Duke4.net Forums: anyone up for a game? (YANG) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

anyone up for a game? (YANG)

User is offline   atlas 

hey everyone,

was just wondering if anyone wants to go a few rounds on YANG. it seems everyone who plays on yang only plays with the xduke port - which doesn't really make sense because eduke32 is so great! regardless. any eduke32 players want to dukematch it up, or play some co-op?

maybe we could start having a weekly game night or something.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm interested, but I haven't played on YANG for a really, really long time. In fact, I've only actually played one online game :S

I guess we'll have to take things into account like time zones. I'm in one of those weird half hour zones in Australia; + 10 and a half hours from GMT, and I'm not sure whether that takes into account Daylight savings which changes it by an hour. Edit: I just checked out your local time and it's roughly 9:10 pm, but as of this edit it's roughly 3:40 pm over here, which means it's five and a half hours earlier for me. We should be able to work around it with planning, if you're still interested.

Multiplayer is definitely working though right? I thought it'd gone a bit buggy since TX put in true server/client coding?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Look for VinDukem rolling around on the Harley. Racing, anyone? ;)

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMicky C, on Jan 22 2010, 06:06 AM, said:

Multiplayer is definitely working though right? I thought it'd gone a bit buggy since TX put in true server/client coding?

I had a game yesterday and everything went smooth. Played for about 5-10 minutes.

I don't understand either why people are still using xDuke since EDuke32 is superior on pretty much all accounts.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostLoke, on Jan 23 2010, 02:07 AM, said:

I had a game yesterday and everything went smooth. Played for about 5-10 minutes.

I don't understand either why people are still using xDuke since EDuke32 is superior on pretty much all accounts.

Was that using Server/client or YANG?
Hopefully we will be able to see some dedicated servers soon in the not so distant future. ;)

User is offline   atlas 

does duke nukem 3d come in a port when you buy it from gog? thats the only reason i could think of.

okay, well as micky mentioned, we all are in very different timezones, so in order to arrange a game night we should go by GMT time. if this is to become an official thing we should also have two game times, so that players in different countries can have options. (as opposed to one time, where they may have to play at a time that is close to 4am or something.)

also make sure you have the latest YANG client from here: http://ny.duke4.net/
you should probably also get the latest eduke if you don't have it already

so i'm -5 GMT here. i suppose 10 o clock on sunday night would be an alright time for me (GMT 2AM). for micky that would be 5 o clock. loke, for you that would be 3 am in the morning (this is why we would want two games instead of one) VisaneOne you would have the same time as me.

here is a site that can figure out GMT time for you.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

any chance that we could get this thread stickied if we figure out a weekly official game night?

View Postatlas, on Jan 23 2010, 02:25 AM, said:

you should probably also get the latest eduke if you don't have it already

I can see problems with this already.

If your meaning the EDuke32 Oct 17 2009 version, then that is not the latest.

The latest version is always here, but you need to compile it.
http://eduke32.svn.s...viewvc/eduke32/

So you really need to define which version to use. The latest versions that you can download with out needing to compile can be found here.
http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/ - Download the one that ends in .ZIP and not .GZ

User is offline   Loke 

View PostThe Commander, on Jan 22 2010, 02:17 PM, said:

Was that using Server/client or YANG?

YANG.

User is offline   atlas 

im talking about the latest version you can download without needing to compile commander.

so are you saying that the vrsions downloaded from the eduke32 wesbite are not the same as those on that wesbite?

This post has been edited by atlas: 22 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

View Postatlas, on Jan 23 2010, 03:24 AM, said:

im talking about the latest version you can download without needing to compile commander.

so are you saying that the vrsions downloaded from the eduke32 wesbite are not the same as those on that wesbite?

You need to make more sense, The one that is downloaded from www.eduke32.com is the same one that is on this page, as it links to it if you look at the URL. http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/

But in terms of it being the latest version, no it is not. It is 3 months old, the latest version is only a day old.

Thats why you need to use the ones on this page: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/
The newest one will always be at the bottom, and no you don't need to compile it as long as you download the .ZIP file.

User is offline   atlas 

sorry commander, that was early this morning and i was kinda scrambled.
so everyone should have the latest self-installing version of eduke32 from the site commander provided. (the one on the bottom)

now, what about a time?

• Honored Donor

I'd only be able to play on weekends. And I'm definitely +10.5 hours GMT according to that website, but I can tell this is going to get quite confusing if we get more people. I like atlas's idea of going by Greenwich Mean Time, let's use the reference point of 12pm (midday) GMT, and state what time it would be at your location if it's 12pm there. So for me it's 1:30 am (a bit early).

On a separate note, I'm kind of worried that I might do something wrong that holds everyone up, or leaving the game halfway through for some reason and letting people down. Are people going to be understanding about that?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 22 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostMicky C, on Jan 23 2010, 05:40 PM, said:

or leaving the game halfway through for some reason and letting people down. Are people going to be understanding about that?

If using the Server/Client MP that shouldn't matter to much as you can join/leave when ever you want.
But it would be my guess that not many people are familiar with the use of it.
Though if you know much about console connecting to games in things like Source games etc you shouldn't have a problem.

You can also make a .BAT file for ease of use.

• Honored Donor

Ok, now we just have to make a list of people who are interested in this. as far as I can tell it's:

Me,
atlas,
you?

I'm more interested in testing/playing out the Server/Client than using YANG... Hmmm

This post has been edited by The Commander: 23 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

User is offline   atlas 

im not sure if i know how to use the server/client method. i heard this is being implemented but i dpm't know if it's in eduke32 yet or how to use it if it already is.

• Honored Donor

I've tried it over lan, it works to a degree. We have to start eduke32 with command parameters and connect manually. Note I don't understand this, I just try my best to figure out what I can from the forums and trial and error my way through.

Perhaps we should use the client/server then? We get to Dukematch and help TX find and sort out bugs, it's a win win. As long as at least one of us knows what they're doing.

If you're gonna use client/server, you can count me in, but I'm not familiar with how the new client/server works yet - I'll toy with it on my network.
I would have posted sooner, but it looked like you were going to use yang, which has never worked for me (I think it argued with my DNS server, as the problem could not be solved and that's probably a major difference compared to other peoples setups)

To use Server/Client is rather easy.
Who is is hosting needs to make a simple .BAT file that reads.

eduke32.exe -server

People joining need theirs to read,

EDuke32.exe -connect XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

XXX stands for the hosts IP address obviously, you don't put the port either, just the IP.

edit: people wishing to join can also do it from the console once on the main menu just like a Source game ect by putting
"connect PERSONS IP ADRESS"

This post has been edited by The Commander: 24 January 2010 - 02:09 AM

Ah, cool. i'll test it out on my network later. a lot of these newer features seem to be undocumented. I'm considering seeing if I can add some to the Wiki (hmm, but this is me, and I tend to forget/get lazy)

Oh, and this would be a good client batch file;

@echo off
title EDuke32 Multiplayer Launch
cls
set /p servip=Type the IP Address of the Server:
cls
echo Starting EDuke32 and connecting to %servip%...
start eduke32.exe -connect %servip%
echo should exit now
exit

That way you wouldn't have to modify it, I'm actually tempted to make some kind of frontend for this stuff. as you can probably tell, I'm at that hyper state of being tired again.

User is offline   atlas 

it would be great if someone made a bat file or all of us to use to connect to the host's server.

so i think sunday could still work, judging by the times people have given. perhaps we could do something like GMT 16:00 or 17:00 (that would be around noon for anyone on the east coast.)

I'm guessing you mean next sunday. That should be OK, I will look forward to it, I've missed been online since that YANG came in, bet my skills are all gone.

Anyhow, try these out: ftp://treason.dyndns.org/ebats.zip haven't tested them properly yet (I am on my ancient laptop), but they should work. Tell me if there's a problem with them, features minimal, but;

> Crappy error handle tells you if EDuke32 is not present.
> Can carry over up to 5 command line parameters/arguments (Which is useful for mods and stuff)
> In .EXE format because .bat files look messy, though they are barely any more advanced than batch files
> Client Launcher remembers the previous IP address used, thus you can reconnect without having to type it in again
> Launcher closes after EDuke32 has executed, unlike many other programs of this nature

I'm guessing it's better to make IP addresses flexible, but I (or someone else) could easily make a very simple bat to run a preset IP address.

User is offline   atlas 

okay

it is now 3:26 PM (20:26PM GMT) i am running a server using high Treason's bat files.
my IP is 67.252.110.164

need a few people to download high treasons client bat files and test my server

I've tested it, but I can't connect. your firewall might be set up incorrectly - and I know sod all about firewalls - make sure you added EDuke32 as an exception to that. however I pinged the IP address you gave out, and it just said the request timed out. so your IP may have changed or something else is borked (I'm pointing fingers at the firewall).

Though it may be my ISP being assholes again (They blocked the ports for Halo once)

User is offline   atlas 

no it sounds right. i couldn't host servers with yang either.

we need another volunteer to host !

I'll give it a shot, my IP is 77.86.108.5 - but if it don't work, ping treason.dyndns.org to see if it has changed itself.
I'll need a couple of minutes to start it up, and as far as I know, you die on first spawn when you are the client, not permanent yet, just to test it out.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 24 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

User is offline   atlas 

i tried it. i don't know if you have it running yet but when eduke32 loads from the client bat it brings me to the main menu. treason.dyndns.org seems to time out when i try to access it/ping it.

Yeah, the connection crashed right after that post, I am now at 87.102.86.146 apparently, it takes a while for the DNS to catch up. It's switch-over time for the ISP

User is offline   atlas 

no dice. by any chance are you running the eduke snapshot that was released yesterday?

I downloaded it from the link the commander put in this thread earlier, http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/ i got 1594 - I did this just before testing your server.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options