Duke4.net Forums: Micky C's first ever map (WIP - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Micky C's first ever map (WIP

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I released this in the 'what are you working on now' thread, but I didn't get any responses, so I'm making my own thread about it. No I'm not being self centred because I'm re-releasing the map with some huge mega improvements with the performance, since I'm assuming lag is what caused the lack of responses.

It uses dukeplus 2.07 and polymer lights, and I'm hoping to add dukematch capability to it in the future, and I've already put in tonnes of secret hiding places/passages/weapon staches. There's also a button that does nothing to progress the player through the game, but I've got plans for it later on...

This is nowhere near finished. It's quite small (maybe 5 minutes of gameplay?) and there are minor issues with it to do with textures and weapon/monster placement that I'll be working on (even though some of them are deliberately distorted), as well as adding more features/details to the second half of the map. I won't be able to work on it for a really long time but I'd like to know what people think.

I'm open to criticism but remember it's my first map so don't be too harsh. I might upload some media tomorrow.

Attached File  Mike__s_map_revised.zip (151.2K)
Number of downloads: 196

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMicky C, on Feb 11 2010, 11:27 AM, said:

I released this in the 'what are you working on now' thread, but I didn't get any responses, so I'm making my own thread about it. No I'm not being self centred because I'm re-releasing the map with some huge mega improvements with the performance, since I'm assuming lag is what caused the lack of responses.

I'm open to criticism but remember it's my first map so don't be too harsh. I might upload some media tomorrow.

Not bad at all. But the Framerate completely sucked on my system (AMD64X2 2000MHz / 9600GT) so I had to switch off polymer to play. Those catapults will make deathmatch quite interesting. The different areas appear to be somewhat unrelated. However, if you want more comments on your map I think you are better off posting it at the AMC forums unless a mapping subforum is established at this place.

User is offline   Spiker 

Good map ;) Not spectacular but a good one :P Some really nice effects.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Unplayable in Polymer mode.

User is offline   Mark 

I went into god mode and easy difficulty setting and cruised around the map and did some fighting just to give it a quick checkout. I think its coming along pretty good. My frame rate with Polymer averaged 40-50 FPS and dropped down to about 20 FPS in a few areas during heavy fighting. But it was still playable. But in a higher difficulty setting with more action it might get a little too choppy to play. I didn't play the entire map so there may be other slowdowns that I didn't encounter that made it unplayable for others.

This post has been edited by Marked: 11 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostLeoD, on Feb 11 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

Not bad at all. But the Framerate completely sucked on my system (AMD64X2 2000MHz / 9600GT) so I had to switch off polymer to play. Those catapults will make deathmatch quite interesting. The different areas appear to be somewhat unrelated. However, if you want more comments on your map I think you are better off posting it at the AMC forums unless a mapping subforum is established at this place.

Thanks everyone for commenting. Framerate was good for me on an intel quadcore 2.33gh processor/9800GT graphics card except for in the park which went as low as 9FPS (enough to give me mouse lag for a bit.)

I don't suppose they allow half finished maps to be posted up at AMC?

Edit: lol what am I talking about? I posted a half finished map here afterall ;) I had a look over there and there's a forum for 'in construction' but it seemed to be all TCs and stuff. I'd feel kind of bad making 2 threads about it...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 February 2010 - 11:40 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options