Exploring Duke Nukem 3D XBLA

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Sue them, dude.

(and I mean this seriously)

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I just fired off a mail about this to the Xbox Live "Director of Programming," sort of explaining the situation without actually naming names and asking what he thinks I should do about it. We'll see if I get a reply.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on Aug 14 2010, 04:49 PM, said:

I just thought about something, is it possible the reason GB isn't releasing the source code is because Microsoft doesn't want them too. Microsoft is very serious when it comes to people modding on the Xbox 360.

That came to my mind too. While I've seen a lot of laughable PartnerNet beta leaks, I haven't seen any source releases.

• el fundador

I thought of that as well, and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what Microsoft wants them to do. Copyright law is copyright law.

User is offline   Gambini 

I have a silly question that maybe canĀ“t be replied: Do you and Eduke32 team have an agreement with 3d Realms or their distributor about having some monetary support or royalties for the copies sold via GOG? I remember reading that somewhere. If so. WouldnĀ“t this somehow screw up that benefit? Not that you should restrain your actions towards this, but surely something to keep in mind.

Whatever you do, i think they deserve to be sued if the copyright law infringement can be proved. They have been bugging everybody that put a blond guy with glasses in a mod for other game. They have been making the copy rights a banner. even Duke Nukem was a character from some comic and most of the gameĀ“s taunts are taken from the movie from where Deeperthougth took his avatar.

EDIT: Moreover, I hope you sue them, win the judgment and get the rights over Duke Nukem Forever as compensation. :wacko:

This post has been edited by Gambini: 15 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The only such agreement is just a referral agreement, which means anyone that clicks the GOG.COM link on duke4.net or eduke32.com and buys anything there will cause a portion of the profits (some small percentage that I don't remember offhand) to be shared between Yatta and TerminX. It's purely a GOG thing, isn't limited to Duke3D and doesn't involve 3D Realms or any other parties.

• el fundador

Yeah, what Plagman said about the GOG partnership is perfectly accurate. Anytime the GOG banner is clicked and a new account is registered afterward we get a 10% commission on their purchases. To make things easier we just pool all the clicks from duke4.net/eduke32.com/these forums into a single affiliate account and me and Yatta each take half. So, I get just under 30 cents for every copy of Duke3D sold, for example.

User is offline   Stubbs31 

nice example wish i can give a example myself but i know wut sum ppl should do they should actully make a duke3d xbla mod for eduke32 but no one cant

• el fundador

i no no wut ur seying ken u b mor spacafak

thnx

moon shoes!!!!!!!!!1

User is offline   Fox 

Duke Nukem XBLA would not be a "mod", since it's not a different game at all. There are little, very little, differences. The only actual difference that affect gameplay is the health given by fountain health and a patch to fix cooperative play in Critical Mass.

Other than that, there are different menus and different game messages, which technically are not related to gameplay.

Either way, I would not call it a "mod" but rather a "patch". And if that's the case, I would prefer Eduke32 itself actually replicate some features from XBLA, i.e. removing "Mighty Foot engaged" message (currently it has some sort of work around for it not be so annoying, but the message is still there).

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostFox, on Aug 15 2010, 08:25 PM, said:

Duke Nukem XBLA would not be a "mod", since it's not a different game at all. There are little, very little, differences. The only actual difference that affect gameplay is the health given by fountain health and a patch to fix cooperative play in Critical Mass.

The mighty foot is more powerful too.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostTX, on Aug 16 2010, 12:03 PM, said:

i no no wut ur seying ken u b mor spacafak

thnx

moon shoes!!!!!!!!!1

I lol'd

well true it should be a patch but anyways it's alittle bit different from duke3d on pc well the intro i wish was in the game :wacko:

This post has been edited by Stubbs31: 16 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Intro? You mean the nuke symbol explosion and the 3DR logo animation? Those are already in the works but we're waiting for something that can properly replace ANM files which is a bit of a nuisance right now.

anm files hmm i think i have a program but i dont know where i put it hmm well anyways sweet! :wacko: :)

• The Sarien Encounter

No, you don't have a program. ANM files are specific to the Build engine. The guys at EDuke32 are still looking for ways to replace them with AVIs or OGG Theora videos or something to replace the pixelated ANMs. Apparently it's a very troublesome issue.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 16 2010, 08:21 AM, said:

No, you don't have a program. ANM files are specific to the Build engine. The guys at EDuke32 are still looking for ways to replace them with AVIs or OGG Theora videos or something to replace the pixelated ANMs. Apparently it's a very troublesome issue.

Well yea it would be a troublesome issue did u say ogg of cource you did well there is one program that well convert stuff into a ogg file

• The Sarien Encounter

No. OGG Theora Video. Not OGG. And it's not about converting, it's about programming EDuke32 so that you can replace the ANM files with OGG Theora videos much like how you can replace sprites with models and ART textures with PNG textures. It's not a simple task or it would have been done already.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 16 2010, 10:21 AM, said:

.ANMs aren't actually specific to the BUILD engine, but I haven't seen them used anywhere else.

View PostStubbs31, on Aug 16 2010, 10:07 AM, said:

anm files hmm i think i have a program but i dont know where i put it hmm well anyways sweet! :wacko: :)

View PostStubbs31, on Aug 16 2010, 10:47 AM, said:

Well yea it would be a troublesome issue did u say ogg of cource you did well there is one program that well convert stuff into a ogg file

You and your programs. B) Of course there are programs to make ANM and convert "stuff" into "a ogg file", but you are such a n00b that you don't know that the ANM format is so shitty they are of no use and I've already converted "stuff" into "a ogg file".

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 16 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

You and your programs. :wacko: Of course there are programs to make ANM and convert "stuff" into "a ogg file", but you are such a n00b that you don't know that the ANM format is so shitty they are of no use and I've already converted "stuff" into "a ogg file".
[/quote]
First of all im new here and i forget most stuff bout programing and secound of all i hate bein called n00b it pisses me off when i get called that

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 16 2010, 10:17 AM, said:

.ANMs aren't actually specific to the BUILD engine, but I haven't seen them used anywhere else.

You and your programs. :) Of course there are programs to make ANM and convert "stuff" into "a ogg file", but you are such a n00b that you don't know that the ANM format is so shitty they are of no use and I've already converted "stuff" into "a ogg file".

First of all im new here and i forget most stuff bout programing and secound of all i hate bein called n00b it pisses me off when i get called that :wacko:

This post has been edited by Stubbs31: 16 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Don't get all uptight about it. Just don't go shooting your mouth off an being all sarcastic about things you obviously don't understand.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostStubbs31, on Aug 17 2010, 06:24 AM, said:

First of all im new here and i forget most stuff bout programing and secound of all i hate bein called n00b it pisses me off when i get called that :wacko:

States the person who fails to quote correctly and then doubles posts instead of using the Posted Image button.
Also can't seem to spell correctly.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 16 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

View PostThe Commander, on Aug 16 2010, 12:38 PM, said:

States the person who fails to quote correctly and then doubles posts instead of using the Posted Image button.
Also can't seem to spell correctly.

i can never spell rite :wacko: im sry guys i shouldn't shoot my mouth off

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostGambini, on Aug 15 2010, 03:11 PM, said:

Whatever you do, i think they deserve to be sued if the copyright law infringement can be proved. They have been bugging everybody that put a blond guy with glasses in a mod for other game. They have been making the copy rights a banner. even Duke Nukem was a character from some comic and most of the gameĀ“s taunts are taken from the movie from where Deeperthougth took his avatar.

Duke Nukem wasn't from a comic. It was an original character created in George Broussard's basement. You might be remembering that Ted Turner sued 3DR because he had a bad guy named Duke Nukem in the cartoon "Captain Planet," the case however was thrown out because the characters were completely different and existed in two different mediums. Quite a few of the one-liners are taken from the Evil Dead series, but quite a few of them are original or rather common in the first place. It's not copyright infringement, however, it's well within parody laws, much like Serious Sam being a parody of Duke.

View PostStubbs31, on Aug 16 2010, 02:23 PM, said:

First of all im new here and i forget most stuff bout programing and secound of all i hate bein called n00b it pisses me off when i get called that

Protip: Don't act like a noob; You won't be treated like a noob.

User is offline   Fox 

Here in Duke4.net people seems to start fighting over the Internet for no apparent reason. :wacko:

View PostFox, on Aug 17 2010, 01:02 PM, said:

Here in Duke4.net people seems to start fighting over the Internet for no apparent reason. :wacko:

Them be fighting words. :)

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostReaperMan, on Aug 17 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

Them be fighting words. :wacko:

Correction! Em's fight'n words

View PostSkulldog, on Aug 17 2010, 11:10 PM, said:

Correction! Em's fight'n words

Sorry :wacko:

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 17 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on Aug 17 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Sorry :wacko:

I dont like your attitude. Do you understand? :)

Dont make me come over there and work you over, ReaperMan.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options