Duke4.net Forums: Duke's Back! - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke's Back!  "Let's just get it done"

User is online   Sangman 

Honestly I doubt anyone who still works at 3DR is browsing the Duke Nukem forum and cares enough about what's going on in there. They're gonna start caring when/if this project actually shows some promise (can't blame them)

User is offline   Justyce 

View PostSangman, on Jan 23 2010, 09:48 AM, said:

Honestly I doubt anyone who still works at 3DR is browsing the Duke Nukem forum and cares enough about what's going on in there. They're gonna start caring when/if this project actually shows some promise (can't blame them)

It's not that they don't browse the 3dr forums (they do and post stuff also)
It's not that they don't care
It's not that I was looking for permission
-
It was to make sure that it was posted is a position that they could view easily and reply to if they ever felt the need to.
-
No real updates yet on intro level except.
The swimming crap earlier, was because the level starts off in a marina then out at sea.
Made swim-able water in marina but since swimming in a naval fight is crazy made no swim-able at sea, tough part was working out the change in water swimming, without letter player get stuck in edge between types of water. So farg it, no swimming in marina either. See I just saved days/weeks of programming and wasting time, by compromising on one feature just not needed on this level of the game, maybe swimming later but not in the intro level. Why beat my head against a wall debugging when the bug can just be avoided. (ok so that was a crack at G.B. so what)

User is online   Sangman 

So the water is enterable but not swimable or neither? Some objects blocking the player from entering the water would've been more handy I reckon.. (like the ship in Call of Cthulhu)

User is offline   SBG 

Not to fuel the fire that is this project, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in:

While it is a very ambitious project, and has a high rate of failure, it is plausible. I would love to play a Duke game on the Unreal Engine. If you require music or sounds, I'd love to offer my help.

While there is haters, I'd say let the guy do what he wants. Even if it does fall through, he's still learned something valuable; both in life and in programming.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSBG, on Jan 30 2010, 09:49 AM, said:

Not to fuel the fire that is this project, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in:

While it is a very ambitious project, and has a high rate of failure, it is plausible. I would love to play a Duke game on the Unreal Engine. If you require music or sounds, I'd love to offer my help.

While there is haters, I'd say let the guy do what he wants. Even if it does fall through, he's still learned something valuable; both in life and in programming.

I agree.

View PostSBG, on Jan 29 2010, 06:19 PM, said:

thanks dude.
When I make some actual postable progress, I'll make sure and take several screenshots.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSBG, on Jan 30 2010, 01:19 AM, said:

Haters?

We're simply relying on our experience of the past to warn this guy before he heads for some wild goose chase. You could even argue that it's our responsibility to do so.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostJustyce, on Jan 27 2010, 05:07 PM, said:

It's not that they don't browse the 3dr forums (they do and post stuff also)
It's not that they don't care
It's not that I was looking for permission
-
It was to make sure that it was posted is a position that they could view easily and reply to if they ever felt the need to.
-
No real updates yet on intro level except.
The swimming crap earlier, was because the level starts off in a marina then out at sea.
Made swim-able water in marina but since swimming in a naval fight is crazy made no swim-able at sea, tough part was working out the change in water swimming, without letter player get stuck in edge between types of water. So farg it, no swimming in marina either. See I just saved days/weeks of programming and wasting time, by compromising on one feature just not needed on this level of the game, maybe swimming later but not in the intro level. Why beat my head against a wall debugging when the bug can just be avoided. (ok so that was a crack at G.B. so what)
Big storm, big waves, strong undertoe, no lifeguard, no swimming!

User is offline   SBG 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 1 2010, 05:19 PM, said:

Haters?

We're simply relying on our experience of the past to warn this guy before he heads for some wild goose chase. You could even argue that it's our responsibility to do so.

And I would agree with that. You've done your duty. You've warned him; he's refused your advice. Just let him do what he wants.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSBG, on Feb 2 2010, 04:13 PM, said:

Just let him do what he wants.

Strawman. So far no one has suggested that he should not be allowed to do what he wants.

F'it - tired of politely trying to get support
-
some supportive, some helpful, some standing back letting me at least try, many just kicking me down.
-
so F'it - no more posts till game done (just like 3DR, that's the way Duke fans like it right? cuz hey 13 years of we will tell you when its done has worked so far)
-
account closing in 10 mins or less
Yatta - thanks for the chance to participate

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostJustyce, on Feb 2 2010, 10:33 AM, said:

some supportive, some helpful, some standing back letting me at least try, many just kicking me down.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has said you cant try. People are telling you to be realistic. I see no one "kicking you down." What I see is you looking for excuse to quit. Your own failure is your own making. Nobody can STOP you except yourself.

Trust me, as someone who had a project shut down as we were going full tilt, I know that you have to watch your ambition. You're NOT going to get full support from people just by saying "Im doing this." You have to show that you CAN do it, and make it happen for real.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostCommando Nukem, on Feb 3 2010, 02:44 PM, said:

You're NOT going to get full support from people just by saying "Im doing this." You have to show that you CAN do it, and make it happen for real.

I agree with this statement.

This is what you should have done before even making a thread like this, If you had started the thread with actual pictures/videos etc then people may have taken it more seriously.

Bottom line,

Idea Threads Suck

User is offline   SBG 

Has anyone noticed that the OP for this, and the 3dwiz seem very similar. They hate 3DR and GB, think they've got balls of steel and will take on 3DR and create the next best thing?

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostSBG, on Feb 3 2010, 08:03 AM, said:

Has anyone noticed that the OP for this, and the 3dwiz seem very similar. They hate 3DR and GB, think they've got balls of steel and will take on 3DR and create the next best thing?

Whats 'OP'? Same 'MO' maybe. But I think his motivation is because the Unreal 3 engine is free for anyone to use. Learn how, and make any game you want with it.

User is offline   SBG 

View PostVinsaneOne, on Feb 4 2010, 03:13 AM, said:

Whats 'OP'? Same 'MO' maybe. But I think his motivation is because the Unreal 3 engine is free for anyone to use. Learn how, and make any game you want with it.

Original Poster.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

View PostSBG, on Feb 3 2010, 06:03 AM, said:

We must be 3 people then because i hate GB more than anyone in the world. And i am sure there are others. In fact i may be wrong but don't Yatta dislike GB?

This post has been edited by DISRUPTOR: 14 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   SBG 

Why is this topic still going? >.<

And what I meant was Justyce and 3dwizard both think that they've got 't3h l33t sk177s' in order take down 3drealms/create a new dnf from scratch.

View PostSBG, on Feb 15 2010, 05:39 AM, said:

Why is this topic still going? >.<

And what I meant was Justyce and 3dwizard both think that they've got 't3h l33t sk177s' in order take down 3drealms/create a new dnf from scratch.

Well i have been working on my own Duke game for 2 years now and it looks like a joke. I also had 6 people working on it with me. I fail to see how they could achieve this personally.

User is offline   SBG 

You're working on your own duke game? O.o

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Feb 15 2010, 12:08 PM, said:

Well i have been working on my own Duke game for 2 years now and it looks like a joke.

I demand pictures!!!

View PostReaperMan, on Feb 15 2010, 09:32 AM, said:

I demand pictures!!!

Who are you to demand anything from me?
And I believe I already stated that it looks like a joke?
Well if you just want me to post pics so you can rip the shit out of them in the hopes I will kick off then good luck with that. No comments about my game will put me in a bad mood as I have stated my self that it looks like garbage. But whatever.
Here knock yourself out.
Posted Image

User is online   Sangman 

Hehe, looks awesome <_<

User is offline   Spiker 

A striper pigcop? LOL <_<

View PostSpiker, on Feb 15 2010, 12:52 PM, said:

A striper pigcop? LOL <_<

Actually he is behind the bar. After you take him out 2 more come through the door at the back.

User is offline   Spiker 

Engine?

View PostSpiker, on Feb 15 2010, 01:12 PM, said:

Engine?

It was built for the game. As I said there were 6 people working on this.

User is offline   Spiker 

Another dead project. If it was real in the first place.

View PostSpiker, on Feb 15 2010, 01:25 PM, said:

Another dead project. If it was real in the first place.

It's not dead. It is on hold because all but 2 of us went off to uni
Though I doubt 3DR is going to like this. I hadn't posted it before because I was asked by my buddy Ryan not to as he wanted to finish it before 3DR could do anything.
Although it has been a little while I still have hope for it. But I can't afford to give you anything else until it's done.

This post has been edited by DISRUPTOR: 15 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   SBG 

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Feb 15 2010, 05:02 PM, said:

But I can't afford to give you anything else until it's done.

Get down! We've got George Brussard no. 2!!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options