Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   NNC 

Btw. is Chuck Jones somehow related to the cartoonist, who created many Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry episodes?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostLunick, on 21 May 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

You think so? Daedolon has a separate list but this is my list of the credits for the Duke 3D Addons http://pastebin.com/TvtZyurB

This was the reason I posted the captain obvious... just forgot the thread had one last page.

You should add his name to the map credits... it had been ages since I played Duke Nuclear Winter, and I don't remember all the credits though.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 21 May 2016 - 04:13 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Not that I want to contest you but he's not listed as one of the level designers in the credits like the other three are unless Project Leader also means map design too?
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNancsi, on 21 May 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

Btw. is Chuck Jones somehow related to the cartoonist, who created many Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry episodes?

No, not him.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNancsi, on 21 May 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

Nuclear Winter maps were made by Joe Wilcox (I thought all of them, but it seems the boss level was made by someone else).

View PostNancsi, on 21 May 2016 - 04:11 AM, said:

You should add his name to the map credits

You have something substantial to base this declaration off of besides what you "thought"?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostRobman, on 20 May 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

I've experienced "bullet time" in fights and car/motocross accidents. It's pretty fascinating.

That happened to me a couple of months ago. Was picking some stuff up from the local convenience store and heard tires screeching, looked up and things definitely felt like they were happening in slow motion when I saw a truck spinning 360s while careening down the street in nearly a straight line... those stupid kids are lucky nobody died when the impact finally happened. I feel like it has something to do with whether or not what you're visually perceiving matches your subconscious expectation of what those perceptions should be.

I don't have a link on hand at the moment, but there was an article explaining the phenomenon. It has something to do with a large boost of adrenaline, and much more information flowing into your brain than usual

User is offline   Kyanos 

Similar story, I tipped a forklift, as it was happening time slowed, then split, the truck killed me... and it didn't... I picked didn't. End of story.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostForge, on 21 May 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

You have something substantial to base this declaration off of besides what you "thought"?

I'm not sure about this anymore. Maybe the credited authors' other maps should be examined and we might get the real answer.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNancsi, on 22 May 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

I'm not sure about this anymore. Maybe the credited authors' other maps should be examined and we might get the real answer.

I can see that - If a consistent style can determined . You can see the similarities between some of the maps in the addon - a few have "rough" edges and borders with the same general layout and shape in design. Others are more flat and boxy with some heavy sprite work for architecture.
There just aren't that many maps in the addon, and it already has three mappers credited. With only one or two water-marked it won't be easy to figure out who did what. Ideally getting in contact with one these people would be the best.

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Does anybody think that Mike Caraballo would like the big ding caballo ballo?

User is offline   MetHy 

Random question, I don't know where to post this. This forum needs a Mapster32 thread.

I've had a look at the wiki but with no success. In Mapster32, being able to select sector with rAlt is cool and everything but, is there a way to manually select sectors just by pointing at them? Something like hold key # + m1 ?

If there isn't, feel free to take this as a feature request.

Most of the times when I want to select a sector with rAlt other sectors I don't want get in the way so it renders the feature useless.
Sometimes, moving the map around in F3 view mode helps, but sometimes not, and that's still just a trick.

Being able to select sector(s) just by pointing at them would be wonderful. Even more so if you could select as many sectors as you want that way.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 09 May 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know why self-running demos were removed from Shadow Warrior v1.2? Is custom demo recording even possible in the retail version?

I've always wondered this too, but it could be there was a bug and they just ran out of time to fix it.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMetHy, on 27 May 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Random question, I don't know where to post this. This forum needs a Mapster32 thread.

I've had a look at the wiki but with no success. In Mapster32, being able to select sector with rAlt is cool and everything but, is there a way to manually select sectors just by pointing at them? Something like hold key # + m1 ?

If there isn't, feel free to take this as a feature request.

Most of the times when I want to select a sector with rAlt other sectors I don't want get in the way so it renders the feature useless.
Sometimes, moving the map around in F3 view mode helps, but sometimes not, and that's still just a trick.

Being able to select sector(s) just by pointing at them would be wonderful. Even more so if you could select as many sectors as you want that way.

I think you want ctrl+alt
' or ; can add or subtract sectors from what is selected already

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDrek, on 27 May 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

I think you want ctrl+alt
' or ; can add or subtract sectors from what is selected already

Nice, thanks!

Still would be nice if you could select sectors just by pointing at them, that would help a lot with SoS situations. Though I guess you can make do with the feature that greys out areas that aren't on the same level, and this.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMetHy, on 27 May 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

Nice, thanks!

Still would be nice if you could select sectors just by pointing at them, that would help a lot with SoS situations. Though I guess you can make do with the feature that greys out areas that aren't on the same level, and this.

You're welcome. I got to be good at it while working TROR, I hold ' and CTRL then tap ALT when the pointer is in a sector I want. F3 will put mapster into a side view mode that might make selecting overlapping secotrs easier.

User is offline   neznam 

View Postgerolf, on 23 March 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

Dr. Dobbs is real, but I'm sure that magazine or pamphlet is long out of print.
http://www.drdobbs.com/

EDIT: I've contacted the former owner of the site, I'll update if I find out anything. I asked if there was a chance of a photoscan, or any info at all about that magazine.

If it helps any, the name of the issue is "Dr. Dobb's Sourcebook of Games Programming (May/June 1995)", at least according to this letter by Q Studios to Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://collaboration...9510q/9510q.htm).

This post has been edited by neznam: 28 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMrFlibble, on 09 May 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know why self-running demos were removed from Shadow Warrior v1.2? Is custom demo recording even possible in the retail version?

It turns out that the demos are not disabled, it's just that v1.2 does not include any pre-recorded ones. The official Shadow Warrior walkthrough page includes downloads of demos for every level. I just checked, they work fine with the shareware version.

User is offline   Lunick 

I think the menu looks better without demos for Shadow Warrior personally but I prefer demos with Duke Nukem 3D :)

Actually I also thought that maybe they removed the demos because there's that nice title screen background for the menu. Duke3D however will show the alien slime wall texture background if no demos are present.

User is offline   MetHy 

I seem to remember the game loaded faster with no demo playing.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I found a text file found here that mentions:
4DUKE.ZIP 1120253 07/06/94 Duke Nukem 4!!!!

This seems to be a text file related to Gravis Ultrasound support.

Other file mentioned related to Duke, but that I'm sure can be explained is:
NUKEM2.PHX 1800 08/22/94 Set for Duke Nukem 2 by Apogee

and,
NUKEMINE.ZIP 614657 09/27/94 wad file

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I found a 4DUKE.ZIP that I downloaded ages ago and this was the FILE_ID.DIZ:

░▒▓█ DUKE NUKEM II -- APOGEE'S SEQUEL!! █▓▒░
APOGEE'S MATCHLESS HERO RETURNS IN VGA! This
sequel takes Duke to an alien planet where
his brain can be used to devise the ultimate
attack agaist Earth! Two years to make, this
sequel to the award-winning original boasts
more incredible action than any game ever,
with killer music, SB effects, & cinematics.
Duke uses four powerful weapons, flies an
attack shuttle, shoots in 4 directions, etc.
Multiple skill levels. 80386+ recommended.
Duke I was 1992 Shareware Game of the Year!

The zip is 1146465 bytes.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 July 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

I found a 4DUKE.ZIP that I downloaded ages ago and this was the FILE_ID.DIZ:

The FILE_ID.DIZ appears to be identical across all known versions of the shareware distribution: De-ICE installer (1,117,465b), SubZero Software installer (1,152,447b), current installer (1,146,465b). It seems that the one you have is the latest version from 3DR FTP.

User is offline   Frenkel 

View PostTristan, on 15 July 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

I found a text file found here that mentions:
4DUKE.ZIP 1120253 07/06/94 Duke Nukem 4!!!!

Duke Nukem II has 4 episodes, that's why there's a 4 in 4DUKE.ZIP.

Actually I've always assumed that the first episode of Duke Nukem II was called 4duke.zip because it came after the third episode of Duke Nukem. So it's "kind of" the fourth episode in the Duke Nukem adventure, although technically the first episode in the new game.

The same logic was applied to the naming of shareware distributions of Commander Keen: the very first episode of the first trilogy is 1keen.zip, and the first episode of the second game is 4keen.zip.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, but that was actually Episode 4 (or, technically, Commander Keen 4) not Commander Keen 2. I see what you mean, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

User is offline   Frenkel 

View PostMrFlibble, on 21 July 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

Actually I've always assumed that the first episode of Duke Nukem II was called 4duke.zip because it came after the third episode of Duke Nukem. So it's "kind of" the fourth episode in the Duke Nukem adventure, although technically the first episode in the new game.

The same logic was applied to the naming of shareware distributions of Commander Keen: the very first episode of the first trilogy is 1keen.zip, and the first episode of the second game is 4keen.zip.

That thought didn't occur to me. That's also a nice explanation.

View PostFrenkel, on 24 July 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

That thought didn't occur to me. That's also a nice explanation.

Hopefully not to derail the topic, I've always assumed that the convention of naming Apogee model shareware distributions starting with number 1 wasn't solely to get them onto or near the top of the file list - it was to indicate that the archive contained the first episode of the respective game. For Apogee/3D Realms, the only exceptions to this are the 3D Realms titles, all of which are named starting with a 3D instead.

Curiously, id Software and Raven Software seem to have never adopted this convention at all, but other shareware game developers and publishers (like MVP Software and, to a limited extent, Epic MegaGames) appear to have followed suit - possibly, too, hoping to get their files more attention by getting them higher on the alphabetically sorted file list. Note that there were other tricks to "up" a file, like adding a $ or # character at the start of the file name. I'm not sure if this was something originating with the developers/publishers or BBS sysops though.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I noticed that in v1.1 shareware, and the 1 level demo of DN3D, episode 3 is spelt as Schrapnel City. This was fixed in the the registered version to Shrapnel City.

It may have been a simple spelling error, or maybe they decided to spell it as it was in the first game.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options