to you? Last I checked, unreal engine 3 is an old ass engine that's overused in 90% of the games since 4 years now...
If he is going to keep this art style, Scott will definitely refuse him. Also wtf are we even talking about here? Why did he ask Scott in the first place?
I thought Gearbox owns Duke Nukem rights now, so shouldn't he ask them or something? Who gives a fuck about what Scott or George have to say anymore, they are technically dead. I never want to hear their incompetent names again.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 30 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postcanada4duke, on Sep 30 2010, 01:42 PM, said:

My 2 cents.

I do not like the HRP. QED.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Sep 30 2010, 09:34 PM, said:

Why did he ask Scott in the first place?... I thought Gearbox owns Duke Nukem rights now, so shouldn't he ask them or something? Who gives a fuck about what Scott or George have to say anymore, they are technically dead. I never want to hear their incompetent names again.

The guys at gearbox said they had nothing to do with the old Duke Games...

fresch said:

When Gearbox got the Duke ip, my interest was resparked, in the project
i wanted to work on the most. A next generation remake of Duke Nukem 3D.
A Duke Nukem 3D, as if the game was made today, on modern technology.

I have been reading a lot, about if i was allowed to do this, and got mixed
answers here on the forums.

I asked AdamF about it, and he told me to contact 3DRealms (Scott Miller
and George Brussard) - So i did..

Edit: You know that brings up an interesting subject, Does that mean that 3D Realms still has some of the rights to Duke Nukem?

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 30 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

User is offline   Omni 

3D Realms probably just keeps the rights to their released titles. Sorta like all of the addons to Duke and the IP nightmare. Gearbox probably prefers this so they do not have to deal with any crap 3D Realms may have done or are involved with such as Duke3D for Xbox using GPL code.

• tile 1018

View PostMr.Deviance, on Sep 30 2010, 08:34 PM, said:

What the fuck does the engine have to do with liking DNF or not?
Just because 2 games use the same engine doesn't mean that if one sucks the other one automaticly has to suck too, just because they both have Duke Nukem in their names.
Where did your retarded theory come from? Haven't you seen games made with unreal engine 3 that are great and unreal engine 3 games that suck ass before?
Also, Duke Nukem Forever doesn't make use of unreal engine 3, so you are failing twice and if you add that DNF is a game that had more than 20 million bucks spent in it's production and has been 13 years in development and is at a second dev company while this is just a MOD made by a fan, it can be said that you failed thrice!

I don't like this remake tbh. The guy that's making it can't texture for shit!
All the textures from the game look like burned wood! It's like a nuke actually exploded and burned everything to a crisp and then a huge rain soaked all the ashes and made them shiny. All of the screens suffer from dark shit textures with the ugly unreal engine 3 glow and shininess.
I think the mod would actually look better if he used the textures from the HRP and add bump maps to them.
And why the fuck are they calling it Next Gen? Does the gay unreal 3 engine look like a next gen engine to you? Last I checked, unreal engine 3 is an old ass engine that's overused in 90% of the games since 4 years now...
If he is going to keep this art style, Scott will definitely refuse him. Also wtf are we even talking about here? Why did he ask Scott in the first place?
I thought Gearbox owns Duke Nukem rights now, so shouldn't he ask them or something? Who gives a fuck about what Scott or George have to say anymore, they are technically dead. I never want to hear their incompetent names again.

My point proven. This thread is out of control. Anyway as for the engine, of course it doesn't matter as much, but there is that ccnnection. As for this being a mod made by a fan, no it isn't. A mod is something that would affect the original game, this is a remake, so a fail for you. This is just a bad case of nostalgia, people don't want to let go of the old that made the original so great. Give the game a chance, what's that saying don't judge a book by it's cover. As for games by the Unreal Engine, I've played quit a few of them, and they're all good games.

As for the textures, I assume he's using a preset of textures that are built in. Again the game isn't a mod, it is a remake. The Unreal Engine 3 doesn't suck, and the Unreal Engine 4 won't be out for 2 more years. Also Duke Nukem Forever IS using a heavily modded Unreal Engine, as discussed over at the Gearbox forums. As for Scott and George, if they were incompetent they would never be able to rise Duke Nukem or any other game at all. Also do you like Quake? You may never have seen it if it weren't for them. So stop with your ignorance and not wanting to move on.

View PostSpirrwell, on Oct 1 2010, 06:47 AM, said:

My point proven. This thread is out of control.

Why because someone called you out? This thread is hardly out of control, just because you say it is doesn't mean that it is.

This is just a bad case of nostalgia, people don't want to let go of the old that made the original so great.

Not one is having a nostalgia here, their just saying that it looks nothing like a Duke Nukem game, just looks like some generic maps for UT3.

Anyway as for the engine, of course it doesn't matter as much, but there is that ccnnection.

Bioshock and Gears of war are not same game because they use the Unreal Engine, seriously engines don't make games the developers do. If DNF is good or Bad the Engine will have little roll in deciding that.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 01 October 2010 - 05:26 AM

One more non-eduke development thread gone down in flames.
Fully explains why I moved mine off this board
Dude if you need help PM me
I've said it before and meant it - eduke/hrp - great idea 8 years ago - now its a dinosaur sinking in the tar, with just its head sticking above the surface. Somebody please put it out of its misery and push it under with your foot.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postcanada4duke, on Oct 1 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

One more non-eduke development thread gone down in flames.

No, the thread hasn't gone down in flames. It's just that you and a few other people get overly emotional.

Everyone should check out this video, it shows some progress made since the screen shots: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bMjJL6SWs_U

I agree with some of the criticisms leveled against this project, but I also see a lot of potential here. The thread over at Gearbox is already up to 22 pages, so I think it's safe to say that it's gotten a lot of people excited.

A remake of Duke 3D using a modern game engine is obviously a very different project from the HRP in many ways. Nonetheless, insofar as EDuke32 developers (including HRP contributors, mappers, etc.) want more exposure for their work, they ought to take note of what is getting people excited, and think about what they can do differently to generate that kind of excitement. The first thing that comes to mind is that we should do our own remakes of the original levels, instead of simply replacing textures and models in them. Taking full advantage of Polymer and CON scripting, the results could be very impressive. DanM's Duke Nukem Eternity project shows that this is possible. With a concerted effort, it can be taken to a whole new level. The Duke 3D community has a big advantage when it comes to doing a remake, because we already have most of the resources we need. The results may not be as pretty as what could be achieved in the Unreal 3 engine, but it could look very good and much more true to Duke.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options