Duke4.net Forums: Blood - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Is Blood really a good game, I don't own it, but I was thinking about getting it. I've seen some gameplay, it didn't seem to well to me. Is the game worth it?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I played some of the shareware version, it's not as good as Duke imo but it had some good things going for it. I thought it was better than shadow warrior for the most part, I mean, blood has voxels, ROR, fun weapons with alt fires iirc, and good level design. If you are planning on buying it, I'm guessing it's like $4 at GOG so why not?

• tile 1018

View PostMicky C, on Jul 9 2010, 10:42 PM, said:

I played some of the shareware version, it's not as good as Duke imo but it had some good things going for it. I thought it was better than shadow warrior for the most part, I mean, blood has voxels, ROR, fun weapons with alt fires iirc, and good level design. If you are planning on buying it, I'm guessing it's like $4 at GOG so why not?

I think I'll try it. It'll give me a good excuse to put Windows 98 on one of my computers. (Even though I know it can be done with Dosbox)

View PostSpirrwell, on Jul 9 2010, 06:28 PM, said:

Is Blood really a good game, I don't own it, but I was thinking about getting it. I've seen some gameplay, it didn't seem to well to me. Is the game worth it?

Blood is a million times better than shadow warrior. Its worth getting.

User is offline   necroslut 

Definitely worth getting. It's one of the top 3 best first person shooters of all time, if you ask me.

User is offline   Shawneth 

How is it better than Shadow Warrior? I had Blood much longer and know alot about it, and just recently I got SW and it is by far the greatest in FXs and much funner enemies.

• tile 1018

Looks we have contradicting thoughts here, I guess I'll hold off.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostSpirrwell, on Jul 11 2010, 11:21 AM, said:

Looks we have contradicting thoughts here, I guess I'll hold off.

Get It, Its really good.

*You Can Have Akimbo Weapons
*Im pretty sure the one you get on GOG has the expansions too

• Honored Donor

well it's a matter of taste mostly, but blood still has great level design, great weapons, and the enemies are good too, especially when they're running around in a flaming frenzy after being shot by the flare gun :) Also Caleb's lines are much better than Lo Wang's.

You can download the shareware version from here, but yeah you still need dosbox or something. It's pretty easy to set up if you follow the instructions, but I guess that could just be me - I must be one of the youngest people to have actually used real dos :)

http://www.dosgamesa...download/blood/

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Oh really? Let's just see about the funnier lines alright Sailer Moon?

• Honored Donor

I didn't say they were funnier, I loved the lines Lo Wang uses with the babes, but the way that caleb talks just has that 'cool' feeling about it, just like Duke Nukem. Lol actually I don't really know why I'm defending blood like this, I've only actually played 3 levels of it. But I have played shadow warrior almost to the end; I got have way through the last level with the volcano then my save games mysteriously disappeared... :)

When I was about 5 years old, a guy lent us blood, I used to be AFRAID AS SHIT. We would play the "scare" game where I would play the city level (drop and get the shotgun), third episode. Then the zombie would come after a minute and watch our charachter get killed (SPOOKY).

This post has been edited by oporix: 24 November 2016 - 03:23 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

On my Blood CD (One Unit: Whole Blood) there is a bunch of CD audio. What is this audio supposed to do?

Also, how do I get the .AVI cut scenes working in the game? I tried this a long time ago using the directions that were given and they don't work.

This post has been edited by Radar1013: 30 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostRadar1013, on Jul 30 2010, 07:46 PM, said:

On my Blood CD (One Unit: Whole Blood) there is a bunch of CD audio. What is this audio supposed to do?

I believe that's the audio tracks the game would use (as BGM) if you'd have the CD in your drive.

View PostRadar1013, on Jul 30 2010, 07:46 PM, said:

Also, how do I get the .AVI cut scenes working in the game? I tried this a long time ago using the directions that were given and they don't work.

Take a look at this thread.

To the OP; yes, Blood is definitely worth getting. If you don't you're missing out on a true classic.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks for your help and quick reply! I got the cut scenes working nice and smoothly. :)

Does anyone know what the purpose of the audio tracks on the CD are? Can they somehow be configured into the game?

This post has been edited by Radar1013: 30 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Yeah, I played this last about 10 years ago back when I had a native DOS/Win98 machine, but beyond that, we have no word for a source code release or an official Windows port remake of this game.
Even with DOSBox, I'm not so sure that this game would offer the same results nowadays.

This post has been edited by WedgeBob: 30 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   zirkoni 

View PostRadar1013, on Jul 30 2010, 10:06 PM, said:

Does anyone know what the purpose of the audio tracks on the CD are? Can they somehow be configured into the game?

The game plays the cd audio during gameplay, obviously.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Well I figured at least that much. If you're so eager to write a smart-alick comment then how 'bout you put yourself to some good use and explain how you got them to work, if you would so choose.

I assume you are in DosBox? You might want to read this; http://www.dosbox.co..._a_CD-Rom_drive

I've never tried, seeing as I have DOS computers and I don't like the CD-Audio (Except Track 4 or 5 I think) - one thought though is that it might send the audio down a 4-Pin analog cable that most computers do not have anymore, but it's rare that this problem happens.

User is offline   zirkoni 

View PostRadar1013, on Aug 3 2010, 07:31 AM, said:

Well I figured at least that much. If you're so eager to write a smart-alick comment then how 'bout you put yourself to some good use and explain how you got them to work, if you would so choose.

:)
Created a bin/cue image of the original cd and mounted that in dosbox with imgmount.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks High Treason, that worked perfectly. :)

And zirkoni, you suck. :) Your method of going about this doesn't seem too efficient.

This post has been edited by Radar1013: 04 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It is if you don't want to deal with physical discs.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't mind it. :)

Oh god, I decided to buy the one unit whole from GOG.com, I never saw the port mortrem episode so I decided to give that one a run, I got to the third level and once I heard the audio I am a bit nervous to play, because they have the children's demented music thing I decided I will not bother with it with the audio. I was wondering if anyone else has heard the messed up music.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postoporix, on Aug 12 2010, 12:06 PM, said:

Oh god, I decided to buy the one unit whole from GOG.com, I never saw the port mortrem episode so I decided to give that one a run, I got to the third level and once I heard the audio I am a bit nervous to play, because they have the children's demented music thing I decided I will not bother with it with the audio. I was wondering if anyone else has heard the messed up music.

Messed up music in a HORROR game! Call 911!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Do you have a vagina, pal?

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Aug 12 2010, 01:55 PM, said:

Do you have a vagina, pal?

No, do you?

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 12 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hmm, a horror game? The only thing I found scary in that game was the music. that's all. Everything else just seemed like it was awesome, not scary. I can see how it is supposed to be scary but I guess the music was the only thing that cut it :wacko:.

It's a game from 1997, how scary do you expect it to be?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on Aug 12 2010, 06:58 PM, said:

No, do you?

That was in response to oporix, not you.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options