Duke4.net Forums: What do you feel about Gearbox taking over? - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you feel about Gearbox taking over?  "Everything Duke Nukem"

User is offline   ReaperMan 

So i just curious about how people here feel about Gearbox taking over DNF, getting the Duke Nukem IP and having most of the 3D Realms forums moved over to their site?

Personally i'm trilled about having DNF almost finished, but i'm not quite sure about Gearbox running the Duke Nukem Franchise. Don't get me wrong, Gearbox is a great development studio and probably the best choice to take over Duke Nukem since most of the ex-3DR employees work there. I guess i just don't like someone other then 3D Realms owning the Duke Nukem IP.

Also, i don't like the fact that they basically move the 3DR forums there, it seemed like an unnecessary thing to do at that time. Besides the Gearbox forums seem too busy, like there isn't really a close community like the 3D Realms forum community was.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 04 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

User is offline   Valdsator 

I agree, I don't really like Gearbox owning the whole Duke IP. Is George Broussard working with them, at least? Future Duke Nukem games might not be the same without him, even if they do come out faster. :D

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm excited optimistic. For now.

User is offline   TJR 

I'm happy as long as good games are made.

The composition of the Duke team also changed many times (note: before George Broussard and Allen Blum reshaped the series, it had been Todd Replogle's baby), so I don't think any one person can claim to be the rightful developer.

This post has been edited by TJR: 04 September 2010 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   3dwizard 

I already made a topic about this here http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2664
It more or less treats the same subject.

User is offline   Kathy 

I an happy that 3dRealms lost Duke IP. They had it coming. They owned such fantastic IP and almost ruined it.

View PostLotan, on Sep 5 2010, 03:23 AM, said:

I an happy that 3dRealms lost Duke IP. They had it coming. They owned such fantastic IP and almost ruined it.

Almost? Are we sure they didn't actually ruin it already? The way I see it, DNF is JUST pimped by Gearbox but not touched by them. So as George said, DNF is just being patched and sold by Gearbox. So the game itself is already polished and done by 3drealms and their independent devs studio.
With that in mind, having almost 200MB worth of high res screenshots of DNF + gameplay videos and other kinds of leak material on my hdd and knowing that the game is getting released with that stuff that I've already seen just a tad more polished than It was in those pics, I already fear for the sales of this game.

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 5 2010, 07:19 AM, said:

I already made a topic about this here http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2664
It more or less treats the same subject.

I want to know other people's opinion on the subject, besides that your thread is just all full of wining, bitching and moaning about how you think DNF going to suck.

User is online   Player Lin 

Agreed. I don't want to an asshole, so I think I should shut up and just wait for any official news or somethings from 3DR/George Broussard.

(And I'm lazy to register on Gearbox forum. :D)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 05 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Sebastian 

I couldn't be happier since Gearbox is my favourite game developer studio out there. As far as 3D Wizard's logic that Gearbox is just sitting on their ass with it - I don't understand what you mean. Duke Nukem Forever wasn't finished (incase you never heard) but it came a long way. Gearbox hired much of the original staff from 3D Realms to make sure it did get finished and as far as we know, only the creative director - who was a lazy fat bastard anyway - has changed but much of the original vision has remained intact.

If you want to bitch at Gearbox, send them an e-mail. You're polluting the atmopshere here.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 5 2010, 11:33 AM, said:

I want to know other people's opinion on the subject, besides that your thread is just all full of wining, bitching and moaning about how you think DNF going to suck.

I'm starting to think maybe he was right. And I'm pissed off that I think I was wrong, that never fucking happens to me.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 5 2010, 02:02 PM, said:

I'm starting to think maybe he was right. And I'm pissed off that I think I was wrong, that never fucking happens to me.

About what? Are you serious?

I don't think we have to worry about DNF. It looks like it's going to be the game we would have gotten from 3DR (and still are in a way).

Now what happens in the future...

This post has been edited by Zor: 05 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

I personally think you have to play the game before you say that its good or that it sucks. We will just have to wait and see.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Whoa, whoa, whoa..you are suggesting something logical and intelligent...where does that fit in here?

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 5 2010, 08:33 AM, said:

Very well, but don't put a subjective tag on my topic please. I tried to make that topic as objective as I could and did try to gather all the info posted everywhere and connect it to form an idea out of it and as much as it seemed to be bitching, whining and moaning the theory made by me in that topic just got confirmed by that ex DNF developer Tramell Isaac that said gearbox is whoring the game and not giving proper credit.
I was more right than I could have imagined and his blog proves everything!
So instead of ditching me, I think you should actually give me credit for being the first on the forum to actually tackle probably the most important problem that is going on right now with DNF!
Make no mistake, DNF might be getting released but right now it seems there are contradictory issues between former developers and new developers that are splitting the dnf community in a very radical way!

View PostRusty Nails, on Sep 5 2010, 10:54 AM, said:

I couldn't be happier since Gearbox is my favourite game developer studio out there. As far as 3D Wizard's logic that Gearbox is just sitting on their ass with it - I don't understand what you mean. Duke Nukem Forever wasn't finished (incase you never heard) but it came a long way. Gearbox hired much of the original staff from 3D Realms to make sure it did get finished and as far as we know, only the creative director - who was a lazy fat bastard anyway - has changed but much of the original vision has remained intact.

If you want to bitch at Gearbox, send them an e-mail. You're polluting the atmopshere here.

Dude, wake up. This is no longer a debate between me and you or us on this forum, there is a serious problem between tryptych games and gearbox and it seems it's all derived from their big egos. This is not me bitching at Gearbox or being a fanboy of 3drealms or tryptych, this is actually a problem that is causing DNF fans to start contradictory debates. I don't hate Gearbox nor 3drealms nor Tryptych and I don't intend to hate or take anybody's side but recently, a hidden war has made it's way out in the public in case you didn't hear and it doesn't sound good at all for Gearbox!
What I criticized about Gearbox based on my own views and gathered infos got confirmed by former DNF dev Tramell Isaac to be actually very real!

View PostSpirrwell, on Sep 5 2010, 11:02 AM, said:

I was right about one thing. Gearbox is whoring the game and calling it theirs even though the pc version of the game was 95% done or as Tramell Isaac put it, the game could have even been released in that stage! So what gearbox is doing now is porting the game to 360 and ps3!
Did anybody even ask himself about patches? Is gearbox really going to give us patches for this game if they are needed? Are they going to give us modding tools? As far as I noticed, gearbox captured this game as a war trophy and they also moved the 3dr forum under their full corporatist control!

That Randy Pitchford had me fooled too man, I actually shared his excitement but I somehow felt something was out of it's place when I saw him overreacting so much and bragging so much. What he has done at pax, was to brainwash everybody that was there or who saw his videos, that 3drealms is shit and Gearbox is Gold!
Tramell Isaac set it right though and told everybody how Gearbox lies and boasts with others works and doesn't give credit!
From what I read, Tramell Isaac hates Randy very bad for what he did!
What do we do? We come to this forum and start to split ourselves over gearbox and 3dr/tryptych
This is definitely not good at all!

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 05 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

It doesn't matter. The damage was done 4 or 5 years ago when they dumped it all & rebuilt it as a console game. Duke of Duty, Gears of Duke, or maybe Battlefield Duke is what they should be calling it now.

I guess I'm glad for all those developers and the years they toiled away on George's whim-of-the-month development style to finally have some closure, but the concept we fell in love with all those years ago is dead and buried.

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Sep 5 2010, 05:23 PM, said:

It doesn't matter. The damage was done 4 or 5 years ago when they dumped it all & rebuilt it as a console game. Duke of Duty, Gears of Duke, or maybe Battlefield Duke is what they should be calling it now.

I guess I'm glad for all those developers and the years they toiled away on George's whim-of-the-month development style to finally have some closure, but the concept we fell in love with all those years ago is dead and buried.

Wait, from what I understand, Gearbox is porting the game on consoles.
If this is true then doesn't this mean that DNF is a pc game at core?

• Honored Donor

The latest version of DNF is designed on the PC with console limitations in mind, as are all games these days, which is pretty much why I have little or no use for games made in the last four or five years. I understand it's the way of things and I'm in the minority here, and folks can say "it's not dumbing down - it's good design", or "it's streamlined", or "it's not 1996 anymore", but I know what I like and what I don't. Sorry if I'm just a grumpy old gamer and just don't care to "get with the times", but if it looks like duck & sounds like a duck it's a fucking duck!

Gearbox is just getting what is already a console game up & running on the consoles, that's all.

http://www.shacknews...n.x?id=23904897

Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard"

http://www.shacknews...n.x?id=23905042

That's a valid path if you can swallow the development effort to design two systems and maintain them. There are still issues with everything filtering down to a controller with 14 buttons and how to map the game to that, even on pc, where people may play with a controller. Sometimes you get mutually exclusive problems that are hard to solve. What if you need the dpad for weapon selection ala Orange Box, or Gears or something? What if you are using the dpad to select inventory items? Ok so you do a radial menu where you hold right bumper and then select guns with the left stick. But, right bumper was off hand grenades and that's the best place for it? It's a house of cards, so imo, unification is the best path. Some call it dumbing down, but really in most cases, it's just good design.

Beyond that there are design issues. IMO, combat encounters are more interesting and fun if you are given an arena and lots of weapon choices. As you move around the arena you can pick and choose what you like. The key is to offer the player lots of choices so that all play styles are supported. The player should not be frustrated at having to leave their favorite gun behind as long as you offer it again in the near future, so they can get it again. In fact, in lots of cases that's a win because you create this little feedback loop of addiciton and reward as you give them their fix

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 5 2010, 07:55 PM, said:

Dude, wake up. This is no longer a debate between me and you or us on this forum, there is a serious problem between tryptych games and gearbox and it seems it's all derived from their big egos. This is not me bitching at Gearbox or being a fanboy of 3drealms or tryptych, this is actually a problem that is causing DNF fans to start contradictory debates. I don't hate Gearbox nor 3drealms nor Tryptych and I don't intend to hate or take anybody's side but recently, a hidden war has made it's way out in the public in case you didn't hear and it doesn't sound good at all for Gearbox!

They are giving proper credit however just look, http://www.dukenukem.com/ ,see that at the bottom???

It's the fans who aren't giving the credit to 3D Realms and Triptych. Most of the duke fans are saying is " OMG, Gearbox saved the day, 3D Realms sucks". Seriously the clueless fans are the ones you should be directing your complaints at.

User is offline   Honza 

when the live stream started - it really was shock & awesome and if they had an pop-up: "Release date: 1.1.2011 preorder here - it's $50." I wouldn't wait a single second and bought it.
However now, thanks god, shock & awesome is gone and rational mind is back in business.

The latest version of DNF is designed on the PC with console limitations in mind, as are all games these days, which is pretty much why I have little or no use for games made in the last four or five years. I understand it's the way of things and I'm in the minority here, and folks can say "it's not dumbing down - it's good design", or "it's streamlined", or "it's not 1996 anymore", but I know what I like and what I don't. Sorry if I'm just a grumpy old gamer and just don't care to "get with the times", but if it looks like duck & sounds like a duck it's a fucking duck!

Don't worry - you're not alone, but we're minority. The thing is, we still kept our brains and we know exactly what we want. The problem is that majority wants to play it on xbox360 (see amazon top 25 selled videogames) and the xbox360 has a fu**ing controller, no matter how hard GB/3DR tried it has limited buttons and money talks.
At this point three days (only!) after PAX live stream and I'm very sure that they won't see a penny from me before I play at least demo or more likely final version.
I already own Call of Duty 4 and I don't need any more Duke Duty (like somebody above correctly mentioned).

Players are now sheep and sheep get slaughtered. If they don't mind and don't ask for more, well...

edit: simply speaking it's not really GBX fault - they took it from 3DR 85% finished and it was already console retarded. The Duke we are actually loooking for is DNF '98 & DNF '01, so the real miracle would be if we somehow manage to get hands on those versions.
Howgh.

This post has been edited by Honza7: 05 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

• Honored Donor

I've known it would be this way for many years now, but I guess I just dared to hope for more. I suppose on some level I had hoped it would never come out so that my memories of Duke along with my hopes & dreams for DNF wouldn't be so tarnished. I'll still buy it, as watered-down Duke is still better than no Duke at all I suppose, but the thought of what might have been will be with me as I play.

I've always thought that popularity ruins all forms of media - be it music, movies or games. But you know, I've often wondered if these consoles had never happened and by some miracle gaming was just as popular, but still on the PC, by what mechanism would the popularity have ruined gaming then? I dare think we wouldn't be saying that this slowed-down, spoon-fed, two-weapon, regenerating-health, auto-aiming paradigm was a "natural progression" of gaming, as they like to say now.

Look on the bright side, if DNF sucks there will always be Duke3D. :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm pre-ordering the deluxe edition of this game, even if it sucks, I have a connection to it. It must be done. I'm still keeping in mind that most of these nit picks probably can be fixed with mods. As long as the main game doesn't fucking suck, which it appears that it does not, then I'm okay with minor issues. At this point, I just want to see it in my hands. I don't even have to play it.

User is offline   Honza 

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Sep 6 2010, 04:34 AM, said:

I've known it would be this way for many years now, but I guess I just dared to hope for more. I suppose on some level I had hoped it would never come out so that my memories of Duke along with my hopes & dreams for DNF wouldn't be so tarnished. I'll still buy it, as watered-down Duke is still better than no Duke at all I suppose, but the thought of what might have been will be with me as I play.

I've always thought that popularity ruins all forms of media - be it music, movies or games. But you know, I've often wondered if these consoles had never happened and by some miracle gaming was just as popular, but still on the PC, by what mechanism would the popularity have ruined gaming then? I dare think we wouldn't be saying that this slowed-down, spoon-fed, two-weapon, regenerating-health, auto-aiming paradigm was a "natural progression" of gaming, as they like to say now.

Maybe, but at least we would not have ultra low res textures dated to 2004 (see xbox360 HW for reference) and there would be no reason to come up with crazy ideas like p2p multiplayer (CoD MW2) or any other crazy thought.

I'm going to eat my underwear and take it as bet, that HRP for DN3D will have better textures than this 2011 polished DNF.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Sep 6 2010, 04:37 AM, said:

I'm pre-ordering the deluxe edition of this game, even if it sucks, I have a connection to it. It must be done. I'm still keeping in mind that most of these nit picks probably can be fixed with mods. As long as the main game doesn't fucking suck, which it appears that it does not, then I'm okay with minor issues. At this point, I just want to see it in my hands. I don't even have to play it.

That's the thing on which they're betting on, however they started this "money speaks game" - so here you go:
Product not good enough? Well I'm not going to buy it, forget it. Maybe in 2012 when the price is right and the beta is done (early paying customers for their hard earned money did it), then I'll buy it.

So the game is going to cost like $25, usually comes with Steam sales in January and it will be at something like v1.52 and the cumulative patch will be about 500MB (just one).

This post has been edited by Honza7: 05 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Sep 5 2010, 10:37 PM, said:

I'm still keeping in mind that most of these nit picks probably can be fixed with mods.

This is the one beacon that gives me hope.

At this point, I just want to see it in my hands. I don't even have to play it.

I agree. How can DNF come out and I not buy it - regardless of what I think it has become?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Honza, you are a lunatic. The HRP textures suck, and I should know, I made some of them.

I agree with all points made above!
Consolitis is a nasty diesease for games and I am a doctor in spotting it!
It seems that there's absolutely no way to mediate this problem and it's simply impossible to get a game to be both pc centered and console centered without actually having 2 separate teams that produce 2 different versions of the game.
But making 2 separate versions of the game is impossible because:
1. It costs too much
2. it takes too much time
3. You need a much bigger studio
4. It's useless since pc version is going to mostly get pirated anyway so it's not worth to make one
Your safest bet to play a decent pc game without consolitis these days is to wait for those pc exclusive games made by poor developers from eastern europe.
Sometimes they work together out of passion and deliver good fps games for pc like for ex S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl or Penumbra.
Or you can always become a big fan of moddb and check out various tc mods. Sometimes they can get shaped up into really good games!
We all know that cryengine 2 is the most technically advanced game engine in the world even if it's as old as 2006, so Total Conversion mods for it sometimes look really really good.
I once saw a prototype of Hollywood Holocaust done in cryengine 2 and it looked amazing even if it wasn't even half finished.
This was it check it out
http://il.youtube.co...h?v=ESJD7cUaZTU

This goes to show that cool things can be achieved if the devs really wish for that!

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View Post3dwizard, on Sep 5 2010, 11:23 PM, said:

4. It's useless since pc version is going to mostly get pirated anyway so it's not worth to make one

Not true. There is no evidence to support that claim. Most money lost through sales to publishers is through reselling used games which happens more with console games. If someone isn't going to buy it for whatever reason, they aren't going to buy it so them pirating it isn't really a lost sale.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

Do you think DNF with have a drop down console with console commands or will it simply be a console clone like Modern Warfare 2?

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options