Duke4.net Forums: Smart people.. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smart people..

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Around these parts, I would definitely consider Plagman more important than some lame holiday to get drunk on.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostMblackwell, on Dec 31 2009, 08:51 PM, said:

Or he was just full of crap and didn't know what he was talking about. Especially since Build uses Sector Portals and Doom uses BSD Trees. They are completely different methods of rendering. They are similar in the fact that the both end up drawing images on the screen eventually though.

I might be wrong but. Are you sure you´re not confusing Doom with Quake? Ken Silverman (who made Build) designed a sector based engine thanks to a phone call he made to John Carmack (Who made Doom engine) and he gave him the idea. So both engines share the same concept. That´s totally different than saying they have code in common, or that one is based in the other one.

The BSP trees system is what Quake Engine uses.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 2 2010, 01:28 AM, said:

Around these parts, I would definitely consider Plagman more important than some lame holiday to get drunk on.

Agree! While I don't think my comp will run it (intel 945 mobile), Plagman gave the world Polymer. Isn't that worth celebrating him :lol:

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 02 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostGambini, on Jan 2 2010, 06:49 AM, said:

I might be wrong but. Are you sure you´re not confusing Doom with Quake? Ken Silverman (who made Build) designed a sector based engine thanks to a phone call he made to John Carmack (Who made Doom engine) and he gave him the idea. So both engines share the same concept. That´s totally different than saying they have code in common, or that one is based in the other one.

The BSP trees system is what Quake Engine uses.

You're right about the Quake engine, but the original Doom engine also relies on BSP trees for its visibility checks. They're both based around sectors, but their implementation is way different.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

I just wanted to say... Plagman is the writter of the Nukem Bible. Without him there would'nt be a new year... I read that in the bible.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 02 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options