Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Audio Upgrade Project V1 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Audio Upgrade Project V1

User is offline   engineer 

This is about 2 days of trial and error. CON code included is bone stock 1.5 + edits to allow for use of the wav files, 1.3D users can easily mod their User.con to use the new files by using the 1.5 CON as a template.

Most weapons and some ambient sounds have been done at this points, the rest will fall into place when I find/mix suitable sounds.

http://georgheissmann.googlepages.com/DN3D...Replacement.rar

Cool stuff. Since HRP primarily improves graphics, we should also consider the acoustic constituent.

I agree. I've been around the development aspect of games long enough to know the importantce audio has on the overall experience.

User is offline   Devon 

this is very intresting and also something that i would like alot.

im not sure about some of the weapon sounds though i would focus on the enviroment sounds like fire.wind,rain city sounds things like that.

great work keep it up!

This post has been edited by Devon: 29 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

The RPG was more or less inspired by Goldeneye.

User is offline   SwissCm 

You're right that sound is important to the experience of playing the game, but that is exactly why projects like these don't tend to work. Straying from the original sound design means also straying from the original games identity.

Considering that most of Duke3D's audio is based on clips from sound libraries (much like Doom) I would prefer to see something more along the lines of this: http://www.perkristi..._doom-sfx.shtml. What that guy did was essentially finding the high quality elements of the game's sound effects and remixing and remastering them, creating high quality versions of the originals. The WAD I linked makes Doom sound a hell of a lot better, though of course some sound effects can't be remade in any satisfactory way (Duke's voice for example, unless you convinced Jon St John to re-record or sourced the untouched originals somehow) the vast majority can.

This post has been edited by SwissCm: 29 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

View PostSwissCm, on Oct 29 2009, 07:47 PM, said:

You're right that sound is important to the experience of playing the game, but that is exactly why projects like these don't tend to work. Straying from the original sound design means also straying from the original games identity.

Considering that most of Duke3D's audio is based on clips from sound libraries (much like Doom) I would prefer to see something more along the lines of this: http://www.perkristi..._doom-sfx.shtml. What that guy did was essentially finding the high quality elements of the game's sound effects and remixing and remastering them, creating high quality versions of the originals. The WAD I linked makes Doom sound a hell of a lot better, though of course some sound effects can't be remade in any satisfactory way (Duke's voice for example, unless you convinced Jon St John to re-record or sourced the untouched originals somehow) the vast majority can.

The CLIPIN and CLIPOUT sounds are the HQ versions of the originals, actually.

User is offline   0815Jack 

well i think the released sound replacments a good start for this project......

...i like the fire and plane noises very much.......but for example the RPG sound should be replaced with something thats is closer to the original.

btw. shouldnt 3DR have still the tapes/cds with Jon St John voice somewhere?

User is offline   Antal 

Great work. I'm new here on the board but I like to contribute with this. I expanded engineer's soundpack with some sounds improved such as the glass sounds and added more sounds, also included new sounds for the Predator Trooper. 45 new WAV files, Hope you like em.

Download link: http://www.romes.nl/...d_soundpack.rar

This post has been edited by Antal: 01 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

Dude, go upload it to mediafire or something. I had to ask TX about it because stuff like that.... viruses are something I can't afford to get right now.

User is offline   Antal 

View Postengineer, on Nov 2 2009, 04:06 AM, said:

Dude, go upload it to mediafire or something. I had to ask TX about it because stuff like that.... viruses are something I can't afford to get right now.

Whats wrong with tinyURL? Anyway I uploaded it to another host.

This post has been edited by Antal: 01 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Those sounds rule.

I hope we can get this sort of stuff into the HRP. It'd go hand in hand with the high res music pack.

I'd be interested in formerging with/working alongside the HRP, but i'd rather wait until I have more to show for it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options