• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RTS games  "All da Stronghold games in one topic :o."

User is offline   Shawneth 

It's mentioned.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postoporix, on Jul 4 2010, 05:36 AM, said:

YOU PERFER I OVER II?! Red alert 2 has like..... NUKES, I am pretty sure in the first one you can't even garrison your troops into a McDonalds (Unlike in RA2)!

last time I checked RA 1 had nukes

View PostThe Commander, on Jul 4 2010, 11:11 AM, said:

But I can happily say that once the C&C games were entirely developed by EA and no longer by Westwood (aka Generals) the franchise and games turned to shit, just look at C&C 4, wtf is that shit about? No base building, no harvesting of Tiberuium. :)

I don't know if it's just me but I actually really enjoyed the c&c generals single player campaign. It was an original game as far as c&c is concerned, it's when EA went on making sequel's for westwood's other games that they really sucked.

View Postoporix, on Jul 4 2010, 12:14 PM, said:

isn't the engine the same as in RA1? If so then that's just stupid.

Nah c&c 1 and RA had that same goofy 2d engine, but a new one was created after that specifically for tiberian sun (which is my favourite of the games mostly due to the tone/atmosphere etc...) which was isometric and had voxel capability, destructable terrain and as already mentioned the dynamic lighting, that's why it took much longer to make tiberian sun than RA 1.

View PostSangman, on Jul 5 2010, 03:31 AM, said:

I don't see it mentioned here or maybe I skimmed over it but what about that C&C: Sole Survivor game? What was all that about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_C...r#Sole_Survivor

it doesn't say much but basically the player controls a single unit and goes around the map fighting other players and getting powerups, very un-cnc like.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMicky C, on Jul 6 2010, 09:42 PM, said:

last time I checked RA 1 had nukes

Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostMicky C, on Jul 6 2010, 09:42 PM, said:

I don't know if it's just me but I actually really enjoyed the c&c generals single player campaign. It was an original game as far as c&c is concerned, it's when EA went on making sequel's for westwood's other games that they really sucked.

Generals would be a fine game if it didn't have the C&C logo on it, as Red Alert and the Tiberium Sun universe actually share the same time line in history with each other.
Don't believe me, didn't think you would so here is proof.
http://www.youtube.c...eRbu0x4#t=2m20s (Listen to what Nardia and **** say at the end)

Now you find me something in Generals that ties it to the story line of Red Alert or Tib Sun. :)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 06 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

Ha! It's not a nuke, it's an atom bomb. But wait, why would they change that? I think people would perfer atom bombs.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostThe Commander, on Jul 7 2010, 12:28 AM, said:

Now you find me something in Generals that ties it to the story line of Red Alert or Tib Sun. :)

Uhhh, the particle cannon is kinda similar to the ion cannon.... nah I've not nuthin. Not that I'm trying to defend EA though :D

View Postoporix, on Jul 8 2010, 03:23 AM, said:

Ha! It's not a nuke, it's an atom bomb. But wait, why would they change that? I think people would perfer atom bombs.

You mean people would prefer the name atom bomb to nuke?

In fact, while we're on the subject of superweapons, I think they're the thing EA stuffed up the most in CnC imo.

I mean, once you've got access to a ready nuke or ion cannon, you can take out half a base if not more! I remember when the ion cannon was barely powerful enough to take out one obelisk of light. Actually iirc in Tiberian Sun, it couldn't even take out an obelisk of light. I although thought the nukes and other missiles in the games were well balanced. Now there isn't even any real difference between the ion cannon and nuke, and as if they weren't powerful enough already, they threw in all these other support powers :)

Another issue I'm sensitive about are the 'epic units,' which also used to be fun. The commando and tanya had serious attitude, and my favourites were those from Tiberian sun: Ghoststalker, the Cyborg commando, and the Epic Mammoth Mk 2 :D From what I heard about Kane's wrath (I didn't bother with it) they're actually bragging about these new units like they're some kind of revolution; "oh, check out these awesome new 'epic units' they're soooo cool and powerful and you have to build a new structure just to make them... buy our stupid game"

Now I'll probably skip going into details of how they stuffed up the gameplay by making each side similar and rock-paper-scissorsy (I didn't mind in in generals but in a true CnC game each side must have COMPLETELY different gameplay/strengths/weaknesses).

In RA2, the one thing I truley hate is the fact that if you drop a nuke over top a single miner, it barely get's damaged, that is complete BULLSHIT.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postoporix, on Jul 11 2010, 03:12 AM, said:

In RA2, the one thing I truley hate is the fact that if you drop a nuke over top a single miner, it barely get's damaged, that is complete BULLSHIT.

An Ore Truck/Miner is bigger than a Tank you know. (coming from a Red Alert 1 perspective anyway)
Posted Image

It doesn't matter what's bigger though, if a nuclear weapon is droped and it's big enough to destory half an army base, then I am pretty sure that any veicle can be annihlated along those lines too.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostTX, on Jul 4 2010, 01:39 AM, said:

The original has that whole nostalgia factor, but RA2 beats it everywhere else IMO. One of the best RTS games ever. :wacko:

RA1 has better cutscenes, especially on the soviet side. RA2 has great graphics, although a tad bit cartoony, and the missions and units are obviously better. Yuri's Revenge fucked up a lot of things however, I can't say I enjoy that one too much.

IMHO the best missions in RA2 are "Dark Night" (Allies 5), "Chrono Defense" (Soviet 7) and "Red Revolution" (Soviet 11). The last one is probably the hardest mission I've ever played in the CnC franchise. That was the only time when the computer actually outpaced me.

The best missions in RA1 were Allies 8 (with the base defense) and of course Allies 10 (the epic A bomb mission).

User is offline   NNC 

Interesting, and I already noticed it, that Duke Nukem 3D fans are usually fans of the CnC franchise, particularly RA1/2. No love for the EA games though, they are shit by anybody's standards, I don't bother to play with them.

Also worth to mention, when the franchise gets mentioned, Tiberian Sun always get the least attention. There is something wrong with that game, and I'm not sure what it is, but it's not that great. The GDI side in particular is very boring, you have to search for every single SAM site and soldier and harvester, and it's get frustrating after a while. That was the only game where the addon actually improved things.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options