Duke4.net Forums: CON editing tutorials - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CON editing tutorials

User is offline   Zxcasd 

I'm new to CON coding. I've already searched through the eduke32 site tutorials but have not found what I need. The tutorials are good, but where can I find one that is more up-to-date than '96 or '97? One of the tutorials there (Jonah Bishop's) is even marked as obsolete/wrong.
1) Where can I find a correct/up-to-date one, made with eDuke32 in mind?
2) Where can I find a tutorial describing the new eDuke32-specific stuff (gamevars etc.) and how to implement them, with examples?
3) Are there IDE's/specific editors for CON editing? If so, where can I find them?
4) Any useful technical specifications, caveats, gotchas?

Thanks.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Have you looked in:

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'm not a con coder either, but for some things that I needed to fix, I found he info from the wiki.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 21 December 2009 - 08:08 AM

View PostZxcasd, on Dec 21 2009, 06:21 PM, said:

3) Are there IDE's/specific editors for CON editing? If so, where can I find them?

I use Notepad++ for editing cons. It's quite usable and can be customized to highlight some primitives, like an IDE.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I myself use Crimson editor.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

User is offline   Zxcasd 

View Postsupergoofy, on Dec 21 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

I *have* looked at those tutorials but they don't explain the basics, only how to do certain specific things; prior CON-hacking knowledge is still required. I was searching for a "total newbie"-kind of tutorial.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Unfortunately, there isn't a comprehensive total newbie type of tutorial that is aimed at introducing someone to the original 1.3D/1.5 style CONs and EDuke enhanced CONs simultaneously.

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Scripting was supposed to be something like that but it never got finished. :lol:

User is offline   Milo 

Something I've been looking for is just a "how to make a basic enemy" tutorial. Doesn't seem to be anything about...

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMilo, on Dec 22 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

Something I've been looking for is just a "how to make a basic enemy" tutorial. Doesn't seem to be anything about...

No tutorials, but I found AWOL a pretty good place to get a feel for how it worked. They didn't use any AI commands for their bad guys and for some reason that helped me understand the dynamics a bit better.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

At least check out Jonah Bishop's tutorial. It's how people like me got started. It explains what the basic CON commands are and how to use them. After that it should be easy to tackle the EDuke stuff.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 22 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I always used Reaper_Man's Center of Con Code. Has various pages explaining how to create basic actors and enemies.

Unfortunately the site was never finished and for the most part it only covers 1.5 coding, along with a tad of early Eduke.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZxcasd, on Dec 21 2009, 07:21 AM, said:

4) Any useful technical specifications, caveats, gotchas?

The scripting system itself is fairly straightforward. What causes difficulties are the many quirks in the game engine which can interfere with your code. (Here's one random example out of thousands of possible examples: If you give the player a negative vertical velocity while he is already airborne, he will fly upwards (as he should), but if you apply the same velocity to him while he is on the ground, nothing will happen). If you have trouble getting something to work, post about it on the forums and someone will most likely help you.

I'm new to CON Coding too.

I would like to need some help from you guys for CON coding and i'd rather test the Con files with DOS Duke than eDuke32

what i want to test for DOS Duke is this Human Trooper created by Cage

Posted Image

and I use dnce for CON Coding

This post has been edited by Mikko Pekkola: 02 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 02 February 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

I would like to need some help from you guys for CON coding and i'd rather test the Con files with DOS Duke than eDuke32

what i want to test for DOS Duke is this Human Trooper created by Cage

and I use dnce for CON Coding

Not sure what the question is
Let's start from the beginning
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Confaq42 (( added) this is the link I meant in the first place)
the entire page is a must know, for con coding.
Once you've read through it, post an actual question, then either I or real coders can respond.

One question I have: why limit to the Dos version of Duke 3D? EDuke32 supports Duke 3D 100%, but works on all Operating systems.

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostHank, on 02 February 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

Not sure what the question is
Let's start from the beginning
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Scripting
the entire page is a must know, for con coding.
Once you've read through it, post an actual question, then either I or real coders can respond.

One question I have: why limit to the Dos version of Duke 3D? EDuke32 supports Duke 3D 100%, but works on all Operating systems.

That's because i'd want to. So, can you help me?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 02 February 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

That's because i'd want to. So, can you help me?

Help you how? What exactly do you need?
And, if/since this is for your own project, may I suggest to open up a new thread, so people can answer or help you to your specific project queries. :P

View PostHank, on 02 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Help you how? What exactly do you need?
And, if/since this is for your own project, may I suggest to open up a new thread, so people can answer or help you to your specific project queries. :P

Yes, yes of course. This is for my own project for DOS Duke B) What i exaclty need was help for CON Coding for Human Trooper created by Cage, so i'll go open up a new thread for this

This post has been edited by Mikko Pekkola: 02 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 22 December 2009 - 01:51 PM, said:

I always used Reaper_Man's Center of Con Code. Has various pages explaining how to create basic actors and enemies.

Unfortunately the site was never finished and for the most part it only covers 1.5 coding, along with a tad of early Eduke.

Nevertheless I agree it is probably the best place to start when learning how to code a basic enemy.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The way I learned was to have a goal in mind and then keep a copy of http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Confaq42 beside me. I started small with things like "how would I make this move".

While reading Confaq42 at EDukeWiki, what i noticed was the 5th Example of how to make Duke eat food

What i read was this: "First we need to make a state function. Open the game.con file and put the following lines of code at the top of the file"

I have no idea where at the top of the file the following lines of code needs to be put and which line it needs to be put, it wasn't told in there

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Just put it somewhere before the actor's code.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Still cant work out why you would only use DOS Duke and not EDuke32.
Seems very redundant and stupid to me.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

If your going to use DOS Duke or DOS EDuke then there are CON FAQs listed here:
http://dukertcm.com/...cuments-online/

There a few years newer than the confaq by Bishop, but some portions of them where not completed.

hmm.....

Of course, i'd like to try CON Coding for both DOS Duke and EDuke if you're really thinking so

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 01 March 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

hmm.....

Of course, i'd like to try CON Coding for both DOS Duke and EDuke if you're really thinking so

Sorry to butt in again, but yes, focus on EDuke32. You can limit your programming to the so called vanilla version of Duke 3D, if you are a fan of the original look and feel for the game, but have the flexibility to expand later.Posted Image

Hank, shall we work together for CON Coding for Human Trooper, if you know something about it?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 16 March 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Hank, shall we work together for CON Coding for Human Trooper, if you know something about it?

I wish this would have been done over PM, but I need to respond. Posted Image
Sorry no.

Just open the question to all forum members. There are many people that love to program but have no buddy let alone model to work with. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

I think the LIZTROOP code could be used for the human trooper, with a few adjustments.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 March 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

I think the LIZTROOP code could be used for the human trooper, with a few adjustments.

How?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 March 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

That's what he's been trying to do for quite a while now: http://forums.duke4....-human-trooper/

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 23 March 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

That's what he's been trying to do for quite a while now: http://forums.duke4....-human-trooper/

What's that, may i ask?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options