https://twitter.com/...294505755471873

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...110725703045128

Possibly related to:

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...453896123109376

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

If it's another Kek Engine thing, I don't have high hopes.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

R A D A Я, on 30 May 2020 - 03:19 PM, said:

If it's another Kek Engine thing, I don't have high hopes.

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

There's no correlation: https://twitter.com/...535146313973760

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

The image of Fred's post used the new (2013) RotT logo(or artwork?)

Maybe update of RotT 2013 or other new RotT game? :)

The problem is, how soon is it...? We all know that's a bad word. :P

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe a remaster. It's been....holy cow 7 years.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 May 2020 - 05:31 AM

Rad Rogers and Ion Fury have made their ways to console, maybe a current gen release of ROTT 2013? I mean, I'd buy it Posted Image

This post has been edited by KaijuTurtle: 31 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, the ROTT 2013 announcement got me excited back in the days and it turned out to be quite a disappointment. Too many mistakes were made. That excessive platforming in combination with frustrating checkpoints wasn't my cup of tea. Besides the fact it was quite bugged even after several patches, until they just gave up on it before the whole thing got actually playable. If this is a sequel to ROTT 2013, they'd better take a very different approach.

A proper HD remaster of the original or at least a proper port would be something I could subscribe to.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 June 2020 - 02:51 AM

I'm fine if they want make a RotT game with lot of nasty traps and enemy replacements, but at least give me manual saving like original DOS RotT...that's why I like, not hate the game in first place... :P

I don't dare to think about if the original RotT was so nasty like the 2013 one...maybe I may never be the fan of RotT at all... :)

User is offline   gemeaux333 

If its a sequel, is Tom Hall involved ?

User is offline   necroslut 

NightFright, on 01 June 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Well, the ROTT 2013 announcement got me excited back in the days and it turned out to be quite a disappointment. Too many mistakes were made. That excessive platforming in combination with frustrating checkpoints wasn't my cup of tea. Besides the fact it was quite bugged even after several patches, until they just gave up on it before the whole thing got actually playable. If this is a sequel to ROTT 2013, they'd better take a very different approach.

The issue I had with the platforming wasn't that it existed, but that the player physics/controls simply weren't up to that kind of gameplay. The game felt quite "random" to play in general, and not in the fun way like the original but more of the buggy variety.

If they do make a new one (plz no remaster, it's not worth it) I hope they rethink their approach to visuals. I honestly 100% think the original looks better visually than 2013 does. Works better from a gameplay perspective, too.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 02 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nu-3DR has the absolute worst fucking marketing. Either tell us what it is or shut up. It's always "we're going to announce something in the future, you just wait!" Holy fuck just keep your mouth shut until you have it ready to announce

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Maybe they should have skipped the sensitivity training and taken marketing classes instead. :)

User is offline   Phredreeke 

They need to sneak something for Resetera to be offended by into it - something like Triad Lives Matter

User is offline   Outtagum 

That would be a riot.

Has anyone here managed to compile newer ports like rottexpr or later svn revisions of icculus rott?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have searched for those by myself since ages. The only hope is that ECWolf will eventually support it or the guy who is doing the excellent BStone port for Blake Stone will take care of it eventually.

NightFright, on 15 June 2020 - 01:21 PM, said:

I have searched for those by myself since ages. The only hope is that ECWolf will eventually support it or the guy who is doing the excellent BStone port for Blake Stone will take care of it eventually.

Looking at GitHub check-ins, it looks like ECWolf hasn't really touched support for other games in 2 years and that was basic support for ROTT data files, but that is fairly basic. I really hope ECWolf or the LZWolf adds in support for other games soon.

Me too. It's an awesome port, but support to the other games lost focus due to too much effort on S3DNA, IMHO.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

AFAIK the ROTT engine is a pretty advanced version of the Wolf3D engine compared to either S3DNA (which is just Wolf3D with some modifications IIRC) or even Blake Stone. It appears like adding ROTT support to ECWolf would amount to nothing short of coding a separate source port altogether.

I wonder what's coming out of Kaiser's project? Is it ever going to be made public?

Didn't he shelf it?

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I think the main reason why ECWolf doesn't fully support ROTT yet is that ECWolf's main goal is to make every single aspect of the supported games as moddable as possible. Instead of simply inserting the C-code of the AI routines and whatnot, you would need to convert that C-code into the data structures that ECWolf is using to make the game moddable. I can imagine that for some aspects, like jumping etc., you might have to modify those data structures or maybe even redesign everything from scratch.

It would be a lot easier to just take the original ROTT source and replace all the low-level hardware code with modern libraries like SDL and leave the rest of the code untouched (except for fixing game-breaking bugs, of course). I mean, we already have a couple of (outdated) ports that did just that, don't we?

I was kind hoping for the release of Kaiser's port, why cancel it? (if true)

There is rottexpr, but the creator hasn't released any compiled binaries.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

MrFlibble, on 18 June 2020 - 04:38 AM, said:

I was kind hoping for the release of Kaiser's port, why cancel it? (if true)

AFAIK, it isn't really cancelled but it has been put on hold for an indefinite period of time. There exists an alpha build of the port on KEX discord server that was released there on or around 1st Jan (new years eve).

Well then I hope it will be released eventually!

User is offline   FistMarine 

The TCRF page mentions that v1.1 was never released.

While a v1.1 is mentioned, it seems to never have been released, jumping to v1.2 on the next release.

Is this even true? Because I actually have a shareware v1.1 release on an old CD with shareware games called Top 101 Only The Best Games #3 which can be found here:
https://archive.org/...lythebestgames3

https://riseofthetri...Triad:_Dark_War

The game itself also went through a few versions during its first year on the market...

Version 1.0 - The initial games release on December 21st, 1994.
Version 1.1 - Released on February 8th, 1995. It introduced a new problem where 4 meg machines were unable to play.
Version 1.2 - Released on February 17th, 1995 in an attempt to fix the issue the previous version brought about. The problem, unfortunately, still persisted. The registered version of the game began shipping with this shareware version.
Version 1.2a - Released on February 25th, 1995, finally resolving the issue. This is the version that the CD version was initially released with. However, another bug was discovered where players playing directly from the CD could not save their game.
Version 1.2b - Released specifically for the CD version to resolve its save issue. The site license CD was released with this version.
Version 1.3 - Released for both shareware and registered versions in August 8th and 18th, 1995, respectively. This was the final version of the game.

So the shareware version should released but since just only 9 days later the v1.2 released so maybe it became a rare copy of shareware release
(Reg. version was shipping with v1.2 if the site's info is correct...)

And the RotT shareware from that CD is sure v1.1, most of its files dated Feb 8, 1995.(the *.rot files means it was played on July 15, 1995, so it's weird why Tech Express Software used v1.1, not v1.2 or 1.2a/b just puzzled me...since v1.1 and v1.2 has the 4MB bug and even 1.2a have savegame issue for CD user, if may just pointless since they may just fix the memory bug only in v1.1...since 1.1 and 1.2 may most likely not changed too much or something as they all just "patches" for fix the serious bugs, but who knows.)
Attached File  tempxx.png (139.16K)
Number of downloads: 7

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 July 2020 - 10:08 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

Thanks for reply! I now understand that it was an actual release and that the TCRF page should be corrected, because a few years ago I decided to check that CD with games (I have quite a couple of these shareware CDs from 90s when parents bought them) to play a couple of games and noticed that ROTT shareware was version 1.1 and later when I read the TCRF page I got surprised, thinking that my version is rare or even unreleased. So thanks for clarifying, now I understood!

And yeah Tech Express Software seems to have used mostly initial/older versions of games on their CDs. For instance Doom (found on Top 101 Only Best Games #1) is shareware 1.2, while on Top 25 Only Best Games version 1.666 is included. I have another games CD (PC Power Platinum 1996) with shareware Doom 1.9 as well. So yeah I only had shareware versions of some games (including Doom) when I was kid. :) I will make a new topic for discussion regarding shareware games CDs.

Well, here's a newsgroup release announcement for shareware v1.1 by Joe Siegler: Google Groups link.

You can also grab the 1.0 > 1.1 shareware patch here.

I just took Hallfiry's CD catalogue for a little ride and can confirm the presence of shareware v1.1 on at least one other CD called D.E.R. Hurricane.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options