Duke4.net Forums: An eDuke32 Blood TC - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An eDuke32 Blood TC  "For fucks sake lets get it together"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFranpa, on Apr 15 2010, 10:35 AM, said:

I wouldn't put it past them to issue a Cease and Desist order as the project nears completion just like Square Enix did for that fan made mod of one of there games.

I'm not worried, because SwissCm has Balls of Steel!

User is offline   Cage 

I see only two things that hold this up:

1. Engine features like ROR not present in Duke, plus some other stuff like making any sprite destructible from the map editor, total control over the effects, I think Blood had sector copying too etc.

2. Hardcoded Duke actors/code stuff. If the hardcoded ones can be removed and/or moved (I think this one is possible, E32 had something like redefine? for telling the game to look for an actor in a different tile number), the Blood art files could be just moved over, stuff like fonts, engine stuff (that would be still used like shotspark, sector effectors or something) etc. moved in the DEFS and the rest, like default items, monsters, thrown out. Tell me if this is possible.

About the legal issues, if this would require orginal resources I think no one would mind? It's like making a port inside a port :P not making a remake (like the Chrono Trigger project) or a sequel (IIRC System Shock 3 project). Probably the problem would be with maps - those will need tweaking for the Duke's engine and they'd have to be distributed with the mod

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Where are the sprite numbers coded? Are they within the actual source, or are they in the separate con files?

I don't see the problems with using original resources. Isn't it like the Duke project? You would download the special package of EDuke32 for Blood, which would contain the basic EDuke exe with the needed scripts and con files to get it to read in the Blood files into the right slots within EDuke.

Then you would copy your resources from your Blood CD (GRP file?). This way, no copyrights are violated. If you start modifying original maps and artwork to be able to get it going, that might be a problem.

As for ROR, isn't that working fine in Polymer? Would it possible to issue a command within EDuke to enable the Polymer renderer, but turn off the dynamic lights for older systems/older 8-bit junkies? That way, you would get your RoR, but not have to worry about dynamic lights and performance issues.

User is offline   Stabs 

they should just release the source already so someone can make an eblood & stick the damn thing on GoG.com, they dont have to do much and they will make moneys

User is offline   Cage 

View PostTea Monster, on Apr 16 2010, 02:25 AM, said:

Where are the sprite numbers coded? Are they within the actual source, or are they in the separate con files?

I don't see the problems with using original resources. Isn't it like the Duke project? You would download the special package of EDuke32 for Blood, which would contain the basic EDuke exe with the needed scripts and con files to get it to read in the Blood files into the right slots within EDuke.

Then you would copy your resources from your Blood CD (GRP file?). This way, no copyrights are violated. If you start modifying original maps and artwork to be able to get it going, that might be a problem.

As for ROR, isn't that working fine in Polymer? Would it possible to issue a command within EDuke to enable the Polymer renderer, but turn off the dynamic lights for older systems/older 8-bit junkies? That way, you would get your RoR, but not have to worry about dynamic lights and performance issues.

Blood stores it's files in .RFF format (IIRC), it's like their own grp. If the source for the view/extract tools (kBarf or what was it's name?) is avalaible, support in E32 could be added I think.

Tile numbers are stored in DEFS.con, changing those in the original game didn't really work and messed up the game (IIRC) but I think it's not a problem in E32. If the original actors can't be completely erased then they could be moved to some high values and recoded to "actor NAME killit enda" to make them dissapear instantly

Polymer without lights =/= 8 bit mode. You still have the correct perspective and true color :P

View PostDanM, on Apr 16 2010, 05:03 AM, said:

they should just release the source already so someone can make an eblood & stick the damn thing on GoG.com, they dont have to do much and they will make moneys

Yup, because of legal bullshit we cant have a normal port.

User is offline   Gambini 

Is not there something like an .exe disassembler? I´m sure there must be a way to get the code behind Blood files so people can start a port, totally out of laws of course, but. Who cares? I don´t :P

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostGambini, on Apr 18 2010, 12:57 AM, said:

Is not there something like an .exe disassembler? I´m sure there must be a way to get the code behind Blood files so people can start a port, totally out of laws of course, but. Who cares? I don´t :P

There are but it would be illegal as you mentioned.

Decompiling a C/C++ application is a lost cause as it would still be hard to read. You would either get an ASM dump (with or without mnemonics) or some kind of C-ish code that lacks any real description. No variable names or comments or anything really easy to decrypt and put into logic.

When you code something in C like Blood, it is make into Machine Code 1s and 0s so making the source from that is impossible.

It would be easier to just do a re-make in EDUke.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 17 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   Skulldog 

Blood will be on GOG.com Thursday.

http://www.gog.com/e...nit_whole_blood

View PostSkulldog, on Apr 20 2010, 08:35 PM, said:

Blood will be on GOG.com Thursday.

http://www.gog.com/e...nit_whole_blood

For Windows XP and Vista??

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postinsane_metalhead, on Apr 20 2010, 11:51 AM, said:

For Windows XP and Vista??

Yes, that's what it says. It also says that the add-ons are included, and all for just $6. It's amazing what you can learn by clicking on a link!

User is offline   dumbguy 

Yes! Blood on GOG! So does this mean Atari let them sell it? (I wish it said the source code came with the game under free things D:)

"Minimum system requirements: Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended), 256MB RAM (512 recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard."

1GHz for Blood ? WTF ? I guess all you will get is software rendering.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 20 2010, 04:03 PM, said:

"Minimum system requirements: Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended), 256MB RAM (512 recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard."

1GHz for Blood ? WTF ? I guess all you will get is software rendering.

If you went lower than that, you would have trouble using Vista for anything, so naturally they would be requirements for a game running in Vista. Maybe you could get away with lower specs using XP, but it's simpler to list one set of specs.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 20 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postdumbguy, on Apr 20 2010, 04:12 PM, said:

(I wish it said the source code came with the game under free things D:)

That would be awesome!!!!!!

It runs under DosBox right? Well I can assure you, it's already shaky on a 2Ghz (Athlon XP 2600+ Barton) system on Windows XP Pro SP3, runs OK, but it sure slows down when the palette is meddled with (Pick an item up, fog) or the drunk effect happens and even crashes with many sprites on screen that my P75 can handle. So it will be steep like that, though I expect it runs better on most machines, my 2600 is a piece of junk - I could tell a lot of stories about that system, I even have a degree of respect for it but hate it at the same time.

User is offline   Gambini 

D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended)

What if they made a sort of Polymost renderer for the occasion?

User is offline   dumbguy 

View PostGambini, on Apr 20 2010, 09:10 PM, said:

What if they made a sort of Polymost renderer for the occasion?

Nah, that have the same specs for Redneck Rampage.

Wait, they're really selling a version that works under DosBox ? I expected some kind of port, dammit !
I had the intention to buy it, but if it really use DosBox, is a "NO WAY" for me. Now I see why the 1GHz thing.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostSwissCm, on Apr 8 2010, 08:43 PM, said:

Basically, if you're running the game at 320x200 it should be nigh-indistinguishable with the original.

I just wanted to comment saying I used to run all the build games at 800x600 and with as much colors as it was possible to enable. I thought most people ran them at least at 640x480 back then. Either way if I could have had more back then I would have done it. So now that I can I do. So I wouldn't mind seeing an eDuke32 Blood TC polymerized. That choice wouldn't stop others from running it however they want.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 21 2010, 09:51 PM, said:

Wait, they're really selling a version that works under DosBox ? I expected some kind of port, dammit !
I had the intention to buy it, but if it really use DosBox, is a "NO WAY" for me. Now I see why the 1GHz thing.

I have a copy of Blood CD, but I will try and buy this Blood if I can for the Expansions. :P That is my reason, I just may have to get a western friend to buy for me.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 21 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

User is offline   Franpa 

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 21 2010, 11:51 PM, said:

Yep, shockingly it is just like every other DOS game they sell. They use a wrapper/frontend that utilizes DOSBox to play the game.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

the only way to make this is by not making a "TC" but by making blood again.
Eduke32 has the stuff to do this, but if you forget to put 1 thing in the game, its pointless. Zblood is nothing like blood, more like a DS version of it.
so, instead of calling it "Blood TC" call it "Eduke32: BLOOD"

i dont know why everyone wants the source code, this is they best way to do it. i'd love to see it finished.

also, consider creating Blood.grp

and i think that Caleb and Duke should join forces in a game.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMr.Gerolf, on Apr 26 2010, 07:31 AM, said:

the only way to make this is by not making a "TC" but by making blood again.
Eduke32 has the stuff to do this, but if you forget to put 1 thing in the game, its pointless. Zblood is nothing like blood, more like a DS version of it.
so, instead of calling it "Blood TC" call it "Eduke32: BLOOD"

i dont know why everyone wants the source code, this is they best way to do it. i'd love to see it finished.

also, consider creating Blood.grp

and i think that Caleb and Duke should join forces in a game.

Oh dear...

It would take a while to create Blood again, and who can be bothered doing that????

Everyone want the source code so we can make a port

Caleb and Duke in one game? I dont think so

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not a programmer but I think there is a lot of behind the scenes differences between the Blood code and Eduke. How all the characters react when hit or when they fall down and die are different between the games. Or their intelligence and how they move. Its not just a matter of replacing the pig cop textures with monk textures. Or how the projectiles behave. I'm sure there is a large list of hard coded differences that would be a major project to fix. And after all that hard work, the game can be a close but not exact copy of Blood using Eduke. And that will cause a lot of people to complain "it's not original enough".

User is offline   supergoofy 

The AI in Blood is also very advanced, but this can be coded. DukePlus has already advanced AI that could be ported to a Blood TC. Monolith modded heavily the Build engine, but EDuke32 has many features (and even more) that Blood had.

Redneck Rampage is easier to be ported to EDuke32 (see eRampage) because it has con code and thus most of the functions and actors are more easy to be recreated with EDuke32 (which is also has enough difficulty). I think that Blood had hardcoded most of these and thus it cannot be created as easy as with Redneck Rampage case.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 25 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostLunick, on Apr 26 2010, 05:22 AM, said:

Caleb and Duke in one game? I dont think so

Hehe, Apogee thinks sending Duke back to WWII is a good idea for Duke Nukem Trilogy. Almost the same time period. :P What 14 years difference? ^o^ That means we can have an Aged Caleb, Duke, and B.J. in the same game. :D:D:D

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 26 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

I thought that Caleb was something like an undead, that he cannot be aged, but he can still be killed.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View Postsupergoofy, on Apr 26 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

I thought that Caleb was something like an undead, that he cannot be aged, but he can still be killed.

That could be the case, but I always thought he got a second chance at life, since at the beginning of BLOOD he says, "I live again." Which would explain why he's mortal. If he was "Undead" wouldn't he not have to breathe?

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 26 April 2010 - 02:18 AM

Maybe he has some kind of vampiric power, that's why he absorbs life essence to extend his life force. :P

User is offline   Jinroh 

View Postsupergoofy, on Apr 26 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

Maybe he has some kind of vampiric power, that's why he absorbs life essence to extend his life force. :P

Could be hehe, or maybe he just thinks hearts taste good.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options