Duke4.net Forums: On Line Authentication? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

On Line Authentication?

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

Prey would originally use on line authentication, but fortunately Human Head didn't have enough time to implement it before the release date. The reason Human Head would have included on line authentication is because Apogee asked them to.

Now, does this mean Duke Nukem Forever will have on line authentication? I have two arguments FOR and one argument AGAINST the statement.

Statement: "Duke Nukem Forever will have on line authentication."

Argument(s):

- The same company that wanted Prey to use on line authentication, Apogee, is developing Duke Nukem Forever. (About Apogee Software: Apogee Software Ltd., a.k.a. 3D Realms, based in Dallas, Texas, is a leading PC developer and shareware pioneer since 1987, with over 35 published titles, including the Duke Nukem series, Wolfenstein 3-D, Raptor, Terminal Velocity and Commander Keen. Current projects include Duke Nukem Forever, and two Miramax movies based on Duke Nukem and Max Payne. http://www.3drealms.com)

- It is not a secret Apogee wants to eliminate the second-hand market of games. Maybe Duke Nukem Forever will be the first attempt, using on line authentication?

Counter-Argument(s):

- The Duke Nukem Forever crowd is way more traditional than the Prey crowd. Altough Prey used to be announced 10 years ago, there was never a game released in the series, and it won the hearts of many new gamers. But Duke Nukem Forever is another story, there already got a game released in the series, called Duke Nukem 3D, so many Duke Nukem Forever fans are very traditional, and only very few new gamers are interested. Because the Duke Nukem Forever is more traditional than Prey's, maybe 3D Realms will be forced to remove on line authentication because there will bo so many complaints, on their forums and everywhere else?

What do you think? Do you have some arguments to indicate Duke Nukem Forever may, or may not, use on line authentication?

User is offline   avatar_58 

Considering how they seem to have embraced Triton and wanted it in Prey I think DNF *will* have it. It was only taken out of prey due to technical reasons, not because they listened to gamers.

So unfortunately its just going to come down to whether or not its worth it. I'm getting DNF anyway, because its been long enough.

avatar_58, on Jul 15 2006, 01:06 AM, said:

Considering how they seem to have embraced Triton and wanted it in Prey I think DNF *will* have it. It was only taken out of prey due to technical reasons, not because they listened to gamers.

I know, I mentioned that, they just didn't have enough time according to George Broussard I think. But the Duke Nukem Forever crowd is way more traditional (Do you see all those posts of people hoping Duke Nukem Forever won't even have a story? That's what I call traditional, let alone they accept evil copy protection schemes like that)

avatar_58, on Jul 15 2006, 01:06 AM, said:

So unfortunately its just going to come down to whether or not its worth it. I'm getting DNF anyway, because its been long enough.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will not buy Duke Nukem Forever in that case.

User is offline   Halcyon 

I also think that DNF will use online authentication, even though the DNF crowd is more traditional. I'm not the biggest fan of that, but I could understand the developers.

I can't understand the developers, because pirates will get around it anyway. It's only a hassle for legal costumers, especially if the servers are down for maintenance, or due to the company resigning. That's why I'm against on line authentication.
So all those evil copy protection schemes bother legal costumers, and NOT the pirates. That's why I don't support copy protection like that.

All games should be shipped without copy protection at all. At first I hesitated whether I'd buy Oblivion but now I heard it doesn't have copy protection, I'll highly probably buy it in the future!

I don't go as far as avoiding all games with copy protection, I only avoid those with really bad copy protection, like on line authentication. But when a game ships without copy protection at all, it doesn't take much to convince me to buy it :)

Cerberus_e, on Jul 14 2006, 07:46 PM, said:

But the Duke Nukem Forever crowd is way more traditional (Do you see all those posts of people hoping Duke Nukem Forever won't even have a story? That's what I call traditional, let alone they accept evil copy protection schemes like that)

No, the old members of 3dr are traditional. I'm willing to bet even if DNF is linear, story oriented and more serious than the original with online authentication it will still sell like hotcakes. Believe it or not but 3dr forums are a very small part of the gaming community :)

Of course, but the big part (everything EXCEPT the 3DR forums) is pretty uninterested in DNF, or don't know it exists.

Actually I'm willing to bet based on name recognition alone DNF will outsell everything around its release. Mark my words :)

If the sales were just up to 3drealms forums then it would tank like Duke Manhatten did.

I wonder how many people stayed gamers since Duke3D... we are exceptions, not average B)

And it's unfortunate Manhattan Project capsized. OK, that's less money that goes to Joe's loan B), but it doesn't convince other developers to make more sidescrollers B)

And it disproves your name recognition theory :)

The average age of gamers is around 30-35. That is way more than back in the DUke3d days.

I have trouble with that average... means there are many 50 plussers gaming?

Cerberus_e, on Jul 18 2006, 06:10 AM, said:

And it disproves your name recognition theory B)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it doesn't, just look at Doom 3 and HL2. People didn't buy Manhatten due to many reasons....such as it being a platformer and not DNF, being not DNF and of course: not DNF.

DNF will sell billions simply because "its the next duke nukem" and its going to be one of those games you can't 'not' play. Doom 3 did extremely well even after being blasted and hated all across the waves.....because it was Doom 3. People had been waiting since Doom 2 and it didn't matter if it was good or bad they wanted it.

I forsee DNF selling like hotcakes, and I know I won't be wrong. :) Hell Prey is selling like hotcakes and its hardly even known!

Where do you guys get your numbers from to know it's selling like hotcakes?
I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious because i want to check myself for some games :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options