Duke4.net Forums: What do you feel about Gearbox taking over? - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you feel about Gearbox taking over?  "Everything Duke Nukem"

User is offline   Outtagum 

View Postferran275, on Sep 15 2010, 01:50 PM, said:

Any way you cut it, The last time we will ever get a true to life Duke experience is if you fire up Duke Nukem 3D again, everything else, including whatever Pitchford slaps his name on, will be tainted. Could still be great, I'm not THAT grumpy :) but will be tainted nonetheless.

You are sounding more and more moronic about this as you go on.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Sep 15 2010, 09:47 PM, said:

No, I mean what I said. Triptych is a part of Gearbox. http://www.triptychgames.com/

No they are part of the TEAM that Gearbox assembled for the game, that would include Piranha Games.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostKristian Joensen, on Sep 15 2010, 03:10 PM, said:

No they are part of the TEAM that Gearbox assembled for the game, that would include Piranha Games.

They work out of the same building. I dont care about technicalities.

User is offline   Honza 

oh man, considering latest interview:

Q11. 3D Realms major IP was Duke Nukem, do you believe that at any point in
> the future (be it far or near) you'll re-obtain the Duke Nukem IP?

Unlikely. It's in great hands now, and I look forward to several
decades worth of Duke console games
released in a timely way.

Maybe after all we'll rather all stick with DN3D + HRP :)

User is offline   3dwizard 

View PostHonza, on Sep 15 2010, 02:45 PM, said:

oh man, considering latest interview:

Maybe after all we'll rather all stick with DN3D + HRP :)

Let's hope future duke games won't be console exclusives. I'm not about to play fps games with gamepads any time in the future...

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 15 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

User is offline   Honza 

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 16 2010, 12:59 AM, said:

Let's hope future duke games won't be console exclusives. I'm not about to play fps games with gamepads any time in the future...

count me in.
anyway after what they've done to multiplayer in CoD:Black Ops (players are gonna pay for MP like they do for MMORPG)...
Hopefully nobody will buy the game so they can move it to "bad move" category.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm thinking he's including the PC as a game console. That's how the video game world looks at it anyway.

View PostHonza, on Sep 15 2010, 03:15 PM, said:

count me in.
anyway after what they've done to multiplayer in CoD:Black Ops (players are gonna pay for MP like they do for MMORPG)...
Hopefully nobody will buy the game so they can move it to "bad move" category.

Cod games bore me beyond comprehension. I played the original call of duty trilogy though and I remember it wasn't that bad. From the mw series I've only had patience to play MW 1 ans for 2, I got bored and distracted by other things before I even reached halfway.
As for playing fps games online, I am extremely picky and believe it or not, my top favorite mp game is still hl1 dm. I've played pretty much everything and I have yet to enjoy an fps mp game as much as I do hl1! Who has played enough, knows what I'm talking about.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Sep 16 2010, 01:59 AM, said:

I'm thinking he's including the PC as a game console. That's how the video game world looks at it anyway.

That's total nonsense and you know it.

User is offline   Martin 

Now that the dust has kind of settled, I'm happy for Gearbox to be Duke's new home. There's a few reasons for this, but one of the biggest was Scott Miller's comments about now that the franchise is with Gearbox, we'll enjoy much more timely releases of main-event Duke games. Yeah there was the 'console' comment at the end, but whatever. Everybody pretty much knows by now that 3DR have been designing DNF around consoles for the last four or five years anyway. PC gaming is not as big as it used to be, and consoles are huge business these days. More and more big devs are dropping out from PC-only development (and increasingly dropping PC development altogether). Microsoft noticed the very beginnings of this trend years ago. Hence the Xbox. I believe Todd Hollenshead recently said something like 'People who have a top-of-the-range PC know how to use BitTorrent' when asked why Rage wasn't going to be a top-of-the-line PC-only thing. Duke would have likely gone down the console-friendly route regardless of whether he had stayed at 3DR or not. That's just how it is, these days. That's why Crysis 2 is being nerfed to work on consoles. PC gaming just doesn't bring in the moneys like it used to, unless it's a subscription-based thing like WoW or whatever.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostX-Vector, on Sep 16 2010, 07:12 AM, said:

That's total nonsense and you know it.

Yes, I do. But it doesn't mean people don't believe it.

User is offline   Martin 

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 16 2010, 01:20 AM, said:

As for playing fps games online, I am extremely picky and believe it or not, my top favorite mp game is still hl1 dm. I've played pretty much everything and I have yet to enjoy an fps mp game as much as I do hl1! Who has played enough, knows what I'm talking about.

This could easily just be personal preference/nostalgia/habit, and not actually anything to do with quality of said games. I often revert to "GoldenEye is the gratest multiplayer EVAR!", but then I have to slap myself and say "Don't be fucking stupid, Martin. It was great when it came out, but has since been bettered in every way.. several times". I think it's just a comfort thing. You feel most comfortable with a thing that had a massive impact on you, and that thing is generally the first you experienced in an area which you still cling to today, even though today's scene is different. So you were a kid and played HL1 Deathmatch, and it was the first one you played, or the first one that really took you. That kind of impact can't happen again. So you'll always hold that experience in extremely high-regard, when really it's quite out-dated. You just can't see past the nostalgia, the time and place when you first had that experience. Don't worry bro, I've been there!

This post has been edited by Martin: 20 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

View PostMartin, on Sep 20 2010, 10:49 AM, said:

This could easily just be personal preference/nostalgia/habit, and not actually anything to do with quality of said games. I often revert to "GoldenEye is the gratest multiplayer EVAR!", but then I have to slap myself and say "Don't be fucking stupid, Martin. It was great when it came out, but has since been bettered in every way.. several times". I think it's just a comfort thing. You feel most comfortable with a thing that had a massive impact on you, and that thing is generally the first you experienced in an area which you still cling to today, even though today's scene is different. So you were a kid and played HL1 Deathmatch, and it was the first one you played, or the first one that really took you. That kind of impact can't happen again. So you'll always hold that experience in extremely high-regard, when really it's quite out-dated. You just can't see past the nostalgia, the time and place when you first had that experience. Don't worry bro, I've been there!

No bro, I really like hl1 because of more than nostalgia. And I wasn't a kid when I first played it either.
I played it obsessively and I won tournaments and prizes too. I'm ace on a few maps (crossfire map included)
Through all of the CounterStrike top years, I played hl1 and I got better at it since I never liked Cs!
There simply isn't another game that has the gameplay mechanic that hl1 dm has.
Not even hl1 dm Source is the same gameplay. If I play hl1 source that is the exact same game but moved over to source engine by valve, the gameplay is 70% different!
Nostalgia has nothing to do with this game in my case.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 20 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Just sounds like nostalgia mate. It's not a bad thing necessarily. If playing HL1 deathmatch makes you grin, then keep on playing it.

View PostMartin, on Sep 20 2010, 02:04 PM, said:

Just sounds like nostalgia mate. It's not a bad thing necessarily. If playing HL1 deathmatch makes you grin, then keep on playing it.

I know what nostalgia in games is. Both fps games and non fps games.
Trust me that hl1 is one of those games that never aged for me. It's not that I enjoy playing it for a bit and then I move on. I am seriously telling you that when I start playing it with a few mates, I can go on for hours having more fun than in any other fps game from today.
If I played Duke 3d mp now, I would play it for a nostalgia factor since I don't find it good at all for today's standards.
If I played quake 1 or quake 2 I would also do it for nostalgia factors. This is not the case for hl1.
Games like, Hl1 dm, Carmageddon 1, Carmageddon 2 for ex, are still unique games that have yet to be equaled or bettered in every way by new games.
When a new game manages to be everything that these games are and more, I will stop playing them and I will start looking at them with nostalgia.
Just because the graphics and physics engines have been improved 1000 times since these games were released, doesn't mean that the entire game mechanic has been equaled or bettered until now!
There is a rare breed of games that never get old and never die. Tetris is probably the best example of this list!
When you play tetris, you don't play it for nostalgia, you play it because it's a good game that never gets old or outclassed by a similar game!

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 20 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Fair enough.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I don't care if some games are console exclusives... As long as we still get our PC games as well. I mean there were already COnsole exclusive Duke games, so why is it a concern now? Zero hour? Time to kill? come on people.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 15 2010, 09:20 PM, said:

my top favorite mp game is still hl1 dm.

I'd also recommend giving HL2DM a try, it's pretty damn fun, if only Valve would update the fucking thing... It's rather unstable, and all the other source engine games got updated to Orange Box and ported to Mac, except HL2DM. That is unfortunate.

I had a purely oldschool server for it, but due to Valve somehow breaking their linux servers and not fixing them, the server crashed and restarted every few Maploads. Kinda pissed me off, so I backed up the server contents, and had Kunai(Him and I both founded and are the leaders of a clan by the name of the "Shadow Mavericks") shut it down.

While it was online, there was a lot of fun to be had, and it in fact some Duke inspiration. The server was modded to have infinite sprint, double jump, Duke One-Liners every time you scored an RPG Kill, Chat Sounds, Many Maps (Including Hollywood Holocaust), Kill Sprees, Over-Exaggerated Ragdolls(Hit someone with a rocket and watch them soar into the skybox), Added Blood, and more.

What I done for that server made it one of the most fun things to play, ever. It was also funny... It's been a long time since I've had a game that made me laugh my ass off while playing it, especially online.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 21 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostStrikerMan780, on Sep 21 2010, 01:26 PM, said:

I'd also recommend giving HL2DM a try, it's pretty damn fun, if only Valve would update the fucking thing... It's rather unstable, and all the other source engine games got updated to Orange Box and ported to Mac, except HL2DM. That is unfortunate.

HL2 DM is awesome, i always try to play on servers with Duke one liners :)

View PostStrikerMan780, on Sep 21 2010, 10:26 AM, said:

I'd also recommend giving HL2DM a try, it's pretty damn fun, if only Valve would update the fucking thing...

What makes you think I didn't try it? I played it for one year when it first came out.
I even worked at one of those many crossfire maps for HL2DM with a friend in my spare time.
I am more than experienced at it, however it's a completely different game than HLDM which I still like more even to this day.
The weapons in hl2dm work completely different than in hl1dm. Also in hl2dm you have to sprint all the time, while in hl1 you can just walk much faster constantly.

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 21 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options