Duke4.net Forums: Blood Dosbox Launcher For Xp and Vista - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood Dosbox Launcher For Xp and Vista

User is offline   Skulldog 

Ok. I got my pc upgraded to windows 8 and VS Express 2012 for Desktop.

I am now working on Blood DosBox Launcher V5.0. So far I have:

1. Updated build to VS Express 2012 for Desktop.
2. Added new icon from supergoofy.
3. Changed MouseSensitivity back to 32768 default.

You can list any thing to improve the launcher now while I am working on it.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Requested features for all Build Engine DosBox Launcher:

1. Save current settings .cfg as global for all (compatible) addons.
Maybe this is already done, but I haven't checked the .cfg files to verify it.

2. Option to set mouse sensitivity.

3. Option to set sound and music volumes.

4. Option to set controller type.

5. Option to set DosBox RAM to 63MB (I don't know if this will help with speed).

6. Shadow warrior DosBox launcher needs an option to save the settings (probably).

7. Set the 2nd mouse button as alternate fire in Blood (2-button + 1-wheel mouses are common).

8. For Duke3D set quick boot to Q like in eduke32.

Make sure that you install the update to VS Express 2012, because it adds Windows XP compatibility and fixes few problems (I think). I think that you should search more info about compiling Windows XP compatible binaries with Visual Studio 2012.

Many thanks in advance :angry:

Note: I know that with the dos setup we can set the sound volumes, mouse sensitivity, controller type, or customize the key bindings. So maybe the steps 2, 3 and 4 are not needed. Personally I prefer to edit the .cfg manually with an editor.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 11 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postsupergoofy, on 11 March 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Requested features for all Build Engine DosBox Launcher:

5. Option to set DosBox RAM to 63MB (I don't know if this will help with speed).

6. Shadow warrior DosBox launcher needs an option to save the settings (probably).

7. Set the 2nd mouse button as alternate fire in Blood (2-button + 1-wheel mouses are common).

Make sure that you install the update to VS Express 2012, because it adds Windows XP compatibility and fixes few problems (I think). I think that you should search more info about compiling Windows XP compatible binaries with Visual Studio 2012.

Many thanks in advance :angry:

Note: I know that with the dos setup we can set the sound volumes, mouse sensitivity, controller type, or customize the key bindings. So maybe the steps 2, 3 and 4 are not needed. Personally I prefer to edit the .cfg manually with an editor.

Will those new options apply on the future updates of Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, and Shadow Warrior DOSBox Launchers?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 March 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Will those new options apply on the future updates of Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, and Shadow Warrior DOSBox Launchers?

This can work on all, Should already be done. But will check all.

No this can be done with game setup. Blood has a slider bar in game settings.

No this can be done in game setup.

This can be done for all.

I will lower the dosbox ram to 63mb for all.

This will be added to Shadow warrior.

This can be done for Blood.

This can be done for Duke3D.

Lets just focus on Blood for now.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 11 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Another suggestion for Blood DosBox launcher:

3DFX Glide support for Blood v1.20

You may want to include in your pack the latest ykhwong's DOSBox SVN build, that has support for 3DFX glide among many other features:
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

ykhwong's DOSBox SVN includes OpenGlide (glide2x.dll). It also includes true 3DFX emulation (from MAME), but it is slow.

Also you can use the glide2x.dll from nGlide:
http://www.zeus-soft...ownloads/nglide

I know though that the 3dfx 1.20 patch is unstable (suffers from memory leaks probably, and has few other bugs).

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 12 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

I tried that before. Can't get it to work.

I tried it a couple of hours ago and the image in 3dfx mode was distorted. I don't know why. I will investigate it later. If I find the reason why it had distorted image, I will post my results.

[Edit]

I couldn't fix the distorted image in 3dfx mode (it worked in Windows XP but not in Windows 7 x64)

Anyway I tried to play The Carnage Continues mod/TC and on first run it tries to extract or patch many files (probably building the sound effects file) and while doing that I see many times the message "file not found".

Posted Image

The TC loads ok, though. On second run, it immediately starts the TC (no files are extracted or patched), and it seems working(?). But I haven't played it. So I'm not sure if the TC works well.

[EDIT 2]

I played a little (till I died) The Carnage Continues mod/TC and it seems working.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 14 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yea, the addon mods need to run a setup to build sound files and stuff on first run. Except for Alone in the dark 2, it needs to run 3 times.

I have tested all the other TCs and it seems that everything works smoothly. I haven't played much each TC, in fact I have only loaded the first level (of the first episode) of each TC.

Thanks for creating those Build Engine DosBox Launchers. :angry:

Here are an updated icons pack for all Build Engine games:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ma5nhq

Credits to the original creators, I just converted them to icons

My favorites are:
blood_1.ico
duke_nukem_3d_6.ico
redneck_rampage_1.ico
shadow_warrior_2.ico

[Edit]

Here is an additional Blood icon that I haven't included in the above pack

blood_7.ico (361.40KB)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oyp42z

I think that blood_1.ico and blood_7.ico are the best. The other icons they don't look that good.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 15 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Blood Dosbox Launcher v5.0 now available.

http://buildgamedosb...x-launcher.html

Changelog for Blood Dosbox Launcher

V5.0 3-14-2013
Updated build to VS Express 2012 for Desktop.
Added new icon from supergoofy.
Changed MouseSensitivity back to 32768 default.
DosBox Config Ram set at 63MB.
Set the right mouse button as alternate fire.
Fixed default saved configs not working with Tc addons.

I did not add the ControllerType selection to the menu. Its best if it is done from blood setup.

Special notes:

Make sure you install everything your going to install before you make changes to blood config and save your Config.

Always run blood launcher one more time after you install a version of blood. Needs to do a directory cleanup on next run.

Thanks for the new release.

I don't have Windows XP installed, anymore. But I can always fire-up a Windows XP virtual machine in VirtualBox or VMware, or even in VirtualPC's XPMode. When I have the time to test it, I will let you know.

[Edit]

To do a quick test, I used XPMode (VirtualPC based Windows XP virtual machine) of Windows 7. The launcher runs ok as long as output=ddraw (overlay didn't work in XPMode). Tested only the shareware v1.1 game.

.Net FrameWork 3.5SP1 & 4.0 were installed in the Windows XP virtual machine.

Note: I think that if I tried the launcher in a Windows XP virtual machine of VMware or VirtualBox, then maybe I could use the DOSBox output=overlay.

Virtual PC somewhat supports DirectDraw acceleration (limited support), so the launcher worked with output=ddraw.

[Edit2]

In a real Windows XP environment the launcher should work 100% ok, even when output=overlay. It's just that VirtualPC sucks big time and doesn't have overlay support (???)

Tested on Windows 7 x64 (I've just unpacked the update over 4.9), and it works ok too.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 15 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Got a problem w/ 5.0. When I start up a TC, I get WASD controls and the mouse look doesn't work. Using the GOG version of Blood: OUW. That means the default.cfg doesn't work well w/ TCs.

EDIT: Oh and I'm using Windows 7 64-bit pro.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 15 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 15 March 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Got a problem w/ 5.0. When I start up a TC, I get WASD controls and the mouse look doesn't work. Using the GOG version of Blood: OUW. That means the default.cfg doesn't work well w/ TCs.

EDIT: Oh and I'm using Windows 7 64-bit pro.

Delet the default folder, then use the default button in video sound. Then make and changes you need. Then press save config. See if works then.

I found that almost all folder under mods has a old BLOOD.CFG file in them. And they don't need it from the start. I will upload a new 5.0 full zip.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 15 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostSkulldog, on 15 March 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Delet the default folder, then use the default button in video sound. Then make and changes you need. Then press save config. See if works then.

I found that almost all folder under mods has a old BLOOD.CFG file in them. And they don't need it from the start. I will upload a new 5.0 full zip.

OK. Will the new 5.0 full be the 5.1?

There is no need to change the vesion number. From what I understand he will just update all the .cfg files.

Instead of re-uploading such a big file, you can upload a .bat/.cmd that deletes the .cfg files from the mods/TCs

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 15 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 15 March 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

OK. Will the new 5.0 full be the 5.1?

No, because the file exe is still 5.0. New upload is ready.

User is offline   Mateos 

Hello,

You may update the first post with the latest changelog and download links :angry:

View Postsupergoofy, on 15 March 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

There is no need to change the vesion number. From what I understand he will just update all the .cfg files.

Instead of re-uploading such a big file, you can upload a .bat/.cmd that deletes the .cfg files from the mods/TCs

I should have removed those old cfg awhile ago. The default button will clear them out just fine. You just have
to remember to always save config after setup changes, and changes you make to video\sound menu.

As a fail safe. I made the launcher reload the BLOOD.CFG if it does not exist in the game folder. It will try for the
one in DEFAULT\BLOOD.CFG folder first. If it does not exist it uses the startup default.

View PostMateos, on 16 March 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

Hello,

You may update the first post with the latest changelog and download links :angry:

Done, Thanks!

Everything's working now. The "saving the config after setup" did the trick. Now looking forward to the updated Redneck Rampage Launcher. Then the updated Duke Nukem 3d launcher. One step at a time.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 16 March 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Everything's working now. The "saving the config after setup" did the trick. Now looking forward to the updated Redneck Rampage Launcher. Then the updated Duke Nukem 3d launcher. One step at a time.

GOOD! I I'm starting on that Redneck Rampage Launcher now.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 16 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

dosbox-glide-test.7z (2.65MB)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0di7a8

Here is a pack with latest DOSBox build with glide patch by gulikoza and dgVoodoo 2.14, preconfigured to run Blood v1.20 in 3DFX mode.

I have also included a blood.cfg, setting the resolution to 640x480 and the controller type to keyboad+mouse. bMouse is not working with 3DFX mode.

Put the Blood v1.20 files in folder \dosbox-glide-test\Games\BLOOD\ , but don't overwrite my blood.cfg (or do the necessary changes to your blood.cfg)

By default the glide2x.dll from dgVoodoo 2.14 is used. Use the dgVoodoo setup found in folder \dgVoodoo\ to remove the 3DFX watermark (in glide options) and to enable fullscreen (or do other changes).

I have also included nGlide 1.01, but for me it doesn't work (distorted image) with my gpu on Windows 7. To use nGlide, copy the glide2x.dll from folder \nGlide\ to where dosbox.exe is (overwrite the current glide2x.dll). To revert back to dgVoodoo just copy the glide2x.dll from folder \dgVoodoo\ to where dosbox.exe is.

dgVoodoo needs DirectX 11 and at least a gpu as fast as a GeForce GTS 450.

Run blood.bat to play. :angry:

Greets,
SuperGoofy

[Edit]

Usually dgVoodoo setup saves the dgVoodoo.conf file to C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\dgVoodoo\

But a local copy of dgVoodoo.conf that exists in the same folder with glide2x.dll and dosbox.exe, will override the above.

Thus if you need a preconfigured dgVoodoo.conf then download this file:

dgVoodoo.conf (69B)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/47sk86

and put it to were the dosbox.exe is. This way you will use my current settings for dgVoodoo.

Note: The gamma correction or the brightness needs to be adjusted (I haven't changed it).

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 22 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

Does not work for me. Crashes.

DOSBox version SVN
Copyright 2002-2013 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file blood.conf
Using SDL_SWSURFACE
D3D:Using triple buffering
Memory sizes above 31 MB are NOT recommended.
Stick with the default values unless you are absolutely certain.
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Glide:LFB access: read-write (no aux)
DOSBox switched to max cycles, because of the setting: cycles=auto. If the game runs too fast try a fixed cycles amount in DOSBox's options.
Glide:Activated
Glide:grSstWinOpen failed!
Glide:grSstWinOpen failed!

It should Work for
Vista SP2 + latest DirectX update (http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35) + KB971512 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971512)
Windows 7 SP1 + latest DirectX update (http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35)
Windows 8 + latest DirectX update (I don't know if the DirectX update can or should be installed on Windows 8)

and a graphics card (recommended):
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 or AMD Radeon HD 5750 or higher

maybe lower cards that support at least DirectX 10.1 can run dgVoodoo, but the performance probably will be slow (untested by me)

From dgVoodoo readme:
Requirements
---------------

- Operating system: Windows Vista/7/8 with DirectX11 installed.
- Hardware: GPU supporting DirectX feature level 10.1.

Also maybe you can try to delete the included d3dx9_43.dll (it is not needed as long as you have installed the latest DirectX update)

Tip: in blood.conf I chose output=direct3d, try to change it to output=ddraw (I doubt that this is the problem though)

Also in my system I have installed all vc redists from 2005 up to 2012

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 22 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

User is offline   irukanjji 

Hey Skulldog, in your site, there is no connection to this thread, please fix it

View Postirukanjji, on 23 March 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Hey Skulldog, in your site, there is no connection to this thread, please fix it

Done.

nGlide is a lot faster as a glide wrapper but I cannot make it work with 3DFX Blood. I tried many things, but still I cannot find the reason why.

View Postsupergoofy, on 23 March 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

nGlide is a lot faster as a glide wrapper but I cannot make it work with 3DFX Blood. I tried many things, but still I cannot find the reason why.

Maybe you need to add one of these to the blood folder Glide2x.dll, d3dx9_43.dll, Glide3x.dllm and Glidex.dll.

View Postsupergoofy, on 23 March 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Maybe you need to add one of these to the blood folder Glide2x.dll, d3dx9_43.dll, Glide3x.dllm and Glidex.dll.

Blood works only with Glide2x and there is no need (but I already tried) to copy Glide2x.ovl to Blood's folder. The Glide2x.dll is the wrapper and is on;y used by DOSBox.

In ykhwong's DOSBox build there is the option to enable real 3DFX emulation in software mode (no Glide2x.dll wrapper is needed). But this is very slow and experimental and depends only on cpu power (the 3DFX emulation is done by the cpu). I will test this more thoroughly and I will let you know.

[edit]
The 3dfx software mode is no good either. It is very slow and has image corruption.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 24 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options