• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Joe's Old Apogee Betas  "potentially of historical interest"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTerminX, on 30 September 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure that's just a shot from one of those beta recreation mods.

This is why no one should ever make a 1:1 beta recreation mod. It is OK to take scrapped elements from a prerelease but actually replicating things (like the vertical keycard arrangement in the HUD) is bad.

Here's a picture, that i talked about

This is the picture that i found on google

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah that picture was in an old magazine posted in another thread recently that I can't find at the moment.

User is offline   Jinroh 

From Mr. Flibble's post here --> Mr. Flibble's Post.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 05 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

User is offline   t800 

Hey guys, raise hand who understand text of this scanned image. ;)

World is so little place. I would never expect to see scan of Czech gaming magazine on US discussion forum.
Just to clarify things - I am from Slovakia.

This post has been edited by t800: 05 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

• Weaponized Autism

^Could you translate the whole thing for us?

The Translation thing is a good idea

I exactly don't understand the text at all and i need a translation for that text as it appears on that scanned image

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postt800, on 05 October 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

World is so little place. I would never expect to see scan of Czech gaming magazine on US discussion forum.

I wouldn't call these forums "US".

User is offline   t800 

Here it is. I didnt write my translation in this post because I dont want to spam this topic with wall of text. So I choosed .RTF document attached to this post as best way how to publish it here. I apologize in advance for many possible grammatical errors and maybe odd choice of words, but english is not my native language and translating journalistic style of writing is harder then I previously thought. So have fun reading it.

Attached File(s)

What i noticed in the screenshot seen in the scan is, that there are Pig Cops in the screen shot and what appears to be E1L3 (Death Row) level and number 9 was missing from the HUD

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 14 October 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

that there are Pig Cops in the screen shot and what appears to be E1L3 (Death Row) level and number 9 was missing from the HUD

Same with the shot which is right above it (with two RPVs). The sky texture also seems to be different.

BTW, the prison yard shot also shows quite clearly that Pig Cops are armed with double-barrelled shotguns.

User is offline   t800 

I think that not all screenshots used in this magazine article are from the same version. I suspect that they were taken from two different versions. Look at left column of screenshots. From top one look downward at second, fourth and last fifth on bottom. They have a bit different hud. Numerals are in yellow color + not digital styled and health and armor gauges have skull and armor picture in background respectively. :P
I would like to know what function did those red triangles from left and right edge of hud fullfil. Notice that on some shots they are lit up and on others not.
EDIT: Also look at bottom left screenshots, specifically at selected inventory item from hud - it displays 200% of portable medkit and left fourth shot (counting from top) has displayed 83 rockets for RPG in ammo gauge!

This post has been edited by t800: 08 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, i noticed that the left fourth shot (counting from top) is displaying 83 rockets for RPG in ammo gauge and 200% of portable medkit and a different skybox with two RPVs.

by the way, Hendricks266, i want you to give Mr.Siegler my regards, that i want to know what does his Duke Nukem 3D beta look like and what kind of stuff it includes.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 16 November 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

by the way, Hendricks266, i want you to give Mr.Siegler my regards, that i want to know what does his Duke Nukem 3D beta look like and what kind of stuff it includes.

I am not your messenger, nor will your regards have any effect whatsoever on Joe. Sorry. :P

(Especially considering I have no special standing in his eyes.)

OK, understood

View PostHendricks266, on 16 November 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

I am not your messenger, nor will your regards have any effect whatsoever on Joe. Sorry. :)

(Especially considering I have no special standing in his eyes.)

Uh, wait a sec... What's with "special standing"?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He means that while at Duke4.net he's a bit of a big shot because he helps work on eduke32, and maintains a few HRPs and music packs, to Joe he's just "another fan who wants to get his hands on the betas". So Joe won't do him any special favours or anything like that.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Thanks, now i get it

By the way, i have created my own beta collection

Posted Image

It contain games such as Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Hocus Pocus and Realms of Chaos

This post has been edited by Mikko Pekkola: 21 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Some time ago I received a message from xbryan2000x in "3D Realms Forums", where he's telling, that he contacted Joe Siegler (probably about those betas) and he replied to him. And then he told me that Joe does not work at 3D Realms anymore and he told me this, that if at least Joe has them, he could upload them for xbryan2000x for private use or something like that.

Hi

I contacted Joe Seigler finaly he replied.
he said he doesnt work at 3DRealms anymore :P
if he still has them atleast then he can upload it to me for private use

User is offline   Nacho 

I do not recommend contacting Joe regarding any betas. While he may have them he will not and can not release them publicly without permission to do so and while we may find that stuff fascinating it is not something that has ever been considered a priority nor do most companies have any intention of releasing betas and alphas. We got lucky with LameDuke.

Now, that is not saying it will never happen but a barrage of emails which I know Joe used to get from time to time is not the way to go about it. In fact it is more likely to male someone withdraw from the whole process completely.

This post has been edited by Nacho: 25 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 25 October 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Some time ago I received a message from xbryan2000x in "3D Realms Forums", where he's telling, that he contacted Joe Siegler (probably about those betas) and he replied to him. And then he told me that Joe does not work at 3D Realms anymore and he told me this, that if at least Joe has them, he could upload them for xbryan2000x for private use or something like that.

>SO MANY IMPLYING IMPLICATIONS

Posted Image

User is offline   leilei 

Because he's willing to just simply give up his betas over to a young "beta-is-betta" obsessed 13-year old, right?

View PostNacho, on 25 October 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

a barrage of emails which I know Joe used to get from time to time is not the way to go about it. In fact it is more likely to male someone withdraw from the whole process completely.
I don't think Joe should take inquiries into his beta collection so harshly. These are just passionate fans who love these games and can appreciate the unique insight an in-development build can offer. As silly as it sounds, I do believe video game preservation is a thing, and a compilation of near two decade old pre-release builds stored on a single CD is seriously at risk of becoming lost forever due to a number of reasons. Could people be a little over-enthusiastic at times? Certainly, but there's truly no harm in asking, and Joe shouldn't take offense at the ones who simply try to reach out to him. That's always the first step in getting the ball rolling. After all, that's how you were able to get the Duke Nukem: Endangered Species alpha from Action Forms, right?

Speaking of which, how is the Duke Nukem: Endangered Species alpha?

I do not recommend contacting Joe regarding any betas. While he may have them he will not and can not release them publicly without permission to do so and while we may find that stuff fascinating it is not something that has ever been considered a priority nor do most companies have any intention of releasing betas and alphas. We got lucky with LameDuke.

Nacho's right. I really felt like i wanted to see other kinds of Duke 3D betas like LameDuke.

User is offline   Nacho 

I got Duke Nukem: Endangered Species Hunter the same way we ended up getting Deadly Kiss, I was permitted to do so, so I had actual official backing. I think that may be the way to go.

I am a huge fan of the whole idea of a Video Game Museum of sorts and I would love to see those old beta builds myself since I do want them preserved. I believe it was Warren Spectre who talked about most games already being lost in time since archives were not something considered back than. I don't want that happening.

So, I am not against the idea of finding betas and alphas or games which have been just lost in time. However I do feel that something more official should be organized to do so instead of just individual passionate fans contacting people. It even effected me when I was searching for things as some contacts flat out ignored me since they had been contacted so many times by passionate fans through out the years that they just didn't want to hear about it anymore. Could I get through to them? Yes, but with more elbow grease and paperwork than I would have liked.

This post has been edited by Nacho: 26 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   leilei 

View PostRinyRed, on 25 October 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I don't think Joe should take inquiries into his beta collection so harshly. These are just passionate fans who love these games and can appreciate the unique insight an in-development build can offer.

Not always. More often than not, it's all about entitlement and attention, unfortunately. I don't really blame Joe for hoarding it all to himself with all the brats out there. There's still kids that just found the long-been-released Doom betas and bragging about having them online as if it were so secret. and then there was that facepunch thread about the Sep 97 Half-Life alpha, with so many "CAN YOU DECOMPILE MODEL'S I WANT USE BANRY FOR GARY'S MOD", misinformation (such as "IT'S QUAKE FORMAT MODEL'S") and 'dumb boxes' for those who were actually digging the thing for developmental clues...

I think the beta that initiated the said eternal september of brats was that "resident evil 1.5" shit - which overwhelms the wants for any UE1 DNF...

This post has been edited by leilei: 27 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   jet_nick 

I have questions about deadly kiss, you can know the plot?if will be new enemy or new final boss ?

• Weaponized Autism

We don't even know the plot. We were given no documentation. There are two new enemies. The final boss character is still Zilla in the data we have but there are indications that this was not supposed to be the case.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I do not recommend contacting Joe regarding any betas. While he may have them he will not and can not release them publicly without permission to do so

I was wondering, would it be legal for whoever owns any beta builds to upload gameplay videos and screenshots of those? Would that be considered fair use or not? If yes, such video and screenshot material would certainly be much better than nothing.

It is my understanding that exactly this sort of thing allowed some glimpses into the cancelled Duke Nukem Forever side-scroller game.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options