Duke4.net Forums: Scientist discovers the most massive star in the universe (soo far) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scientist discovers the most massive star in the universe (soo far)

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostSangman, on Aug 5 2010, 02:51 PM, said:

Then why do they call it the big "bang"? :wacko:

It was a pejorative that stuck. There was no "bang" exactly. Instead there's simply a rapid expansion. There was never any central explosion.

View PostMblackwell, on Aug 8 2010, 07:40 PM, said:

It was a pejorative that stuck. There was no "bang" exactly. Instead there's simply a rapid expansion. There was never any central explosion.

Of course there was :wacko:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMblackwell, on Aug 8 2010, 07:40 PM, said:

Well, if you were to take the entire original event and speed billions of years into a few minutes, you'd likely have something that looked like a massive explosion. So you "could" make that arguement if you wanted.

This is an incredible find. Just goes to show we are always learning more about this wonderous universe around us.

As far as the begining, im still a big fan of the idea that the reason we cant comprehend something before The Big Bang is because we only perceive in three dimensions, the additional dimensions would explain something beyond our known universe, and how it could affect/generate the initial matter that caused the big bang.

I heard about this thing ages ago, it's kind of cool, we know more about space than we do our own oceans (and that is true).

And if you'll let me jump in on the argument, the Big Bang Theory is a popular American sitcom that airs on E4 in the UK on a regular basis (Due to them being a cheap-ass student channel that runs constant repeats of everything that isn't Big Brother, oh, and repeats of that too).

Nah, in reality, I think that whole theory is BS, I think it's only there because people can not believe that there would exist anything outside our own universe or that maybe it all just started to exist at one point? Here is some other stuff I puzzle over on a regular basis;

What is Nothing? How would you describe it? I suppose it would be like a vaccum, sucking the universe out further opposed to the universe pushing itself out like people think?

Nah, my theory is this, something always existed, the universe before this "version" had all of it's matter pulled together slowly once a lot of stars began to die, this created large stars which pulled together and collapsed into a black hole, which swallowed everything, in the end, the vaccum force of the "nothing" surrounding the universe is greater that the gravity pulling it in - as a result it spits it back out and it keeps dissipating (with everything that we know happening) until the force of the gravity becomes stronger than the force of the "nothing" at which point, the process will repeat itself. Crap theory, but it's what I think at any rate. I believe the universe works as a loop though, if you hit one end you are at the other side of it anyway. That and you can only travel forward in time in my opinion and not very precisely either.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHigh Treason, on Aug 17 2010, 01:58 PM, said:

I heard about this thing ages ago, it's kind of cool, we know more about space than we do our own oceans (and that is true).

Percentage wise? I doubt that.

Nah, in reality, I think that whole theory is BS, I think it's only there because people can not believe that there would exist anything outside our own universe or that maybe it all just started to exist at one point? Here is some other stuff I puzzle over on a regular basis;

It is there because several theories/practices support it. And vice versa.

I believe the universe works as a loop though, if you hit one end you are at the other side of it anyway.

Big Bang Theory is not really a belief.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

We only know some things about the life that lives in a fraction of the ocean. After a certain depth, we just don't know anything except for little bits here or there when a fish from down there dies and floats up or somehow gets lost and finds it way in shallower water.
For all we know, there could be a lost city of Atlantis in the bottom of the ocean.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostLotan, on Aug 17 2010, 07:39 AM, said:

Big Bang Theory is not really a belief.

It is a belief inasmuch as we are putting our faith in our scientific observations and hoping that what we (key word) OBSERVE is fact, and that our eyes and senses are not being mislead.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Aug 17 2010, 07:02 PM, said:

hoping that what we (key word) OBSERVE is fact, and that our eyes and senses are not being mislead.

Eyes and sences? That's just retarded... If science was operating just on our vision and senses then we would still be in a dark age.

• I have the power!

Only the most abstract of science is not built at least partially on observation by us. Microscopes and telescopes are still big in science. We use more complicated ways of observing things, but we still observe, hypothesize, test, observe.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostLotan, on Aug 17 2010, 12:45 PM, said:

Eyes and sences? That's just retarded... If science was operating just on our vision and senses then we would still be in a dark age.

So you do not deny the possibility of extrasensory perception?

User is offline   Kathy 

Errr.... what? Our vision is limited. Some animals see more than us. Just using our vision we wouldn't be able to see ultraviolet light and other shit.

You know some people are capable of seeing UV light? There's a famous artist who could see it* and painted what he saw - I'm trying to remember his name - I shall post a link if I find him.

It might be worth reading up on Tetrachromacy it's quite interesting.

* - It may actually have been infrared he could see, but I think it was Ultraviolet - it was a long time ago, there are two records of people being able to see UV

This post has been edited by High Treason: 18 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If you get a cell phone/digital camera and point it at the sensor emitter on your tv etc remote and push a button you can see the light though your camera.

User is offline   Kathy 

So what? Your vision is still shitty. Only through special device you were able to see more.

• I have the power!

True, we cannot see the full spectrum of electromagnetic waves...without help. This does not mean that our vision and observation aren't the principal tools of science.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 23 2010, 06:05 PM, said:

Unless this knowledge in some way helps us advance in technology, what purpose does it serve? It is cool, but kind of pointless.

This is my issue with scientists. Very occasionally they'll have a breakthrough that improves the human race, but most of the time they just seem to piss millions in grant money up the wall making 'discoveries' that don't matter to people in the slightest. It's literally amazingly stupid what they research sometimes.

• I have the power!

$300K on the sexual habits of Japanese quail on coke. That is one that I was told about by a friend. I'm pretty sure they stole the idea from TheOnion.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options