Duke4.net Forums: Scientist discovers the most massive star in the universe (soo far) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scientist discovers the most massive star in the universe (soo far)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

They added a (more detailed) picture of the star at close view.

Posted Image

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 24 2010, 06:38 PM, said:

There is more to the universe than our little pathetic planet, unfortunately, none of us will ever leave it.

So like nevermind that exploration of the universe have given us an insight in our own history, helped physics and chemistry research,...

What doesn't make sense is you claiming that researching the universe is "useless, it just looks cool but that's it"

User is offline   underTaker 

In case of universe and such things... I've always been wondering how the hell did they know how many years ago Big Bang happened, and actually how do they know how it all has started etc. x.X

View PostunderTaker, on Jul 25 2010, 10:58 AM, said:

In case of universe and such things... I've always been wondering how the hell did they know how many years ago Big Bang happened, and actually how do they know how it all has started etc. x.X

When did it happen? MILLIONS & MILLIONS of years ago, and why well according to my old science teacher, all matter in the universe was in a big ball and thanks to unsable gases: BANG!

View Postblackharted, on Jul 25 2010, 10:26 PM, said:

thanks to unsable gases: BANG!

Nobody knows why the bang occurred, so to blame "unstable gases" is weird. I've heard the theory that gases would actually be impossible because there was quite literally nothing, so no gases either. But... that doesn't make sense. How can nothing explode into something?

As for how they figure out how long ago it happened, even today the universe is still expanding at a certain speed. Then it's not that far-fetched to reverse that and see how long it would take for everything to get back to one central point.

But yeah I do wonder about the Big Bang.. something's just not right :) If there's one way I'd be willing to accept a deity of some sort, it's the thing that created whatever it was that exploded.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

The Universe is 14 billion years old because we can only see 14 billion light years out.

In the beginning there was nothing. Then there was something and it exploded. Gas did not exist until much later and what did exist first was hydrogen, which fused into helium, and then there were super novae that created the rest of the elements through fusion. For the first part of the life of the universe, there was just a bunch of super giant stars (probably much like the one they just discovered) that lived short lives of fusing hydrogen into helium and then exploded in super hot super novae that fused to make the heavier elements.

Sangman said:

So like nevermind that exploration of the universe have given us an insight in our own history, helped physics and chemistry research,...

Such as?

As far as physics and chemistry, I can see that because it has inspired fusion which would be nice to have as an energy source. But these things take lifetimes...ah, I shouldn't be listened to right now. RealLife is fucking with my head so I'm frustrated and kind of defeatist etc right now. We'll come back to this though. If I wasn't "distracted" I'd probably agree with you, Sangman.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 26 2010, 05:11 AM, said:

Such as?

Like how our world came to be, why certain species went extinct, etc.

View PostSangman, on Jul 25 2010, 04:16 PM, said:

Nobody knows why the bang occurred, so to blame "unstable gases" is weird. I've heard the theory that gases would actually be impossible because there was quite literally nothing, so no gases either. But... that doesn't make sense. How can nothing explode into something?

As for how they figure out how long ago it happened, even today the universe is still expanding at a certain speed. Then it's not that far-fetched to reverse that and see how long it would take for everything to get back to one central point.

But yeah I do wonder about the Big Bang.. something's just not right :) If there's one way I'd be willing to accept a deity of some sort, it's the thing that created whatever it was that exploded.

No No. According to my Science teacher everything was in a tiny ball or something and then gases started to seep out or something and then: BOOM!

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Each times a star explode a new material, gas etc is form.

Like iron didn't exist billions of year ago and when a supermassive star blew up, iron was form.

• I have the power!

View Postblackharted, on Jul 27 2010, 07:09 AM, said:

No No. According to my Science teacher everything was in a tiny ball or something and then gases started to seep out or something and then: BOOM!

Your teacher is fucking retarded. That is some sad attempt to combine New Earth Creationism and Big Bang Theory...it doesn't work because the former is flat out ludicrous and the latter is fine the way it is, if somewhat incomplete.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 27 2010, 08:32 AM, said:

Your teacher is fucking retarded. That is some sad attempt to combine New Earth Creationism and Big Bang Theory...it doesn't work because the former is flat out ludicrous and the latter is fine the way it is, if somewhat incomplete.

Right you confused the hell of of me. Whats ludicrous or whatever? Plus what my teacher said must hold some water because EVERY teacher I've had says the same and can't all be wrong.

Yeah and many people I know sadly believe Behind Blue Eyes was originally written by Limp Bizkit. That doesn't automatically mean it's true..

View PostSangman, on Jul 27 2010, 10:14 AM, said:

Yeah and many people I know sadly believe Behind Blue Eyes was originally written by Limp Bizkit. That doesn't automatically mean it's true..

Yeah it also doesn't mean a God made everything....
BTW Behind Blue Eyes by Limp Bizkit was FANTASTIC!

• I have the power!

View Postblackharted, on Jul 27 2010, 11:54 AM, said:

Right you confused the hell of of me. Whats ludicrous or whatever?

Do you own a dictionary? Anytime I use a word you don't understand, look it up.

View Postblackharted, on Jul 27 2010, 11:54 AM, said:

Plus what my teacher said must hold some water because EVERY teacher I've had says the same and can't all be wrong.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Agent K

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 27 2010, 12:40 PM, said:

Do you own a dictionary? Anytime I use a word you don't understand, look it up.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Agent K

But your overlooking that fact there's proof of the big bang.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 28 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

• I have the power!

The Big Bang Theory is not that the entire universe was in a small ball and it just expanded out rapidly. The Big Bang Theory is that all the energy in the universe was once at a single point and then it exploded eventually over the course of millenia created hydrogen which eventually created massive stars that lived for a short period of time and fused H into He and then went supernova to create other heavier elements. This process repeated over the millenia until heavier objects such as planets formed.
Your teacher(s) don't know what they are talking about and are wrong because everyone else has proof to the contrary.

Couldn't have put that better myself. The Big Bang theory is about... The bang. Whatever was there before the bang, we don't know, but I doubt it was a ball of gas (because after all gas wouldn't have existed)

View PostSangman, on Jul 28 2010, 10:03 AM, said:

Couldn't have put that better myself. The Big Bang theory is about... The bang. Whatever was there before the bang, we don't know, but I doubt it was a ball of gas (because after all gas wouldn't have existed)

Well the teacher said EVERYTHING was in a ball or some shit not just gases.

• I have the power!

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-β€˜β€. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .β€œ-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . .............. . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .β€œ~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..β€œ~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .β€œ-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .β€œ;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..β€œ~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>-

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 28 2010, 12:10 PM, said:

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-β€˜β€. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .β€œ-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . .............. . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .β€œ~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..β€œ~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .β€œ-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .β€œ;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..β€œ~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>-

A trekkie eh?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postblackharted, on Jul 28 2010, 02:32 AM, said:

But your overlooking that fact there's proof of the big bang.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 28 2010, 06:26 AM, said:

The Big Bang Theory is not that the entire universe was in a small ball and it just expanded out rapidly. The Big Bang Theory is that all the energy in the universe was once at a single point and then it exploded eventually over the course of millenia created hydrogen which eventually created massive stars that lived for a short period of time and fused H into He and then went supernova to create other heavier elements. This process repeated over the millenia until heavier objects such as planets formed.
Your teacher(s) don't know what they are talking about and are wrong because everyone else has proof to the contrary.

How about you guys actually explain this proof? All I'm hearing is just a theory of what the big bang was, but I don't actually see any proof. No matter how many people say "Oh yes the world blew up from a little ball and slowly got bigger over the course of a billion years", where's the rock-solid end-all and be-all proof?

The supernova went to create other heavier elements you say? Right, I always found it funny how we have a whole table of elements yet the only thing that is ever mentioned to be at the beginning of the universe was hydrogen and helium. Where did all the other elements come from? Oh yeah, evolution. Though I still don't get it, I imagine it would be hard as heck to get passed ones like iron.

I also thought matter cannot be created or destroyed, but only changes forms or moves energy. The big bang theory sounds a lot like matter being created as it started to move farther away, not just the transfer of energy. I know an older guy who is studying thermodynamics in college, and believes the whole big bang theory is bullocks. He said when they were teaching him this law they said "yes we know this sort of goes against the big bang theory but look at these pretty formulas on the wall they prove whatever..."

The big bang theory just needs to be revised. Or better yet, scraped all together since it doesn't seem like any hardcore proof is going to be coming any time soon.

I hope I don't sound like a blowhard or anything, I'm just trying to throw something new on the table. And I understand that I am young and may need some enlightening so please enlighten me if you will on this subject how you see fit. :)

• I have the power!

View PostRadar1013, on Jul 30 2010, 01:35 PM, said:

I hope I don't sound like a blowhard or anything, I'm just trying to throw something new on the table. And I understand that I am young and may need some enlightening so please enlighten me if you will on this subject how you see fit. :)

OK, I didn't want to make this too scientific, but you asked...

How about you guys actually explain this proof? All I'm hearing is just a theory of what the big bang was, but I don't actually see any proof. No matter how many people say "Oh yes the world blew up from a little ball and slowly got bigger over the course of a billion years", where's the rock-solid end-all and be-all proof?

Proof of the Big Bang won a Nobel. The microwave background in the universe stands as proof of the Big Bang Theory. The remnants of radiation is a sign of the early stages of the universe according to the Big Bang Theory. I don't know enough from my astronomy class last fall to repeat it all, though, so you will have to read up on it yourself.

The supernova went to create other heavier elements you say? Right, I always found it funny how we have a whole table of elements yet the only thing that is ever mentioned to be at the beginning of the universe was hydrogen and helium. Where did all the other elements come from? Oh yeah, evolution. Though I still don't get it, I imagine it would be hard as heck to get passed ones like iron.

Nuclear Fusion. That is the two word answer to this. Hydrogen is a single electron, proton, and neutron. Pressure and the heat caused by that pressure fuses two H molecules together to make Helium. This is only possible in the intense pressure and heat found in stars (for now, we are working on it). Large stars such as this super giant won't live long because there is so much pressure and heat that it converts the H to He in a few million years. Our star will live much longer because it burns slower. Stars can also fuse He to make Carbon. C can be fused to make Neon. Ne can be fused to make Oxygen. O can be fused to make Silicon. Si is fused to make Iron at the end of the life of a star (literally, like in a day). Fe can't be fused in stars because it requires a significant amount of energy to fuse and gravity wins in the end. This is where supernovae come in. Massive stars (in the beginning of the universe) collapse(d) onto their Fe core (gravity) and "bounced" out into massive supernovae. A supernova is so intensely hot that it can fuse Fe into heavier elements. A supernova sends intense amounts of energy at speeds near the speed of light outwards destroying everything in its path. In super massive stars (such as what is believed to be at the beginning of the universe) result in blackholes. A theory is that galaxies orbit around super massive black holes that were the original super giants.

I also thought matter cannot be created or destroyed, but only changes forms or moves energy. The big bang theory sounds a lot like matter being created as it started to move farther away, not just the transfer of energy. I know an older guy who is studying thermodynamics in college, and believes the whole big bang theory is bullocks. He said when they were teaching him this law they said "yes we know this sort of goes against the big bang theory but look at these pretty formulas on the wall they prove whatever..."

This is why I have no problem with the Big Bang Theory and stupid New Earth Creationists are stupid. Yes, the laws of thermodynamics says that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed. However, this is after the universe has existed. If you stick with that law, you have an eternal universe and there isn't much support for that in science. Our understanding of natural science laws is limited because it is circumstantial. There is an extremely limited amount of data we can collect relative to time and space because we are a young short lived species living on a small insignificant planet in a small insignificant galaxy.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I've always wondered about these things. Thanks for the informative reply. :)

• I have the power!

No problem. If I ever get bored of teaching religion to unresponsive college students (I'm not a PhD yet, but I'm working on it) I will probably get a MS or something in Astronomy for fun.
I really enjoyed my astronomy class in college...but it was too easy and had no math in it.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 30 2010, 11:41 PM, said:

Nuclear Fusion. That is the two word answer to this. Hydrogen is a single electron, proton, and neutron. Pressure and the heat caused by that pressure fuses two H molecules together to make Helium. This is only possible in the intense pressure and heat found in stars (for now, we are working on it). Large stars such as this super giant won't live long because there is so much pressure and heat that it converts the H to He in a few million years. Our star will live much longer because it burns slower. Stars can also fuse He to make Carbon. C can be fused to make Neon. Ne can be fused to make Oxygen. O can be fused to make Silicon. Si is fused to make Iron at the end of the life of a star (literally, like in a day). Fe can't be fused in stars because it requires a significant amount of energy to fuse and gravity wins in the end. This is where supernovae come in. Massive stars (in the beginning of the universe) collapse(d) onto their Fe core (gravity) and "bounced" out into massive supernovae. A supernova is so intensely hot that it can fuse Fe into heavier elements. A supernova sends intense amounts of energy at speeds near the speed of light outwards destroying everything in its path. In super massive stars (such as what is believed to be at the beginning of the universe) result in blackholes. A theory is that galaxies orbit around super massive black holes that were the original super giants.

You pretty much blew my mind.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The big bang wasn't an explosion.

View PostMblackwell, on Aug 4 2010, 07:01 AM, said:

The big bang wasn't an explosion.

Then why do they call it the big "bang"? :)

User is offline   Kathy 

Because one guy called it like that and the name sticked.

View PostLotan, on Aug 5 2010, 07:01 PM, said:

Because one guy called it like that and the name sticked.

In English?

User is offline   Kathy 

Two colliding galaxies.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0jpXXVWoSNk

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options